Chelsea Thread

The one stipulation that remains is that clubs can add up to three new players in January, only one of whom will be eligible if they have previously played in the qualifying rounds.
yeah possible

He only played 1 game vs utrecht, dont think Roman will pay over the odds to someone cup tied. Roman is obsess w/ the CL . Chels doesn`t need Torres they need a work horse in the middle. Lamps game is stifling in the middle imo.

Nah we definitely needed someone upfront. Playing Malaria-sick,33 year old Drogba in nearly every PL game has broken him.

Like City, there's just no way Chelsea are ever going to meet the FFP rules. Therefore, I'm 100% convinced Uefa are just going to roll over and not enforce them.

If I remember correctly there isn't even a real 'punishment' defined. It's more a 'oh you don't meet our rules, so let's have a few sessions to talk about what you're doing to try and meet them in the future'.

Face it, if you want to buy titles, it's still an option. You just need a billionaire with no desire to break even.

Therefore, I'm 100% convinced Uefa are just going to roll over and not enforce them.
Because UEFA are well-known Chelsea fans :ROLL::ROLL:

And besides, CFC's aim to break even never had much to do with UEFA's joke rules. Everyone else wanted it to be so.

Last edited:
Because UEFA are well-known Chelsea fans :ROLL::ROLL:

And besides, CFC's aim to break even never had much to do with UEFA's joke rules. Everyone else wanted it to be so.

That wasn't directed at Chelsea in particular. It was directed at Inter, Real, Chelsea, Man City and any other team that don't have to break even.

Which I believe your lot should have achieved just last year? oh. :(

But with these clubs its more a case of "lets buy whoever we want, and then we'll sit down and talk about reducing whatever debts we have at the end of it".
With any other team, they look at what they have available and stay within their budget. All the thinking about debts and stuff is done before the players are bought.

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satell...creases_8.6%_to_reach_442.3_million_euros.htm

I invite you to read this document, with special attention to the last paragraph.

People always suppose on Real Madrid debts but have no ideia what is going on at the club. The debts exist however the club are making an huge effort to reduce them.

That's really strange. I don't follow them closely enough to know but those figures suggest in both years they made a profit on selling players (their EBITDA goes up after player transfers). That really doesn't sound right to me - I meant, in 2008/09 didn't they purchase Ronaldo, Benzema and Kaka? There's no way they brought in more than that on sales, surely?!

Very good point beachryan. In fact, the EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) before the transfer of players increased 19.8% and reached 111.6 million euros. Then, earnings after the transfer of players increased 38.7% to reach 145.6 million euros, in the year Madrid brought all these players you've mentioned above, so the 2009/2010 year. I don't know how they manage to do the annual revenue but I guess they take in count merchandising, tv rights and so many other issues to reach that number.

:SICK:

Chelsea_Torres_682_1241604a.jpg

sweet Carroll 9 will own this anyday..just wait and see :BYE:

This is a fascinating read.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/feb/04/john-w-henry-interview-liverpool

After reading this, the transfer fee for Caroll makes sense. Brilliant reasoning and maybe brilliant damage control (we will never know that) from Liverpool's new owner.

Very interesting read indeed. In fact, he already knew Liverpool made a good job in selling Torres and getting two great strikers spending almost nothing. The question is: Does Carroll worth that fee? Buy an unproven striker by 41M€ is a big risk. I like Carroll but when you look at what Inter did last Summer... But once again, the owners passed a message showing their strength and their commitment with the club. And yes, the new fair-play rules played and important part in this deal.

Almost forgot we are in the Chelsea Thread so we should discuss about the hat-trick Torres will score Sunday. :LOL: Just a little joke my Liverpool friends.

Last edited:
Personally, I've never liked Torres, I think he lacks commitment, hunger and skill, specially in first touch and passing. He's simply a very good finisher (though he's not even in the top 10 strikers for me). I don't know why Chelsea spent all that for him when the problems are so obviously in the midfield!

Having Anelka play as an anchor man in AMC is a joke?

The one stipulation that remains is that clubs can add up to three new players in January, only one of whom will be eligible if they have previously played in the qualifying rounds.
yeah possible

He only played 1 game vs utrecht, dont think Roman will pay over the odds to someone cup tied. Roman is obsess w/ the CL . Chels doesn`t need Torres they need a work horse in the middle. Lamps game is stifling in the middle imo.

I said that already ! it`s obvious although cech might think otherwise

010268940000400.jpg

Personally, I've never liked Torres, I think he lacks commitment, hunger and skill, specially in first touch and passing. He's simply a very good finisher (though he's not even in the top 10 strikers for me). I don't know why Chelsea spent all that for him when the problems are so obviously in the midfield!

Most of all he needs to play in different system and having passes from an AM not Anelka... I see him back in Spain in year - two..

Nevermind, thanks for the 50 mil. Chelsea.. we buy two young and hungry players with lots´s of potential to the future..

Expected some abuse as this result makes us a laughing stock until our next game.

Shame we lost due to a fuck-up by the man who's been our player of this season. Still fair play to Daglish for seeing what Ancelotti wanted to do and shutting us down.

I'd say short-term we definitely needed an attacker more than a midfielder. We could have used a good finisher in some of the league games that we didn't win despite having ~30 shots (ie Birmingham,Newcastle) and with Anelka ,who is our best finisher, playing closer to our CBs than the opposition CBs we needed someone like Torres. Not to mention that a good finisher could be vital in a cup competition like the CL that unfortunately everyone in the club is so obsessed with.

Our midfield has been mostly OK since Lamps came back. It was horrible back in December/November when we were forced to play wingers at LM but Mikel actually held it by his own. Essien has been a different player since his return and that's probably affecting our play.

In the long run, finding a replacement for Lampard will be infinitely more important than Torres.

Anelka as a trequartista could actually work. It looks good enough on paper as Nic's close control will help him in tight situations and he certainly can pass. His positioning will probably ruin it but I'm willing give it time as it produced his best Chelsea performance against Sunderland.
I tend to agree with Drekkard. Terry should've seen red or at very least, yellow, for that 2 footed challenge.
Would you mind providing a link to that incident? I missed some minutes in the second half so I didn't have a chance to see it.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember what he is on about. 1st half I think, 2 footed (on the ground) tackle on Lucas. Was as bad as Huth's from what I saw, although they didn't bother showing a replay (why would you when he's a former England captain, happens with Gerrard aswell).

I saw the tackle, too. To me it was an "orange" card (between yellow and red), but couldn't see the replay, so I could be totally wrong here.

Yeah I remember what he is on about. 1st half I think, 2 footed (on the ground) tackle on Lucas. Was as bad as Huth's from what I saw, although they didn't bother showing a replay (why would you when he's a former England captain, happens with Gerrard aswell).

That's the one. I remember the commentator sounded surprised and said something like "...well... lunging challenge by Terry..... " as if he was expecting the ref to call it.

Personally, I've never liked Torres, I think he lacks commitment, hunger and skill, specially in first touch and passing. He's simply a very good finisher

Been saying that for years! Goals win matches and he scores plenty but allround play he isn't world class in my eyes. He's technically not a great player and that's the reason he looks out of place playing for Spain.

Cardiff winning The Derby and Liverpool beating The Chavs was a great day for me. Shame about the rugby but as Meatlof says "2 out of 3 ain't bad".

He has a great first touch when he's on form but his passing doesn't really need to be better than what it is.

He constantly runs at people and kicks it too far in front of him losing the ball. He used to drive me nuts doing that. You probably don't even realise it used to happen as you don't support the team he plays for (neither do I now :) ) On the flip side, he also scored some good goals running at people but he isn't as good as other teams forward IMO (all round play / technical ability wise). Just doesn't look as comfortable on the ball as some other top class forwards.

Of course his passing needs to be a lot better than it is at the moment! Cannot agree with that comment. He is probably doing peoples heads in playing like he has been. He won't fit in Spanish team unless he bucks his ideas up. He is technically not great but as I said he has known where the net is these last few seasons. Can't argue with that.

EDIT: - Thinking about it more that above comment comes from a selfish mindset imo. It's supposed to be a team game so of course his passing needs to improve!

Last edited:
Yeah his link up play isn't as good as the other parts of his game. Not to dismiss Torres and hype Suarez, but what I did immediatly notice when Suarez played was how accurate his passing / link up play was (against Stoke). At one point he kind of curled the ball over the foot of the defender and it perfectly rolled into Kuyt's path to continue his run. It was a very small, "simple" pass, but the weighting and getting it past the defender was really impressive, as very few Liverpool players seem to have that skill in those positions. It was nice to see, as more often then not the ball is over- or underhit and the attack loses it's tempo / control.

It's a really subtle part of attacking play, but can make the difference between setting up a scoring chance or not.

Back
Top Bottom