Celtic Thread

I don't know which one it was. I only flicked over and seen it on. Never watched it all because it's obvious it's not gonna be a Rangers win on Celtic TV.

Half-time and it's 1-1. The bad news for Celtic is that Alan Thompson was stretchered off after just 3 minutes, in agony after a high tackle by Chris Eagles.

Petrov fell in the box (what's new?) and Sutton hit the penalty home...
1-0 - Sutton (9')

Man Utd equalised through an Alan Smith header from Eagles corner.
1-1 - Smith (33')

Full Time
Celtic 2-1 Manchester United

I don't know what Celtic can take from this game other than the fact that the win will boost confidence. Manchester United fielded a squad of which half I had never heard of before. In the end Man Utd got what they deserved. Nothing. They lacked creativity and each attack got near the box then went sideways and resulted in sweet f.a.
Beattie's goal was well taken after a lucky break of the ball.

And now a funny video which resulted in Hartson being booked...

Boing

Still no news of regarding Alan Thompson's injury.
Goodnight.

foxtrot_yankee said:
Full Time
Celtic 2-1 Manchester United

I don't know what Celtic can take from this game other than the fact that the win will boost confidence. Manchester United fielded a squad of which half I had never heard of before. In the end Man Utd got what they deserved. Nothing. They lacked creativity and each attack got near the box then went sideways and resulted in sweet f.a.
Beattie's goal was well taken after a lucky break of the ball.

And now a funny video which resulted in Hartson being booked...

Boing

Still no news of regarding Alan Thompson's injury.
Goodnight.

I'd have to agree.

Have you got Celtic TV Foxy? Or did you souce the goals from somewhere else.

That could be the new SPL TV channel, as at the weekend, there was a Celtic vs Livingston game on and that was being followed by a Aberdeen vs Rangers game.

Decent score, although I like how Foxy is papering it up by saying the Man Utd team was full of nobodies, from what I see we started with a relatively first team, with the exception of a few players and seemed to totally have a reserve team in the 2nd half.

Camara signing.............oh dear! :roll:

FD

FD: I have to say i'm not exactly dancing in the streets at the prospect of signing Camara but what exactly do you have against this guy??

Have you really seen enough of him in action?

Heard also today that Amoruso will supposedly be listed as a trialist for the Newcastle game next Wed!

Well I'll tell you something, I've saw the same or more of him than MO has. I don't believe for one minute Celtic had scouts on him. Colin Cameron summed him up in a nutshell, he can beat 3 players and then sclaff the ball 50 feet over the bar. I can only remember for being brutal in front of goal. I think he scored about 5 or 6 goals, we're trying to replace a guy who scored over 30 goals a season. My favourite English team (as I've already mentioned before) is Wolves and I watched them whenever they where on. I never rated him then and I don't rate him now. I'll be happy as anyone if he proves me wrong, but he won't do it. And to justify paying in the region of between £2.5m-£3m for a one year deal is absurd and then if he's a success Celtic will pay at least another double that, eh, don't think so.

FD

First up thanks for the help Foxy, mate. :D ;)

Good job on posting the stuff too.

I read that Keane played a dodgy pass-back. :eh: Beattie did well though. Has big Sutty missed a PK yet?

And Hartson. :mrgreen: Class.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Have you got Celtic TV Foxy? Or did you souce the goals from somewhere else.

That could be the new SPL TV channel, as at the weekend, there was a Celtic vs Livingston game on and that was being followed by a Aberdeen vs Rangers game.

I have Celtic TV. It came free with Rangers TV :lol:
It's not the new SPL Channel though. That's on channel 429 - Sky Digital.

fd1972uk said:
Decent score, although I like how Foxy is papering it up by saying the Man Utd team was full of nobodies, from what I see we started with a relatively first team, with the exception of a few players and seemed to totally have a reserve team in the 2nd half.

The Man Utd team was full of reserves. And Keane was non-existant for the entire match.

manutd.jpg

So when Celtic field reserves against Liverpool it's all doom and gloom but when they beat Man Utd who do the same thing it's not the same?

Howard
G. Neville
P. Neville
O'Shea
Keane
Smith

are not reserves. The only 2 players I've not heard of in that team are Eagles and Spector :roll:.

And before any Man Utd fan jumps all over this thread, yes I know it was a weakened Man Utd team and I'm not shouting from the rooftops about the win.

As for the game, Petrov dived for the penalty, so far I've watched up till HT. Eagles' challenge on Thompson was pretty crude, he went over the top of the ball with studs showing. McGeady looks a little overwhelmed from what I've seen so far although he had a nice shot which Man Utd cleared off the line.

Wolves had to put a lot of effort into turning Camara into the type of player we saw at the end of the season. I hope he does well, unlike some Wolves fans I haven't just dismissed him as someone who will never play for Wolves again.

Bit of a Catch 22 situation from our point of view. If he does shit,we don't really want him back, if he does well we'll lose him.

Ah well, anybody wanna buy a Senegal flag?

I like the look of McGrady, he looks a decent prospect, he came to us, not sure why we didnt get him, apart from that considering it was the first team the rest looked, well nowt special although dude who scored took his goal well from a tight angle.

Heard McGeadie played well, he could do well if he knuckles down. Btw Vann, I keep seeing you mention how we had a full team, there was maybe about 2 or 3 first team difference between both teams and come the 2nd half we where doing to about 5 first teamers.

I'm not looking into it much anyway as no doubt you won't be either.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Heard McGeadie played well, he could do well if he knuckles down. Btw Vann, I keep seeing you mention how we had a full team, there was maybe about 2 or 3 first team difference between both teams and come the 2nd half we where doing to about 5 first teamers.

I'm not looking into it much anyway as no doubt you won't be either.

FD

there was alot more than 2-3 players difference, Silvestre, Rio, Ruud, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes.

but to be fair its neither here or there to me, we spanked you's last year and lost the league, it was just good for me to see how the fringe players are looking.

Tell me about this Craig Beattie kid. He has a motor on him, and that goal was pretty sweet.

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
there was alot more than 2-3 players difference, Silvestre, Rio, Ruud, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes.

but to be fair its neither here or there to me, we spanked you's last year and lost the league, it was just good for me to see how the fringe players are looking.

Yeah that's who was missing from your team, we didn't have 11 first team starts. You had 5 first teamers from last year and we had 8, that's 3 from which school I came from.

Anyway, as you said nothing to get worried about on both sides.

Ghazi - Beattie is a young player who runs his guys out, but lacks ability. Can't say I've been too impressed from what I've saw of him, but he's still young. Spurs tried to sign him, but he signing a new contract, think that was before last season. Although I'd rather we give him a chance than spending £3m on a player for 1 year, must be quite hard to take for some of the youngsters.

About Camara, set to sign today, don't see the logic, if he's a squib (which I think he will be) then it's £3m down the pan, if he's great then Celtic have to pay something like another £5m for his services. People where laughing at the prospect of landing someone like Keane, you might have a chance at £7m. I know who I'd rather have. And Chelsea bought Kezman for £5m. I don't see the logic in this move, come the start of next season he won't be a Celtic player no matter what happens.

FD

Yeah its a steep price for someone you wont end up owning.

There seem to be a fair few strikers who you could have got for a similar price for longer, I'm sure someone like Ogbeche or Utaka would have cost less than 3 million. What about someone like Sergi Rebrov, Savo Milosevic or Marek Heinz, you would probably have been able to get all for less and for a longer amount of time.

Fd i think the man Celtic want as a replacement for Henke is playing in Belgium.
He is a young guy (20) who is playing for Racing Genk. His name is Kevin Vandenbergh. He is the son of the legendary (well at least in Belgium) Erwin Vanbdenbergh who won the European golden boot at least once and who scored the only win in "our" win against Argentine in the opening match of the WC 1982.
Kevin Vandenbergh was included in World Soccer's list of 50 hottest prospects (under 20) in 2003...He has a nose for goals and is techincally very skilled. For god knows what reason last season he usually was a sub for Genk and he scored always every time he was on the pitch (so he should not be too expensive)...Celtic should buy him imho.

Gerd - I'll send an e-mail to Martin O'Neill now. :mrgreen:

Ed - Yeah your right, I would have preferred Heinz or even Rebrov, when I saw him join West Ham I thought he could've done a turn for us. Although the African guys you mention, I would'nt like them. I have two transfer no-no's. 1. Don't buy a Brazilian defender, you could count them on one hand of any who have been decent in the last 10 years. 2. See no.1 - Way too erratic for me, usually woeful in front of goal.

FD

Finished 1-0, from what I heard the team had the best of the match and missed 3 very good chances including 2 sitters from Bobo and Pearson. Also heard that BBJ had another, shall we say 'static' performance up front - sorry but this guy has not kicked his own arse all tour, I know he had an lengthy lay-off from injury but he's not putting in the effort. Apparently Roma had a bout of the 'sniper in the stands' disease as well.

Roma (4-4-1-1): Zotti; Curfe, Mexes, Dellas, Panucci; D'Agostino (Lanzaro 64), De Martino, Dacourt, Candela; Totti; Delvecchio (Montella 64)

McGeadie I've noticed has got a couple of MOM awards from the site, although not sure how reliable that is. Did sound that we played not too bad against them. Apart from the Chelsea game, never watched any of the games after that, couldn't be arsed.

FD

You guys played pretty well and shoulda won. Totti;s header was perfectly placed over the keepers head and the cross was textbook stuff.

Balde scrapped a perfect opportunity, but the team showed alot of desire and some good passing sequences.

So where is this beattie kid from? Nationality, and previous team?

Name: Craig Beattie
Squad No: 37
Position: Striker
Nationality: Scottish
D.O.B: 16 January 1984
Contract Expires: 06/2006

not sure about any of the other clubs he's been at i think he's been in at Celtic since he was a wee boy not sure though .....anyone else know?..

Back
Top Bottom