Battlefield 3

I've come to the conclusion now that this game is a total piece of crap, it's the most unbalanced FPS I've ever played. Every single level has a set 'tactic' now where people abuse some glaring oversight by the game developers to pretty much spend the entire time acting like a dick.

Tonight all my mates steadily dropped out of our game one by one because they were fed up with all the crap, and ended up playing other games.

Tonight included;

Any city map features at least 80% of players sniping you with a USAS12 that causes explosions around you even if they fire from 100 yards away. Fucking ludicrous. And then tonight every map also featured someone sitting out of bounds piloting the MAV and getting 10-15 roadkills with it per game. It turns Battlefield into some kind of stupid Benny Hill sketch with everyone running away from and firing at some ridiculous high speed robot. DICE really, really, fucked this up. All the MAV does is make me want to quit the game rather than put up with that rubbish. Figure out where the MAV guy is hiding and then shoot him? Nope, all thanks to DICE's decision to encourage people to fly the MAV by allowing them to use it out of bounds where you can't get to. Shoot it down? Well, yes you can, but give it a minute or two and that same person will be back out of bounds and piloting another one. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the MAV on a set place like the BC2 UAV? Or limit the number of MAV's you can use to one or two per game? At least that wouldn't encourage people to spend the entire match using it over and over.

Then there are the open maps. Every time, it now involves a team in a chopper reigning fire down on you and you can't do anything to take it out. We were even staggering our stingers so that we'd fire one, his flare would get rid of it, then we'd fire a second before his flare recharges and directly hit the chopper with it. By the time the next stinger hit the chopper, his mate had repaired it back up to 100. Between us, my mate and I managed to hit the chopper with TWELVE stingers, failing to blow it up, all the while he killed me five times on the ground and my mate three.

Then there's the Firestorm map. It's the dullest map in MP history. Nothing happens. My mate and I would spawn in a tank, get 20 yards out of the base and be instantly blown up with one hit of some pilot's missiles from his jet. No vehicles could get out of the base, causing us to have to run on foot across open wasteland for at least five minutes only to get shot and have to start all over again.

These are just a couple of issues that come up every single game. Every time.

There is an imbalance in the game that allows people to abuse it in every map. Whether it's the crazy invulnerable choppers, MAV abusers ruining the game by flying around getting road kills while under no risk of getting shot themselves, or jets and choppers blowing up vehicles in spawn areas, or other things like the game forcing a team who are losing to have to run across open desert for five minutes at a time just to get to the game, it's awful. Oh, and that's not forgetting the games where there's someone on the mortar firing from their spawn area into your spawn area, killing countless people before they can get out of their base. Brilliant design.

Bad Company 2 was a billion times better than this crap. I've never witnessed so many imbalances, so much cheating, so much constant abuse of 'sure fire' ways to rack up huge number of kills because the game's design overlooked it. And as for the maps, only a few are enjoyable to play. Since BC2, DICE are showing with Medal of Honor and now this that they have HUGE balancing and design issues.

And, yes, there is cheating. There are glitches all over the place, the latest being on Metro, CQ, you can get 'under' the floor of flag C and shoot people from under there while they can't get you. I saw it happen, and instantly switched the game off. Fucking terrible.

Sounds like you need to try another game mode. May I suggest Squad Deathmatch.

I have had a couple of heli and MAV spammers recently and I can see why LTFC is so furious, really spoils the game.

Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen often when I go on.....famous last words!

Yeah, I must admit I've not played BF3 for two or three weeks now. I can't be arsed with it any more.

I remember people saying in the run-up to the game's release that Bad Company 2 was an arcadey, casual-focused game and it wasn't true Battlefield. BF3 would show us what old-school Battlefield is all about. The irony is that BC2 is the more balanced, well though out game and BF3 is the very definition of a casual, COD-esque arcade game.

Perhaps the PC version is where it's at due to the higher player count? But surely the same issues exist?

I'm wondering whether to sell BF3 while it's still worth something and get back on BC2.

I've been thinking the same thing. I need to convince my mates to get back on BC2 but I don't think they will, nor are there enough players playing unfortunately.

BF3 is definitely far more arcadey than BC2. I don't believe this is what old school Battlefield games must have been like. Everyone says that old Battlefield games were crazily open, but BF3 is all about funnelling people into tiny spots. But they've lost the plot regarding balancing, the fact that every match either features a dozen people running away from a radio controlled robot or 99% of the entire server dicking around in vehicles says that DICE definitely have :((

Lately I've found myself yearning for a WWII shooter again. I much prefer the simpler weapons, lack of helicopters and no annoying (gamebreaking) tech like MAVs and thermal sights.

I know everyone got tired of the WWII games but I wasn't one of them.

Modern war is rubbish. :))

I've been thinking the same thing. I need to convince my mates to get back on BC2 but I don't think they will, nor are there enough players playing unfortunately.

BF3 is definitely far more arcadey than BC2. I don't believe this is what old school Battlefield games must have been like. Everyone says that old Battlefield games were crazily open, but BF3 is all about funnelling people into tiny spots. But they've lost the plot regarding balancing, the fact that every match either features a dozen people running away from a radio controlled robot or 99% of the entire server dicking around in vehicles says that DICE definitely have :((

depends on maps

metro, bazzar, seine are defo not bf type original maps.

kharg island, caspian border really only 2 slghtly similar to bf1942 etc.

off course b2k as well.

maps are small and flags close together, dunno y they done this o other maps, matbe for consolers?

Arica Harbour was epic, and certainly not tiny. In fact it was huge in Rush, and offered more scope for different styles of play than any BF3 map, maybe Caspian Border aside. It felt like there was more going on during the games in BC2.

Last edited:
oh well i wasnt a big rush player. BF is a conquest game. Rush was for BFBC.

And rush is much more consticted and linear than conquest so I dotn see how rush was a big open map. I would need to try it out.

Is this the best single player offline experience available in the FPS genre or are there better at less cost right now?

lol this game is for online.

Offline best fps would be older games IMO...MW1+MW2 were nice campaigns. I liked far cry 1, theres half life 2, many games I guess. just bf3 offline single player is not worth it.

There's not a single map in BF3 that surpasses Arica Harbour in my opinion.

I had a problem with my BC2 disk that eventually made it impossible to play Arica so I missed out on it for a long while.

I was an absolute ninja on Panama though, one of the best maps I've played on any game. Having games where I was recon watching over my mates in different classes, chucking motions around for them and destroying anyone that dared get near them (or those who thought it'd be a good idea to use the UAV).

I'd constantly end up with 15-0 or better and loads of points for motion/spot assists or capturing flags if I was nearby.

Good times.

Is this the best single player offline experience available in the FPS genre or are there better at less cost right now?

Well I just completed Crysis 1 last night on 360, it's a far superior single player game, graphics are on a par with console BF3, there's miles more environment destruction, and you can download it from XBL or PSN for under £15. Well worth it for a classic.

Just tried to go on the single player because I've barely touched it.

Clicked resume last mission and it keeps returning to the home screen saying the connection to the server has been lost.

Since when did playing offline single player require a connection to EA?

I went back to Bad Company 2 at the weekend, my absence has made me very rusty! There were a fair few empty games but I also had a few full 12v12 games which made it like the (recent) old days.....

I might be done with BF3 in the main now. I played it for a short while last night and gave up. I joined about seven or eight consecutive rush matches where the opposing team waltzed in and took out MCOM stations within about 30 seconds, on one occasion they blew the things up without losing a single ticket. I don't know why the matchmaking is so bad in this but it's ruined the game. And if that's not happening, people are dicking around with annoying things like MAV roadkills etc etc etc. It's not even so much the game, more the people, who play it. When I sprint over to an MCOM station that's bleeping away because it's been set by the attacking team and four of my team mates are ten yards from it, and piling into a jeep before driving off, then I'm tending to think that the more popular the game gets, the more idiots there are who don't try and play the game properly. 99% of all players seem to treat every mode like Team Deathmatch but with vehicles.

It's a shame. I'd never played a full Battlefield game before but I'm not sure this is really what the older ones were like. I get the feeling it's been made to cater for a mass market, which is stupid because the mass market jump on the bandwagon precisely because it's more hardcore, tactical and different. Everyone starts playing it, so the developers try and make it like the other generic shooters people are trying to get away from.

Of my mates who used to play BC2 all year round, then this on a regular basis (some of my mates even took off the week from work during the release week!), now none of them play it any more.

With BC2 slowly being phased out, MW3 being a horrible game, and BF3, I really don't have a MP shooter to occupy my time for this year. Which sucks.

Last edited:
Hopefully Ghost Recon is as good as ever. That's out April if i remember right?

Hmm, maybe it might fill the gap. I've never played a Ghost Recon game so I'll look into that. Thanks!

Just bought BC2 again, £15...I'll go on it and find absolutely no games now.

I had a few decent matches, you'll just have to take it that it's hard finding them. That said, I spent less time on BC2 the other night trying to find a full game than I spent on BF3 trying to find a game that wasn't a total hammering from one mismatched team over the other......

First game of BC2.

10v10, people working in squads to get objectives. People reviving, Snipers spotting and throwing motions.

Plus I can finally play Arica Harbour after it glitched with my last copy.

Never playing BF3 again.

Back
Top Bottom