Chelsea Thread

Looks like Anelka will be leading the line for a bit now, after DD's injury. At least we're not losing him when he's in great form, or the like.

Didn't see the game, but it seems Cluj are a tough nut.

Cluj were ok - better than I expected. Better than the players expected too, because we were awful yesterday.

They put ten men behind the ball and we didn't have enough guile to break them down - it was a very poor performance. Felt sorry for all the supporters who went to Transylvania to watch that.

That said, it was just one of those nights where nothing good was going to happen. The Drogba injury just tops it off - I think we can say goodbye to the league for yet another season. You can't win it with the injuries that we're picking up.

I know injuries aren't looking good at the mo, but I'd still back you for the league. You can work around the Essien one (and given how good he is at all other things, maybe he recovers faster too!) and Drogba has barely played this season yet you've been doing pretty well. The new system relies less on him than the old (which actually relied on him about 90% of the time). Now that you have the wingers actually getting forward and involved, Anekla should be able to do the job IMO.

If you've lost Terry and Carvalho that's big, but neither will be out for long I'm led to believe. Once they're back, you have a team that can be almost guaranteed not to lose, which is a great starting point for some Franky specials.

Plus if you look at other squads, Arsenal are 2 injuries away from mediocrity (pretty much any 2 of their first XI), United are already pretty f*cked with injuries themselves (Carrick, Hargo, Scholes, maybe Rooney) and Liverpool have so far managed not to get a single one of note. If anything happens to Torres, pool are absolutely f*cked IMO. And despite his age, I can't imagine he'll play every game this season.

Some of their diving was Cheeky Cheeky! As an added bonus for the evening the ref bought every one of their tumbles hook, line and sinker.

Don't blame him though - reffing a game in Dracula's home town? You don't give the away team anything!

:OT:

At least we might see a few of the youth team get a sniff finally. Di Santo, Sinclair, Paim, Mancienne and Magnay all look decent bets. Maybe Sahar might be recalled from Portsmouth too.

Gerd, you are like a ray of sunshine every time you come to this thread!

It's always a bad time to play Villa - for some reason this is their cup final, they put in a superhuman effort every time they play us.

** Drogba only out for a month apparently **

*** Bit off topic - but it is far too busy in the official thread to discuss it: Anyone played the PES2009 demo yet? I had a couple of games last night and the vibes I got were pretty good. Still a bit of playing to do, but I enjoyed what I saw. I'll try the FIFA demo, but as I didn't like last years FIFA I'm pretty certain I'm back to PES this year. ***

Last edited:
Sorry Terry...i was very pesimistic about Scolari and Deco too and it turns out that i'm wrong...Chelsea is playing very good football.

I think now is even less a good time to play Villa because they are on a high for the moment.

I haven't downloaded PES2009. I've been to busy playing FIFA09. It's a very good game, but i miss something...am i being prejudiced ???? Maybe...i like it, but it hasn't got the magic of some PES versions (and i'm not talking about PES2008 which i barely played).
I discovered that realism isn't always everything. For some reason i'm hooked by the realism of Football Manager...and less by FIFA's...Yesterday i've started my first league campaign in FIFA, guess what...i made a fictional league with Belgian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Swiss and Austrian teams...very PES-like...

Off-topic two: i think quite a lot of people react rather unreasonable. Look at the thread about PES2009...what enormous differences of opinions. And then the thread i started about Dembele's goal...in Belgium and Holland the media went wild about that goal, Dembele played against Italy in the Olympics and the Italian clubs and pundits were over the moon about his performance. Yet these people are not impressed....strange...

I didn't buy PES last year, I went for FIFA and while it was ok, I just feel that it lacks a bit of charm. Personally, I don't pay any attention to graphics, faces, licenses and all that malarkey - if I can play a bit of football I'm happy and PES looks good enough for that this year. I'll still look at the FIFA demo - but I'm happy with PES so far. To be honest though, I'm not going to get a lot of time to play anything!

As for Dembele - if Ronaldo had scored it, it would now be the greaest goal of all time.

As for Villa, if the unbeaten record has to go, better that it is Villa than any of the red teams.

Scolari, a man I admire, really won my utmost respect after the trip to Cluj. How can this man be so respectful and modest?... anyone would've made fun of CFR. Even our own journalists called them once 'Siiii-Eeeeef-Aaaaar' - the way the british pronounce the name. (Actually it should be something like Tsche-fe-re).

They're just trying their best. They can't really compare to neither Roma or Chelsea. Five years ago they were in the third division... :)

Hope you get Drogba back on his feet! Good luck with the PL.

Teddy, how are Cluj seen in Romania? I wonder, because they only have a handful of Romanians in the squad. The rest are South Americans, Portuguese and Africans etc..

Terry and gerd. I'm enjoying PES5 at the moment. If 2009 is a real disappointment, i'll continue with, perhaps even update it. Although there is a certain charm to the slighty out of date squads. Plus there are some of my favourite players in that version.

I think Cluj is from a minority area in Romania.
I think they are ethnically Hungarian, or am i completely wrong ????

As for the FIFA - PES thing. I've bought FIFA and i quite like it. But i will definately PES2009. I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but the reactions from the right people are good so i guess i will like it too...(and since football games are my only vice...why the hell not...)

Yeh - they are in that neck of the woods, although I couldn't tell you a thing about them (I just looked at a map).

PES is ticking the boxes so far but I'll download FIFA demo over the weekend. It would be nice to have a difficult choice to make this time. Mind you, I think one of the factors that stops me getting into FIFA is that you can't use the d-pad.

I'm enjoying PES5 at the moment.

Stick with it mate. Played FIFA and PES and a bit disappointed in both to be honest. FIFA gameplay has some nice touches but is lightweight, lacks substance overall and PES still has all it's old flaws. It's like a condensed version of every other PES from history!

I'll be buying PES, I preferred it to FIFA but I think they're both pretty ropey to be honest.

still loving the old pes will think twice about the upcoming pes but i guess the new pes will be better than the new fifa!! But i'm still gonna stick to the old pes...
btw guys is it time for some D&G? (Doom & Gloom) regarding our injuries and best players playing on the pitch??

No D&G yesterday. We were excellent - Villa really couldn't handle us. I kept thinking that Villa would come at us, but they never got the chance. Every time we got the ball we camped in their half for long spells. By the 70th minute all the Villa players were knackered!

As ever, the let down is that we aren't finishing the chances we create. Not sure how bad the injuries to Anelka and Joe Cole are either.

(Your mate Ivanovic was excellent yesterday, Delta.)

Yep, Terry played well yesterday but he's obviously not fit. Ivanovic was doing a lot of the hard work while JT played almost as a sweeper. He made a couple of errors at the end too - I don't think he should play for England next weekend, he's clearly not right.

I bet he does though. Terry would play with one leg. It's up to the manager to call it though.

I thought we were pretty good against Villa. Dare i say, Malouda is beginning to show some confidence in his stride. Ivanovic was great too. Not an easy game to come in for your Premier League debut.
I'm much preferring the shape and style of the team now under Scolari.

Just watched MOTD2...Chelsea really looked great.
And if somebody like Hansen says it's among the bestperformances he has seen the last 5 seasons, well then you know that they were outstanding (MON said so too...).

I also thought Malouda played good, but Frank Lampard was THE outstanding player, judged upon MOTD's images....

Also lots of praise for Ivanovic...great win....

PS: Will i continue to do gloomy predictions ??? It sure brings you guys luck...

Last edited:
Watched your game last night. It served as confirmation that IMO you are the main contenders this year for the title. You are very confident and very solid. It was an enjoyable match.

Back
Top Bottom