Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360/PS3/PC)

I'm enjoying the game, graphically it's very nice, aurally it does what it should, it certainly looks and sounds like a next gen game, however I'm quite disappointed that despite the power of the next gen consoles the level design and gameplay is essentially the same as old COD or old medal of honours, same linear gameplay, same narrow paths you can move around, same force choke points, same spawn points where there are no enemies, then suddenly you drop down from a ledge and 30 enemies spawn instantly to attack you, why can I stand on the ledge for an hour if there are 30 enemies so close to attack me as soon as I move 1 foot forward? That's just cheap game design IMO and doesn't impress me, I'd rather take a game with less polish but more freedom such as Armed Assault any day.

I'm enjoying the game, graphically it's very nice, aurally it does what it should, it certainly looks and sounds like a next gen game, however I'm quite disappointed that despite the power of the next gen consoles the level design and gameplay is essentially the same as old COD or old medal of honours, same linear gameplay, same narrow paths you can move around, same force choke points, same spawn points where there are no enemies, then suddenly you drop down from a ledge and 30 enemies spawn instantly to attack you, why can I stand on the ledge for an hour if there are 30 enemies so close to attack me as soon as I move 1 foot forward? That's just cheap game design IMO and doesn't impress me, I'd rather take a game with less polish but more freedom such as Armed Assault any day.

But then your asking Call of Duty to be something its not. If COD was like Armed Assault in terms of level design and non-linear gameplay etc etc, I don't think it'd be anywhere near as good as it is now

But then your asking Call of Duty to be something its not. If COD was like Armed Assault in terms of level design and non-linear gameplay etc etc, I don't think it'd be anywhere near as good as it is now

Yes you're probably right, but why can't the series have evolved somewhat? Give us some vehicle control, some more open maps to allow us to choose the tactics, to remove forced choke points and spawning, battles don't have to be tense because the setting and events of them are forced on you......

Play have posted mine, woot woot, maybe lucky if I get it by Saturday though.

Yes you're probably right, but why can't the series have evolved somewhat? Give us some vehicle control, some more open maps to allow us to choose the tactics, to remove forced choke points and spawning, battles don't have to be tense because the setting and events of them are forced on you......

The COD series has always been about the "on rails" experience. Some people like the free form type of war gaming, some dont, simple as that. ITs like a miltary warfare rollercoaster/ghost train experience.
I personally quite like that, as it gives me nice condesnsed chunks of enjoyment, as opposed to more free form games like Armed Assault which have more depth but invariably take more time to get into. If you look at COD4 like that then what it does set out to do it does better than any other game out there.

WHen you are a married man with a 15 month old baby, the chances to sit down and immerse myself for hours on end on any game are rare!!!

SO thank god for the games like COD4, where I can play part of a level and still get a quick "fix" of gaming heaven!!.

Last edited:
The COD series has always been about the "on rails" experience. Some people like the free form type of war gaming, so,me dont simple as that. ITs like a miltary warfare rollercoaster/ghost train experience.
I personally quite like that, as it gives me nice condesnsed chunks of enjoyment, as opposed to more free form games like Armed Assault which have more depth but invariably take more time to get into. If you look at COD4 like that then what it does set out to do it does better than any other game out there.

WHen you are a married man with a 15 month old baby, the chances to sit down and immerse myself for hours on end on any game are rare!!!

SO thank god for the games like COD4, where I can play part of a level and still get a quick "fix" of gaming heaven!!.

Totally agree. As a married man with kids it is nigh on impossible to have "hours" of time to immerse myself in complicated, open ended gameplay. COD is superb it lets me dip in and out and slowly complete the game at my pace and has a structure that is easy to follow. I loved the previous versions and am really looking forward to part 4!!

Totally agree. As a married man with kids it is nigh on impossible to have "hours" of time to immerse myself in complicated, open ended gameplay. COD is superb it lets me dip in and out and slowly complete the game at my pace and has a structure that is easy to follow. I loved the previous versions and am really looking forward to part 4!!

Yeah Kamy, COD4 is a real blast. PLaying it on my 42 inch plasma with surround sound cranked up, it was like living in the Black Hawk Down movie. These is one level early on where you have to rescue a downed heli pilot. Great stuff!!

having said that it would be great to be able to lose myself in those really deep games like ArmA etc for hours on end!!!!

Damn, just another 18 years or so to wait for that|!!:shock:

18 years, you're joking aren't you? Have you seen house prices recently? And that's excluding inflation! I'd say 24 years. Enjoy! :)

I can't wait for this bad boy. Going to Carlisle this weekend to see them play Grimsby in the FA Cup (brother in-law's 40th Bday) so I will have to wait until Monday :(

the reviewers certainly like it

Site Name / LinkQualityDateRatingRatio
GameSpot 11/6/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
GameSpy 11/6/2007 5 out of 5 100.0%
IGN 11/5/2007 9.4 out of 10 94.0%
Official Xbox Magazine 12/1/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%
Game Informer12/1/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%
Eurogamer 11/6/2007 9 out of 10 90.0%
GameZone 11/5/2007 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
TeamXbox 11/5/2007 9.7 out of 10 97.0%
UGO 11/7/2007 A 95.0%
PGNx Media 11/7/2007 10 out of 10 100.0%

Check out the video review from IGN, there a part in it where your in a chopper and you just see bright white figures running around (people who have seen the real mobile phone clip will know what im talking about)

18 years, you're joking aren't you? Have you seen house prices recently? And that's excluding inflation! I'd say 24 years. Enjoy! :)
Haha! Damn, well gotta hot house the kid so he is off to uni straight away!! Or else hope the housing market crashed so he can buy a place for less than the GDP of a small south american country.

the reviewers certainly like it
Check out the video review from IGN, there a part in it where your in a chopper and you just see bright white figures running around (people who have seen the real mobile phone clip will know what im talking about)

Coopz. you referring to the BW thermal image level. That is actually as a gunner in a AC130 gunship plane. It a nice change of pace in the game and is very spooky as it is probably very close to the real thing.

Last edited:
Must.Resist.Temptation.

I think I'd prefer Assasins Creed over COD4 but I'm impressed with the scores of COD4 and the beta was cool.

Next month ....

How can you not get this game?

are you just a single player man, if so i can see why but you should join the online revolution and get 10000000x more fun and longevity out of games

Mainly single-player yep. Very rare I go online because most people are dicks online who take things real serious, hurl abuse etc. I will play online when I get it but the money I have for a game is better spent on AC, which has an excellent single player and is a different kind of game to Bioshock and Orange Box which I'm playing at the moment.

Mainly single-player yep. Very rare I go online because most people are dicks online who take things real serious, hurl abuse etc. I will play online when I get it but the money I have for a game is better spent on AC, which has an excellent single player and is a different kind of game to Bioshock and Orange Box which I'm playing at the moment.
Agreed.

Thats why i dont use Xbox Live. Full of twats!

get the pc version instead. been telling you guys that pc version will be better. better controls. more players per server(18 in xbox, 32+ in pc) o and less lag on the pc due to this thing called dedicated servers ;)

take in the fact that you can also play on mods which u cant on xbox version and you dont have to pay no subscription to play pc games online LOL.

o and you dont have to buy maps like in xbox has all mods, maps etc are free. yes free ;) you get more matur eplayers on pc because think about it, hardly any 10 year old plays games on a decent pc let alone know how to operate one.

have fun playing againts kids while i and other pc users will be enjoying a much mature gaming session lag free online ;)

Last edited:
And buying all kinds of expensive equipment to buy a PC able to run the game as well as the 360. And then putting up with specific hardware issues with PC games and all kinds of patches.

Console versions of games are just easier to play and less hassle than PC versions, even if you do have some issues like subscription fees and possible lag.

Oh, and the fact my 360 has a better resolution on my TV than my PC going through my TV and having a max resolution of 1024x768.

get the pc version instead. been telling you guys that pc version will be better. better controls. more players per server(18 in xbox, 32+ in pc) o and less lag on the pc due to this thing called dedicated servers ;)

take in the fact that you can also play on mods which u cant on xbox version and you dont have to pay no subscription to play pc games online LOL.

o and you dont have to buy maps like in xbox has all mods, maps etc are free. yes free ;) you get more matur eplayers on pc because think about it, hardly any 10 year old plays games on a decent pc let alone know how to operate one.

have fun playing againts kids while i and other pc users will be enjoying a much mature gaming session lag free online ;)

agreed with what u said ...
definatly the pc is the best choice for people with a power pc(not my case, thats why i got for 360)
oh, and i did read in some places the pc has the best gfx quality too..

do u think it will be out in hmv or pcworld today?

Did a collect at store with PC World, as showing in store, it was excepted and got a reference to go and collect. Person serving me didnt have a clue, but because game wasn't on shelf he asked someone else, who told him out tommorrow. Complained and spoke with manager, as not my fault there collect at store was wrong and I had travelled a good distance to collect. Anyway got a bit ugly as manager was a complete patronising smug twat, who was very close (dont think he realised how close)to getting knocked out.

So looks like I am getting it tommorrow!

CoD4 and Ratchet have just showed up but no router.

:(

And buying all kinds of expensive equipment to buy a PC able to run the game as well as the 360. And then putting up with specific hardware issues with PC games and all kinds of patches.

Console versions of games are just easier to play and less hassle than PC versions, even if you do have some issues like subscription fees and possible lag.

Oh, and the fact my 360 has a better resolution on my TV than my PC going through my TV and having a max resolution of 1024x768.

LOL at the resolution comment. there is no fix resolution in the pc, you can have a resolution higehr then 1080p for christ sakes. i dont think you have setup your pc properly for your tv mate. its the tv that cant output higher res on your pc, not the pc itself LOL

Nope you dont need a top of the line pc to play cod4, its not liek crysis. my pc is nearly 4 years old and i can still play this game at mid-high settings that look mor eor less the same has the 360 version.

even if you decide to build a new pc it wont cost u over 600 guarenteed. the new 8800GT cards are out and are only £170. add in a p65 mobo and a e6300 cpu along with a 2gb ddr ram and the price will be around 400 for all those parts already, hdd's psu's and pc cases are all bloody cheap.

i agree with the simplicity of consoles but for me the headache of tweaking pc games and hardware and downloading patches is fine by me has the rewards are far greater and pleasing for me then playing on the same boring maps on the 360 with less players and lots of lag with a crap control scheme compared to the keybboard and mouse. there is a saying, if u want the best then u gotta work for it abit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom