Chelsea Thread

Yes, we're trucking along nicely but my only concern is the amount of chances we don't take. Yesterday a 5-0 scoreline really wouldn't have flattered us but we didn't put the ball in the net.

Also, thought we showed a few signs of 'Arsenalitis' at times. (ie. The compulsion to walk the ball into the net, rather than twat it)

Teddy, how are Cluj seen in Romania? I wonder, because they only have a handful of Romanians in the squad. The rest are South Americans, Portuguese and Africans etc..

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier :)

They're not that well seen actually. It's been 17 years since a club outside Bucharest has won our championship.
They're not ethnic Hungarians. Actually i don't think they have ANY ethnic hungarians (as opposed to the traditional Cluj team, "U"). Their owner is, though - Arpad Paszkany. But they're attacked by nationalist owners of clubs (such as the Becalidiot). Hypocrite people who condemn others for the use of foreigners yet they do so themselves.

It IS true that last year's championship every other of the important teams has also played for CFR. Out of hate for Steaua. Rapid because of a forfeited home game against Steaua, Dinamo out of ego (they've been accused of helping Steaua a year before), and Poli Timisoara because their investor quarreled with Becali a lot. Steaua was helped a little to gain points (they had about 13 wins in a row or something), but these teams played harder against Steaua than Cluj.

Cluj has been a revelation for a couple of years now, but few expected them to actually win. They're named te Chelsea of Romania. The first club whose owners invested a lot in bringing good players. A model of professionalism. Just like Abramovic.

This is a pretty-well written article about the state of things here:

Steaua giveth ... and Steaua taketh away

Sorry for posting this off-topic here. :) I was only answering a question.

Sad I couldn't watch the game bloody hell how can ESPN or Star Sports not show Chelsea V/S Aston Villa match??? How How How?? Well anyway shit happens...
Woo hoo... Invisible not being invisible at all.... lol... wow he was good just read the reviews... i just hope he comes to the caliber of Carvalho!! He is one for the future!! btw thanks for the comment T Butcher Fan!! Wish he carries on this form and gets more games under Big Phil!!:PRAY:
Malouda is showing signs of his Lyon fame hope he sustains it... btw is Anelka injured?? How was Di Santo btw read he had 45 minutes to prove his worth?

Anelka has a muscle spasm - no idea what that means, first time I ever heard of it - but should be fit to face Boro. Joe Cole had a knock which looked slightly more serious.

Di Santo did ok - I'm pleased to say he's a lot more mobile than I thought he would be given his build. He was nervous though, he shot when he should have passed and passed when he should have shot. Overall, he obviously has a lot of talent and given a few more chances, I think he'll fit into the first team nicely. The crowd gave him a lot of encouragement which should stand him in good stead when he next appears.

And Malouda had a good game yesterday - something I never thought I would say!

Chelsea's sexy football thaws coldest hearts

Matt Dickinson, Chief Sports Correspondent

Perhaps it is the flu bug. Or the heavy medication. Either way, it is a strange sensation when you find your cynical journalist’s heart thawing at the sight of Chelsea racing to victory. That may sound an admission of a previous anti-Chelsea bias, confirming all the suspicions of the press office, but all we ever wanted was the club to employ a little charm on their way to global domination. There is every sign of that being the case under the management of Luiz Felipe Scolari. Think of Chelsea over the past five years and, as much as trophies, your mind turns to rucks, plots, money and Peter Kenyon. All that abrasiveness came flooding back last night in the reappearance on our television screens of José Mourinho. “I’m not going to change — why would I?” he told BBC’s Inside Sport from his new home at Inter Milan. “If I came here as a ‘John Nobody’ with nothing in his pocket, then I would have to adapt, I would have to try and do something. But I am not a John Nobody.” Good to see he has not lost any of his humility.

Mourinho is an exceptional manager and one day it may be fun to have him back playing with fire in the Premier League, but the idea that we should miss him has been eroded since Scolari was appointed in the summer and it was surely banished as his Chelsea team took apart Aston Villa at the weekend. Using the same system as Mourinho — 4-3-3 — and mostly the very same players, Scolari has Chelsea knocking the ball around like Arsenal. Or, given the manager’s background, we should probably say like Brazil. Ashley Cole has rediscovered the form that elevated him among the best left backs on the planet a few years ago now that he no longer has to regard the halfway line as an electric fence. And while the wingers are still required to work back, they do not expect a haranguing if they gamble and are caught upfield. Small adjustments, perhaps, but symptomatic of a wider transformation.

We wait to see if this liberation will secure trophies, and Mourinho was never slow in putting his medals on the table. But Scolari’s record is impressive enough to suggest that he is not just opening up the team for the fun of it or to please Roman Abramovich, the club’s owner. It is a stop-start process, with a functional performance in the Champions League only a few days earlier — drawing 0-0 away to CFR Cluj — but that is to be expected. Scolari’s big signing, Deco, has been injured and, of Sunday’s team, only José Bosingwa and Nicolas Anelka (a stand-in for Didier Drogba) did not work under Mourinho. The manager will make further adjustments. What is clear is his intent. At a club who still aspire to break even, or so they say, and yet remain a long way from doing so, winning new friends, as well as matches, does matter. And good press, or at the very least a lack of hostile coverage, is flowing their way.

"Scolari’s big signing, Deco, has been injured and, of Sunday’s team, only José Bosingwa and Nicolas Anelka (a stand-in for Didier Drogba) did not work under Mourinho."
Not correct. Mourinho was the one who brought Bosingwa to FC Porto on 03/04.

Ivanovich had a good game as T Butcher Fan stated earlier...but how could he outshine Terry? Being the rock of Chelsea... Who can play despite being injured taking pain killers? Now that's commitment & passion for the club speaking!! Ivanovich with his performance given time & more games under his belt if he is half of Terry & Carvalho wow... he would be quite a catch especially by Grant!!

JT looks like he will sit these England games out. Good news for us, the boy needs a rest.

As you said Prof, he pushes himself far too hard.

Cech & Alex possibly fit for Saturday and I'm not sure if Cole (A) wasn't just having a duvet day after Wembley.

JT, Carvalho, Deco, Bosingwa hopefully only a couple more weeks.

Cole (J) and Drogba another month or so.

hopefully with this injury crisis we can give some youngster's a chance in the first team maybe mancienne?? I wouldn't mind if Alex or JT is injured as we have Ivanovich who did a good job!! maybe Sinclair, Paim, DiSanto maybe??

damn 5-0 with all our injuries wow!! amazing plays by Chelsea today!! Really impressive but saying that as we can never be satisfied guess no outings for the youngster's as Paolo came on for Bridge!! Good show anyway (for Chelsea Fans that is!!)

Deco for Lampard couldn't big phil have brought on Stoch?? Well at least Sinclair got a run albeit a few minutes but still no chance for Di Santo & Stoch!! then again big phil's Chelsea entertained us with 5 goals!!! Yay!!

Last edited:
Thats what football should be all about, entertainment!!! And this game had it all over the place.

Congrats for the win.

Deco sub may be for the CL game, scolari is trying to figure out if he will use him or not, from what ive seen he can play but he won't play the same has he did, for example, in his debut game for the EPL.

Yeah good performance.

Mancienne was quality for England under 21's last week, you should definitely hold on to him, I read the other day he might look to move soon.

What a game from Chelsea...i have to say Scolari is performing miracles at Chelsea, they really are playing attractive football...what a goal from Belletti...and Lampard's goal was pure class in the build-up...

Yep, loved Belletti's but I thought Lampard's was the pick of the bunch.

Two big games coming up in Roma then at home to Liverpool. Good test of how well Phil has this team prepped I think. We could do we having a few 1st teamers back quick sharp.

Back
Top Bottom