Celtic Thread

For next season's CL - Celtic will finish in a provisional Pot 2 position if any one of; Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Villarreal, Seville or Everton qualify for the Champions League, or conversely any of Bayer Leverkusen, Valencia or Liverpool fail to qualify.

That's a bit of a joke, the list of team's in the first instance. None have any creditable achievements of late in Europe, fuck I think Everton where last in Europe when Andy Gray was up front for them. :mrgreen:

FD

Not overly amused by this joke, however:-

"Michael Jackson is ready to emigrate to Seville, he heard how 2 years ago 80,000 bhoys went there and got fucked, with not one single arrest".

FD

Tough game last night. Glad to see that there was no panic and resorting to a punt up the park at any time, we kept playing away and got what we deserved.

Might as well start with this - thought Hartson was extremely poor. Whether he is carrying an injury or not, he should not be in the team if it's hindering him to that extent. Even the basic 5-yard pass seemed beyond him at times. One thing I have to say I hate about John, is that when he's contesting a high ball with his back to goal, most of the time he doesn't even jump - he just backs in and ends up getting nowhere near the ball, or conceding a free-kick. It's time he was dropped, because if he isn't scoring he's doing nothing, give Beattie a chance (I was actually hoping the stories in the paper after Saturday about BBJ picking up a knock and being out of the game vs Caley were true as this would have meant Beatigol starting. Saw that name on a Celtic board, fantastic :D).

McGeady - what can you say? The short spell out of the team has done wonders for him, last night was like watching a kid on the playground. The run he did before seeing his shot saved was fabulous. A fantastic little pass for Bellamy's opener too. Bellamy had a very good match again, great running off the ball, and he did it all night too.

The rest of the side were solid, though I was getting worried at HT as MON had once again decided to play players out of position when it was unneccessary (Petrov wide-right, McGeady wide-left with Thommo/Lennon central). Thankfully he changed it for the 2nd half and we deserved the win.

On our current form surely a pumping of Dundee Utd isn't to be ruled out, but a win is a win and I will take one no matter how we play, because unlike earlier in the season an 'ugly win' now is not the norm.

Yep totally agree, although not about dropping BBJ. He was crap last night, no doubts, didn't actually look interested. However dropping him? Don't think so, his goal scoring record is great and will always nab a goal as he's proved of late. Thought McGeady, Bellamy and Laursen where very good, although thought the whole defence played well. Thompson was pish, as was Petrov, although they slightly improved in the 2nd half, I was shouting for that same type of switch. My Dad did mention that although Thommohawk think's he's a central midfielder, he just isn't. Wants to much time on the ball and doesn't have a good enough engine on him.

Will take any type of win at Tannadice as we can't be picky, although hopefully we can hit away at that goal difference.

FD

Bellamy's goals, fuck me they were outstanding. Hartson was SHITE again, not kicked his own arse since he penned his new deal. John, you're allowed to compete for a high-ball, not just decide you can't be arsed jumping and stand there like a fanny! Sutton showed how it should be done by setting up the third.

MON saying he wants to keep Bellamy, O'Neill said: "If Craig Bellamy wants to stay, then we will have to find the money to keep him."

"I thought Bellamy's goals were really outstanding - from an outstanding player.

"The first one was a cracker and the second one was brilliant, almost on the half-turn, and his third goal was also excellent."

Bellamy said: "I realise the financial problems in terms of a package, but, all things being equal, I would like to stay."

O'Neill said: "Juninho came to see me to ask me about leaving.

"He has said a number of clubs are interested in him and their league is starting up soon.

"He wants to end his career in Brazil anyway and he'd like to go now.

"So, if he feels that way, then what can you do? But there has been no contact whatsoever from any club.

"He just wants to play every single week and feels his chances might be limited in the long-term but, if he decided to stay, I'd be delighted.

"But I would be sympathetic if he does want to leave."

http://www.esthercoma.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bellamy3.wmv

notworthy.gif

Superb, actually an excellent game and Utd gave it their all. Bellamy was brilliant. Thought our central defenders where mince, especially big Varga. Hartson was poor again, although CD I disagree about the 'hasn't kicked his arse since re-signing', he's scored a good lot of goals. He's picked up an injury and for me the last two games he's been poor, but I think the injury has to be an important factor in that. Not that we can bring in another big striker, now that Sutton is injured again and not sure if Beattie can do what BBJ can.

FD

He's scored 3 league goals since he signed his deal, and 1 cup goal from memory. It's not really the goals I get pissed off at, it's the rest of his play. He's always been this way so it's not the injury, how anyone can get away with being that overweight is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, BBJ can be very useful but I think MON should drop him once in a while to give Beattie or Maloney a chance.

BBJ doesn't run off the ball, he gives away a ton of free-kicks when he should be creating chances from flick-ons, etc. Beattie runs all over, has pace and drive - came on vs Dundee scored, came on vs Inverness sent over the cross for the pen, etc.

He's injured/not on form, either way he doesn't deserve a start just now IMO.

Think he's scored a couple more than that, and can't be far off a goal every other game since re-signing, so isn't that bad (actually think his career at celtic is better than that average). I quite like Beattie although I think he's a bit of a chicken without a head (btw his goal was the 6th in a 6-0 win over the Pars), he can't push people around like BBJ. As for Maloney, he's a nippy little player, but no way would I have him up front with Bellamy. Bellamy thrives off a big striker and that wouldn't be the best partnership for rough games in my eyes. BBJ comes into his own against Rangers, apart from the last game he has terrorised them and had a hand in almost every goal we score against them. As for fouling, I say more offsides, he's terrible at that, however the fouls he gives away are a joke, him and Sutton get it all the time, whilst other strikers seem to get away with murder (It's the exact same as Bobo Balde compared to Marvin Andrews - that guy is a plain nutter).

I do think BBJ has been stinky the past couple of games, but he's been superb all season for me. For me it's between him, Sutton and Ricksen for the POTY.

FD

Was I the only Celtic fan that was a bit pissed-off with that Fuck-wit of an Irish manager taking young McGeady over for the game and not using him? After playing in Israel he is asked to join the squad for the Ireland game against China, however I'm sure young Aiden would've been expecting to come on at some stage and seems like a total waste of time, he's already been involved in get-together's anyway, so not exactly a new thing for him.

FD

So let's have him travel here, there and everywhere then have him play 90 minutes, and get injured towards the end then? :mrgreen:

Does seem a bit daft to draft him in and not use him, but it's only over in Dublin, I doubt the boy is going to be shattered after like a 20 minute flight!

But he could've been resting for the next few days as opposed to going over there for nothing. Just what I'm thinking and if fans think like yourself, he might come a cropper if he plays a stinker (which he's being doing recently, although came back well) against Hearts and we slip up, just that I think this wouldn't help his cause with the travelling.

FD

dam hearts :roll: .....they did deserve the win but its still anoying it seem now that the winner of the OF at ibrox will decide the title even though ppl say there are still pionts to be droped.

PMSL @ Brian Quinn :lol: .......well done the fans at the game on sat for booing him:applause: .....i would have loved to have been there.

Yep, that was a ball-buster of a result.

As you said the OF game is going to decide it, but now Rangers don't necessarily have to win it. Funny how MO goes for a 3-5-2 after getting rid of Juninho, blew up in his face big time, not sure why he persists in playing Thommo in the middle, he hasn't got the stamina or speed for it. If we do lose the league only he can take the blame for his fuck-up's in the transfer market and team selections/subsitutions.

FD

Sure we played 3-5-2 at home to Dunfermline, then away to Dundee Utd and Inverness, worked a treat. Can understand him not playing Juninho in those games as McGeady has been on fire since his wee stint out of the team. Juninho officially released from his contract today.

Lambert wants to manage Dundee Utd I see. Good luck to him, and I know it's not his fault but why was he paid even half-wages for the past year (which would be around £15,000pw) when he didn't play, and there was every chance he was gonna leave in such a fashion anyway?

I heard Lambo on the radio last night and he said it would be after his contract ended, therefore he won't be going anywhere until then.

About 3-5-2, think you'll find your wrong there mate, 4-4-2, Laursen and McNamara where playing on both flanks, they did make subs to change the way they played in some of the last few games (i.e. Sutton against Utd because chasing the game, Laursen got injured in one game I think Caley? And Dunfy when we went mental with goals).

McGeady did play quite well against Dunfermline and Caley, but against United and Hearts he was poor, I did hear a lot of grumblings with his final ball, I do actually believe that he is the 2nd poorest crosser behind Agathe of any of the forward players. I also don't know why MO persists with Wallace, he won't make it. He dilly-dally's on the ball too much, although he is quite a useful crosser when he can be arsed crossing it.

I just can't believe what MO was expecting from Juninho to start off with, he got him on the cheap transfer wise so was he expecting him to set up every single goal and never lose the ball? The thing is you can't exactly blame Juninho for not doing it in big games, as the one's we slipped up in he wasn't playing in with the exception of a League Cup game at Ibrox and the draw at Hibs (where he did set up both goals).

FD

Maybe I am wrong about the 3-5-2 thing then, but it can be changed so quickly into 3-5-2 when McNamara is playing that it's hard to tell (he set up Bellamy's first vs Utd with a breaking run from the midfield, for example).

Wallace ain't exactly had many chances, ok he missed a guilt-edged one vs Hearts on Sat but look at how piss-poor Thompson has been ALL SEASON, think you're being harsh on Wallace - he's had far fewer chances than Juninho.

Juninho played at home vs Barca, did nothing, played away vs Shakhtar, did nothing. Gets pushed off the ball too easy, Bellamy for example isn't much larger and doesn't shirk a challenge. Juninho had a marvellous debut and did nothing afterwards. The guy has looked depressed since he got here.

Can you tell me who did anything against Shahktar? Name one if you like? In the first half against Barca, who did anything against Barca? Sutton changed the game. I've only heard a few Celtic fans mention how bad he was and these are the two games they keep mentioning! That and the Rangers Cup defeat, where in most fans eyes him and Hartson where the only one doing something against them.

He started 14 games and 9 as a sub (most coming on with around 10-15mins) and he's set up about 6 or 7 goals. I do think he was demoralised near the end, but who can blame him? He was snubbed straight after the Well game where he played very well and set up 2 goals and as usual was subbed, everyone expected for the game against Milan, but with the exception of the Rangers cup tie where we had a couple of players out he didn't start again for ages until Aberdeen.

I can't disagree with you about Thommo, he's been mince, but I'd always have him in before McGeady on the left as he's far far far superior in delivering balls. Although I'd rather have McGeady just behind the strikers on at least in a central position as Thommo is very poor there.

FD

I never said anyone else did particularly well in either of those games, I was making the point he had more opportunities "in big games" than you mentioned. Juninho was brought in to make his mark in these matches, to give us an edge, he should be expected to perform in them more than other players.

As for Thommo I think he needs a spell on the sidelines, he doesn't even get into a position to cross now because he thinks he's Roy Keane. He knows no matter how shite he plays he is going to be on the teamsheet for the next game, and this is affecting his game IMO. Same goes for other players, they know they're guaranteed a starting place every week so where's the pressure/drive to perform? MON needs to realise that it's a squad game and drop these guys from time to time, give the youngsters a chance, how are they going to gain experience when they never play? I feel worse for Beattie than Juninho, Beattie has impressed me every time he's been brought on and wasn't even in the 16 for Saturday's game, while fatboy kept his place as usual. Just because Hartson loves getting it up 'them' shouldn't mean he's untouchable, he has been dross lately but yet again MON keeps him in.

:lol: LOL..............people will think we're having a right barney. :lol:

Actually about Juninho, your saying he's had more chances in bigger games than anyone, well that's definetely not the case. He only started 2 CL games out of 6, he's only started 2 games against Rangers (1 being a cup-tie and that was more down to us having Injuries). So really mate, that isn't really a good argument. The thing that has to be remembered is that in the games we slipt up he was not playing, therefore any failure can't really be labelled at him.

Your most defo right about other players, Hartson has scored a lot of goals, although recently he has been poor, although I still think others like Petrov and Thompson who where mince have had runs too for longer periods (although Stan has improved a bit).

I did hear him getting slagged on Tic-Talk (Celtic TV) and the radio about how his favourites are causing some of the bother i.e. not wanting to leave them out or sub them.

Not sure if you heard/read also about Dominik Diamond who slagged off the board on Celtic TV and they've sacked him from the show. :lol: I totally agreed with him, but seems the board didn't like that and also how poor big Rab was and hoped he would possibly pick up an injury (although he said that was tongue in cheek), they did say how he maybe invited again, but I doubt it. Although he was talking rather mince when he said McGeady was our best player and should be the first name on the teamsheet. I do like Diamond though, as he's a good laugh.

FD

Back
Top Bottom