Celtic Thread

Frank you listen to Clyde news too much, my da said the exact same thing to me "supposedly he didn't impress". Remember when Hugh Keevins said the next Celtic boss would be Artur Jorge? :lol:

Bellamy is a wee dickhead.

Aye, but he's a good playing wee dickhead.

I've just been told by a white faced Rangers fan, that Klos is out for the season after a training accident. Please god let it be true. About time something happened with the luck they've had with goalies (had a daft wee boy as back-up since god knows how long).

See how they can do without the best goalie in Britain now (by a long shot).

FD

'Ibrox number one Stefan Klos has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, while Allan McGregor is cup-tied for the CIS Insurance Cup semi-final against Dundee United next week.

That leaves Smith, 21, as the only cover for the game at Hampden Park on February 2.'

Vignal and the new Greek guy are already on loan, so they can't even bring in a goalie that way either.

:lmao:

friedel cmon, this guy has been great for a while, playing behind a shitty defense, and much stiffer competetion then any of the scottiish league keepers face.... and robbo is pure class, OH shit and i forgot given for newcastle, he was a one man team against arsenal last weekend

Friedel played in the CL has he? He's a solid keeper but at Klos' level IMO, Klos won the CL with Dortmund remember and has played in it with Rangers also. Robinson and Given are good goalkeepers too, Given moreso, maybe he's the same bracket too.

As for this 'much stiffer competition', yeah the quality is higher but not as high as people would have you believe, and again the playing in Europe thing comes into it.

I really don't give a shit anyway, it's just great that he's out! :mrgreen:

ClassicD said:
Friedel played in the CL has he? He's a solid keeper but at Klos' level IMO, Klos won the CL with Dortmund remember and has played in it with Rangers also. Robinson and Given are good goalkeepers too, Given moreso, maybe he's the same bracket too.

As for this 'much stiffer competition', yeah the quality is higher but not as high as people would have you believe, and again the playing in Europe thing comes into it.

I really don't give a shit anyway, it's just great that he's out! :mrgreen:
bro sorry, but you ever hear of the US national team, A veteran of three World Cups, he is the second-most capped goalkeeper in U.S. National Team history … , I beleive blackburn where in the UEFA cup a couple of seaons ago, please dont bring up CL, when friedel is a world cup legend for the US...... i dont really give a shit anyways either, i just like sticking to you guys with the US players!!!!

p.s.
in WC 2002 he stopped two pk's in open play(not shootout) thats pretty imopressive and that level of play is far higher then the CL

I would disagree with you on that, unless USA played a big team. Don't know which game he made those saves in but USA played Portugal (had a terrible WC), Poland, Mexico and Germany. IMO none of those teams are a better level than Barcelona, Milan, etc, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Yeah he did play in the UEFA Cup a few seasons ago, Celtic put 3 past him over 2 games :).

ClassicD said:
I would disagree with you on that, unless USA played a big team. Don't know which game he made those saves in but USA played Portugal (had a terrible WC), Poland, Mexico and Germany. IMO none of those teams are a better level than Barcelona, Milan, etc, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Yeah he did play in the UEFA Cup a few seasons ago, Celtic put 3 past him over 2 games :).
yoru kidding me right? he made a pk save on one louis figo, i guess he is crap....
germany got to the world cup final.... and klos cant even get in that team.... mexico? these guys make it thru the to the knockout round of pretty much every cup they play in, so let me explain some more, they played s korea who made it to the semi's, and they played germany who got to the final, and they shut out mexico who is a powerhouse in this region, so if making the finals and the semifinal(korea and germany) being a favorite(portugal) and doing well in world cups in general(mexico) doesnt make you a big team, i would love to know what your concept of a big team is.... the only crap team we played was poland.... this is a good debate though, comparing club teams to nat teams is tough, BUT you have to agree the level of competetion is just as good, i mean little kids dont grow up thinking oh one day i wanna win the CL, bullshit, they all grow up with one thing in mind, world cup glory, you know its true.... notice how i have refrainend for making any comments on scottish national team :), there is such a snobbery about the european game its ridiculous.... the results speak for themselves.....

p.s.
i wonder why portgual had a bad cup, maybe it is because the US embarrased then on day one!!!

p.s. part two,
my avatar is glaring at you :)

Last edited:
Oh don't talk shite!

Mexico a "powerhouse"? I've seen more power in my house, and I live in a hut! I have to sit and think hard just to remember who Mexico have as their front pairing, Blanco (ancient) and one other guy who I can't mind but is hardly a star. Poland were expected to do well in that WC but totally flopped, same as Portugal who won 1 group match. Korea, well they got so many refereeing decisions in that World Cup it was unbelievable, Ecuadorian refs, etc, WTF was that all about?! It is widely accepted that Germany were very fortunate in the path they had to the final, Brasil were the first big team they played and that was in the final!

Big teams = teams which have WORLD star players, like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Kaka, etc, etc. You know exactly the calibre of player I'm talking about, and it's not Miroslav Klose or Lee Cheon Soo! The World Cup is a big stage, the biggest of them all, but it's clear that the front lines Friedel faced in the World Cup weren't as strong as those in the CL, bar Figo.

I don't see what's snobbish, it's a blatant fact that the best players play in Europe.

ClassicD said:
Oh don't talk shite!

Mexico a "powerhouse"? I've seen more power in my house, and I live in a hut! I have to sit and think hard just to remember who Mexico have as their front pairing, Blanco (ancient) and one other guy who I can't mind but is hardly a star. Poland were expected to do well in that WC but totally flopped, same as Portugal who won 1 group match. Korea, well they got so many refereeing decisions in that World Cup it was unbelievable, Ecuadorian refs, etc, WTF was that all about?! It is widely accepted that Germany were very fortunate in the path they had to the final, Brasil were the first big team they played and that was in the final!

Big teams = teams which have WORLD star players, like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Kaka, etc, etc. You know exactly the calibre of player I'm talking about, and it's not Miroslav Klose or Lee Cheon Soo! The World Cup is a big stage, the biggest of them all, but it's clear that the front lines Friedel faced in the World Cup weren't as strong as those in the CL, bar Figo.

I don't see what's snobbish, it's a blatant fact that the best players play in Europe.
nah thats a load fo crap... brazil has players you have never heard of who would be studs in europe.. mexicans dont go to europe because the mexican players are paid very well, i said mexico is a power house in our region, you dont see american football all that much(south and central and north) blanco at the time was not ancient... and is has nothing to do with the caliber of player it has all to do with the pressure of the world cup, friedel is one of two keepers ever in WC history to save two pk's in the group round... and your fogetting one thing, 11 players are on a team not one.. for all of the studs of argentia, france and portgula those guys couldnt get out of the group stage, the US, mexico and germany did, it comes down to teams playing as teams and not individuals in world cups... im talking results here not oh, well south korea doesnt have any studs in europe so they suck, what a bunch of bullshit, they got to the semi finals!!!! Same with germany... but in there case they got to the finals!!! start talking results and not well this player is better then that player, doesnt mean shit if you have 11 great players and they dont play well as a team, see
portugal, argentina, france..... its not about the best players but the best team, and you cant sit here and tell me that brazil had a great defense individually(englands is far better as well as most european teams), but as a team they are fantastic, outside cafu who did they have, rouqe junior? kleberson as a d middy(the guy hasnt done shit for united, spector an american who only has one cap has played more in the past year for united) your argument is weak and has holes all over it.... friedel did it at the biggest stage, and he played great... i guess we can agree to disagree

"brazil has players you have never heard of who would be studs in europe..

Relevant to this discussion how? Did the USA play Brasil?

"mexicans dont go to europe because the mexican players are paid very well, i said mexico is a power house in our region"

Why are we limiting it to your region? Mexico have never, ever been a major team in a World Cup.

"and is has nothing to do with the caliber of player it has all to do with the pressure of the world cup"

Quite frankly, nonsense. So Saudi Arabia vs Jamaica, if it happened in a group stage, is a bigger game than Milan vs Barcelona in the CL group stage? :lol: It's PRECISELY about the calibre of player. The World Cup lasts for 4 weeks and even then only 2 teams will play for that length of time - the CL lasts a season. Anyone can come into form for less than 4 weeks, for goodness sake Gary Breen of Ireland had a marvellous World Cup and was playing for West Ham reserves in The Championship less than a season later!

"friedel is one of two keepers ever in WC history to save two pk's in the group round"

Saving two penalties does not make you a world-class goalkeeper. Does it make him better than the goalkeepers who haven't achieved this stat? How many teams concede two penalties in their opening 3 games?

"for all of the studs of argentia, france and portgula those guys couldnt get out of the group stage, the US, mexico and germany did"

Yes that's true, those teams underperformed. I would like to mention however that Argentina had a slightly harder group than Germany, being against England, Sweden and Nigeria.

"well south korea doesnt have any studs in europe so they suck, what a bunch of bullshit, they got to the semi finals!!!!"

Covered this one already Christopher, Ecuadorian referees ring a bell?

"Same with germany... but in there case they got to the finals!!!"

And again going over old ground - easiest path to a World Cup final ever, the first powerhouse they played was in the final, unless you count Saudi Arabia, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA, and Korea as powerhouses in world football.

"start talking results and not well this player is better then that player, doesnt mean shit if you have 11 great players and they dont play well as a team"

The only way to do this is to compare a national team to a club team. Would Barcelona or Milan lose to Poland or Korea, or even Germany? IMO, not a chance in hell. How many of those national team's starting 11 would get into either of those club's starting 11? That's what you must look at.

"and you cant sit here and tell me that brazil had a great defense individually(englands is far better as well as most european teams), but as a team they are fantastic, outside cafu who did they have, rouqe junior?

Lucio and Edmilson had solid tournaments, but Brasil aren't reknowned for their defensive abilities anyway. Yes it is about the best team, and the big European clubs are better than a large percentage of the nations who participated in the 2002 World Cup!

Kleberson has been injured as far as I know, plus he is a midfielder so it's a silly argument to compare him to Spector who plays defense, an area Man Utd are/were weak in pre-Rio Ferdinand return.

"your argument is weak and has holes all over it.... friedel did it at the biggest stage, and he played great... i guess we can agree to disagree"

It doesn't have holes in it, the simple fact is Brad Friedel did not face the world's top strikers at the World Cup, and you cannot win the Champions' League without doing so. If you want to keep up this crap about "teams not players" then fine, the teams he faced were weak compared to Europe's elite clubs.

IMO - Klos is better than Friedel, and seeing as I get to see both English and Scottish football extensively I am in a position to compare, which I doubt you are (last time I checked the SPL wasn't covered nearly that much in the US, fuck it's not covered much outside Scotland in the first place).

I'm away for a glass of water. :mrgreen:

:applause: i think ClassicD wins....anyhoo back to all things Celtic i think im resigned to Balde leaving us now if he was going to sign a new deal i think he would have by now we should get rid of him now instead of him leaving in the summer for nothing.

:lol: hehe, thanks for that CD and CS, very good.

In my opinion he's the best anyway, Niemi a close close second. Klos was that good Niemi couldn't get a game for Rangers. It's how consistent the guy is. Don't get me wrong Friedel is up there too, the guy was unbelievable in the past couple of seasons but in terms of consistency, nah.

Although not sure what CS is slabbering about with regards to opposition, if you can save a hell of a lot of shots then for me that's a class keeper, no matter who's shooting. How do you think Schmeicel was signed, by luck? Does it depend on who kicks the ball at goal? :l

FD

Schmeichel was judged as one of the best after he'd won the CL and played against the best, not before he signed for Man Utd. Anyway, just thinking about this issue makes me tired.

MON has said the young Polish striker did well on the trial and that they will continue to monitor him, while Bill Tchato wasn't fit enough.

Also, Henri Camara is at Southampton discussing terms and his agent has reportedly said a deal has been agreed for Southampton to take over the remainder of his loan move. While I think this is best for all parties, I will say people have been a bit over-critical of the player up here. Look at who he was replacing, and look at his goal ratio (8 goals from 12 starts), it's not his fault Wolves asked for that much or that Celtic paid it.

Had to laugh at Jim Jeffries yesterday, still couldn't go a whole post-match interview without saying Celtic got a decision or two their way, he claimed his side should have had a PK and that Fanny Invisible was "maybe using his arms for leverage".

Shite game tho.

Yeah, he's always like that.

Totally disagree with Camara, he's mince. Thank christ Harry Redknapp is on the laughing juice. Craig Bellamy said to be signing for a 6 month loan deal, with a signing option at end of season. For me that will be a brilliant option. He is a bit of a fud now again but his ability is undoubted.

I hold my hand up to the board and say if they get him in they've came up trumps (as has MO). Supposedly going for Hartley again too.

FD

Also Balde is set to see out the rest of his contract. Would prefer if he moved on, but if he stays then at least it's another defender. However I hope MO brings in Henchoz once he's fit and plays straight away. Might as well bed him in and not wait till the start of next season. Drop Bobo, it's not going to be that much of big difference and he can be used as cover.

FD

Bellamy would be great signing if he didn't kick up any shite like he is known to do, tho BBJ might help there cos he's settled here. I agree if they got him you would have to credit the board and MON. Loads of speculation all over the place about this move this afternoon, but I ain't holding my breath.

about the bellemy thing it was on the scottish news that he has signed with us got the option to sign him for 5 m at the end of the loan.
Camara has also apparently signed for Southamton and Headman rejected a loan move to Anderlechet.

and as for signing Hencoz now he is a Celtic player i will give him the benefit
of the doubt hope he dose a good job for us.

ClassicD said:
"brazil has players you have never heard of who would be studs in europe..

Relevant to this discussion how? Did the USA play Brasil?

"mexicans dont go to europe because the mexican players are paid very well, i said mexico is a power house in our region"

Why are we limiting it to your region? Mexico have never, ever been a major team in a World Cup.

"and is has nothing to do with the caliber of player it has all to do with the pressure of the world cup"

Quite frankly, nonsense. So Saudi Arabia vs Jamaica, if it happened in a group stage, is a bigger game than Milan vs Barcelona in the CL group stage? :lol: It's PRECISELY about the calibre of player. The World Cup lasts for 4 weeks and even then only 2 teams will play for that length of time - the CL lasts a season. Anyone can come into form for less than 4 weeks, for goodness sake Gary Breen of Ireland had a marvellous World Cup and was playing for West Ham reserves in The Championship less than a season later!

"friedel is one of two keepers ever in WC history to save two pk's in the group round"

Saving two penalties does not make you a world-class goalkeeper. Does it make him better than the goalkeepers who haven't achieved this stat? How many teams concede two penalties in their opening 3 games?

"for all of the studs of argentia, france and portgula those guys couldnt get out of the group stage, the US, mexico and germany did"

Yes that's true, those teams underperformed. I would like to mention however that Argentina had a slightly harder group than Germany, being against England, Sweden and Nigeria.

"well south korea doesnt have any studs in europe so they suck, what a bunch of bullshit, they got to the semi finals!!!!"

Covered this one already Christopher, Ecuadorian referees ring a bell?

"Same with germany... but in there case they got to the finals!!!"

And again going over old ground - easiest path to a World Cup final ever, the first powerhouse they played was in the final, unless you count Saudi Arabia, Ireland, Cameroon, Paraguay, USA, and Korea as powerhouses in world football.

"start talking results and not well this player is better then that player, doesnt mean shit if you have 11 great players and they dont play well as a team"

The only way to do this is to compare a national team to a club team. Would Barcelona or Milan lose to Poland or Korea, or even Germany? IMO, not a chance in hell. How many of those national team's starting 11 would get into either of those club's starting 11? That's what you must look at.

"and you cant sit here and tell me that brazil had a great defense individually(englands is far better as well as most european teams), but as a team they are fantastic, outside cafu who did they have, rouqe junior?

Lucio and Edmilson had solid tournaments, but Brasil aren't reknowned for their defensive abilities anyway. Yes it is about the best team, and the big European clubs are better than a large percentage of the nations who participated in the 2002 World Cup!

Kleberson has been injured as far as I know, plus he is a midfielder so it's a silly argument to compare him to Spector who plays defense, an area Man Utd are/were weak in pre-Rio Ferdinand return.

"your argument is weak and has holes all over it.... friedel did it at the biggest stage, and he played great... i guess we can agree to disagree"

It doesn't have holes in it, the simple fact is Brad Friedel did not face the world's top strikers at the World Cup, and you cannot win the Champions' League without doing so. If you want to keep up this crap about "teams not players" then fine, the teams he faced were weak compared to Europe's elite clubs.

IMO - Klos is better than Friedel, and seeing as I get to see both English and Scottish football extensively I am in a position to compare, which I doubt you are (last time I checked the SPL wasn't covered nearly that much in the US, fuck it's not covered much outside Scotland in the first place).

I'm away for a glass of water. :mrgreen:
bro we get Scottish Football - all Celtic and Rangers matches at my local, every single game they play.... i guess we disagree on this one :) klos is nice, but i like my american keeper....

Back
Top Bottom