Chelsea Thread

Looks like Ramires is a done deal.Not really the creative genius we wanted but he'll probably be a faster version of Ballack.
Can anyone tell me more about him?

He's really good. Went to the World Cup and Confedarations Cup with Brazil so is obviously of a good level. Can run all day, pretty fast, decent on the ball, pretty good defensively. Box to box would be the best way to describe him I'd say.

Not sure why you want/need a creative genius, it doesn't really fit your system IMO. A midfield stocked with Mikel, Ramires, Essien, Malouda, Benayoun and Lampard is good enough behind your forward line.

We do need a final third player.A midfield with Essien,Lamps and Ramires would do a great job at holding the ball and controlling the play but it lacks the much needed creativity against stronger sides.We can't count on Malouda's and Drogba's moments for ever and we definitely need a "creative spark".

Hopefully Kakuta will be able to fill that position in the future but I can't see it happening yet.

For Chelsea's standards Benayoun is just a benchwarmer replacing another more expensive benchwarmer

I think Ramires will be a great fit (unfortunately for me as a United fan). A midfield featuring him, Lampard and Essien or Mikel will just run and run all day. I don't think there's a midfield in the world with that much engine behind them. And eventually they'll just wear down oppositions, and let the quality Chelsea have in the final third (Drog, Anelka, Malouda) do their thing.

For Chelsea's standards Benayoun is just a benchwarmer replacing another more expensive benchwarmer

Benayoun is the most creative player you have now in squad..except maybe Deco..

he was most creative player also in LFC squad..

dont be surprised if he actually did not sit on bench next season...and to be honest, calling Joe Cole (i guess you mean him) a benchwarmer, just becouse he had injury - not to look on his previous 183 games and 28 goals with you is stupid. :BYE:

Yeah that and the fact that someone like Benayoun is pretty creative anyway. Creative enough. I think Chelsea are more or less set. It's a very good team and doesn't need a whole lot more.

I think Ramires will be a great fit (unfortunately for me as a United fan). A midfield featuring him, Lampard and Essien or Mikel will just run and run all day. I don't think there's a midfield in the world with that much engine behind them. And eventually they'll just wear down oppositions, and let the quality Chelsea have in the final third (Drog, Anelka, Malouda) do their thing.

Well said. Agreed.

Benayoun is the most creative player you have now in squad..except maybe Deco..
I'm sure the fact that we scored almost 140 goals last year without using much any one them two means that we do have *some* creativity.
calling Joe Cole a benchwarmer, just because he had injury - not to look on his previous 183 games and 28 goals with you is stupid.
I love Joey more than most Chelsea fans but the fact that he couldn't establish himself in the starting XI with any of the 6(!)managers he played under at Chelsea makes him a benchwarmer.Players with worse injury records walk into their team's starting eleven after healing,Michael Essien,Robben and RVP are good examples.

Also one goal every 6 games isn't *that* impressive for an attacking player,Lampard's ratio is better and he's a central midfielder.Although each of the goals Joey scored was special,his last one arguably won us the league.

If you signed a creative player Lampard wouldn't have the room to play his natural game.
Fair assessment but hopefully Lamps will be able to co-exist with the creative type of player we need,it will either work brilliantly or fail like the English national side.
Yeah that and the fact that someone like Benayoun is pretty creative anyway. Creative enough. I think Chelsea are more or less set. It's a very good team and doesn't need a whole lot more.
We could use another reserve keeper because the two clowns replacing Cech are horrible but we're looking pretty good on paper.
Ancelotti said though that 3 players were sold and 3 will come so that probably means that we'll sign someone else apart from Ramires.
huh?

cheap dig :P
literally :P

Edit:On another note our pre-season results and performances have been laughable,ManUnited fans have every reason to be optimistic about the Community Shield game.
That said our regular starters only played in the last game which went fairly well until the experimenting started.

Last edited:
I'm sure the fact that we scored almost 140 goals last year without using much any one them two means that we do have *some* creativity.

I thought we were talking about individual players creativity...scoring goals dont mean you have 11 playmakers on field....

Chelsea have a 433 formation without place for true AM, and Benayoun can be the true AM as well as LW and RW..

I thought we were talking about individual players creativity...scoring goals dont mean you have 11 playmakers on field....
A guy known as Florent Malouda was every bit as creative last year as Joey has been in the last couple of years.A young French lad called Kakuta is worth mentioning as a creative player but he's unproven and I won't overrate a youth player.

Chelsea have a 433 formation without place for true AM, and Benayoun can be the true AM as well as LW and RW..
To be honest even I don't know what formation will Ancelotti use this season,having a quality option besides the 30year old Yossi Benayoun would certainly give us more choices.

Last edited:
On a second thought the Ramires deal makes our chances of signing Bastian Schweinsteiger very slim,a shame really cause I've been a fan since first seeing him play.

So how does your squad look with the 25 squad cap and 8 homegrown players?

1.(HG): John Terry
2.(HG): Ashley Cole
3.(HG): Frank Lampard
4.(HG): Ross Turnbull
5.(HG): Daniel Sturridge
6.(HG):
7.(HG):
8.(HG):
9. Petr Cech
10. Branislav Ivanovic
11. Michael Essien
12. Ricardo Carvalho (possibly leaving)
13. Didier Drogba
14. Mikel
15. Florent Malouda
16. Jose Bosingwa
17. Yuri Zhirkov
18. Paulo Fereira (hopefully leaving)
19. Deco Ramires
20. Salomon Kalou
21. Nemaja Matic
22. Alex
23. Nicolas Anelka
24. Hilario
25. Yossi Benayoun

The empty homegrown spots will be taken by players like Bertrand, Cork, Mancienne ect.

And a bunch of youth products who'll hopefully get some game time.

Edit:There's also a young Argentinian lad called DiSanto who was labeled to be a Hesky-type of player(yeah I know) but he horribly failed his loan at Blackburn under Big Sam and was absolutely shite in the pre-season games he played,he'll probably get another loan.

Last edited:
I think Di Santo can still turn into a good player.

And he did help Blackburn's attack though not through goals which a striker is always judge on, but by a lot of good knockdown headers to other team-mates. I remember he looked quite useful in a couple of those games but ended the match with nothing to show for it in terms of goals/direct assists.

Still very young and maybe not at Chelsea, but I can see him turn into a decent forward still.

yeah plenty of english on the squad isn`t mikel consider HG ?
"A homegrown player is classed as a player that was registered with the FA or the Welsh FA for 3 entire seasons before their 21st Birthday"

Mikel was signed by Chelsea in June 2006. He turned 21 in April 2008. Which means he only played 2 full seasons before his 21st birthday.

I think Di Santo can still turn into a good player.

And he did help Blackburn's attack though not through goals which a striker is always judge on, but by a lot of good knockdown headers to other team-mates. I remember he looked quite useful in a couple of those games but ended the match with nothing to show for it in terms of goals/direct assists.

Still very young and maybe not at Chelsea, but I can see him turn into a decent forward still.
We had hopes for him but atm he just wastes any chances given to him,he's not even stong for being 1.93.I'll be happy if we could get a decent price for him from a PL side.

Deco to Flumineze for an undisclosed fee,probably the worst kept secret of this transfer period.

I'm slightly surprised though that we got something out of that deal.

The Chelsea fans wish him all the best.

Squad Numbers for 2010

1. Petr Cech
2. Branislav Ivanovic
3. Ashley Cole
5. Michael Essien
6. Ricardo Carvalho
8. Frank Lampard
10. Yossi Benayoun
11. Didier Drogba
12. John Mikel Obi
15. Florent Malouda
17. Jose Bosingwa
18. Yury Zhirkov
19. Paulo Ferreira
21. Salomon Kalou
22. Ross Turnbull
23. Daniel Sturridge
24. Nemanja Matic
26. John Terry
33. Alex
38. Patrick van Aanholt
39. Nicolas Anelka
40. Hilario
41. Sam Hutchinson
42. Michael Mancienne
43. Jeffrey Bruma
44. Gael Kakuta
45. Fabio Borini

Well Di Santo was number 9, but we've had no proper number 9 since Jimmy Floyd, strange how the modern day players at Chelsea don't seem to know the nostalgia that goes with the number 9 shirt, Bentley/Osgood/Dixon you would think one of them would want to take up the mantle. And as for the 7 shirt ? Mutu/Sheva , well we know how that ended, maybe now it's considered unlucky , although Pat Nevin may disagree.

Yall are closing in on Mesut Ozil...as barca had their bid turned down...but thats newspaper talk so Nothing is comfirmed...

Doubt we have even made a bid for him,just the media linking us with a summer sensation.

Edit: Riccy left,a big thank you is in order.One of the best CBs to ever play for the club.

Last edited:
yall are losing depth this year...How can yall manage to retain premier league title and push for a CL title when you guys are reducing the team depth??? strange move by chelsea this summer IMO, sure adding youth to the club is a good idea but the squad is a hell lot weaker than last year...

We've lot a bit of depth,particularly the depth in defence that spoiled us since the Mourinho days but few of the players that left played a great role in last season's double.

Huge overhaul at the club and it looks like we're taking the youth way,I'd expect another signing after Ramires,maybe a backup goalkeeper or a high-profile defender.

Back
Top Bottom