Celtic Thread

definately you guys definately got a raw deal where it seems Arsenal got the whooping group so now they can be "immortal" in europe i still think you boys can pull through AC Milan are definately beatable as are shakhtar however with the players Barca bought this summer i think anyone would have a hard time

Deary me, 7 OF wins on the trot. Rangers while better than last year did what the smaller SPL clubs try to do at Celtic Park, sit 10 men behind the ball and leave one man up front. They came 'not to lose', and they got what they deserved - nothing. Juninho looks like he will be a good signing, extremely direct and probably would have scored if it hadn't been for some mis-communication between him and Henri Camara.

What a goal by Thommo! :shock: He's making a habit of scoring against Rangers :mrgreen:. Alex Rae is a diddy, after Juninho took the piss out of a few of them on a darting run he grabbed him by the face then tried to sneak away. Neil Lennon put him on his arse in the first few minutes in a 50/50 challenge, Rae was left on his knees like an old man trying to recover :lol:.

Forget ThomasGOAL, here's ThommoGOL :mrgreen: !

So easy Neil :twisted: .

lennon_cigar_1.jpg

lennon_cigar_2.jpg

:D what a goal by thomo.....and as for :x :twisted: RAE :x :twisted: he got away with too much he should have been booked a 2nd time for kicking the ball away....anyway good win for us.

Good victory for the Bhoys on Sunday.

About the CL draw, personally I'm disappointed as I was hoping we could get through to the knock-out phase, but it's going to be very difficult indeed.

Saviola has joined Monaco. See what develops today.

FD

No he's not, when will you boys learn to stop believing fat Derek Johnstone and his exclusives!!??

Official line:

'There has been speculation throughout the day that Celtic have signed Blackburn Rovers striker Dwight Yorke on a three-year contract but this is not the case.
The club would, however, like to confirm that they have been given permission to speak to the player with a view to taking over the remainder of his contract.'

Looks like we won't be getting Yorke.......

Birmingham City look set to scupper Celtic's move for Dwight Yorke...............

Rover boss Souness told Sky Sports: ''Celtic did agree a fee but, at the last minute, Birmingham came along and offerd him more. it's a straight choice, but he fancies Birmingham.

i was not to too keen on getting Yorke but this is :oops: we cant compete for a player against what is (no offence to Birmingham fans) a smaller club.

Sky Sports News says that Yorke has the option to sign for either Celtic or Birmingham - i just hope that he signs for the Brummies. He is done and is nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago.

If we are looking to make impressions upon Euro football this year then Yorke is NOT the man. He would be ineffectual up here and by living in close proximity to his mate Russell Latapy then the only benefactors from the move would be the pubs and clubs of Glasgow !!

As for the news that we have offered Marcel Desailly a contract. Then that is plausible but not the move i would have hoped for.

M O'N should go back to Everton in January and offer a better deal for Gary Naysmith. Failing that, then look at Alan Mayburry at Hearts - he would be a useful signing. Not a glitzy one, but a steady one who would give 100%, fight for his place and give us value for £. I have always rated him since he came up here and settled in.

Yorke wasn't a move I was excited about so I'm not bothered that he's went to Birmingham, I thought it was a bit of an iffy move in the first place. It's no surprise he's chosen the Premiership option at the end of the day, in favour of 6 CL games which he has no guarantee of starting anyway, nevermind if we progress or not.

Desailly? No thanks.

Maybury is a die-hard Rangers fan, and to boot he's not good enough (plus it was either him or Webster that intentionally did Agathe remember?). Naysmith I would consider, but I wouldn't pay much for him at all, he's not done anything down south. I'd rather have Arca in that position.

Glad we never signed Yorke, for £25k a week, that's absurd. Wasn't too impressed with any of the linked players with the exception of maybe Arca who has looked not too bad. Desailly might be an option, at least he'll give a bit more cover at Centre-Half, although I ain't fussed either way.

CD - BTW, it was Webster that done Agathe. :x

FD

Looking forward to this game against Barca.

Hope Ronaldinho isn't fit, but think he was left out at the weekend to ensure he would play. I wasn't overly impressed with them at the weekend, but I'm sure they're going to give us one hell of a game. I would take a draw, but we might be able to get a win.

FD

Both should be playing tonight, although it was mentioned that Larsson might be left out - supposedly Johann Cryuff had hinted at it, to do with how his head might be in the game. Ronaldinho is definetely fit, that's why he wasn't risked against Seville. Edmilson is out I think though.

FD

Heard Ronaldinho is having a fitness test today Frank, he's not played a competitive game this season so he can't be that fit. Not that it'll make him any less dangerous if he plays of course.

Think if we have any aspirations of making it out of this group we have to win, because I can't see us getting anything in Barcelona or Milan, probably at most a draw at Shakhtar as well going by our CL away record.

Glavisted said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Any news on Ronaldinho or Henrik playing??
Henrik Larsson vs. Celtic, that's feeling strange. :mrgreen:

yeah MON made some funny comments about the Celtic fans maybe applauding the guy too much if he plays tonite, not got the exact quote but it was all tongue in cheeck.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Glavisted said:
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
Any news on Ronaldinho or Henrik playing??
Henrik Larsson vs. Celtic, that's feeling strange. :mrgreen:

yeah MON made some funny comments about the Celtic fans maybe applauding the guy too much if he plays tonite, not got the exact quote but it was all tongue in cheeck.

he some of what MON said.................... ''it will be a difficult gane for him because its seven years of his life and hes only been away four months''

''Larsson was an absolute superstar here and that sholud be recognised. When the names are read out he will get a excellent reception and even during the game our fans may marvel at his play again.''

''But if Henrik is going to be applauded every time he passes the ball we'll all be in trouble. Remember this is not a man who'll go clear and deliberately miss because its Celtic.''

''The minute the whistle blows he is an opposition player and he will realise that.''

no sutton :( larsson starts on the bench.

Men against Bhoys for Barca:

Henrik Larsson returned to haunt Celtic as he put the seal on Barcelona's 3-1 victory at Parkhead in their opening UEFA Champions League group fixture.

Ouch! I bet that hurt tonight.

MadManc said:
fd1972uk said:
I hope big Bobo does him in the first minute, he ain't a Hoops man now.

FD

lol your all heart...

You had the big day yet FD??

Not yet mate, next May. ;)

The goals we gave away where horrific. Not one goal did Barca have to work for. Jackie McNamara done his leg, however that summed up his day, he was hopeless and what he was doing for the 1st and 2nd goals where bizarre to say the least. We got our Arse rode in the first half, however the 2nd half we did put a bit of pressure on them and they started getting a bit ragged. As for Henrik's goal, another giveaway, however I've watched him score those type of goals for 7 years. Thought the ref was abysmal too, although that never made a huge impact on the game tbh.

If we get beaten at the San Siro then I think that's it.

It's a very tough group, and with the UEFA group riggings, it seems that way throughout the whole competition making sure everyone is catered for.

FD

Pretty obvious who the better team was, but what is really frustrating is every Barcelona goal was caused by slack Celtic play. I can accept it when we've just been outclassed, but it's hard to take when we've caused it ourselves.

Agathe for the first goal, and McNamara and Balde for not picking up Giuly. Second goal Thompson just completely went to sleep and let Beletti go, unfortunate deflection or Marshall had an easy save, wouldn't 'blame' McNamara there, far more Thompson. Third goal, Thommo again, you can actually see Henrik make his intercepting run extremely early, he knew exactly what he was going to do. But what annoyed me more about that goal was either Thompson or Varga could have dealt with it earlier, Thompson saw Varga was coming to clear it and shat out of the way, but at the same time got in Varga's way who should have still booted it anyway.

Also thought perhaps MON's tactics were a bit off, especially in the first-half. With Juninho coming in he's adjusting to new elements he doesn't usually have to consider, but he did the same thing in the second-half of the Rangers match - he had Thompson and Petrov far, far too deep. I know they are good and quick on the break but you have to take a risk, you play to your strengths and Thompson and Petrov are better at attacking.

Have to say I though Camara did well up front.

Barcelona are great attacking but I still think a team with a bit of class will take a few off them, they have no one to protect their back 4, and their full-backs push on so far they have like 2 players back at times. There was a small period last night where Barcelona were hanging on just for a point, after Sutton scored then Petrov had a terrific effort, before Beletti nearly scored an OG. With a little more sustained pressure they would have shipped more goals of that I'm convinced, it was panic-stations with Beletti.

btw apart from 1 or 2 nice little passes, Ronaldinho was anonymous I thought. And 'Guj_Yeknom', out of our depth is exactly right to describe that match. Although I'm sure Martimo will show your mob the same thing tomorrow.

I thought McNamara was poor for the 2nd goal, for 1. Running in so deep instead of letting the player go in and he would be off-side and 2. He should be throwing his whole body in front of the ball, instead of what he did. He was very much responsible for that goal alone for me. Pass marks I would give would be for Camara, Sutton, Marshall and probably big Bobo. Ronaldinho was snuffed again I though last night.

Don't agree with the they'll get found out against better opposition, this is probably the best bunch of attacking players in World Football in one team. They won't be far away.

FD

The second goal came from a shot from about 16 yards out, who do you mean he should have played offside? It was Thompson who just went to sleep to allow Belletti to get down the wing and pick out Giuly with plenty of time. It was just a shot that bounced off him the wrong way, if he'd been an inch further left or right it probably wouldn't have went in, I think it's just one of those things. I think it's harsh to blame someone if all they've done is deflect a shot which they've tried to block, but to say he alone is at fault for it is just baffling. What about Thompson not covering Belletti? Who was meant to be covering Giuly? Aren't Petrov and Lennon meant to be covering their defense?

They are great attacking, but in the one small period we got up the pitch and got at them, they looked far from convincing. Also in the first half if our players had looked across the line we could have had three or four 1 on 1 chances with the keeper instead of being caught offside like we were, they won't be so lucky with that every time. There's no way they're going to somewhere like Milan and having that much of the ball, and attacking for that much of the game. They'll score goals but they'll ship a few as well, for me Rijkaard would have been better spending his £20-odd mill from Etoo on a defensive midfielder. Etoo was pish on Sunday and he was pish again last night.

We all have our opinions, as Eto'o for me was brilliant for them, him and Giuly where ripping us apart during the game. The goalie did the same thing all the time and eventually MO clicked on to drag someone over. The goalie's kick-out's where launched to him all the time, as he stayed out on the left wing.

Jackie had his arse felt by Giuly all night long, he contributed to the 1st goal, not making any effort to block the ball (surely he could've slid and why did he kinda stop? - see the stutter run.), roasted continually up the wing, he left one for at the corner of the box, somehow expecting the goalie to know what he was doing and the Barca player (Giuly or Belletti) flew past him and almost latched onto it. The penalty (although outside the box), he should've brought him down well out there, what he was playing at I'll never know. And for the goal he followed in someone who would have clearly interefered with the shot which let's be honest wasn't that great. I've watched players put their full bodies in front of the ball, but he was too busy looking at the player next to him and practically hit it with his arm.

FD

Back
Top Bottom