Chelsea Thread

Maybe Roman was actually serious about the whole turning a profit thing - or perhaps he's got one eye on the new UEFA regulations related to turnover and playing in the CL. Either way, clearly no longer the premier league's big spenders.

Either way, Chelsea's squad remains the best in the league - as it has been for the past 6 seasons - so they'll definitely be competing. The real worry has to be around fitness, with Carvalho off an injury to Terry would be pretty critical. Similarly, if Drogba doesn't managed 30 or so league matches, I don't think Chelsea can win it.

But certainly no reason to go out and try to compete with City in a bidding war.

Typical Daily Mail bollocks..
Most Brazilian papers claim that the negotiations have advanced andno-one ever mentioned a tapping-up.We were cleared of all charges in the Kakuta case and I'm sure that even if Santos decided to play hardball we wouldn't have any problem.
Lazy journalism.

:YES:Santos wants to sue Chelsea for grooming players
Chelsea are talking directly with the player and no longer with the Club
This can be a problem for Chelsea
I'm sure it will Neymar One of the world's best players and the future will be very good Chelsea hire him.
And if Chelsea do not hire him surely one other major European club will hire Neymar
Here in Brazil the media treat it as better than Messi

Now that's something like it, 6-0!:SHOCK: Yesterday Chelsea has simply crushed West Bromwich. I think even the most courageous expectations could not expect it, the good fellow of Chelsea!:TU:

Gutted for Hutch,he looked excellent the few times I saw him.Happy that the club will help him with his future,he's been with us since 9 years old after all.

Really good to see the club will continue to support him as he recovers. Sucks for the lad though. Hope he goes on to something equally fulfilling.

:YES:Santos wants to sue Chelsea for grooming players
Chelsea are talking directly with the player and no longer with the Club
This can be a problem for Chelsea
I'm sure it will Neymar One of the world's best players and the future will be very good Chelsea hire him.
And if Chelsea do not hire him surely one other major European club will hire Neymar
Here in Brazil the media treat it as better than Messi

1. that might well happend after he wont transfer this season..and he wont imo.

2. nobody, i repeat NO PLAYER in current football is better as Messi. Nobody can, what he can.

We'll get them early in the knockout rounds don't worry about it.

Well we got just some cold ass away matches and the French champions,could be worse.

In case anyone's interested here's our EPL squad for 2010/2011

Chelsea's submitted squad is (19 players)

1. CECH, Petr
2. IVANOVIC, Branislav
3. COLE, Ashley
5. ESSIEN, Michael
7. RAMIRES
8. LAMPARD, Frank
10. BENAYOUN, Yossi
11. Drogba, Didier
12. MIKEL, John Obi
15. MALOUDA, Florent
17. BOSINGWA, Jose
18. ZHIRKOV, Yury
19. FERREIRA, Paulo
21. KALOU, Salomon
22. TURNBULL, Ross
26. TERRY, John
33. ALEX
39. ANELKA, Nicolas
40. HILARIO, Henrique

Our Under 21 players who currently have a squad number are (6 players):

23. STURRIDGE, Daniel
38. VAN AANHOLT, Patrick
43. BRUMA, Jeffrey
44. KAKUTA, Gael
45. BORINI, Fabio
46. McEACHRAN, Josh​

And here is our transfer window summary:
Arrivals:
  • Ramires (£17m from Benfica)
  • Yossi Benayoun (£5.5m from Liverpool)
  • Tomas Kalas (£5m from Sigma Olomouc)
Departures:
  • Ricardo Carvalho (£6m to Real Madrid)
  • Michael Ballack (free to Bayer Leverkusen)
  • Deco (free to Fluminese)
  • Joe Cole (released, now at Liverpool)
  • Juliano Belletti (released, now at Fluminense)
  • Miroslav Stoch (undisclosed to Fenerbahce)
  • Rhys Taylor (loan to Crewe)
  • Tomas Kalas (loan to Sigma Olomouc)
  • Danny Philliskirk (loan to Oxford)
  • Ryan Bertrand (loan to Nottingham Forest)
  • Ben Gordon (loan to Kilmarnock)
  • Scott Sinclair (£500,000, rising to £1m to Swansea)
  • Jack Cork (loan to Burnley)
  • Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi (free to Peterborough)
  • Michael Mancienne (loan to Wolves)
  • Nemanja Matic (loan to Vittese)
  • Matej Delac (loan to Vittese)
  • Rajkovic (loan to Vittese)
  • Franco Di Santo (undisclosed to Wigan)

I heard Di Santo was sold for about $2M or something around that figure.

Wonder what the fee for Stoch was. I think around $5-6M?

Could be good buys for their respective clubs in due time.

As for Mancienne, you'd think with the departure of Ricardo Carvalho and no new defender arrivals, perhaps he could fill that 4th CB spot and be kept this year for extra cover and get some minutes. But he's loaned out to Wolves again who I think will have a tough season and one of my fav's to go down. Good for him though, gets more playing time and comes back a better player. It's just that right now, Chelsea only have 3 real CB's anyway and with injuries and suspensions, that could prove a little short.

Wonder if there's a 'recall' clause in Mancienne's loan contract.

In other news, Jeffrey Brouma extends his contract for 4 more years! Good news! Actually I guess he's the 4th choice CB? Interesting how he gets a place in senior team ahead of Mancienne who has more EPL experience at this point.

I heard Di Santo was sold for about $2M or something around that figure.

Wonder what the fee for Stoch was. I think around $5-6M?
Yup,those were the fees reported and I'm confident that they're true
Could be good buys for their respective clubs in due time.
Stoch will probably be a success despite his big contract but I'm not so sure about DiSanto.He was quite promising when he came but the Blackburn loan didn't do him any good.From what I've seen in this pre-season he's not PL quality.

As for Mancienne, you'd think with the departure of Ricardo Carvalho and no new defender arrivals, perhaps he could fill that 4th CB spot and be kept this year for extra cover and get some minutes. But he's loaned out to Wolves again who I think will have a tough season and one of my fav's to go down. Good for him though, gets more playing time and comes back a better player. It's just that right now, Chelsea only have 3 real CB's anyway and with injuries and suspensions, that could prove a little short.

Wonder if there's a 'recall' clause in Mancienne's loan contract.

In other news, Jeffrey Brouma extends his contract for 4 more years! Good news! Actually I guess he's the 4th choice CB? Interesting how he gets a place in senior team ahead of Mancienne who has more EPL experience at this point.
The club,and presumably Ancelotti,have much more faith in Bruma than any of the older defenders,he'll definitely be our 4th choice CB and has a higher chance of getting games than most of our young players.
Mancienne is much more experienced and more versatile but he isn't really a master of any position.We could have kept him for the Belletti role but even then Bruma would still be higher in the pecking order.Hopefully he'll develop/impress at Wolves and get back in the squad.

Not much depth in that squad to be challenging on all fronts.
True,IMO either our medical staff or our under21s will have to step up this season.
We did however win the double without Essien or Bosingwa so we can only be better with them returning from injury.

19 man squad?! 6 empty slots seems a massive risk.
They're not exactly empty since some of the u21s are practically members of the squad.
Sturridge is already there despite being in the u21 list and both Bruma and VanAanholt have a good chance with our thin defence.

Ancelotti said that he would bring 5 players from the academy when we won the double and it looks like he's keeping his promise.

Yup,those were the fees reported and I'm confident that they're true
Stoch will probably be a success despite his big contract but I'm not so sure about DiSanto.He was quite promising when he came but the Blackburn loan didn't do him any good.From what I've seen in this pre-season he's not PL quality.

Yah Stoch looks like a very good player and is young and who knows how good he can get! Chelsea may live to regret this down the line but I don't really think they had a choice anyway. He wanted to take that move since they couldn't guarantee him first-team football and it was a great deal for him!

As for Di Santo, I stick by what I said about him before. The Blackburn period was largely unsuccessful but even then not as much as people say. Because while goals didn't come, he did prove useful to the team in other ways at times.

I agree that right now he's not really EPL quality. But I think while he won't become anything special, he does have enough potential to become a good EPL level target man in the future. Someone like John Carew or Peter Crouch. I can see him reach those levels which are pretty decent. Not good enough for Chelsea but a good player nonetheless. He needs to bulk up which I think he will, then his height, and presence along with good technique will be a huge weapon as he holds up the ball and brings others into play.

All in all then, I don't expect anything special from him, but I do think he'll turn out to be a decent player so considering how little Wigan paid for him, I think in time, it could prove a good purchase. Not immediately tho.

I preferred Drogba's goal...
I also think Chelsea are the best team at the moment, but watch out for Man Utd. They keep on getting points from games where they are bad (like against Sunderland)...and sooner or later surely Man Utd will start to play well....

Imagine being a player in the wall, or worse - being hit by that shot.

Sadly Alex is injured for a few weeks now. But yes, it will be interesting to look at the faces and body language in the walls when it becomes clear Alex is taking the FK.

Re the season, there's still ages to go. I wouldn't read into any form or results at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom