Battlefield 3

If they don't patch the MAV glitch out then it'll be the biggest fuck up I've ever seen any games company do with such a big title. It's got to the point where I actively leave servers when it starts loading the map with the highway in the middle (the one at night). I was in a match just the other day where of nine enemy players, six of them were camping on the highway high up in the air. It was ridulously boring.

I hadnt played Battlefield for a good few weeks, put it on last night and it's just full of snipers now, in 2 games i died 15 and only managed a single kill one and was lucky to see 3 enemy's the whole time...my K/D ratio before hand was 1.80. Game is not for me anymore.

I use the MAV-ic carpet every so often still. On "Strike At Karkand" the other night I flew up to three enemies who were laid prone on the highest building, near the river. Knifed all three and then just stood there, erect & proud. It's the frag rounds on the USAS-12 that bother me, they are just outrageous. My woman has begun playing this again and I saw her on CQ on Grand Bazaar, it was a USAS frenzy, all with the frag rounds, total cow shit. I heard it from the attic, I thought she was on the hard liquor again, raging. Boom boom BOOM! That should be removed as quick as.

There's map-specific things that need changing. Wake Island (Rush) is instantly dominated by the chopper, it's 4 out of 5 times the top killer by a long way and most pilots are awesome at flying now and also hide behind scenery to heal as soon as anyone's managed to hit them. I rarely get someone on my team who'll fire a stinger or missile up at the same time as me. I'd like to see the choppers spawn less often and maybe overall their armor level reduced a little. It's the same story everytime I go on WI. Strike At Karkand (Rush) could be awesome if it was a little more infantry based, as at the moments it's endless squaring off between tanks on the defence and attack, randomly-fired shells everywhere. Increase the time it takes for each of these to respawn after being destroyed perhaps, forcing more people on a team to look after the guy in the tank and to balance it out, a higher score & more kills for those lucky enough to take a tank out.

Been playing MGS HD non stop since I got it yesterday morning.

Come back onto this after that and it's just horrible.

Didn't help that the games I joined were simply their team using mortars and the MAV to kill people and our team was full of dickheads using the MAV to get up the construction site on Gulf of Oman.

I climbed up the crane at the very start, turned round and eight fucking people were at the top of the building behind it.

I hate it so much.

For every game with knob heads doing the mav thing, I have about 10 games that are really good, so if it stays like that I will be ok.

MAV misuse aside, I don't have much problem with the folks on top of huge or usually out-of-reach buildings. One switch to my M98B and some good positioning will usually end up with them laid still, emitting brains. Then most of the time, in my experience, they give up Recon for that round, perhaps thinking "aww" and letting out a small tear.

I don't see it happen more than once every 10 rounds though, much like BobbyBox

It's such a frustrating game, though. Sometimes I'll play and have some cracking sessions with the majority of people playing properly. Other times I turn the game on, have a couple of awful sessions dominated by MAV glitching snipers and other forms of bell-endery, and have to turn the console off.

There's no doubt Battlefield 3 has the potential to be one of the finest FPS games of all time, but it's let down by some quite terrible design choices. For me they are....

- The MAV....on three levels. Firstly being used to levitate players to out of reach parts of the map which spoils the game. Secondly being used to pester other players and mow them down. Thirdly that it can be operated well out of reach of the enemy. There is a lack of balancing here unlike the UAV in Bad Company 2, which put the operator at risk of being killed, and couldn't be abused like the MAV.

- Aircraft. Jets are pointless and contribute little to the team objectives. Choppers are too hard to destroy and are almost indestructible in the hands of a good pilot/spammer. The balancing between aircraft and flares vs stingers is all wrong.

- Too many vehicles on some maps. As with aircraft, half the map's players can be tied up in vehicles. Fine on the PC but not so good on the 24 player console versions.

- The USAS.....just ridiculous.

Sort these things out and I wouldn't be able to find much fault with the game.

Yeah I'd agree with those points.

One other problem is with spawning. Twice today I tried spawning in a chopper only for someone else to get there first, so I spawned standing on top of it, then realised I was now on foot and on an aircraft carrier that starts miles behind our spawn base. I could spend about ten minutes pointlessly swimming across the ocean or kill myself and restart in the proper spawn area. Really annoying.

I've had some decent games tonight but while I've not really seen any lag of any kind, it's been dominated by other random stuff ruining it. For example twice in one game I randomly dropped dead in my base and it said 'Bad Luck', it froze my console twice yet again, another time the game hung on the loading screen so I had to come out of the game and load it back up. Finally, during another game my screen started uncontrollably flashing green then the game ended mid match saying we'd lost when it was nowhere near finished, and the stats screen had a weird jagged white line line going across the middle of the screen. Really bizarre.

Last edited:
Well if I paid £40 for a game that worked properly then sure I'd chill out a bit more. It keeps freezing my Xbox, making me drop down dead for no reason and half the time my mates just quit the game because it can't put us on the same teams.

I particularly loved recently how some dude also managed to knife me by sprinting past me, swinging his knife mid sprint, full on COD style, and carry on running past without any pause. That is odd, because when I try to knife it's 50/50 whether it will swipe through his body and register a hit, or if it does work then there's a long drawn out animation. Not for that guy apparently.

So is this for real? A bunch of guys can repeatedly kill me in their attack chopper just hovering over my base, so I use a stinger. He gets rid of it by using his flare. I quickly reload, lock on, fire another stinger, it hits the chopper. I reload a third, lock on, fire it, he gets rid of it with a flare. By this time his mate, sitting in the back of the chopper, has been busy repairing it right back up to 100% during the two shots I need to be able to hit it. So I fire another stinger, it hits the chopper for a second time, his mate is still repairing. I fire a fifth stinger, he uses his flare. I hit him with my sixth stinger, his chopper is again back up to 100%.

Rinse and repeat. What a load of shite. He just hung there killing everyone at will and there was nothing I could do about it. I think I'm all but done with this now. Bad Company 2 was a million times more balanced, the maps were more open (Caspian Border aside) and the game actually worked properly. I mean I had to put up with the chopper fiasco while he kept getting free kills off me, then played Firestorm and didn't see a single soldier all match. Everyone was in a vehicle so after fifteen minutes of tedium the game ended with the highest scorer finishing on two kills. Brilliant fun.

You could on BC2 to be fair.

BF3 is basically unplayable to me at the minute though. Even COD with it's multitude of glitches and the utter wankers that play it didn't annoy me this much.

I hope absolutely nothing that they added or changed in this gets put into BC3 though I bet it will.

Is there actually a BC3 coming out? I hadn't heard anything about it, but I'd also be doubtful about it's quality, DICE seem to be getting worse and worse, coincidentally since they've teamed up with EA. Bad Company 2 was ace, Medal of Honor was absolutely terrible due to some bizarre balancing issues that totally ruined any semblance of decent gameplay, and then this came out. It's as if DICE have lost all sense of being able to balance gameplay mechanics.

There's a reason why everyone uses either the FAMAS, USAS12 or RPG rockets 99% of the time. And the MAV, well, there's actually nothing you can do with it except spotting and trying to run people over, cartoon style. Given that nobody in this game likes to spot, well, what did DICE think it was realistically going to be used for?

It's not just the game's fault though, I mean the amount of assholes not playing properly is crazy. I don't understand really what happened compared to the people who played BC2. They used to drop ammo and health, now no-one does it, ever. I again got myself holed up in a firefight with some enemy players and was hiding behind a wall, being shot at, with not a single bit of ammo for any of my guns. Standing next to me was a support player on my team, and I spent about a minute repeatedly pressing select to ask for ammo, then swinging my knife at the guy to get his attention, and he just never dropped ammo. We ended up getting shot, and had the guy just dropped some ammo we'd both possibly have avoided being shot and he'd have gained a shit load of points for resupplying me.

Then there's Rush. I loved Rush on BC2, I played that game mode almost exclusively. You could have some epic matches where you'd have your backs to the wall trying to defend the objectives, and levels like Arica Harbour could last anywhere up to 45 minutes. Last night I played about ten Rush matches on BF3 and none lasted longer than 6-7 minutes each. No-one defends, they just run off in all directions trying to treat the mode like team deathmatch or piss about in vehicles, then when an objective is set, they don't bother disarming it. I ran over to one as soon as I could but got there just as the MCOM was about to blow up, and we had four players crouched, looking through their gun sights about ten yards from it. Not one person even considered defusing it. This is really stupid behaviour, I mean if you don't defuse the charge then the game will end. And what's the point of playing it if you'd rather sit there and let the game end early?

Oh well. I'm probably less forgiving towards the game because it's automatically replaced BC2, everyone's stopped playing that to play BF3 now, which is a bummer really because BC2 was my favourite MP I've ever played.

Last edited:
Still think this game is really good.

The last couple of nights I have had some great games on it. Last night was the best as the team I was on was just really good. The other team were also good and it went down to the wire alot of times, but our team won mostly.

When it all clicks like last night it is a great game.

I am currently going through all of my guns to try and get them all with service stars. So it makes me swap weapons around etc

Still think this game is really good.

The last couple of nights I have had some great games on it. Last night was the best as the team I was on was just really good. The other team were also good and it went down to the wire alot of times, but our team won mostly.

When it all clicks like last night it is a great game.

I am currently going through all of my guns to try and get them all with service stars. So it makes me swap weapons around etc

Yeah I do that with the guns too. I'm a bit of a completionist so I try to get all guns ranked up if I can. When the game plays well it's great, I agree, I just wish more people knew how to play Rush. I don't get why people who ignore the objectives don't just play Team Deathmatch.

It is also great when playing with friends over headsets. When games go well it can ge awesome fun.

I prefer Caspian Border, Kharg Island, Damavand Peak, Noshahr Canals mainly.

But I also like the others except for Wake Island I hate that one.

Going through my list of guns and a couple, one of which is the AKs-74u I have 60 kills with, but when I try and select it it is locked?!

Does anybody know why this happens, I never pick up guns from the opposite team, so it must have been unlucked at some point for me to kill 60 people with it?

Just want to know if there is a reason for it? It is like that for at least another gun aswell?

74u is a default engineer weapon, its probably locked cause its Russian exclusive until you have some shitload of engineer score and its unlocked for the Yankees.
You sure you ain't playing American? :P

Well I've been trying to get service stars for my assault so I'm ploughing through that. I'm currently enjoying the AEK, an old favourite from BC2. I like the look and sound of the M63A3 (think that's right?!) but it's terrible from distance, it takes an age to take anyone down with short bursts. I also love using the F2000 with 3.4 ACOG.

I'm finding that my favourite maps are Davamand Peak on Rush and CQ, Metro CQ only, Caspian Border Rush & CQ, and my least favourite without a doubt is Operation Firestorm on any game mode. It's so boring it's frightening. Most games end with the top scorer on something like four kills, and you almost never see an actual enemy soldier unless they're repairing a vehicle or parachuting out of one.

Caspian Border is probably my favourite overall though. I wish there were more maps like that.

74u is a default engineer weapon, its probably locked cause its Russian exclusive until you have some shitload of engineer score and its unlocked for the Yankees.
You sure you ain't playing American? :P

Ahh you are right I have just unlocked them for the US and vice versa with the M401 (I think it is?)

It is also great when playing with friends over headsets. When games go well it can ge awesome fun.

Another way they've fucked it up.

Bad Company 2 was made for me because playing with the headset was so clear and it made it easy to coordinate what you were doing with your friends.

On this, you can barely bloody hear them because the quality is shite and it constantly cuts out. Rather than talking to my friends or hearing where enemies are off them, I get some garbled noises and constantly find myself having to ask them to repeat.

Wish they'd sort that out because it was perfect on BC2.

Another way they've fucked it up.

Bad Company 2 was made for me because playing with the headset was so clear and it made it easy to coordinate what you were doing with your friends.

On this, you can barely bloody hear them because the quality is shite and it constantly cuts out. Rather than talking to my friends or hearing where enemies are off them, I get some garbled noises and constantly find myself having to ask them to repeat.

Wish they'd sort that out because it was perfect on BC2.

Very true. Sometimes my mates sound like Mike Myers in that Wayne's World scene where they're ordering food at a drive through and are pretending the mic is cutting out.

Well I've been trying to get service stars for my assault so I'm ploughing through that. I'm currently enjoying the AEK, an old favourite from BC2. I like the look and sound of the M63A3 (think that's right?!) but it's terrible from distance, it takes an age to take anyone down with short bursts. I also love using the F2000 with 3.4 ACOG.

I'm finding that my favourite maps are Davamand Peak on Rush and CQ, Metro CQ only, Caspian Border Rush & CQ, and my least favourite without a doubt is Operation Firestorm on any game mode. It's so boring it's frightening. Most games end with the top scorer on something like four kills, and you almost never see an actual enemy soldier unless they're repairing a vehicle or parachuting out of one.

Caspian Border is probably my favourite overall though. I wish there were more maps like that.

Operation firestorm is ok on 64 man PC howevr the map is quite repetitive buildigns and layout, not so exciting at all..I imagine kharg, oman and sharqi also crap on consoles, maps to big

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom