Boxing Talk!!

Was wondering when the real PBF was going to turn up. The ‘Heel’ is out in force now and its great. If PBF and Pacman win then the 24/7 shows for that fight will be classic. The Mayweather camp will diss Pacman and Roach non stop.

A couple of days ago, Junior was crying in the media that if he was white he would be a bigger star — a comment that was roundly dismissed by sportswriters of all colors. That’s a rare feat.

“If you’re rich, you’re a rich n—–,” Mayweather said. “If you’re poor, you’re a poor n—–. If you’re smart, you’re a smart n—–. At the end of the day, they still look at me as a n—–.”

Mayweather went on a real tirade. He accused the media of covering up Oscar De La Hoya’s misdeeds — namely De La Hoya’s two children out of wedlock, and the lawsuit he settled with an 18-year-old who accused him of rape. Mayweather said he’d be more beloved if he were from a different country, and, having not embarrassed himself enough, he called famed trainer and HBO boxing analyst Emanuel Steward an “Uncle Tom.”

Now, Mayweather has stepped up his ‘black hero’ persona by going after other Black people in boxing — including Emanuel Steward, who he called an Uncle Tom. Avoid Floyd if you want meaningful dialogue on race in America, wrote CBS Sports.

What a way to hype up a fight. Steward has taken the high road and praised Mayweather going into his fight against Juan Manuel Marquez.

Will be a very good fight, I expect Mayweather to win but theirs more chance of Marquez knocking out Mayweather if theirs going to be a stoppage.

Just grabbed the undercard as well if anyone wants it:

September 19, 2009, MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. Mayweather – Marquez PPV complete 3 fight undercard HBO-PPV.

Cornelius Lock (18-3-0) vs Orlando Cruz (18-0-1) – Welterweight

Michael Katsidis (25-2-0) vs Vicente Escobedo (21-1-0)
~ Interim WBO Lightweight Title ~

Chris John (42-0-1) vs Rocky Juarez (28-4-0)
~ WBA Super Featherweight Title ~

And the biggest idiot of the night award is shared between Max Kellerman, Shane Mosley and Bernard Hopkins. All 3 of these guys totally ruined the post fight interview. If Shane Mosley and Golden Boy wanted to get heat for a fight vs Mayweather they totally screwed it up.

Where is Larry Merchant when you need him. Hope Sky get the rights for Pacman vs Cotto. Big fights in HD is superb!!

Well, Mayweather was just brilliant... totally dominated the fight made Marquez look very ordinary. It's hard to see how anyone can beat him, even Pacquiao

Totally agree, it was a boxing masterclass from Mayweather winning all 12 rounds. Marquez couldn't even get near him. I'm glad Mayweather is back, as it now opens up the possibility for Pacquiao or Mosley to really give him a test at the top level, unless of course De La Hoya is a possibility? Can't see it though, the destruction of De La Hoya by The Pac Man showed he is a shade of the fighter he used to be.

Personally, I'd like see Mayweather take on The Pac Man next to really see if he is as good as he seems and to see if he can still take a punch against someone who can match his speed.

Exciting times ahead folks.

In other news, I've managed to get tickets to watch Froch at the Nottingham Trent FM Arena on the 17th of October 2009, 4 rows from the front :D.

Last edited:
There may of been a difference in the weight but Mayweather’s win was simply about speed and skills. There is no better fighter at avoiding getting hit. Marquez at times didn’t just miss by incjes, he missed by a long way. Mayweather has crazy skills in making punches hit his shoulders and arms. It’s a real masterclass of the art of boxing. There was one incident where Marquez threw about 5 punches to the body and Mayweather just brought his arms down and didn’t get nailed once. It’s like he see’s the punches coming before the opponent throws them.

Max Kellerman is an idiot. What the fcuk what was he doing. He was asking PBF questions and then not allowing him to answer them. Hopkins and Mosley were acting desperate. Mosley is so desperate for a big fight. He even said he would fight Manny at 140lbs which is insane. The best thing for the sport would be for PBF to face the winner of Pacman v Cotto. I know the hope is a mega fight between Manny and PBF happens but Cotto can win this fight. He stopped Mosley utilising his speed and can do the same v Pacman.

Before this weekend there was a logical booking solution where the winner of JMM v PBF faces the winner of Cotto v Pacman. There is no reason to go down another route. Mosley will just have to wait for Mayweather. After Mosley beat Vargas he had the opportunity to fight PBF and turned it down.

JMM moving up two weight classes was a hard task but cant blame the man. He got paid his biggest payday ever and deserved a real good pay day to set him and his family up. Props to JMM!!!

Saw this on http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/9/22/1050508/juan-manuel-marquez-wants-to-fight

Coming off of a blowout loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr., Mexican warrior Juan Manuel Marquez isn't ready to stop thinking big. Marquez now says that he "would like to get the opportunity at junior welterweight to fight Ricky Hatton," which is a fight that's been kicked around for a while now. There was a rumor that Hatton would want to fight Marquez were Marquez to beat Mayweather.

A pessimist would say that this is kind of like the ultimate consolation prize fight. Marquez was blown out by Mayweather, while in May, Ricky Hatton lasted less than two rounds against Manny Pacquiao. Those have been 2009's biggest fights to this point, and neither of them were in the least bit competitive.

140 would be two pounds less than Marquez weighed in for the Mayweather fight, but still maybe just a little too heavy. Evening that out is the chance that Ricky Hatton simply doesn't take a punch too well anymore. Pacquiao hurt him with just about everything major that he threw. It goes back to Hatton's TKO loss to Mayweather, where people immediately began to wonder if he'd ever be the same.

Since then, he's beaten Juan Lazcano and Paulie Malignaggi, two limited fighters without a ton of power, and then was ripped apart by Pacquiao. Hatton has always been a strong bully fighter at 140, and even if he's not the guy he used to be, Marquez would likely have some trouble if Hatton could make it physical.

Marquez, while a better fighter, has been weaker even at 135 than he was at 126 and 130, but he maintained his power up to 135 pounds, too, if not perhaps even gotten stronger there. At 140? I don't know. The two fighters' battles with Mayweather don't tell us a lot that we didn't know going in: Ricky Hatton is no welterweight, and neither is Juan Manuel Marquez. That comparison is useless, really.

I don't even think you can compare much about their Pacquiao fights. Marquez fought Manny at 126 and 130, and Ricky fought him at 140. And styles make fights and all this. Freddie Roach believed Hatton was tailor-made for Manny, and he was right. Marquez has fared better than anyone has since the first Erik Morales fight against Pacquiao.

A lot of people are probably going to wonder what the point of this fight is. That's easy: Money. If they can figure out a way to make some, they'll make it. It's probably the biggest possible fight for Marquez, and I really don't see what Hatton could do that would make him more than this one, either. It wouldn't be a mega fight or anything, simply a good HBO World Championship Boxing main event, hopefully paired with something that features some fighters on the rise.

You could count me in so long as nobody tries to sell Hatton-Marquez on pay-per-view.

Back
Top Bottom