Chelsea Thread

Does anyone know how much we got from City for Bridge? And isn't FS allowed to spend it? An industrious winger/striker (and not a big name) would be useful.
Need more money? Sell Malouda. More? Kalou. More? Drogba. The squad needs a shuffle in my opinion, probably come summer in reality. Before that, i don't think Chelsea are likely to challenge for anything. A second spot league finish will be seen as a success imo.

A very bad defeat against Man Utd...that must hurt at Stamford Bridge. I presume that you also listened to James Richardson's podcast. It seems that Obi Mikel, Ballack and Deco were very bad against Man Utd and it looks as if Big Phil after all isn't te right manager for Chelsea...strange because at the beginning of the season Chelsea were by far the best team of the Premiership...i hope Roman will not get tired, because that would be a disaster for Chelsea...

It depends how you see it gerd. You mean he might not be right for these players, many of which i believe should move on. He should be given time to build his own team. This is the problem with swapping managers, as they inherit the previous team. Look at Spurs. Redknapp will be furiously changing the squad when and where he can. The mindset at Chelsea can only change once the core of players changes. I don't want to see anymore lazy big-name players coming in.
If i was manager, players would make the team on merit and ability, not their name. I would have no qualms picking a hungry, industrious 19 year old, over a lazy senior player who thinks he's the man. I would rather see someone put in their all and fail, than put in little or no effort and fail.

and i can't wait for Essien to come back too :))

I think the only way Chelsea are going to survive is to take a season on the chin, so to speak, stick with Big Phil and start building a new squad from within. It seems clear that Roman won't be bringing £100m worth every year anymore, and Ballack/Lampard/Deco/Drogba aren't getting any younger (of bothered it must be said) so it seems to me you need a manager with a long term plan. Big Phil really seems to me a great choice for this.

Certainly if you offload him, no one you bring in is going to sustain this team at the highest level for a few more years. Not without massive investment.

If Essien comes back and is at his best (tough after such an injury) I wouldn't write off Chelsea yet. He's just ridiculously good. (Yes as a United fan I'm still bitter).

I agree with you Prof, that's why at the time i said Deco was IMHO not a good player for Chelsea...he has won a lot...it's better to take a younger, more hungry player who is perhaps at the moment less good than Deco, but who can develop...Chelsea should have bought Joann Gourcuff...a player who "failed" in Milan and who wants revenge...maybe next year they should offload a couple of their star midfielders and buy younger players who are hungry.

Beachryan: i agree with Deco, Ballack and Drogba, not with Lampard...Lampard has a very good season with Chelsea...offlaod him would be a mistake at this point... no matter how much good young players you buy...you still need leaders...and Lampard is a leader.

Yeah Lampard has done nothing wrong but Ballack and Drogba have got to go in my opinion (and Deco to some extent).

They are playing like fat cats on their last pay cheque waiting to retire. No drive or passion for the club or football in general. I agree it would be unwise to sack Scolari already, give him at least another year so he can try to put his imprint on the side. Ship out the ones you can do without like Ferreira, Kalou (I think he's alright though), Drogba, Ballack etc and give Mancienne and some of the other youngsters a chance and buy some players in their mid twenties who still have a point to prove and desire to win trophies. Like gerd said, Gourcuff would be good.

Gourcuff doesn't want to go anywhere, now that he's found his form again at Bordeaux.

Well the proverbial finger was eventually pulled out last night. Cracking game, even when we were losing, i will add.

Good match last night Chelsea chaps and I'm just pleased we rattled you for a bit.

Was worth going just to see the reaction after our goal, Terry shaking his head and Big Phil looking like he was going to cry!

Think 4-1 flattered you a bit, bit overall we're dead proud of our boys!

Strange transfers (or rumours) this window (cfr. Spurs: Monty Phytonesque).
I also think Robinho only means trouble...i would go for other players.

It seems Lens have a big youth academy.
A guy who is now 22 and plays for my village team (League 2 in England)has been in the Lens youth academy.
Belgian's biggest talent Eden Hazard (Lille) has a younger brother who is also in the Lens youth academy...
I think those youth academies are the reason why France will always be a big football country (which they weren't for example in the sixties and the seventies).

Sorry to be off-topic.

Wow, just saw in the gossip columns the name Claudio Pizarro. Had no idea he's still on Chelsea's books (on loan).

Was that keeper deal part of anything else?

Why doesnt this kid play! :SS Looks like a real talent (Remind me of Ronaldo from those clips) may need to pass more but he looks like whats missing on the LW.

You can find clips like that of many players, but it's his all round play that matters. I remember thinking that Owusu-Abeyie was one of the best players I'd ever seen from watching a few clips and look what happened to him. Wait and see if he's anything special.

Back
Top Bottom