Celtic Thread

Time to acknowledge that the EPL isn't quite all it's made out to be.

What has this got to do with the EPL? You win a game from a freekick, and save a penalty and all of a sudden, thats enough to prove the EPL isnt good as people say?

Give Celtic credit ffs! Nayland or whatever his name was at left back made about half a dozen diving stops of crosses, which is the reason United had so few actual chances. That's not saying Ronaldo didn't do well to beat 25 people on his way to the byline, but it is saying the defender did his job. Saha's penalty was on target and firmly hit, Boruc made a great save. United conceede free kicks from 28 yards or whatever all the time, Nakamura's produces magic, and it was beautiful.

Some days things don't go your way. If United had played Celtic off the pitch, they would have won.

JB, Ad and others, I know you're not all tossers, it's just that seems to be the only ones they let on air/write press. ;)
Glad you know that. And you are right unfortunately, most of our media is bollocks.

Good luck in the next round, I'll no doubt be supporting whoever Celtic play against.
This is the type of simple comment that unfortunately tars us English with the same brush. Rest assured that as an impartial I shall be fully supporting Celtic in the rest of the competition.

Glad you know that. And you are right unfortunately, most of our media is bollocks.

This is the type of simple comment that unfortunately tars us English with the same brush. Rest assured that as an impartial I shall be fully supporting Celtic in the rest of the competition.

yeah mate there is always one even in scotland or any country for that matter but you have to rise above them.

From a football point of view its great to see british clubs doing well in Europe.Even Man Utd ,theres no point in dwelling on the past the games finished now so people have to move on.

mate you should maybe goto another website as its is clear your looking for trouble, this is a celtic thread where we discuss news and games not ones personal hate for another team as it seems to be getting to you now.

so get your coat and shut the door on the way out.

This is a forum open for debate my friend, if you take off the green + white tinted specs you will notice my points hold some value. :kiss: :kiss: \\:o/

Rest assured that as an impartial I shall be fully supporting Celtic in the rest of the competition.
Hear hear.

From a football point of view its great to see british clubs doing well in Europe.Even Man Utd
I feel like that as well. Even though, in the Premiership, I'd rather see Man United behind teams local to me (such as Liverpool), if they won the CL then I'd be proud that English representatives had won.

But saying that, my heart is with Liverpool and Celtic for the rest of the competition; I was immensely pleased to be presented with a decent, exciting game of football from the Celtic v Man U game rather than the "dive dive dive" fest of... Well, every other CL game I've seen this season.

Good luck to you lads.

- United's football was about panache, posession, flare and control. .

Indeed it was in 1967 and 1999 but since 1999 there was maybe panache, maybe posession, maybe "flare" (flair???) and maybe control, but certainly no silverware...

Diego you spud, of course you've got a better team than us - it helps when your league offers £25m-odd in TV money for finishing LAST! We get around £2m at most for topping the table, that gives you an idea of what we're up against.

Outclassed my arse, you had 60% of the ball in the first half and did nothing of note with it, your only chance coming after Balde had stood on the ball to let Ronaldo in. Second-half you get a dodgy penalty and one chance from Saha. Like FD said, that's one of the weakest performances seen at Celtic park from a top-seed, not in the same league as Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, etc.

Rune, the EPL is distinctly average, and up it's own arse in terms of how good it thinks it is. You have 4 very good sides. that's just my opinion. Our winner came from a peach of a free-kick and we saved a penalty, but in terms of chances created we contained United pretty comfortably, as mentioned above.

P.S. Diego, kiss kiss yourself, we're in the next round and United aren't. Up ye.

Classic what makes a league average?

The Prem has one of the highest average attendance records over the world, it has for the last few years. The only league to beat it on the front is the Bundesliga, the Spanish league is way off being top and the Italian league is a non-starter from the bootlegging.

The Premiership had most players that were in the WC playing football week in week out, this is mearly a coincidence???

How many strikers find it hard to score in the Prem, Forlan is the greatest example, couldn't hit a barn door at Man U but went to Spain and became top scorer in his first season.

At nearly half way through the the current European campaigns from the co-efficient rankings England have 6 teams sitting in the top ten.

England has produced more winners of oe both the Cl/European cup(4) and UEFA cup(7) than any other nation, producing 10 different winners in total.

In the last 3 campaigns England have had 4 occasions of a team making it to the final including 2 finalists and 1 winner. Compared to 3 Spanish and 2 Italian. Three different teams compared to one from Italy. The UEFA cup has also been decent with a finalist last year to add.

The country rankings also don't lie, we are in with a shout of taking first this season but will at least be third with an eventual close race.

So lets take it down to actual teams winning the league. Compared to the "big three" on current form it has more chance of a selection of 3/4 teams winning it.If you think that any team other than Barca or Real will win the Spanish title in the next few years you are very naive. Sure the teams at the top will make a fight of it but they will fall away at the end.I shall give more credit towards Serie A but I still think over the next few years only 2/3 (at a push) will be capable of taking the title.

If you seriously call your self a football fan ( and take away the usually "Celtic" paranoia) you would at least be able to give a response that the Premiership is "distinctly average". You can't give credit to anything English, I know its not you fault, mummy and daddy and even the grandparents have told you all about the bad enemy that is south of the border. Its something that will never leave your nature, I know you excuse is always the English arrogance media blah blah blah( now which I will agree with that its poor but you still base your argument on this when ever this sort of subject pops up) so it gives you an inability to give credit where its due. I don't want to say that the Premiership is the "best" league, this is an arguemnt that can never be solved, but it is one of the most entertaining, most watched and produces soem of the best football available.

Last edited:

The Prem has one of the highest average attendance records over the world, it has for the last few years. The only league to beat it on the front is the Bundesliga, the Spanish league is way off being top and the Italian league is a non-starter from the bootlegging.

The Premiership had most players that were in the WC playing football week in week out, this is mearly a coincidence???

How many strikers find it hard to score in the Prem, Forlan is the greatest example, couldn't hit a barn door at Man U but went to Spain and became top scorer in his first season.

At nearly half way through the the current European campaigns from the co-efficient rankings England have 6 teams sitting in the top ten.

England has produced more winners of oe both the Cl/European cup(4) and UEFA cup(7) than any other nation, producing 10 different winners in total.

In the last 3 campaigns England have had 4 occasions of a team making it to the final including 2 finalists and 1 winner. Compared to 3 Spanish and 2 Italian. Three different teams compared to one from Italy. The UEFA cup has also been decent with a finalist last year to add.

The country rankings also don't lie, we are in with a shout of taking first this season but will at least be third with an eventual close race.

So lets take it down to actual teams winning the league. Compared to the "big three" on current form it has more chance of a selection of 3/4 teams winning it.If you think that any team other than Barca or Real will win the Spanish title in the next few years you are very naive. Sure the teams at the top will make a fight of it but they will fall away at the end.I shall give more credit towards Serie A but I still think over the next few years only 2/3 (at a push) will be capable of taking the title.

If you seriously call your self a football fan ( and take away the usually "Celtic" paranoia) you would at least be able to give a response that the Premiership is "distinctly average". You can't give credit to anything English, I know its not you fault, mummy and daddy and even the grandparents have told you all about the bad enemy that is south of the border. Its something that will never leave your nature, I know you excuse is always the English arrogance media blah blah blah( now which I will agree with that its poor but you still base your argument on this when ever this sort of subject pops up) so it gives you an inability to give credit where its due. I don't want to say that the Premiership is the "best" league, this is an arguemnt that can never be solved, but it is one of the most entertaining, most watched and produces soem of the best football available.

:applause: Brilliant post. Celtic fans are so up their own asses at times it makes me sick. One European cup decades ago and ONE victory against United (before this United beat them at Old Trafford and DESTROYED them in a friendly at Parkhead a few months ealier) they think their team is a Barcelona or Milan! Lets face it, Celtic are AN AVERAGE team and that is why it has hurt the United fans after controlling the match for so long.

First Celtic fan to admit their team is average, with average players but tremendous fans I will award a lollypop (or a glass of whiskey). :kiss: :kiss:

Oh and Classic, you might be through to the next round but United will still finish top of the table and they still sit top of a 'proper' league. So "Up Ye". :kiss: :kiss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloud, I'm sure the stats you've posted are true, but if at the end of the day I don't think the level of football played in the EPL is as good as in Spain or Italy, then why are they relevant?

Real Madrid haven't won the league in three years. Since the turn of the century, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia have each won it twice. Aside from Blackburn in one season, before Abramovich no one but Arsenal or Man Utd won the Premiership in the twelve seasons since it's renaming from the old Division One. Spain is a more competitive league, and to say only Barca or Madrid will win it in the coming years is very naive on your part. If anything, Italy has been dominated by Milan and Juve, so why you give it more credit than La Liga is puzzling.

As for players who couldn't succeed in England but made it elsewhere, well that's completely down to each individual's character and style of play. Thierry Henry couldn't make it in Italy yet he's been the top scorer in the EPL for three out of the last four seasons. Crespo was hardly a success in England, but he's pretty well-suited to Serie A, Shevchenko is possibly following him in that mould too. Some people can't settle in another culture, or adapt to how a league plays. It's a bit daft to simply offer up Forlan as an example, and thus declare the EPL is a tougher league to play in. :roll:

In two posts previously, I've stated the EPL has four very good teams, that's about as much credit as I think it deserves. The Premiership is one of the top three yes, that I agree on, so perhaps "distinctly average" wasn't the best term to use. I meant that in terms of competition, even a fan of the league can't argue it's been a long time since there was a decent title race.

Why would I be anti-English just for the sake of it? Anyone who knows me would also know you're talking through your shiter here. And your media reference is just daft, you say I always use this to be anti-English, yet you actually agree with me. :eh:

Diego, for the self-proclaimed biggest club in the world, an all-time total of two EC/CL wins is paltry, and your last was approaching eight years ago. You're just pissed because we did it first. :mrgreen:

Who said we think we're Barcelona or Milan? You're an eejit, because no one did. The only thing I've heard Celtic fans say which is along those lines is Celtic Park is one of the toughest places to play on a European night, and that is spot on.

And we'll see if you make it on matchday 6, you have to be favourites but it's nice to see you're not counting your chickens, taking qualification for granted, etc. I mean, Benfica didn't eliminate then-holders Liverpool at Anfield last year, and they didn't even knock your own team out or anything. :roll:

Cloud, I'm sure the stats you've posted are true, but if at the end of the day I don't think the level of football played in the EPL is as good as in Spain or Italy, then why are they relevant?

Real Madrid haven't won the league in three years. Since the turn of the century, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia have each won it twice. Aside from Blackburn in one season, before Abramovich no one but Arsenal or Man Utd won the Premiership in the twelve seasons since it's renaming from the old Division One. Spain is a more competitive league, and to say only Barca or Madrid will win it in the coming years is very naive on your part. If anything, Italy has been dominated by Milan and Juve, so why you give it more credit than La Liga is puzzling.

As for players who couldn't succeed in England but made it elsewhere, well that's completely down to each individual's character and style of play. Thierry Henry couldn't make it in Italy yet he's been the top scorer in the EPL for three out of the last four seasons. Crespo was hardly a success in England, but he's pretty well-suited to Serie A, Shevchenko is possibly following him in that mould too. Some people can't settle in another culture, or adapt to how a league plays. It's a bit daft to simply offer up Forlan as an example, and thus declare the EPL is a tougher league to play in. :roll:

In two posts previously, I've stated the EPL has four very good teams, that's about as much credit as I think it deserves. The Premiership is one of the top three yes, that I agree on, so perhaps "distinctly average" wasn't the best term to use. I meant that in terms of competition, even a fan of the league can't argue it's been a long time since there was a decent title race.

Why would I be anti-English just for the sake of it? Anyone who knows me would also know you're talking through your shiter here. And your media reference is just daft, you say I always use this to be anti-English, yet you actually agree with me. :eh:

Diego, for the self-proclaimed biggest club in the world, an all-time total of two EC/CL wins is paltry, and your last was approaching eight years ago. You're just pissed because we did it first. :mrgreen:

Who said we think we're Barcelona or Milan? You're an eejit, because no one did. The only thing I've heard Celtic fans say which is along those lines is Celtic Park is one of the toughest places to play on a European night, and that is spot on.

And we'll see if you make it on matchday 6, you have to be favourites but it's nice to see you're not counting your chickens, taking qualification for granted, etc. I mean, Benfica didn't eliminate then-holders Liverpool at Anfield last year, and they didn't even knock your own team out or anything. :roll:

Whoa, I am a Real Madrid supporter my friend! I just enjoy watching English football!

I wouldn't get carried away with that Celtic victory, because if United progress further than Celtic in the UCL, you will have egg on your face! Also, I know I won't be watching the "pish" SPL on the weekend when we have "proper" football fixtures like Man Utd V Chelsea to watch! Who are Celtic playing this weekend anway?

EDIT: It's Hibs away - I think I'll pass on that fixture! :lol:

Whoa, I am a Real Madrid supporter my friend! I just enjoy watching English football!

I wouldn't get carried away with that Celtic victory, because if United progress further than Celtic in the UCL, you will have egg on your face! Also, I know I won't be watching the "pish" SPL on the weekend when we have "proper" football fixtures like Man Utd V Chelsea to watch! Who are Celtic playing this weekend anway?

EDIT: It's Hibs away - I think I'll pass on that fixture! :lol:
If Man Utd end up winning it and Celtic go out in the last 16, I still won't have egg on my face. Celtic aren't expected to do well in the CL, Man Utd are, and with the difference in money each team has that should be clear as day.

Diego in "SPL is crap" jibe shocker. Oooooooh!

Last16.com

:mrgreen:

I don't know what Diego is quite getting at, I'm not sure many Celtic fans even expected the team to get through the group stages, let alone progress further than Manchester United.:shock:

I also don't think anyone here is saying the SPL is better than the EPL, Classic was discussing Italy and Spain.

The only league I watch every week is the EPL, not because it's the best league but because it's entertaining, which I guess is what counts. English and Scottish teams are very similar, outside of one or two teams, they mostly win by "never giving up" or what some might call "bulldog spirit", not because they have the most possesion and lovely attacking football.

Celtic can play some decent football when it's needed, but sometimes that's not the best strategy. Manchester United and Arsenal are reluctant to play anything but an attacking game, Chelsea aren't, which is why they grind out results against some of the 'lesser' teams in the EPL when United and Arsenal might not.

I hope this makes sense, I'm not too good at putting my thoughts into words.

Last edited:
I fully agree with Classic on the Premiership.
The Premiership has four class teams: Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.
Considering the fact that 3 of them are among the 10 richest sport clubs in the world (and that means including American sports club) and that all 4 of them are among the 20 richest sports clubs...it's very normal that they are very good.
Considering their financial wealth they are hopelessly underachieving in European football (but the same goes for Celtic, as much as i like the club...what Celtic payed for Larsson alone is more than the annual budget of Anderlecht to put things in perspective).
And for every Forlan i can find a Thiery Henry who is world class in the Premiership but seldom the match decider in Europe (for the record: i'm fond of Henry).

The fact that Celtic won against Man Utd is a great achievement.

Celtic are my favourite team in this year's CL...on top of that they have the best fans in the world.

Gerd, I assume you're talking about Larsson's wages in his final contract with Celtic? We only paid £650,000 for him from Feyenoord! :shock:

My relevance to all three leagues are simple, they are the top three. Each and everyone will have their own personal choice but they are all up their. You used "distinctly average" as a reference. I still don't think you get it.

I am not trying to make out it is a million times better than other said leagues but what you need to pick out of you brain is the fact it is on a level pegging.

La Liga for me is one of the most over-rated of the three. Ok so attacking wise its better but where the hell is defending in this league. Only a few teams in the league actually practice this art.

It's frustrating to watch sometimes and this is why in recent years English teams have had the better of the Spanish overall. But my comments may say I have problems liking the Spanish league for its defensive frailties, though I would not call it "distinctly average", this again would be naive.

I agree with you on the fact that the Spanish league has had the most winners but it faiding, the teams in Spain are getteing richer at the topp, the way that the Italians and the English teams both done. If someone else wins the Primera other than Barca, Real and at a push the Liverpool of Spain(Valencia) then I will eat my hat.

It is a very hard league for players to adapt like all leagues this is true, but players think they can come and walk into it score goals and achieve what they did in other leagues. What position did Henry play in Italy? Winger so that comparison is piss poor.:roll:

The reason I think the Italian laegue better is tatically its better, has a much better mix than spain of Gk's, defenders, midfielders and strikers.

Top say I agree with you about the fact that the English media are OTT does not give you the use of the excuse at all times.

Am I the English fucking media, are any of the people on this forum, I will agree that the media are a pain in the arse but you find it an easy excuse to use your "nationalsim". Its the most common reason I hear and its just as pathetic as Mottson's commentry.

The English league is as good as the other two fact, simple maybe it is third from three in some eyes and first on others, it is hard to really pinpiont as they all have something different to offer. Simple side of this argument to call the Spanish League "distincly average" compared to the others would be to talk out of one's shitter, your comments is no different.:roll:

Last edited:
Oh guys, I was only kidding, who needs Man United V Chelsea on a Sunday afternoon when you have fixtures like Celtic V Dundee United? I love the attractive football AND the sexy players like Neil Lennon, who's personality, red hair and intelligence I admire. I love the warm weather, blue skies and friendly, non-racist Glasgow supporters. I love the Celtic/Rangers banter, some people say it's a tired derby now but I disagree - I love watching them play each other 20 times a season. I love the big signings Celtic make and I couldn't believe they let such world-class international, prolific strikers like John Hartson and Chris Sutton (who both still play for such high profile clubs) leave.

I love Celtic. I love you all. :kiss: :kiss:

Oh guys, I was only kidding, who needs Man United V Chelsea on a Sunday afternoon when you have fixtures like Celtic V Dundee United? I love the attractive football AND the sexy players like Neil Lennon, who's personality, red hair and intelligence I admire. I love the warm weather, blue skies and friendly, non-racist Glasgow supporters. I love the Celtic/Rangers banter, some people say it's a tired derby now but I disagree - I love watching them play each other 20 times a season. I love the big signings Celtic make and I couldn't believe they let such world-class international, prolific strikers like John Hartson and Chris Sutton (who both still play for such high profile clubs) leave.

Now, that's more like it.:)

Cloud, take a look at the post you quoted, I explained the "distinctly average" comment. I acknowledge it's one of the top three, the remark was in reference to how competitive it's been recently - i.e. not very.

So what if Henry was played out wide in Italy, is it just me or does he drift out wide ALL THE TIME for Arsenal? He doesn't play the striker role in the Premiership either! For whatever reason he couldn't cut it at Juve, like I said it might well be a cultural thing, it's not reflective of a league's standing over another.

Slating the defending in Spain is about as cliche as those who call Italian football defensive, but if that's what you think then fine.

Use of what excuse, I can say the English press are OTT as much as I fucking want, it's still nothing to do with the fact I think the standard of football isn't on a par with Italy and Spain!

I applauded JB and Ad for their views earlier on, so you're out of line to say I'm anti-English, you're verging on calling me a racist but if that's what you think then come out and say it, don't dance around the issue with shite like "nationalism". :roll:

Haha Diego, you're a laugh I have to admit. Hartson, despite being a big heffer, actually is a prolific striker. Sutton was joint-top scorer in the fabled-EPL the one season Man Utd or Arsenal didn't win it. :lol:

Oops Classic, maybe it could have been his wages...i remember hearing this when watching Anderlecht trashed by Celtic....although i'm far from an Anderlecht fan (but i always support Belgium teams in Europe) it was some kind of comfort for me although i was highly suprised.
I remember that at the time we had a discussion about money and football...
Celtic were fabulous that night (but still...their first goals was off-side...and of course you dind't agree with me on that subject).

Actually this is quite funny :D Nice use of sarcasm to express your points without getting people to riled up.

Rune, the EPL is distinctly average, and up it's own arse in terms of how good it thinks it is. You have 4 very good sides. that's just my opinion. Our winner came from a peach of a free-kick and we saved a penalty, but in terms of chances created we contained United pretty comfortably, as mentioned above.
Thats your opinion on the EPL so thats fine but I dont see how Celtic beating Man Utd does anything to back up your opinion on the EPL. That doesnt make sense.

I'm not even sure if that was sarcasm or not.
Anyway, Southend beat us too. What would that tell us if we used your logic?

Back
Top Bottom