Celtic Thread

after last night i think we will finish with nil - poi ...i think they were a better team than i had givin them credit for but once again celtic few injurys cost them again another example of why the board need to start spending because if they dont this will happen year in year out. The ref was a disgrace i think his stature went to his head.

Celtic vs Shaktar: I think our performance was woeful at best but there's no denying that they are a better team than we gave them credit for. They deserved the win by playing fairly well and taking advantage of how bad we were. Our injuries are getting worrying. Although it's said Sutton, McNamara, Maloney, Valgaeren, Thompson and Laursen coulda ll be back for the return game at Parkhead. We desperately needed an experienced defender when McNamara went off. Valgaeren or Laursen (Despite not being at their best) Would have been more solid than McManus.

I was very very disappointed that Wallace didn't start. He's not as flashy and not as talented as Juninho or McGeady but he's left footed, and is what we need on the left wing.

I also thought Hartson was abysmal. He caused problems, but what came of that? His two pathetic attempts on goal. Sutton and Camara should be our first choice strikeforce and if this is Hartsons form then maybe we should consider selling him to one of the many supposedly interested Premiership sides in January, would that bring money in for Martin to spend? Probably not...

I don't think Marshall can be blamed. He didn't judge the first goal right but all keepers make mistakes. Oliver Kahn and Peter Schmeichel were called dodgy at one point or another. He is without a doubt or best and he needs to keep his head up.

Our Board: Onto the subject of money. We get £10 million for entering the Champions League right? And the wagebill was reducing by what? £50-60,000 per week during the summer. Letting £1.5million be the only money available to the manager is a disgrace. Bringing in Camara could prove a good decision but let's face it, if we spend £6 illion on him next summer. That's our transfer budget gone and Martin will probably need to sell someone to cover that. Juninho could prove to be another Lubo or he could prove to be another Berkovic. It's really not all that positive. If we win the league again, on top of our £25 million Nike deal and spend as little money next summer then my reaction may be verging on f*ck it. I won't bother going to as many games on my season ticket as I have been./ The boards a joke. You think we could convince Malcolm Glazer to buy us rather than Man U...?

Well, I'll stop rambling now.

Hail Hail!

Yeah mate, I hear ya. They have realistically wiped out the debt now with that Sponsorship, although I've heard they have kept something like £8 million aside for Tax purposes.

Now onto tonight. I think this game is too hard to call for a result. My heart says 1-0 we'll win, my head says similar although also thinks it could be a draw, however at the moment the way we're playing, wouldn't surprise me if we are defeated.

Hopefully Camara will be fit, as his pace is vital up front. I'd also like to see McGeady instead of Wallace introduced as there are more strings to his bow.

The 2nd phase is out for me, it won't be no Newcastle. I think Barca will defeat Milan in a close contest (maybe even 0-0), then Barca should probably beat us, but I just hope Milan beat Shaktar at home and don't balls up, leaving it down to the last game with Barca away to Shaktar and Celtic at home to Milan. Hopefully both teams will have qualified and it'll be down to how the results go. I'm hoping Milan will have already qualified and not need to play all their first teamers giving us a better chance.

FD

FD

fd1972uk said:
. My heart says 1-0 we'll win

FD

follow ur heart it knows best......lol....

anyway i thought is was a bit of a missed opertuinity to hammer them it could have easily been 5-6 - 0.........and im starting to get angry with Camara shooting all the time if he just looks around a few times there was 1 where he got the ball and shot but could have played Hartson through o..i hit the bloody ball Camara dont tap it.

im glad we got the 3 points i dont think we will win in the Nou Camp that leaves us needing to win at home to AC.

We basically have to hope we can take more from our final two games than Shakhtar can, because Shakhtar beat us more than we beat them so we can't finish above them on GD no matter what. Can't see us getting anything in Spain, though having said that it's 3 weeks away and our team might be a bit fitter. The Milan game looks the best bet.

Yeah, I think it'll all come down to the last game and I'm not sure how much Celtic can rely on Barcelona to get them through (and I don't really blame them).

The game the other night was poor, although the win was the most important thing. I think there was a lot of poor performances, especially Camara and McGeady who look like he froze. However I was dissapointed with MO for not bringing on Juninho to play behind the strikers where they where missing one of their best/main players who had been sent off. Instead he sent on another youngster who really has been disappointing as of late and never did anything apart from waste a few crosses. I thought Juninho could've caused major problems for them.

Hartson and Petrov where outstanding in the first half, however in the 2nd they fell out of it and although I thought Varga and Valgaeren would be dodgy they where absolute first class at the back and I can't commend them highly enough.

FD

Didn't think McGeady did too bad, wasted a few passes but that was his first CL game and he'll soon knock that on the head. He did more in that game than Juninho has done in the other 3. Camara wasn't near fit IMO.

Well mate, your the only Celtic fan I've spoken to in the past few days that shares your feeling (apart from the nutter who gave him a 7 in the Daily Ranger). He froze big time. My da said it after 10 mins, and I thought it was just a bad start but he never improved throughout, although he's a great little player in the making and I wasn't too fussed with him playing anyway, but the introduction of Wallace is what puzzled me mostly and he almost got Hartson injured with a woeful cross.

FD

How do my fellow tims feel it will go tonight then?

I think it will be close, Celtic have got some big players out at the moment and that will have an effect. I'm still confident though and hopefully Juninho will play, as this will be a good occassion for him and with Rangers midfield, I think he could do a turn.

Rangers won't play bomb scare Andrews, Knish....whitever will play, that's a certainty.

Not surprised if this game will go to extra-time.

FD

Petrov looks as if he's out, Sutton is definitely out and Bobo is doubtful though I probably wouldn't play him at the moment even if he was fit. Juninho is a cert if Petrov doesn't make it, I think McGeady might be papped onto the bench, Juninho's best game for us was his debut which incidentally was vs Rangers.

I hope big Marvin does play, the guy is a tumshie.

Brothers i wonder how Valgaeren is doing this season, i have the impression that he's doing better than last season (well he hardly played then...).

He has not played too many this season Gerd, Although he has been slightly better than last season (which would not be hard). He is a mere shadow of the he was player in 2000/1. It has been a great decline in which injuries have played their part.

Yeah Gerd, as Ess mentioned, he's had a torrid time with injuries, however he was very solid against Shahktar last week and hopefully he'll do well tonight (as I think he will play). However he isn't very commanding and does have a nasty habit of ball
watching, instead of keeping his eye on the striker.

I'm gonna say 2-1 to Celtic after Extra-Time.

Hartson, then Thompson (Blue Version) and then Thommo-hawk (the Green Version).

FD

Rangers 1 - 1 Celtic

well rangers have dominated the game they seem a lot more hungry for the win celtic just dont seem to want to win this game IMO.

anyway back to the game EXT.

Rangers 2 - 1 Celtic (aet)

well done to Rangers they deserved to win as i said before they were more hungry for the win......................Celtic just looked if they had ran out of ideas.

it just shows how bad Rangers wanted to win the paid the fans to hold onto the ball....
prso should quit footi and go the the olympics with the swimming team.

and lol@ alex rae noisein up the cetic fans i thought he was goni get a kickin ....but seriously he should get fined for that yes u could say the fans taunted him but players need to deal with that same for Hartson who booted the ball at the gers fans.

Last edited:
biggertam said:
it just shows how bad Rangers wanted to win the paid the fans to hold onto the ball....
:lmao: How much were they paid?

biggertam said:
prso should quit footi and go the the olympics with the swimming team.
Why? Surely you meant the diving team? But then again... why? The dive was awful, everyone knew it and he got deservedly booked.

Yep, Rangers deserved it and my bad feeling about the game beforehand proved to be the 'right' one.

MON shouldn't have been playing players who weren't fit, example Petrov who was anonymous, and I'm still not sure if Camara is fully recovered from his ankle knock but that doesn't make a difference to his volleying technique which is non-existent in the first place. Only pass marks on our side were Lennon and Hartson, maybe the 2 CBs also. Thompson was atrocious, at fault for both goals (gave the ball away stupidly for the 1st and decided to leave Arveladze and mark Novo who was already marked by 2 Celtic players), Juninho tried but unless he gets support he's useless, Celtic sat far too deep. Beattie when he came on looked very dangerous and I thought on the slow-mo he'd broken his leg above his ankle, looked a sore one. McGeady did alright too when brought on, looked our most creative player which is shocking considering the length of time he was on, pulled off the same trick as against Aberdeen, but put a poor cross in at the end unfortunately.

Think MON has to accept a large portion of the blame, tactically he has been making a bit of an arse of it lately and again last night he played too many players out of position (why he persists with Joos at LB I do not know, again he got torn to shreds down that side). He complains about a lack of cash but that doesn't excuse him not using Pearson or McGeady on the left and slotting Jackie Mac in at LB, instead he'd rather play someone who has repeatedly been shagged in that position.

Only 'positives' we can take are it's better to lose this one that the SPL tie, and that Rangers won't play any better than that while we almost certainly can't play much worse. I thought while Rangers had most possession they did fuck all with it until Thommo did that pass.

Oh aye, Prso is a fckin joker.

Jeez, I'm gonna agree with a Celtic analysis with CD here. :lol: Although I wasn't overly impressed with Lennon. Agree with everything else, only MO couldn't see Thommo was out in his feet way before he gave the goal away, but as I had called it, he'd sacrifice Juninho for Camara. He just refuses to take players off.

Valgaeren was woeful at LB, and what the point of Jackie playing in DM I'll never know, I don't think he touched the ball 3 times all-night.

Why in a cup tie that has to be played to a finish, he played so defensively and with 2 DM's I'll never know. :roll: I'll never forget his classic with Lubo in the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers, when they scored a last gasp winner. Everyone could see Celtic where never going to score and he came out at the end about Lubo, saying "I was going to keep him for extra-time!'............gee whizz!

Although I actually feel more confident of the SPL game, as the Celtic players will surely be embarrased about that performance.

FD

Wouldn't mind Celtic trying to get that Wilhelmson bloke from Anderlecht. I remember him against Celtic and over in Belgium he was very good and the more games I saw him play for Anderlecht and Sweden, he impressed everytime. Not sure if Celtic would part with £2m+ for him, but would be a great player as he's only about 25 or something.

http://users.pandora.be/Muska/Chippen.avi

FD

Well FD, i justed came over here with the Wilhelmsson rumour on my mind...I read in the paper today that Wilhelmsson would want to go to Celtic (he adores the club)...
I think that could be a very good buy for you lot...imho he is together with Kompany the only Anderlecht player who did well in the CL this year...
He is very quick, very technical and a crowd pleaser (which some people see as his only negative point...).
I'm not an Anderlecht fan but i would be disappointed if he would leave the Belgian competition (can't say i don't understand him though...).
If Wilhelmsson plays for Celtic i will support Celtic morally...

Always a rumour or two about at the start of last summer about us going for this guy, he had a solid Euro 2004 as well I think. Only negative side is it's Wilhelmsson making the noises, and not Celtic, so it's nothing more than the wish of a player or a ploy to get other clubs interested. Either way when you factor in the guy isn't out of contract this season and it will take a couple of million at least to get him away, I can't see our board sanctioning this.

Hugh Keevens on the radio this morning saying we are linked with Aruna Dindane also of Anderlecht and a Motherwell want a swap involving Hammell and douglas.

Wouldn't mind those two tbh and to get Douglas off our wage bill would be good, although can't see it happening due to Douglas's wage and think if he moves he'll want to try England.

FD

well what is there to say about the latest old firm ......................rangers 2-0 celtic

the ref was an absolute disgrace thats not an excusse that was why wee lost but he was ............sutton deserved his red but the over reaction to get thompson sent off was very sad...........there were others as well novo ,lennon just but another 2.............i hope the sfa look into the other parts of the match the the ref missed if players can be let off by video replay the they should be punished by it as well.

as for AMcL saying they were mountins out of mole hills PMSL get real alex which game were u at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im away to calm down now.................

Back
Top Bottom