Celtic Thread

nothing the board dose suprises me anymore they have always been like that they wait till we start failing to win titles to spend some money. I see Petrov is being chased by Bolton for 2m well i know where they can go.

On to the game on Sunday with Rangers loss of big Boumsong i think we can win this game if we play at our best as they have lost the their best defender (imo).

Celtic might have the players to win the SPL, simply because that aint a hard job as its mainly a 2 team league..

But they have not got the players for Europe, as everyone seen, and this is what makes Scottish football crap when the 2 top teams get thrashed in Europe..

I dont understand why Celtic dont buy players, but Rangers can being about 20 million in debt..ok.

Also I think its pretty damn hard getting big names to Scottish football, simply because it aint a challenge, you play Hearts and Rangers, and thats all the hard work over, maybe Hibs can do some damage, who knows.

Celtic are just too tight, I bet if Celtic won the CL they still wouldnt get £5 to spend on players.

And to be honest I cant see Celtic winning against Rangers or the league, but we will see.

Its not just that Scottish football is poor the big reason is money that we scottish teams cant get big name player i mean teams like birmingham can out bid Celtic for players....:shock: im sure if the SPL had the investment that the Premiership got then we could improve and get better players into our game.

There are players out there that dont buy into the hype of how good the almighty Premiership is sure its better than the Scottish game but most things are right now Henrik Larsson is 1 ...Man u wanted him while he was at Celtic and he told them where to go. Also on the subject of the scottish game i hate it when our players go down south the argument i get is they are going to a better leauge.... fair enough but get this.............

They get down there play a few games then never play for months cause better players are keeping them out we need our players to be playing every week thats why i hate it when we use players who are based in the English game just because they are in the English game, it would be better if we used players from Scottish teams who are playing every week, ok there are a few scottish players in the English game that are ok like Fletcher for example i just think we need to start using Scottish based players more.

(there thats my wee rant over im calm again)

Celtic have been linked with out-of-favour Borussia Dortmund midfielder Lars Ricken. The 28-year-old has not figured in Bert van Marwijk's plans this season, having already been told that he is surplus to requirements at the Westfalenstadion.

Despite interest from other clubs, Ricken is determined to see out his contract with the Ruhr Valley club, which runs until the summer of 2006. With The Bhoys becoming the latest side to show interest, it remains to be seen if this month's transfer window will change Ricken's mind and make him consider a move away from Dortmund before the end of the month.

Celitc 2 - 1 Rangers

_40704533_hartsoncelebtwo203b.jpg

Not exactly a classic but a wins a win we were the better team on the day and deserved to win.

I see that AMcL hit out at our players of deliberately trying to win freekicks around the box to take advantage of their aerial expertise, so Alex what u trying to say 'we were cheating' :roll: basicly u are so it will be interesting to see what the SFA do about ur comments nothing probably........... its a strange how he didn't mention count dracula's blatent hand ball.

did anyone see the post match interview with Hartson and Sutton when Hartson got the man of the match award ....lol.......

Sheer comedy.

This morning the Daily Record printed what it claimed were official designs for the new Celtic kits that Nike had "submitted" to Celtic who were now "considering" them.

bawbags.gif

Many of you won't know this, but these are actually photoshopped images which are weeks and in the case of the home kit, months old, done by a Ballymena 15 year old from a forum called the Huddleboard and a poster on another Celtic forum, 'Kerrydale Street' called Neilly67. Mr Keith Jackson of the Daily Record has lifted these off the forums months later, and claimed them to be 'real'. He has even claimed that he phoned Nike and Celtic and both confirmed these kits were the real deal.

Now, after all the Celtic forums have spent all day laughing and mocking this twat and his paper, both the official Celtic site and Nike have had a pop at him, basically saying he's talking absolute shite and the pictures are completely 100% fake, as we all knew they were. I also hear The Sun newspaper have interviewed and taken a picture of the wee guy from Ballymena and he'll be in tomorrow's sports section.

:lol:

Last edited:
i seen the pics of the fake kits this afternoon and i just about lost the plot the away kits ok but the home is:puke: [-( at first i thought they were real but this being the Record i had a look on text and found out that they were fake as Celtic have said the Record had been the victim of a prank.

good story though typical Record.:roll:

i see we are have been linked with Henchoz and Francesco Coco.

Bobo set to turn down contract, but hopefully that's bull just like the Hartson stuff. Although he can do silly things, he's still a decent defender though. Not sure about Henchoz, but possibly Coco might do a job on the left.

As for the kit, I actually quite liked it to be honest if it was real, although granted the full hoop is traditional, although wouldn't have liked the supposed away top.

FD

I'd like to see Laursen given a run in that spot, he's done well the last two games which incidentally have been against the two sides who usually give us a tough match in Hearts and Rangers. I remember he was solid in Seville and I think it may have been that same season he got MOTM in a game at Ibrox. No doubt with Lennon coming back in MON will drop McNamara back to LB and Laursen to the bench tho.

Coco has been nothing but injured for the past 3-odd years, although it's rumoured he's only looking for a loan move till the summer. I don't see what paying him a large wage would accomplish given we've only got domestic action for the rest of this season.

Bobo, well let's be honest he has been very iffy since returning from the African Cup of Nations last year. His problem was always that he overplayed, but that was ironed out of him and before he went to that competition he was superb for us, it seems it's crept back into his game an awful lot (like when he skinned Novo a few times at the weekend, then proceeded to pass to a Rangers player). I would sign him up again as we don't know how much chance there is of Kennedy coming back, or if he does how close to the player he was he's going to be (after 3 ops on one knee, I doubt he will be).

FD the away top there is just the Wolfsburg top, I don't like the home as the green is too light and it just doesn't suit that Nike style at all. Another fake apparently, a CL top:

clkit2006.jpg

The green is too light on the current top also. Wouldn't like that one also, looks horrible. Imagine it was like one of them tight-fits, Hartson and Lennon. :lol:

Yesterday, good professional performance, thought Laursen and Balde where immense. Sutton came into a great game in the 2nd half too. Juninho at last played, but wasn't in it much, although he was stuck out in the wing, think he would've been better behind the front two. McGeady has went right off the boil, for me he's been non-existent in the past 3 games (apart from scoring against Hearts). Think we could do with getting in another centre half for cover, a speedy winger and get another striker and hope we can get rid of that duffer Camara.

FD

Dunno how you can slate McGeady but then say Juninho didn't do much because he was played out of position - McGeady's natural position is central not out wide, he and Petrov have been played out of position all year and still do a turn compared to Juninho. He has been a complete failure IMO, done it on his debut then maybe against Motherwell away, but that aside he's been mince - he looks like someone wants to put him out of his misery too, depressed looking.

Yesterday I thought was a shite game, though we won it which is the most important thing it would appear (we've been playing honking football all season). Bobo and Laursen were terrific I agree, the whole back 4 were solid but for me McManus' distribution was very poor even compared to his fellow defenders. Sutton was a clear MOTM, outstanding. Hartson was more like the Hartson we've seen too often in the past - not interested and static, total shite.

Don't think we need another centre-half just now unless Bobo goes in this window.

That new team shirt is a bloody disgrace. Looks like someone puked up a bottle of absynth. I much preferred the yellow.

I'm not slating McGeady, just saying that he's went off the boil. Basically the guy is only 18, I think it's harder for younger players to come through at places like Celtic as they need to hit the ground running, which is what he has done, however sometimes a little rest here and there will do. Players are getting better at playing him too, as he wants to use skill rather than his head in situations where a simple pass is enough. I agree Juninho hasn't been too impressive, however he's not exactly had a big run in the team and remember after the Motherwell game he's been out since then (apart from a bit part in the CIS Cup game against Rangers where he was nowhere near the worst players that day, actually I thought only him and Hartson where semi-decent).

Put it this way, if we didn't have Juninho and wasn't for injuries to midfielders like Pearson, McGeady wouldn't be playing week in and week out, that's just Martin O'Neill using him to spite everyone (fans/media) about Juninho, in my opinion (and others). Look at what he did with Lubo in his last couple of seasons. For me he cost us in the Champs League and the Cup Final by not playing Lubo because he's a ball-player. However I can't grumble at what he's brought, but that is definetely his weakness (apart from buying goalies :lol: ).

As for Hartson, it was a disappointing display, however both forwards where not in the match until Sutton started off well in the 2nd half before getting moved back. Big Bad John has been worth his weight (a lot of it too) in gold this season.

FD

Ok maybe slating was too strong a word, but I didn't think Juninho played any better than McGeady yesterday, and I don't think the position thing washes as I said because McGeady and Petrov have been in the same situation. I agree about why McGeady has dipped in form lately, people are doubling sometimes tripling up on him all the time but as he's usually our only 'ball player' we often have no other avenue to play it to than him.

Thought Sutton was terrific, even in the first-half the amount of high balls he controlled with his chest allowing him to hold up the play was great. Hartson has been great for us this season but it wasn't so long ago people were slating him for not being up to it in Europe due to a severe lack of mobility, low work rate and constantly fouling/moaning at the ref - yesterday was the first time I've seen one of those performances from him in a while. Every player is due a blip I guess, I just hope now he has his deal he doesn't fall back into old habits.

Latest rumours:

Dwight Yorke (again) - feck off, that would be the end of Maloney and Beattie's careers here IMO.
Phillipe Christanval - not sure, must have been doing something right to get a move to Barca a few years back, tho don't think we need cover there if Bobo signs a deal.

Alright bhoys. The thought of Yorke joining us really is bugging me. He turned us down for Birmingham in the summer and now his agent and god only knows who else is trying to manufacture a move now. I just hope MON is not considering this and the story is a load of crap.

Glad to see others noticing how well big Laursen is doing. I have been really impressed with him since he came back into the side. I hope MON doesn't drop him now that Agathe is fit. While Laursen is doing a job he should keep his place.

Juninho hasn't really got a run in the team, but with the odd exception he hasn't done too well when he has had the chance. I can't see a long term future for him and it would be better for all parties if he went IMO because it would free up some money for new players wages.

McGeady has been a breath of fresh air. He has so much quality and will be a massive star for us. You's are right in that teams are doubling up on him, at least, and over the past few games hasn't been just as productive, but I am glad he has been given a run. It shows other talented youngsters that MON will play them if they are good enough.

On the transfer front, I don't want us to buy junk just for the sake of it, or players for the squad. We need an injection of quality in the 1st team. The squad should be OK because we have so many decent youngsters coming through, I would like at least 1 player to come in to liven things up a bit with us going for the double, and any other transfer moves can wait till the summer when there will be many more players available.

With regards to transfers, I don't actually see the point in MO going for anyone, as he has his favourites and tbh who will he leave out? Unless he gets a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a player, I can't see whoever he brings in getting in the team, it's bad enough him trying to make subs (apart from Juninho), but actually to dislodge a player I think the guy would have to be carried off on a stretcher and then I would think he'd give it 10 mins just to see if it's as bad as first thought.

About Yorke and Christanval, tbh I don't fancy the pair of them, can't speak to much of Christanval as didn't see too much of him, but wasn't overly impressed with his time at Barca and from what I saw of him at Monaco.

FD

So Balde has not yet signed a new deal and Boro are reprted to be about to make a 1mil move for him which i find worrying i know some suppoters dont like him but i think he dose a good job and the defence would be non-existant without his pressence.

If he dose go then i hope its for football reasons and not that the board were being the board again.

Last edited:
Depends how much we pay to keep him here, I'd say £15k a week at the absolute most and if he wants a penny more he can take a run and jump. He has been DIRE since coming back from the ANC, which has been the whole of this season and I believe the 2nd half of last season. Throw in some of his European performances (sent off against Porto in Seville, costing us a place in last 16 against Lyon, non-existent marking against Vila-real in the away leg), and he doesn't deserve more than that if he deserves that at all. I don't like to make scapegoats but we signed him on a free (or nominal fee) and he'd be no great loss IMO, not when we have nothing but domestic football to play this season.

Varga/Laursen/Valgaeren/McManus will do, we can hopefully bring in someone in the summer. Oh wait a minute, that's not going to happen! :lol:

Yep, totally agree with CD, I'd maybe stretch to £20k but that's the very limit. As has been said in Europe he has had some terrible mistakes, he does rash things week in, week out. I do hope we keep him, as he's a good foil for the likes of Varga, but if he goes, he goes, to be honest after Henrik, I wouldn't bat an eye-lid if anyone left now.

FD

About Hartley, don't see the point in bringing in another squad player. He does a lot of work, but why bring in another player who isn't any better than what we've got. Maybe if we can get rid of the likes of Sylla and fernandez to name a couple then possibly but not at the moment. Had to laugh, my brother said 'Yeah I'd take him, but wouldn't pay him overboard, maybe about 10k or 15k a week'. Nearly slapped him. 5k at best and I'm being generous there.

Henchoz might be a decent buy for a short term deal (1 or 2 years).

FD

Pearson is out injured just now and he's the only one who could really play where Petrov plays, Sylla/Fernandez couldn't play there IMO. I am skeptical because like you say, he's not going to be a first-pick, and we already have far too much dead weight (Sylla, Fernandez, Valgaeren, Hedman, feck even Lambert).

Henchoz, no thanks, intergral part of Houllier's long-ball Liverpool team, probably means we'll sign him then.

Henchoz maybe signing in the next day or two. As for this Polish guy, I'm not sure about this at all. Remember listening to that game on the radio and calling them a 'pub team' might be a slur on pub teams. WTF MO is playing at with midfielders I'll never know, trying to give Stan Petrov a rest. Think there are a couple of players that can fill in for now. And where exactly is Petrov playing anyway? I'd say just behind the strikers, so that's Juninho's best position why not just play him and rest Petrov? :-s Why he's risking one of our most crucial players and overlooking this is mystifying. Don't think playing another player i.e. Lambert, Juninho, Maloney will be the difference to beating teams like Motherwell at Parkhead.

Hopefully Harry Redknapp has indeed lost his marbles and does take Camara.

FD

I didn't really want Hartley before we offered anything for him, if they up the offer any more I will be raging. Frank, dunno about this Polish guy, but we're always moaning how MON never signs anyone except EPL/SPL players, so let's give him a chance before writing him off eh? He's here for a trial, so that probably means he has no chance anyway :).

Petrov does a defensive shift as well, Juninho/McGeady wouldn't give you that if you just did a straight swap in that position. Not saying we couldn't pull it off, just I can see why MON doesn't do that as he's known for being a little too cautious in Scotland.

Celtic should bite Southampton's hand off, but they won't...

Coco's not injured anymore, well for this season so far. Hes jsut been a reserve because Inter have too many players. I reckon he would do well in Scotland and he might be able to regain his old form. He was a former international and Milan winger..... good crossing and speed.

Celtic also fail in a bid to get Bellamy on loan. According to the Sun

Anyone know of this guy Tchato who is on trial? I know he is a Cameroon International but is he any good?

Supposedly he didn't impress in a trial, yet they are set to offer him a deal. Was signed by Kaiserlautern a couple of years back for £5m and are now looking at taking £150k before his contract finishes at the end of the season.

Would have loved Bellamy, although not sure if he'd had been an arse (although maybe big bad John would have tobered him up). He'd been far more effective than Camara.

FD

Back
Top Bottom