Battlefield 3

LTFC could it be problems on your side? I was playing last night on quick matches and it was all fine? I don't seem to have any problems at all regarding lag and my internet connection isnt great. Just a thought?

Matherto, how do they use the MAV to get ontop of buildings? I haven't unlocked it yet, but I thought they just fly it around spotting people?

They fly it, land it and change back which puts them where the mav is

As far as I know

They fly it, land it and change back which puts them where the mav is

As far as I know

Bloody hell, that is a bad bug! So you can literally go any where on the map really easily?!

They can just fly to a flag unnoticed and reappear and take the flag?

LTFC could it be problems on your side? I was playing last night on quick matches and it was all fine? I don't seem to have any problems at all regarding lag and my internet connection isnt great. Just a thought?

I wasn't getting lag at all for quite a while, but the last two nights have been well dodgy and I'm suspecting it's perhaps due to the servers getting regions mixed up rather than anything on my end. At least 80% of all players in the European servers last night were from the USA, which must mean the servers are screwed or people are deliberately placing themselves in those servers. But if people are deliberately putting themselves in servers on the other side of the world, how can they be sure that the latency wouldn't affect them negatively?

That said, there was one guy who was lagging me like crazy and was the most annoying player I've ever faced. First he blew me up three times in a row with a mortar, knowing where he was I went after him. I Sneaked round the side, plastered him with bullets and he just got up and ran off. I chased, shot him again, and he one shot killed me with a sniper rifle from the hip. I was kinda seething after that so I stupidly went after him again, went straight back to the same spot, this time sneaked up on him by taking a wide circle around his position, and found him crouched looking through his sniper scope. I pressed the knife button but nothing happened, I pressed it again, nothing happened a second time. With him still unaware I was behind him I pressed knife again and this time my player swung the knife, which then passed 'through' his body and somehow brought up a hit marker as it did so (eh?!). Upon realising this he stood up and turned around, in which time I switched to my gun and shot him from the hip, which did nothing, and he then pulled out his pistol and killed me with two bullets....then the guy starts t-bagging me and jumping up and down on the kill-cam. I check his profile and his location says 'United States' even though it was a stricly European server.

Looking back on it that story's pretty funny but it wasn't at the time!

Now I'm not sure how possible it is to cross regions and use lag to your advantage, but this guy was pretty indestructible. In fact he didn't die in that game once.

Last edited:
i have been getting my ass kicked lately so read a few topics on the EA forums.

i was finding i was shooting them loads and they would not die. they would one shot kill me.

turns out on the PC there is a network smoother slider which adjusted to the left decreases latency but can cause more graphical glitches

just messed with it now and killed 6 people in a row which i never do.

looks like this hit detection issue was the cause of me not enjoying it

i think the same happens when i go to play on the xbox 360 version with my american friend. i am always joining his squad and game, so no doubt i am in the usa with lag getting my ass kicked, thus i don't enjoy it

look at this YouTube - BF3-Hit Detection

the 2nd person who was shooting (30s in)

topic about it here http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3-pc/1459954-hit-detection-now.html

Taken from - Guides: Battlefield 3 Tweak Guide - GeForce

Worth reading for all those with hit reg frustrations. I have had similar issues even with a ping under 10 and on low ping local servers. I am putting it down to accuracy of guns in different stances and other connection based problems.

Network Smoothing Factor:

This slider controls interpolation, a technique which determines where a particular moving object or character is currently located in the game world, based on actual locational data periodically received over the network. If an enemy soldier is running along in front of you, interpolation allows their movement to appear fluid, calculating their movement across the screen even though your computer is receiving only periodic updates of where they actually are. So instead of seeing a person jerkily warping from point to point, you see smooth animated motion all the way along. By reducing this slider, you can reduce the use of interpolation, and in turn potentially increase your accuracy by reducing latency; you're more likely to shoot at where someone actually is at any time. The downside to reducing the slider is that it may make character movements more jerky in the game. This depends on a range of factors, including the quality and latency of your own connection to the server, and those of the other players. Start by lowering the slider to the midway point. If after a period of gameplay on your favorite servers you don't notice any jerkiness in friendly or enemy movements, then lower it slightly again. If you do, raise it slightly until things are smooth.

Gameplay Tips

For those relatively new to the Battlefield series, the key frustration most people voice with Battlefield games is the feeling that they've shot enough rounds into the enemy to kill them three times over, but the enemy still lives. The vast majority of the time this isn't due to faulty hit registration as most people believe. It is part of the design of the game:

Bullet spread and hence accuracy in BF3 is greatly dependent on whether you are firing from the hip (highly inaccurate); crouching (more accurate); or prone (highly accurate). The game is heavily biased towards prone firing.

Moving while firing further reduces accuracy.

Using iron sights (default is Right Mouse Button) is absolutely imperative for accuracy.

Fire single shots or short bursts rather than a spray. You can switch your weapon mode from full automatic to single shot and back at any time (default is V key).

Some weapon mods further improve accuracy, such as the foregrip , or the laser sight which boosts hip-firing accuracy.

Reduce your mouse sensitivity. A high sensitivity might feel more responsive, but reduces accuracy.

not sure what can be done for xbox 360

Last edited:
Since when can a T-90 destroy my tank in two shells when I hit him in a face off with four, AND I got the first shot in?

And since when does an attack chopper take FOUR stinger missile hits and STILL be able to just fly off while I'm now standing on the ground out of stinger ammo?

Oh and it wasn't a one off, the majority of players in the European servers seem to be from the USA.

What a fuck up this game is.

Since when can a T-90 destroy my tank in two shells when I hit him in a face off with four, AND I got the first shot in?

And since when does an attack chopper take FOUR stinger missile hits and STILL be able to just fly off while I'm now standing on the ground out of stinger ammo?

Oh and it wasn't a one off, the majority of players in the European servers seem to be from the USA.

Maybe because he had a teammate repairing the tank? Thats my thought!

That's one of my big issues with the game. A direct hit from a stinger should permanently disable a chopper at the very least. The fact that they take multiple hits is a joke.

By adding stingers I thought Dice had levelled the playing field, due to the domination of invincible, circle-strafing heli-pilots in Bad Company 2. Not so, it seems.

Last edited:
That's one of my big issues with the game. A direct hit from a stinger should permanently disable a chopper at the very least. The fact that they take multiple hits is a joke.

By adding stingers I thought Dice had levelled the playing field, due to the domination of invincible, circle strafing heli-pilots in Bad Company 2. Not so, it seems.

well if youre a choppe pilot like me to get taken down by 1 stinger sucks...it means u get no fly time..

You can get extra damage protection on tanks can't you? (I'm sure I unlocked something on a tank that I could use to sustain more damage?) the more you play with them? the same probably goes for helicopters aswell?

I do agree though, Choppers are so effective in the right hands, that they should be hit a couple of times and then blow up. The skill should be in out running the stinger by using flying skills to go behind mountains, buildings etc to stop from being locked on, or to make the missile blow up on something else.

Also I am playng in the middle east and I think it automatically puts me in the european server?

I like being on the European servers and have no problems with them. I don't think there is a middle east one? but as I am having no problems at all with the European one I will stick with it. Plus we are in the Eurovision song contest, so I think I can be in it ;))

Yeah I specifically choose Europe only and it says that's what you're in before it starts, but it's always full of American and Canadian players. Either EA have screwed it up or people are putting themselves in these servers on purpose.

I still think EA massively screwed the game up. Every Sunday my mates and I get together online and play, every week it's riddled with problems. This weekend our game was ruined by yet again not being able to find a game with four of us in a party without one of us being put on the other team, then it kept chucking us out of our party altogether, then, best of all, three out of four of us complained on several occasions over the evening that we'd randomly just drop dead for no reason while walking along a quiet bit of the map, stating that we committed suicide or just saying "bad luck". This happened to three of us and happened to me personally five times.

Oh, and our mics kept cutting out during the game so we couldn't talk to each other. Exit the game and our mics worked perfectly. Nice. And that's not even mentioning all of us still repeatedly seeing green flashes pop up every twenty seconds or so......

Last edited:
The "bad luck" thing has happened to me a couple of times causing a "what the fuck?" moment. I know when I've done something idiotic, but in these instances I haven't a clue what happened.

I also got stabbed to death within a millisecond of joining a game the other day. I spawned on one of my squad mates and before I can work out what's going on someone is leaning over me with a knife.

I'm not really enjoying being a sniper as much as I did a medic. The camera thing you get that targets tanks and shit, does anyone use their stinger?

Yeah I haven't unlucked the soflam yet, but I was thinking, it would probably be useless, unless you were with a friend who would use the class with the stinger and you knew he was going to use it.

I want the mav, so I am going to stick with Recon for a while to build up my score.

I unlocked the mortar on the other class, which was fun for a while, but the maps it is more effective in, you end up with about 4 people with mortars on your team and the other team getting all of the flags :ROLL:

Still really enjoying the game.

I have had that 'Bad luck' thing happen to me a couple of times aswell without me knowing what has happened.

Returned to this last night. Got my ass handed to me several times. The problem was I'm rank 14 and although I was decent enough with BC2 after the almighty hours I ploughed in, I'm still relatively new to this and the maps. The matchmaking was mental - being put up against Rank 50+ guys who were clearly working in teams was like walking into a minefield.

Returned to this last night. Got my ass handed to me several times. The problem was I'm rank 14 and although I was decent enough with BC2 after the almighty hours I ploughed in, I'm still relatively new to this and the maps. The matchmaking was mental - being put up against Rank 50+ guys who were clearly working in teams was like walking into a minefield.

When it comes to these type of games it pays to stay well away from the action and find a decent spot to snipe from. Hard enough when you know the maps let alone when they're not familiar admittedly but it's no fun spawning and getting destroyed almost instantly over and over again.

Far too many things still annoy me about this game. Many are similar to things that annoyed me about BC2 but because this is nowhere near as fun as BC2 it grates me a lot more.

The "bad luck" thing has happened to me a couple of times causing a "what the fuck?" moment. I know when I've done something idiotic, but in these instances I haven't a clue what happened.

I also got stabbed to death within a millisecond of joining a game the other day. I spawned on one of my squad mates and before I can work out what's going on someone is leaning over me with a knife.

Yeah I've done plenty of idiotic things in my time on this game and on BC2 and always know what happened, so there's a definite issue with the game causing players to just die there and then. I think one of them happened when I was laying some mines down around a flag. It was right at the start of the game so there was no chance for the enemy to get up the map in time. I think I layed a mine and for some reason the game made me detonate it by standing on or near it - which shouldn't happen at all.

I also don't enjoy sniping on this game, the maps don't seem to be suited for it as much and I have no idea how the bullet drop seems to work in BF3. I sniped loads in BC2 and got the hang of aiming above someone's head, or if they were moving left to right, aiming above and to the right so they effectively ran 'into' the bullet as it travelled, but in BF3 it feels totally random. Sometimes the SV98 (think that's what it's called) seems to have no bullet drop at all, other times it does, and mostly the bullets just don't hit their target even when they definitely should. I tried sniping one guy from medium range who was just sat behind a rock for absolutely ages, I got off about 6 or 7 shots each with incrementally increased height above his head and none hit him. Really odd.

I haven't unlocked the SOFLAM yet either, so didn't even know that it had a laser lock type thingy. The only time I've ever seen it being used is by players who exclusively try and fly into opponents with it. Which is incredibly annoying when that happens to you, it moves so fast it's impossible to shoot down.

Isn't the SOFLAM being used by people to glitch the game and get to high rooftops/buildings etc? I see it every match now. I've seen people sniping on that motorway overpass on that level set at night (forgot the name) and snipers on top of that massive red and white pole in Caspian Border.

Bitter, I believe we play in European servers sometimes. I have that on in the filters. Just an FYI. But I don't get any lag on any servers. We will just bunk off the next time you think it's an issue. :)

LTFC the MAV is the one that people are flying into people and it is used for spotting. This is what people are glitching with to get to the top of buildings.

The soflam puts a marker on vehicles for you to use the stinger on I think?

LT, you're confusing the SOFLAM with the MAV. The MAV is the flying UAV type thing. The SOFLAM is a camera on a tripod which you set down and it laser designates vehicles, either manually or you can leave it to do it's stuff automatically.

Good in theory, but it requires team mates to destroy the vehicles with javelins and stingers.

Edit - bobby beat me to it.

The Soflam spots automatically? How?

I thought it was very very useless, I mean I go and mark the vehicles but once they are behind a building or out o the Soflam's sight it loses the mark.

Not to mention no one uses the damn javelins.

People need to spot everything, if you are on air support with no fancy radar you are pretty much blind, the orange marks helps A LOT.

I tried sniping one guy from medium range who was just sat behind a rock for absolutely ages, I got off about 6 or 7 shots each with incrementally increased height above his head and none hit him. Really odd.

I'm 100% there are invisible textures around certain objects.

I was on top of a crane on one of the levels with a construction site aiming up at people that had glitched upto the top of a building and the bullets weren't getting through because I was aiming near to the crane beams, seems like either side of each beam there's dead space that you can't shoot through.

Rocks are another unfortunately.

The sniping really is bollocks.

The Soflam spots automatically? How?

I thought it was very very useless, I mean I go and mark the vehicles but once they are behind a building or out o the Soflam's sight it loses the mark.

Not to mention no one uses the damn javelins.

People need to spot everything, if you are on air support with no fancy radar you are pretty much blind, the orange marks helps A LOT.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/SOFLAM

Ah okay, In that case I'd happily see the MAV taken right out of the game completely. I presume it's supposed to be used for spotting but it's far too mobile. Surely they'll patch out the glitch where people get to the top of buildings etc?

As for sniping, well, I can't see myself bothering with it to be honest. I agree, it's pretty crap in this game overall.

Back
Top Bottom