Boxing Talk!!

more madness!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-B...d-Vernon-Forrest-good-fighter-good-citizen-38

RIP to Vernon Forrest, good fighter and, more importantly, even better citizen.

Boxing was hit, and hit hard, by another violent death Saturday night.

On the heels of the murder of former world champion and fan favorite Arturo Gatti comes news that Vernon “Viper” Forrest, a three time champion and a boxer noted for good works with mentally challenged youths, has been killed in an attempted carjacking in his hometown of Atlanta.

TV and reporter Ashley Hayes said that Forrest was shot eight times in the incident in the Mechanicsville section of Southwest Atlanta.

Forrest, who grew up in Augusta, Ga., was only 38, a year younger than Gatti. Gatti was found murdered in a Brazilian hotel room and his wife remains in jail and under suspicion in the case but has not been formally charged by authorities.

Lou DiBella, who promoted Forrest's fight against Ike Quartey and worked with him when he ran boxing at HBO, called the death a great loss for boxing.

"He was very well respected and well liked," DiBella told Examiner.com. "He would do anything for charity especially if it was for kids. He loved kids. He's the last guy in the world who should go out like this. It makes me sick, really."

Forrest was most recently promoted by Gary Shaw.

But the boxing figure hit hardest is probably adviser Al Haymon.

Forrest was the first boxer Haymon worked for and the two were extremely close.

Just two weeks ago, Forrest had paid verbal tribute to the fallen Gatti:

"Rest in Peace to my friend "Arturo 'Thunder' Gatti. He was a good friend and great boxer and at one time in our careers we both shared management, trainers, and promotional company. We even sparred once and let me tell you he was one tough guy."

Forrest, who was instrumental in creating the Destiny’s Child Inc. group home for mentally challenged young adults, had an astounding amateur record of 225-16 and an excellent pro mark of 41-3 with one no contest and 29 knockouts.

His pro career was plagued with injuries and surgeries.

News reports say Forrest was putting air in the tires of his Jaguar with when two men who drove a red Monte Carlo accosted him. A woman friend and a baby were inside his car.

Evidently, both the would be carjackers and the three time world champion both had guns.

Police say Forrest pursued the robbers on foot and gunfire was exchanged.

Please note that these details have not been confirmed by police.

Forrest, who was on the 1992 US Olympic team, was training for an August bout against Sergio Martinez.

Forrest posted not one but two victories over future Hall Of Famer Sugar Shane Mosley.

He also beat out Mosley in the Olympic Trials.

Inexplicably, however, Forrest managed to get knocked out by and lose a controversial decision to run of the mill Ricardo Mayorga. He also lost a fight against Sergio Mora.

Police told WSB Radio News in Atlanta they do not think the robbers knew that their chosen victim was a professional boxer.

Xavier Biggs, Atlanta resident and brother of Olympic gold medalist Tyrell Biggs, is hosting a 1984 Olmypic boxing team tribute dinner and fight night in the city on Aug. 15.

I would not be surprised if Biggs and the others involved in this event memorialize fallen Olympian Forrest on that night.

Others included in the 1984 team tribute are Evander Holyfield and Meldrick Taylor.

Last edited:
Junior Witter (37-2-2) vs Devon Alexander (18-0)
WBC Light Welterweight

Timothy Bradley (24-0) vs Nate Campbell (33-5-1)
WBO Light Welterweight

Two potentially interesting fights tonight, will share tomorrow, not a fan of Witter but would be nice to have another British world champion so I hope he can win a world title back tonight.

Jeez, that's another sad loss to boxing.

Not up to speed with my boxing after my hols, saw the Witter result.

FD

Thanks for that Placebo, enjoyed the fight!

Aye it was a cracker, RJJ put on a brutal showing, really beat the guy to a pulp whilst half the time not even looking at him and talking to people in the crowd, IMO Lacey has been a shot fighter since Calzaghe destroyed him for 12 rounds, but still, he's a 32 year old and RJJ is 40 and still recovering from 2 crushing KOs, so next fight will be RJJ v Green in Australia for the IBO Cruiserweight title and if RJJ wins it'll be his 8th world title at 5 weights (IIRC)

It's fairly fast, going between 300-700kb/sec, mostly around 4-500. Also it's nice that the download starts automatically and you dont have to put a code in and wait for the download link to come up

Mayweather is not coming across as 'heel' in this fight. In all the other 24/7 shows his been on his always been the one who does all the trash talking. His still as boastful as ever and loves to show off his money and what his money has bought but he aint saying nothing about Marquez.

Really looking forward to the fight. JMM is a great fighter but PBF is something else. I wish we could of seen that sparring session they had on episode 2. That sparring partner looked messed up.

Mayweather is not coming across as 'heel' in this fight. In all the other 24/7 shows his been on his always been the one who does all the trash talking. His still as boastful as ever and loves to show off his money and what his money has bought but he aint saying nothing about Marquez.

You noticed that as well eh? I think he's making effort to try and win back some fans, I noticed in the first 24/7 how he was filmed going out giving food to the homeless and such, and Floyd's all "they never show this side of me", yeah well why would they Floyd when you keep on acting like an arrogant cunt in front of the HBO cameras flashing your money around etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom