Chelsea Thread

I think all the big clubs should follow Arsenal and use it to blood players...

Totally agree. If they win, then fine, they get more games. If not, at least they're getting in the action. The Carling Cup isn't really for title challengers or CL chasers. Tottenham would do well however to try and grab the Carling Cup though, given their start to the season.

So Drogba has been charged.

I actually feel sorry for him, just seen on a Burnley messageboard one lad was saying a lot of people around him were shouting racist abuse at him. (And everyone seems to ignore the fact the coins were thrown at him in the first place!)

I'm not condoning what he did, but it's a shame the FA are more interested in point scoring with the public than dealing with some very serious issues.

They always seem to have plenty to say when it happens in Eastern Europe.

That's the responsiblity of these well paid players - they have to rise above the drivel that comse out of the stands. I know it's tough but it's just what they have to do.

Burnley shouldn't be punished as a club, but if they can identify the coin thrower he'll be banned for life from all football clubs, I believe. As for chanting racist abuse I agree something has to be done but until fans start turning in the culprits, what can be done? Plus if a Burnley fan was shouting racist abuse it seems a bit strange given their scorer no?

Plus if a Burnley fan was shouting racist abuse it seems a bit strange given their scorer no?

It was a lot of fans (although I should point out that the Burnley fans I spoke to were disgusted by it - they reckon a lot of people there they hadn't seen at Burnley before) And what has scoring a goal got to do with it? Are you suggesting someone wouldn't be racist if they had a premonition a black player on their team might score a goal?

While I'm not suggesting Burnley be punished, the more this goes on without clubs being punished this hands the fans a carte-blanche to do what they like - all justified by the fact that footballers get paid well.

Scolari said today he would have to put the injured Ashley Cole on the bench tomorrow so he has 18 players.

How about someone from the youth team???? I find it ridiculous - we've got a good youth setup for the first time in years and none of them ever get a sniff!

It was a lot of fans (although I should point out that the Burnley fans I spoke to were disgusted by it - they reckon a lot of people there they hadn't seen at Burnley before) And what has scoring a goal got to do with it? Are you suggesting someone wouldn't be racist if they had a premonition a black player on their team might score a goal?

While I'm not suggesting Burnley be punished, the more this goes on without clubs being punished this hands the fans a carte-blanche to do what they like - all justified by the fact that footballers get paid well.

Sorry, what I meant by that was given that Burnley fans presumably support their own black players, it's weird that they'd be racist rather than just nasty to Drogba. Then again, football fans aren't generally known for their sophistication and tact :(

guess the pressure is on Big Phil to win trophies or else his head is going to roll too.... sad with all his pre-season hype & reputation he brings of blooding youngsters..... what a let down.... seriously get some youth players who knows they could be the next best thing.... this way how is the next best thing (a young youth player) comes to Chelsea????

Mancienne to get an England call up?

Fabio Capello will hand a shock England call-up to Chelsea youngster Michael Mancienne, on loan at Wolves, when he names his squad for Wednesday's game against Germany - but there will be no David Beckham. (Sun)

I think Burnley (or any other club whose fans use racist language)should be punished...those things should not be tolerated. Of course Drogba's reaction was wrong...the best reaction i remember is from Zorro when he played for Messina. He was fed up with the racist abuse. He simply took the ball in his hands went to the ref and asked him to stop the match (which of course the ref didn't do). It provoked lots of (mostly good) reactions. I think the match was against Inter and even Moratti supported him and said he admired him for his guts...that's what abused players should always do...

Alex, Julian Belletti, Franco Di Santo, Ricardo Carvalho, Michael Essien, Joe Cole all injured damn.... youthful squad tonight Stoch & Woods on the bench along with Sinclair... hope we see Ballack in action tonight along with some kids!!
Damn we surely have a great defense if Mancienne isn't getting first team action but still might get called up for England 3 lions call!! Future looks good in defense at least!!

It's weird with Anelka.

I'd say he's not been anything like himself since joining Chelsea, but you look at his record this year, and he's top scorer and constantly banging in the goals.

wow what finishing by Anelka and he smiled wow does that mean he is loving & is at ease at Chelsea? Bosingwa what a left foot... stinger of a goal!!!
Another record!! Not bad!!

He's scoring a lot because he is getting 5 or 6 chances a game. The problem with him is that if he only gets one chance then he rarely takes it.

Hopefully we can avoid any more injuries on Wednesday.

is JT injured too?? why is the people we dont want injured gets injured?? Why cant Malouda get injured... Kalou? why is it Ballack, Joe Cole, Carvalho why.... though i must say something happened to Malouda he is improving...
@ T Butcher Fan: Say whatever currently he is finishing good... tight angles and that too to the keepers near post not bad.... audacious dinks or tap ins or tight angle goals... he is scoring them
just read an article on Ben Sahar not getting games at Portsmouth and is getting frustrated...he wants to leave asap... well dont blame him.. Fraizer Campbell is getting his shot with Tottenham.. and we loan our kid to striker full club how daft can we be? He should be given a run in the 1st team...

Campbell has only played twice this year, so he's not exactly ripping it up :/

That's the risk with loan deals, and why I think United tend to loan to championship teams - they get the games. I remember we lent Gioseppe Rossi to newcastle who at hte time was tearing up the reserve league and looked a real prospect. He never got games, and ended up buggering off to Spain where he's been fantastic, with rumours of a switch to Juve.

I dont' think Chelsea fans should expect youth to be brought through. You can't have both the best team money can buy and the best youth programme in the world, can only have one XI on the pitch! Leave youth to Arsenal and just keep picking up trophies, surely that's not a bad deal?

Drogba banned for 3 matches - was never going to be anything else was it? Neatly parallel to the Carragher incident (although Carragher was never charged by the FA, he got a red card).

Fair enough, but now that a millionaire Chelsea player has been punished and the public have what they wanted (although Football365 will be desperate for more!), I imagine we will see Burnley escape scot-free.

typical... is Di Santo still injured so who is back up striker to Anelka as a sub in Newcastle game?? damn... but i guess Drogs shouldn't have tossed nor made the salute... not saying the Burnley fan who did is not to blame... but playing for a Club any Club one has to be professional and Drogs just doesn't epitomizes professionalism... CL, media confessions about Chelsea once the Special One left and now the coin toss cum Salute... should we sell Drogs now and get in another younger striker?

Drogba has been in talks with Inter already if you believe the press...
Drogba is alleged to have met Inter Milan's sporting director Marco Branca in a Fulham restaurant on Monday night along with Jose Mourinho's agent, Jorge Mendes, and the player's representative.

I think he's a great talent, but him leaving wouldn't do you any harm if you can get a quality new player in. Plus it would do your media image some good. Not like Chelsea have been struggling to score this season!

I would like to see a fresh striker coming in. DD was very effective in what he did and i thank him for that. I'm sure some defenders will be glad to see him go, lol. But the manager has changed, the team is changing and the style is changing, so i think a new striker may help. It has to be better than an injured/suspended Drogba.
I believe Anelka has been the key to the change in style/play so far this season.

Back
Top Bottom