Celtic Thread

Yeah I couldn't see us signing him tbh. We need creativity in the middle of the park and I think Djalminha would be a great buy for a season or two, he's 34 but got bags of ability. Free transfer too.

MO really does piss me off at this time of the year, he's never in a rush and we also seem to fail to get our players. If Basturk was wanting too much money then fair enough, but others we will lose because MO is wanting to write about Euro 2004 in papers.

Ian Harte will sign, he's shite so I'm sure we'll get him and the name of Darren Huckerby won't go away for me..........as Kylie once said 'Can't get you out of my head'. I just hope he ain't putting all his eggs into one basket and hoping Amoroso delivers on the tour, known our luck he'll play great and then join another team. MO has to get this trialist shit out his head too.

FD

Frustrating time, although if Basturk wasn't willing to accept Henrik's old wage as I've heard, then he must have a screw loose or Hertha do for paying more.

MON always works this way with transfers, although remember last summer was entirely the board's fault. Also have to remember that a lot of potential targets are with their national teams just now and it's not going to be possible to talk with them properly until they finish up.

I can understand the feeling you have, I have it as well but I'm willing to give MON the benefit of the doubt until the window closes at the start of next season. There's a reminder, although you can do pre-contracts, the window hasn't even re-opened so there's plenty of time left ;).

It does make you think tho!!

I mean Rangers had a shit season, probably one of thier worst and they have 2 very decent signings in the bag already!!

We have fork all!

Could be a long summer............................!

ainslm said:
It does make you think tho!!

I mean Rangers had a shit season, probably one of thier worst and they have 2 very decent signings in the bag already!!

We have fork all!

Could be a long summer............................!
They went out and grabbed players when we didn't last summer, look where that got them. They NEED to get players in just to have a decent stab at the domestic trophies because so many of their current squad have left (Mols, R. de Boer, F. de Boer, Ostenstad, Emerson, Capucho, Berg to my knowledge, looking likely that Ricksen, Arteta will follow, maybe even Moore). Next season Burke and Hutton will be first picks for them, Namouchi perhaps as well, it shows the state they are in when they are relying on, not grooming, youngsters.

What I'm trying to say is forget what they're doing, they're in such a mess it doesn't make any difference to us. I want a closer league this year, but I don't think Big Feck is up to much anyway.

Supposedly he went for less money to Hertha.

CD - If you think MO will be signing some player from Euro 2004 then I'm sorry, I don't share your view. His lack of transfer activity is annoying to say the least, and if the board are holding back then he should say...........or is he a shitbag? At least we would know.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I should bother my arse with a season ticket as it's the same shite every year and I've got a few other things I could do with the money I spend.

FD

His agent was quoted as saying Celtic had the same problem as the Turkish clubs, they couldn't match the wage he was able to get in Italy, Spain, England or Germany. He at least had the decency to come out and say he was getting more money elsewhere.

Boumsong and Prso are at Euro 2004 :eh:. I don't mean an established star, I mean someone who could be an established star in a few years time.

MON has come out quite a few times and had little digs at the board. Start of last season he said "we must be the only team going into the Champions' League who've signed no one, and it'll cost us". This year during the window he publicly said we couldn't afford £250,000 for Peter Canero, another public dig at his unhappiness with the board. He's already publicly said this Spring we need to bring in "3 or 4 quality players", he's making it abundantly clear he requires money to be spent. He's never going to come out and say "give me money to spend or I'm off", that'd be suicide and he doesn't work that way, though I know of no manager who does.

If we don't do anything decent in the market this summer then I'll agree with you, but what is the rush considering the window hasn't even re-opened yet and we have no CL qualifiers to play?

First dibs on a loan of your ticket this year if you're chucking it in, I'd love one :).

Sorry looks like you were right about Basturk, his agent now says he could have earned more money elsewhere. Hertha finished 12th in the league last year, he won't be playing any European football, I think you can blame the SPL for this one.

But really there is nothing MON could have done about it...

Could be yes, I don't think it was motivated by money, same kind of thing with Larsson here a few years back when Man Utd came calling.

It proves that both MON and the board are willing to stump up though. Standing back and looking at it, we've had a look at 3 players. One, Basturk, we could do nothing about, Rivaldo I'm delighted we never got because it's clear he's after a last pay day, and Amoroso is still a possibility as he has still not found a club.

The glass is half-full, honest!

Yeah but stump up for who is my worry!! We where having a discussion about all this last night funnily enough. As we said it always seems that MO will go for a British player or someone who is playing in Britain and seems to not take much time on foreign players. Also with regards to his famous trials, it is said he is never at training anyway. It's just bizarre that he doesn't see Varga play for ages for Sunderland and signs him (good signing though) and doesn't sign foreign players.

FD

Well he's tried to get 3 and it's only the start of June, although I agree his past record is to stick with players who have experience of playing in Britain. IMO he's definitely realised he can't continue to do this if he wants to move forward, which is why he's trying for these guys.

Hopefully Norwich will buy Laursen off us, my god that would be a blessing and supposedly Hedman could leave for £500k...........good.

However please tell me I'm wrong and say Jamie Smith didn't sign a new 1 year deal...........why?

FD

Now linked with Hakan Yakin..............again. He signed for Stuttgart so we might have to stump up £2 million. Would be a good buy, although it's been a while since I really got a good look at him.

Wouldn't mind Celtic trying for Baseggio of Anderlecht, he looked very classy, not sure how much he'd cost though.

Never know, we might end up with Charlie Miller or something. :mrgreen:

FD

Yes the Yakin thing keeps on cropping up! Can't see it tho

Bassegio Yes!! But i'm pretty sure he was linked with Ajax a while back.

Jamie Smith!!

Please noooooooo!!!!!!!!

Also linked with Reggina defender Martin Jiranek the Czech Republic international according to Italian press reports.

linked with robbie keane again i would like to see him at celtic but i think if new coach santini was to sell him were talkin 7-10 m money celtic dont have.

villarreal have said they will not persue thier interest in signing ex-celt henrik larsson.

and Celtic fan Michael Owen has blasted critics and backed Larsson to do well in Portugal................the England stiker said '' I still don't buy the theory that the goals dont count as much because they are scored in Scotland.''

''Anyway Larsson has shown he can do it in European football with Celtic and international football with Sweden.''

Not really too keen on them, Matteo maybe, but a fee and big wage wouldn't be on for me. Frei, he might be good, but at £2m and a large wage I would miss him out and try and sign up Amoroso and Novo and rather spend them money on a playmaker like Yakin.

MO's previous transfer record will obviously have us pay money for a defender when it isn't really a big priority.

FD

PSG have entered the race to sign Larsson.

Celtic lost out to Sunderland :roll: in signing Rep.Ireland u21 striker Stephen Elliot he rejected a 3 year deal with the hoops.

Yakin has supposedly agreed to join Fenerbahce. :( Also Amoroso supposedly trying to get a deal with Flamengo. I don't actually blame him as if MO's history for trialist players go he'd be leaving it late to get a club if MO didn't fancy him.

Also linked with Martin Petrov, looked quite energetic up the wing, but wouldn't think £1.5 million is a good price.

FD

Martin Petrov is meant to have said his next destination is Barcelona and there was a tag of £9m banded about! Yakin gave his word to Fenerbahce that he would join them then he signed for Stuttgart. His set-piece delivery was good against England, but not much else.

LOL, £9 million???? I think the nearest he'll get to Barcelona is playing for Espanyol. He was bought for £3 million by Bremen or something, but couldn't get a game for them, so it is rumoured they'll accept half that. He's supposedly a left-back, not a midfielder so I wouldn't want Celtic going after him.

FD

Not too much movement just now is there, but I've already said it - the transfer window isn't even open and the likes of Prso and Boumsong aren't yet Rangers players. In fact I think Larsson is still *technically* a Celtic player until July 1st, so there's plenty of time yet!

P.S. Foxtrot it'll be interesting to see if Boumsong gets a game tonight after Desailly's wonderful show against Croatia. If he can't then wtf have you signed! Supposedly Desailly has been dumped in favour of Wilbert Sanyolly, with Gallas partnering Thuram in central defense. They have loads of faith in big Boom Boom eh! :mrgreen:

Desailly is better than Boumsong, thats why. Doesn't mean Boumsong is pants though, anything but. To even be picked in the French 23 shows he's of good quality.
And if Boumsong was playing against Croatia, Prso wouldn't have scored that beezer. ;)

McClelland has told us that we'll be signing another 2 folk before Euro 2004 is over. The news from Celtic seems to be trials and lost causes.

But your team was total gash last year and half of them have left, you don't have any choice but to sign people if you want to meet the criteria of 11 outfield players!

Surely you want Celtic to get out of the group stage of the Champions League? Surely thats what the manager wants and what the board wants.

You're going to need new players, better players to do that, even more so now that Larsson is gone.

Back
Top Bottom