Boxing Talk!!

Naah he's 25 he still has loads of time, showed massive heart, decent chin, problem is his glass neck ;) Made some mistakes and got careless, harsh lessons are learnt in boxing from such mistakes, look at Lennox Lewis, he got KTFO twice to B level opponents and came back to establish a HOF career.

Yeah but Khan just doesn't learn, im not sure if you saw the footage of him in training getting hit with some massive shots bang on the chin and the same happenend in the fight.

his fights all fall into the same pattern, he starts sharp and looks good, the fight than goes a little further and his opponent realizes he can pretty much walk through his shots and press him and starts landing heavy shots on a non existent defense and most likely will end with Khan getting stopped.

same issues hes had for years and nothings changed, no defense.

The last couple of fights he seems to have gone backwards, as much as I like Freddie as a trainer I wonder how much time Amir actually gets with him training Manny who's the priority and now Chavez Jr. (plus a number of others). Manny Steward has done wonders with fighters who have suspect chins, Wlad and Lennox Lewis being key examples, maybe he'd be better for Khan?

Spoilers are there in case someone wants links to the fight and haven't seen it yet, you can talk about the fight anytime you like, using spoiler tags is very simple ;)

I thought Khan started great I even thought Khan was too fast for blue eyes Garcia. I was shock to see khan get expose so open. Garcia clocked him while his head was down (Lucky). Clearly ,that was the beginning of the end for Khan. It was such a lethal blow that rocked him , I was hoping he would recover. I don`t think Garcia is a great fighter he had his 15minutes of fame , that`s all.

The last couple of fights he seems to have gone backwards, as much as I like Freddie as a trainer I wonder how much time Amir actually gets with him training Manny who's the priority and now Chavez Jr. (plus a number of others). Manny Steward has done wonders with fighters who have suspect chins, Wlad and Lennox Lewis being key examples, maybe he'd be better for Khan?

I agree completely about Manny Steward but I think it would be an extremely bold move for Khan to leave Roach now without it further damaging his reputation

hehe, you ought to put a title for your spoilers, could be for anyone. :D

I know someone has already mentioned Haye - Chisora, but I'll still Spoiler it:-

Although I'm not a fan of both of theirs and wasn't expecting too much, was actually a decent fight. Absolute pearler of a punch by Haye for the first knockdown and he is a good finisher.

Khan - Garcia

Couldn't believe Khan was 1/4 to win, thought there was only going to be one winner. Khan just can't take a punch and for me doesn't have the power to go in with the majority of these guys. It's like watching Naseem Hamid all over again, although he isn't as big a dick as him. Garcia's dad was a muppet and hoped Khan would beat him, but didn't think it'd happen and that's how it turned out.

FD

Naseem Hamed and Khan? Theirs no comparison I can see, Hamed's defence was woeful but unlike Khan it was part of his style and flamboyance but more importantly he had great punching power which did take him to the very top.

Khan actually wants to improve his defence he's just not improving and unlike Hamed has nowhere near the power to take out his opponents .

Khan - Garcia

I don't mean they fight the same, I mean the next big thing tag and for me it never comes. Your well entitled to your opinion, but for me both came up against better quality fighters and bombed and to be honest I saw it coming all the way from Hameed and see it with Khan, I also saw it with Hatton.

FD

No Point for spoilers now :P

Hameed and Hatton both got to the top IMO, whether they were good enough to stay their is another debate but atleast both were at one time, two of the best boxers in the sport.

Khan has never got to that level IMO.

Hatton? B+ level for me, sure he bullied a win out of an aged Kostya Tszyu who truly was an A level fighter who else did he beat? The two times he faced real world class opposition he was KTFO.

Hamed fought some very high level opposition at a world level, sure he was found out big style at the end but MAB was at the peak of his powers and is in the kind of class that will be talked about forever.

Amir hasn't got to either level but he has a couple of very decent wins and has shown a lot of heart which I admire in any boxer, at 25 the story is far from finished personally.

I still beleive we will see Khan fighting at the top level again, he really does need to add something to his game though a plan b would be a good start and not to rely on speed all the time. Moving up to welterweight straight away could now be a problem, he could easily get beat up again like he did against Garcia.

Strange one with him, time will only tell. A future Khan vs Brook is a great thought though!

Yeah maybe move up, he could actually be forced to accept at a higher weight that he doesn't have KO power but instead focus on speed, movement, defense, angles, combinations there's no reason he can't win world titles, after all a late TKO caused by a sustained barrage of crisp, accurate medium punches delivered at speed in combinations is the same thing on a record as a first round one punch KO.

Might sound crazy but even going as high as middleweight, there are world champions at that weight who don't have the speed and ability Khan has, someone like Felix Sturm for example. I guess the problem is that height/reach then becomes too much of a factor, but you never know. Khan seemed to get stronger, take punches better when he moved up after the first loss, maybe now his body has grown more he needs to move up again to fill out properly.

IMO Khan beats Brook easily, did you see Brook's last bout? Hadn't seen the guy he fought before but he made Brook look very limited IMO.

Yes I saw that, like you I'd not seen Jones fight before but he came across a tough cookie. I think Kell Brook is very talented. I believe he needs to be more ruthless in his performances, does he appear to lack a bit of power to you? cannot knock his speed and accuracy though. Brook v Khan would is a hard one to choose a winner both have very similar qualities.

Just a quick thought how about if Khan steps up welterweight now and takes on Victor Ortiz next! both on losses and cannot afford another defeat

Last edited:
Ortiz walks through Khan's punches and stops him easily TBH. Hope that one doesn't happen as I like them both! Yeah I think Kell does lack power and he's not mixed in anywhere near the class level of Khan, Khan's fought a number of past/current world champions, Kell's fought? Matthew Hatton? Oh dear ;)

Some great talent fought last night. KO artist Keith Thurman and Adrien Broner. Broner fights so much like Mayweather. Only difference is he has a lot more power in both fists. Very High KO%. I can`t wait to see this guy take on the studs at 135-140. Gamboa, Rios, and Marquez. We also have Saul Alvarez who I think will fight Mayweather next year on May 5 and Chavez Jr. who could get a middleweight superfight with Andre Ward if they both take care of business. Boxing is not dead by any means.

Ya. The jury is still out on Thurman. His endurance and conditioning have not been put to the proper test. Can he carry his power into the late rounds or is he a front runner? I`ve never seen a more classless fighter than Broner. His post fight interviews are a joke. I can see a lot of ppl getting turned off by this kid. It will be interesting to see what happens to his popularity when he starts getting Vegas fights.

Just got round to watching the Broner fight. Very impressive, very Floyd. I have only seen him twice now but both times I was impressed, shame he is a dick though! Should be interesting when he gets the Vegas fights.

On Kahn, if Hatton came out of retirement and they fought, Hatton would win.

Khan has the worst chin I've ever seen in any notable pro fighter. He should retire, no amount of boxing skill can overcome that deficiency.

And on Mayweather, he's ducked Pacman for years and the recent Pacman debacle was all he needed to avoid the fight for good. He was a paper champion, nothing more. Roy Jones Jr ducked Steve Collins long enough, same reason, knew he wouldn't beat him.

I wouldn't pick Hatton to beat Khan if he came out of retirement. He's past it. In his prime he would wear down Khan, but not now. Pacquaio style is tailor made for Mayweather. Mayweather would make him look really bad in there. As for Jones and Collins. Jones at super middle was incredible and as close to unbeatable as you can get.

Apparently it's being confirmed today that he's coming back for at least two fights, hope he chooses exponents with no power else he'll end up on his back again.

Andre Ward was absolutely brilliant against Chad Dawson, really dismantled him

Bellew was pretty good too, strange ending though maybe that body shot was the nail in the coffin

Klitschko yawn!

Alvarez vs Lopez and Chavez Jr vs Martinez should be pretty good this weekend too

Back
Top Bottom