Chelsea Thread

TERRY BAN LIFTED

Posted on: Tue 16 Sep 2008
John Terry will be available to play against Manchester United on Sunday and the two domestic games that follow after his appeal against a red card at Manchester City proves successful. Terry was sent-off in the second half by referee Mark Halsey following a foul on Man City striker Jo.

An FA statement released this afternoon (Tuesday) reads:
At an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, a claim for wrongful dismissal from Chelsea's John Terry was upheld. Terry was shown a red card for serious foul play during Chelsea's match against Manchester City on 13 September. As a result of today's hearing, Terry's three match suspension has been withdrawn.

good news you posted @T Butcher fan!! Though we did have an ideal replacement if it wasn't lifted ALEX!!! looked good when he came on!!

Last edited:
Malouda and Anelka both score! :DOH:

But seriously, i thought it was pretty good, bar a bit of snoozing in the second half. I thought Anelka deserved his late goal. Shame Carvalho didn't get that header on target.

Yeah good game yesterday,glad malouda scored,that will get his confidence back,
to be honest Bordeaux was very poor and negative
Lamps and Mikel were fantastic again:)),the defense solid as always,Cech had a quiet game(bordeaux hasn't had one single shot on target:BLINK:)

Not a good result for Chelsea, they should have won.
That way Man Utd would have been 9 points behind.
Man Utd will only get better.
This could already have been a deciding game..

Not a good result for Chelsea, they should have won.
That way Man Utd would have been 9 points behind.
Man Utd will only get better.

i think considering how the game happened,it's rather a good point for chelsea.I'm sure Manchester are more dissapointed than us.They defended very well and Rooney should have killed the game when he missed a great chance.
With deco out ,we found the old chelsea again,we didn't create enough chances and if it wasn't a set piece Man U would have ended our(fantastic) home record

not only man united,liverpool also must take seriusly in this rank..now them draw with arsenal...i think at last man unitded wakeup..

I don't understand what's wrong with Anelka...when he was at Bolton he was one of the best strikers of the Premiership...maybe you guys need a litle bit of patience with him, because he is certainly capable of scoring goals.

what do you expect from Anelka?He has never been and will never be a striker like Inzaghi or Van nistelroy.
But he brings so much to the team with his pace,he creates space for others players and technically he's great.
So maybe yesterday he didn't have the best game of his live but we can't blame him for our average performance

Far too early, i'd say. There's a long way to go yet, but already it looks as if key injuries are beginning to pile up (Carvalho, Deco).
I reckon Deco would have made a differnce in the game. Anelka was shocking. I'm bit annoyed at J Cole for not passing to him though (clear shot on goal), but he may well have missed it too. The pass would have been the better option imo though. I hope the lad works on his finishing in training.

Of course it's early days prof..
But imagine what a 9 point gap would have meant...
It seems Chelsea have lots of injuries, is it a coïncidence or is something wrong with the medical staff or with the trainings ???

It seems Chelsea have lots of injuries, is it a coïncidence or is something wrong with the medical staff or with the trainings ???

We've had injury after injury since we won the league in 2006. 3 years, 3 different medical teams - no coincidence, just lot's of bad luck.

I think it's just the way football is played today. Almost every team has some injuries, some more than others. You notice it more when you are a) challenging for honours b) trying to avoid relegation.

Going by the reported premier league injuries table. Newcastle have 8 injuries, Portsmouth 7, Arsenal, Everton and Man City have 5......Chelsea have 3 (Essien Carvalho and Deco) all key players though.

@ Alain: Its mentioned on the official site as well as wiki page he can play RB, CB & DMF. He did play some match as a DMF dunno which one though...
http://www.chelseafc.com/page/PlayerProfileDetail/0,,10268~39508,00.html

Seriously what is happening with Pommies? I mean 10 goals in two games? Looks like Big Phil got Mineiro... Brazilian contingent increases...

btw...how was Ivanovich performance in the Carling Cup? Did we play any youth players?

Ivanovic played well by all accounts - didn't put a foot wrong.

Sinclair and Di Santo only got 15 minutes each at the end, which was pointless.

sad thought Big Phil would play some youths into this match as he always emphasized more on youth... thought Paim might get a game...maybe some time later who knows!

yeah i agree with u ,i wanted to see more of Di Santo and Sinclair,now i wonder if Big Phil doesn't play them in a game like this,when will they play?
But it was a good game for the likes of Ballack,drogba to get a game under their belts

@Delta seem like you're right about Ivanovic,i didn't know..

@ Alain no probs mate!!

Good to see Ballack & Drogba getting match fitness... Man what's up with Anelka? Does he revel being the big fish in a small pond ala Bolton? I mean the chances he wasted...

@ Alain no probs mate!!

Good to see Ballack & Drogba getting match fitness... Man what's up with Anelka? Does he revel being the big fish in a small pond ala Bolton? I mean the chances he wasted...

C'mon he missed one he put one in the back of the net!i have no problems with that!
as soon he played in the center we looked much more dangerous

true... but looking at his past, a lot of expectation builds up. True he will be played out of position but still should have finished the chances he got against Man U. Got nothing against the guy in fact we should play him & drogs together unfortunately who can we drop from our fabled Midfield?
Yes we on top...business as usual!!
Looks like Big Phil is playing it safe. Trying to see off a match rather than blood youngsters!! He could have brought on Sinclair or Ivanovich rather than play Anelka out of position, Belletti & Ferreira... strange but understandable!!
btw was it just me or Ballack wasn't playing up to his own lofty set standards?

John Terry heads Chelsea’s charm offensive after their show of grit and style

Stoke City 0 Chelsea 2

Opposing supporters love to hate winners and no team have revelled in being reviled in recent seasons more than Chelsea, sticking out their waxed chests and their chipped shoulders. Perhaps, though, after a fallow year in the silverware stakes, they are starting to reach out to the neutral; maybe, just maybe, we could learn to love Chelsea a little.

John Terry epitomises Chelsea with his unstinting excellence and his bellicose attitude. Nowhere more than at the Britannia Stadium do you need your leaders to stand tall and show no fear. But when a torrent of mindless abuse rained down on the England captain, after Chelsea had extended their unbeaten league run in the calendar year, Terry displayed some unexpectedly charming public relations skills. He went over to the Stoke City fans with good humour, chatted to them, signed autographs, posed for photographs and then bade farewell by throwing them his jersey. They sang his name as he went.

Chelsea had to dig in and show the pragmatism honed under José Mourinho to manage what Liverpool had failed to do seven days earlier and beat Stoke City, but they did not forget to doff their cap to style along the way. Indeed, the manner in which José Bosingwa scored the opening goal told most of what you need to know about Luiz Felipe Scolari’s Chelsea. The Portugal right back played the ball to Salomon Kalou but, instead of retreating, he bombed on in exhilarating style to chest down Frank Lampard’s deft chip and crash in his first goal for the club.

Scolari likes his full backs to play high up the pitch, which makes for swashbuckling football, especially when they possess the pace and panache of Bosingwa and Ashley Cole, and it adds credence to the notion that Chelsea could yet fulfil Roman Abramovich’s remit to win and to entertain simultaneously. “A lot of full backs in modern football get a lot of time on the ball so they’re vitally important,” Ray Wilkins, Chelsea’s assistant first-team coach, said.

His team had to match Stoke’s remarkable workrate to make their class tell. Didier Drogba, on his first start of the season, looked ring-rusty, which will add to Nicolas Anelka’s conviction that he should be given more opportunity down the middle. After Florent Malouda had thundered a shot that Thomas Sorensen thumped on to the bar, it was Anelka who calmed Stoke’s storm by drilling in the second goal after Leon Cort had made a hash of Bosingwa’s cross.

Stoke had to do without Rory Delap and his 38-metre throwins when he suffered a hamstring injury on the eve of the match, rather wasting Scolari’s three days of preparation to combat him.

With Portsmouth and Tottenham Hotspur up next, Tony Pulis should be able to ensure that his Stoke players do not feel unduly deflated by having failed to score in successive games against the joint leaders. “It’s one point gained,” he said. “And we haven’t got murdered.”

Back
Top Bottom