Celtic Thread

Spanish fan

Celtic 1 - Barcelona 3

Celtic never really had the oportunity to win Barça.... The difference between Celtic and Barça is like the night and the day.
Celtic is the night........ dark and fooly plays.
Barcelona is like a sunny day... brilliant plays.

Though I have to recognice that I was very impressive when all the Celtic´s fans started to sang "You'll never walk alone"...

Celtic fans --> 10
Celtic team --> 3

Spain is different!!!!.

Jackie was lucky to stay on the pitch, and Giuly did give him a roasting, but the shot that deflected off him was actually when he done his leg in. I'm not sure at which point he did that, might have been part of the reason he couldn't get his whole body in the way. I might be wrong but I'm positive it's another Celtic player beside Jackie on that goal, not a Barca player. Either way, I still say Thommo should have tracked Belletti and that one of Celtic's midfield should have been on Giuly when he's 16 yards out.

On their opener the blame lies with Agathe for a criminal pass. Also thought Bobo should have tracked Deco's run, Varga has Ronaldinho covered and Bobo is marking space instead of a player. He might have been covering in case Ronaldinho skinned Varga, but in the end that proved to be the wrong choice as Deco had plenty of time to score. Watching the replay from behind the goal McNamara had been making sure Giuly hadn't joined the attack, and was caught too far upfield when Agathe gave it away anyway. Point is there was only 2 Barca players attacking our back 4, Deco and Ronaldinho. Varga did the right thing, closed the ball, Bobo marked space, caught in two minds whether to give Varga cover or go with Deco, in the end he did neither.

Etoo did nothing for me, not once did he get by Agathe, the only time he did anything was picking up a ricochet off a Bobo tackle in the first half, which Marshall saved eventually from a 'Gio' (the new fragrance from Calvin Klein) shot. Anyway, like you say we all have our opinions, but one thing we agree on was we shot ourselves in the foot over the goals rather than Barca just playing stunning football for them.

I only caught the last half hour of your game but you looked to be holding your own, I thought. Their second goal owed a little to bad fortune and tired legs, and the third was just a bad, bad goal to concede, but I didn't think you were out of it until right at the end.

Obviously, I didn't see the first half but Barcelona at the back, other than Puyol, looked all over the place. I think you still might get something from your trip to Spain.

Deco's finish was class! what a shot. However, I think Celtic were a tad unlucky.

Excellent work by Agathe and Camara to double team on Eto'o and then cross the ball to Sutton to finish, however, you'd only think it would have been a different game if Petrov's dipping shot went in.

Brilliant save by the young Marshall on the penalty tho'.

Did Giuly's shot come off the defenders chest to deflect in? It looked like it on ITV, but it was 12.15am so i couldn't tell.

Thompson's header was just a no look header with the King of Kings just waiting to pounce. Credit due, i think Henke showed great respect to parkhead by not jumpin' around and swingin' his shirt ;) Nice to see the after match comments by him, shows the man must have found it hard to leave Celtic - he was very sincere.

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
Credit due, i think Henke showed great respect to parkhead by not jumpin' around and swingin' his shirt ;) Nice to see the after match comments by him, shows the man must have found it hard to leave Celtic - he was very sincere.

lol it sounded like the celtic fans booed him when he scored, also in his interview he said that they we're singing "bobo's gonna get ya"

Fair play to him though, a true gent, you just knew he was gonna score though.

The majority of fans did not boo him, when he came on they sung 'A Grand Old Team' to show their backing for the side rather than Larsson. There were a few boos, although they might have been from people trying to drown out anyone cheering Larsson, there are always some arseholes in every support.

The best example of the crowd was when the PA guy completely f**ked up, interrupting YNWA to start playing the CL tune. The crowd booed for about 2-3 seconds, then continued singing YNWA over the top of the CL tune, and completely drowned it out - magic :).

A crackin picture from the game, actually at the moment I just referred to:

I like it with the CL music actually, usually the sounds of the fans when they're waving that big flagball is awesome.

And with regards to the boos when he came on, that was actually to do with Marquez who got Hartson booked with a 9.9 25 roll and scream. Van Bronckhurst also done a super dive to get Juninho booked, even though he didn't even touch him.

FD

Hibs played well today, thought MON was a bit daft though by playing Sutton (striker) in midfield and Petrov (central mid) on the right wing.

yip they did .....lets just hope they keep it up. as for MON playing sutton and petrov out of position (i think he is trying players in other postions so he has more options cause he knows he wont be getting any money for more players) IMO.

Sounded like a good game. What are your opinions on Celtics apparently 'offside' goal?

From what i've heard he was offside but the hibs player played the ball last so it should count. Problem is that the linesman had his flag up and the defense stopped!

Nothing to talk about, your always told to play to the whistle. It wasn't offside anyway.

In terms of the game, Celtic where dodgy, why he took off Juninho, I'll never know, Petrov, Thompson and Lennon where crap and I almost choked when Burley and co. gave it 'The team looks to have a better shape to it'. WTF? They where even worse and devoid of any invention. MO always sacrifices the ball player all the time.

FD

I only saw little bits of the first half, but although Juninho set up both goals he didn't look too involved from what I saw of the game. That's just MON's style FD, it shouldn't surprise you after all this time, he prefers players who can defend a bit as well rather than someone who has a ton of ability and flair but when you lose the ball isn't much use.

Juninho is still settling in, but I think even more than that MON is struggling to find a system to play him in. I still hate it when he plays Sutton out of position, as that means Petrov also plays out of position. I'd rather have Sutton up front with Hartson and Camara on the wing, Petrov, Lennon, Thompson making up the midfield. For CL games I'd drop Hartson in an instant, his movement is non-existent, and play Juninho off Sutton. Camara is of course stuck on the right wing, so maybe we could play a 3 in midfield with Juninho, Camara and Sutton up front. I think he tried to do that vs Barca and Rangers (with Hartson instead of Sutton), but the problem is he has Thompson and Petrov play so deep in midfield. At times Barcelona had only their 2 CB's and their keeper in their own half vs us, wish MON would take more risks at times.

Celtic have announced that Nike will be our new kit suppliers!!

5 year deal, £5Million per season before bonuses!!

So anyone who has paid £30 for the new top have been ripped off as it wi;; change in June 2005!

It was known the current deal with Umbro ran out after this year, and when they released a new top after only 1 year of the previous home kit you knew they weren't favorites to get the new one. Personally I don't like the current home top anyway, and I didn't buy it.

Rumour is that Carling's deal is up not at the end of this season, but at the end of next season (after Nike's first season making our kit), and that we might have yet another load of kits if we have a new sponsor.

It'll be the first time in my life I'll have seen a Celtic kit made by anyone but Umbro. In fact, has anyone else ever made a Celtic kit since the days of unsponsored hoops? Anyway, I'm glad of the change, be nice to see a fresh outlook on our kits.

Cool, Nike have some nice tops too.

£5 million per season? \\:D/ So that'll be £25 million added, what are the board going to say that's for now.

FD

ClassicD said:
It'll be the first time in my life I'll have seen a Celtic kit made by anyone but Umbro. In fact, has anyone else ever made a Celtic kit since the days of unsponsored hoops? Anyway, I'm glad of the change, be nice to see a fresh outlook on our kits.

It's been a long time, they even made the unsponsored ones.

CIS Insurance Cup - Third Round
Code:
[b]CELTIC         8-1 FALKIRK[/b]         Res 
Sylla 2            Thomson 66 
Wallace 6, 57, 85 
Balde 38 
Lambert 45 
McManus 48 
McGeady 90

Poor Falkirk. Poor poor Falkirk. That's quite an embarrassment.

BNow I'm pished cos I've been at the pub watching the game, but even I thought the scoreline wasn't deserved. 3-1 was quite harsh considering that AC Milan were awful during the second half and I could see a Celtic goal coming for ages.

I still cheered when AC scored though. ;)

Surprised that Pirlo wasn't substituted before his goal, because he was utter mung.

Well, first half, we didn't play well. We made too many nervous mistakes, but Milan never really carved out that many chances. Second half, we played them off the pitch, and deserved a draw. Unfortunately they have players like Crespo, Rui Costa and Inzaghi on the bench and we have Sylla. That's not a slight against Sylla, it's not his fault he's not good enough, it's just a comparison, and one worth making.

Pretty gutted, because we didn't deserve to lose this match.

Thought the referee had a terrible game, he didn't make any decisions which cost either team badly but nevertheless his decision making was very poor. For example, Lennon and Pirlo both go for a loose ball with the sole of their foot, exactly the same, and because Lennon got to the ball first Milan are awarded a free-kick.. Was also a baffling decision when Hartson won a flick on and the ref gave Nesta a foul, in general Milan got a lot of very cheap fouls all night.

However the main point to take from all this (no pun intended), is that we do not have a strong enough team for the Champions' League. I thought Varga was immense, and although Bobo looked shaky with the ball at his feet, he defended really well too. Joos didn't have that bad a match either. But eventually the goal came from Sylla's lack of concentration, and that says it all.

Every fucking year, we say the same thing - unless they give MON money to strengthen, we won't make it, and every year we fail to build on the team.

Back
Top Bottom