Battlefield 3

Jeez, using the inra red scope has become very ineffective! I used to love using it in metro but I can't see a bloody thing now.

Anyone else having the problem of their gun selection resetting after every match? I used to be able to go straight into a game and use the same gun but I keep getting different guns now

Same, i loved it and used it all the time then its just shit now. apparently people moaned as it was too effective.

At the moment my main gripes with this game is choppers, there too bloody good.

At the moment my main gripes with this game is choppers, there too bloody good.

Yeah, we're getting the same old problem that plagued BC2 - untouchable helicopter pilots. Put it this way, a direct hit from a stinger should bring down a helicopter straight away, yet it normally requires two hits to do so.

Mind you, I took one down with a direct hit from the main gun of a tank the other day. Instant kill.

Generally, most times I play BF3 now, matches are dominated by high ranking players who have mastered vehicles bombing the shit out of the game map and racking up huge scores. It seems to have a bigger impact on Rush than CQ because pilots have a small concentrated area to aim for when people are disarming MCOM stations, and this helps win the game in a more direct way. This happened last night, no-one could disarm due to two choppers who were pretty expertly reigning fire directly on the stations.

I'm still staggered by how extreme the BF3 experience can be though. A few days ago I had my most fun ever run of games and it was spectacularly good fun, then last night I played for about an hour and it was about as much fun as getting hit in the bollocks by a bag of oranges. Levels kept failing to connect, and when they did, the match ups were so one sided it wasn't worth bothering with. I'm talking CQ team scores of 0-250 or more and always for the other side. One thing I've learnt with BF is that most of the time, if your team is awful then you will get wailed on by the opposition no matter how good or bad you are at the game.

Last edited:
Wow tonight was fucking terrible, the worst online game experience I've ever had. EA had better sort this out or I won't be bothering with this any more. It basically went like this;

1. Four of us join a party, squad up, then spend an hour trying to get a game on the same team despite choosing servers. After an hour my three mates can't be arsed so they all quit the game.

2. I carry on, find that for some reason the game won't let me choose Operation Metro without disconnecting. I choose other games, then spend two hours leaving matches because the matchmaking is so non-existent that it keeps putting me on teams taking a mauling by 200 tickets or more.

3. After that, where I lost about 10 CQ games in a row, I finally get on a team playing properly and winning. With nine tickets left the game disconnects.

4. From here on in, the lag is atrocious, the worst I've ever seen. I'd see an enemy player run straight past me so I aim at him, shoot, he'd stop moving despite his legs frantically still running, then disappear completely before re-appearing ten feet to the side and aiming down his sights at me, and killing me instantly. Try and blow up a tank? Nope, tanks would literally disappear in front of you and re-appear 40 yards up the road.

5. The awful way this game is managed was compounded when firstly some guy with a rocket kept blowing up my tank on 100% health apparently with just ONE rocket, or that's what the game was telling me at any rate, and then I spawned in my own safe zone, took five steps forward, then just died on the spot for no reason. All it said was 'unlucky' on the screen.

Total bullshit. If EA are going to sell this as a social MP game then fucking let me play with my friends in the same team. Its not the first time we've all got together then faffed around for an hour before just giving up. But the shit that followed when I played on my own was just unbelievable for such a massive title. All hype and no delivery. It's a great game, EA just can't get online games to work properly.

Last edited:
Wow tonight was fucking terrible, the worst online game experience I've ever had. EA had better sort this out or I won't be bothering with this any more. It basically went like this;

1. Four of us join a party, squad up, then spend an hour trying to get a game on the same team despite choosing servers. After an hour my three mates can't be arsed so they all quit the game.

2. I carry on, find that for some reason the game won't let me choose Operation Metro without disconnecting. I choose other games, then spend two hours leaving matches because the matchmaking is so non-existent that it keeps putting me on teams taking a mauling by 200 tickets or more.

3. After that, where I lost about 10 CQ games in a row, I finally get on a team playing properly and winning. With nine tickets left the game disconnects.

4. From here on in, the lag is atrocious, the worst I've ever seen. I'd see an enemy player run straight past me so I aim at him, shoot, he'd stop moving despite his legs frantically still running, then disappear completely before re-appearing ten feet to the side and aiming down his sights at me, and killing me instantly. Try and blow up a tank? Nope, tanks would literally disappear in front of you and re-appear 40 yards up the road.

5. The awful way this game is managed was compounded when firstly some guy with a rocket kept blowing up my tank on 100% health apparently with just ONE rocket, or that's what the game was telling me at any rate, and then I spawned in my own safe zone, took five steps forward, then just died on the spot for no reason. All it said was 'unlucky' on the screen.

Total bullshit. If EA are going to sell this as a social MP game then fucking let me play with my friends in the same team. Its not the first time we've all got together then faffed around for an hour before just giving up. But the shit that followed when I played on my own was just unbelievable for such a massive title. All hype and no delivery. It's a great game, EA just can't get online games to work properly.

Never once had connecting/finding a game with friends or lag, one of few things with vehicles that need worked on

I had great games last night, the majority really close games, some were a bit of a mismatch, but that is to be expected.

I rarely get bad lag? maybe because I am in the middle east? but surely it should be worse?

Getting put on the same squad and team is a bit of a pain, but I have only tried with one other (Jay) and we got on after 5mins or so.

I am really enjoying it and rarely get bad games, lag etc.

If I play a game and the other team is just too good, then I just concentrate on of course trying to get the flags, but making sure I get lots of points etc.

Also when you finish a game, how do you get back to the main menu screen? to change from conquest to Rush fo example? I can't seem to find out how, it just loads to the next game?

To PS3 players join via psn card is much much more effective, even when you already are on the same team but not same squad a join session via profile makes you join their squad if theres a spot.

Never once had connecting/finding a game with friends or lag, one of few things with vehicles that need worked on

Which format are you on? I think the PC version, from what I've heard, is more stable and the levels are actually designed for the higher number of players.

Man that lag was terrible all night, something I'd not seen before. I'd see six or seven people all teleport 10 feet at once.

That said, I've not really played the newer maps that much, I've been really enjoying Grand Bazaar and Metro particularly on CQ. Some really crazy close range fights going on there.

One map I instantly leave and barely ever play is CQ Operation Firestorm. It's the most boring MP map I've ever played. If you put both teams (on console) in all vehicles then it leaves something like four foot soldiers per team. I pretty much spend the whole game looking for someone to shoot then running away from tanks. That map shouldn't have made it into the console version without some drastic changes, it's just not designed for 24 players.

I haven't played this since Skyrim came out. TBH I'm still annoyed that I was "awarded" 70 deaths at the end of a round when I hadn't even entered the battlefield. Thinking it was a one off, I was then rewarded with another 90 by entering the game at the last second again. So, 160 deaths and no kills. What a joy. Thanks EA.

I got a nice reply from them, though.

I'm paraphrasing, but basically, it read, "Tough. We're doing our best to rectify any server problems. Good day. *doffs hat*"

My K/D ratio suffered badly for that. It was already bad enough. I think I'm level 14 from what I remember and will certainly get back on it once I'm done with Skyrim. I have my Turtle Beach headset for extra pleasure to the ears. They're awesome with Skyrim.

But yeah, loved BF3 from what I played of it and looking forward to returning.

There's some mighty big arseholes on this game. Whenever (in Rush) I'm on Wake Island attacking, I often strafe nearer the first bases, tactically place a spawn beacon behind a rock, launch MAVwina off on a major spotting mission and hide her in a rock too and then fuck off in the boat back to the carrier. I play Recon on WI - is this strategy a helpful enough start for my team-mates?

Out of the last say, 20 attacking matches on Wake Island that I'll do this strategy, I'll get to the carrier and either pick off a few defenders or get MAVwina on the move again and more than half of these games, some fanny-bandage on my side will lay down in front, firing directly at me, blocking me wherever they can. I've had messages saying "camper" from the ex-COD kids, "ur not helping the team dik" from general retards and "wotta prick" from the fucked-from-birth crowd. They'll stay in my way for the entire game. Utterly braindead. Last match I played, I took 8 defenders out from the carrier, whilst spotting constantly, getting over 10 assists and getting 4 surveillance efficiency ribbons, other stuff like spawn ribbons. We ran out of tickets at the first base, partly due to three guys on my side harassing me throughout and getting themselves shot from defenders on land. They even dropped the Viper on me! Tools.

It infuriates me trying to play with more than about 1 other friend. If you've got a squad of 4 mates playing, its basically impossible to join a game and be on the same team and in the same squad because as far as I know, the server will see 4 people joining in one go and ALWAYS auto balance it - else if it was 8v8 before you and your friends joined, it would make it 12v8.

Obviously I can see the logic behind this, but actually being able to squad up with your friends in the menu and join games together, but then not actually play on the same team, is utterly terrible.

By far the biggest flaw with the game but something that I rarely see talked about in online forums.

It's all the more unbelievable when you consider that Bad Company 2 rarely suffered from this issue. I could squad up with a couple of mates and get on the same team together almost without exception.

EA had it right and then they've fucked it up.

I started this game on the xbox 360, finally got used to it and then played it on the pc which I found was an improvement

I jump back on the xbox occasionally to play with my mate but since I cannot play it well because of the lack of accuracy I find

As on pc I am used to it being so quick to move etc

Anyone else able to jump between formats?

I started this game on the xbox 360, finally got used to it and then played it on the pc which I found was an improvement

I jump back on the xbox occasionally to play with my mate but since I cannot play it well because of the lack of accuracy I find

I have it on PS3 and 360 so that I can play with various mates who are on either console, and yeah I do find the experience different. It must be down to the control pads because after using the 360 version I can't get used to the PS3 one, it kinda feels a bit 'floaty' in the way you aim. Strange.

Do you use the mouse & keyboard controls on a PC? I've heard they're massively faster and more accurate. I personally couldn't use them though.

Weirdly im playing on the pc with the xbox controler!! lol

I know its a lot better to use the mouse and keyboard, but i just got used to play shooters with the 360 controler, since thats the plataform ive been playing shooters for the past 4-5 years...

Anyway, said that i think i wont have a problem jumping from pc to xbox ocasionally, only downside will definatly be the GFX, that in the pc are wine and water compared to the xbox.

yes i use the mouse and keyboard on the PC, took me a while to get used to but i much prefer it

thought i would never be able to use it

There's some mighty big arseholes on this game. Whenever (in Rush) I'm on Wake Island attacking, I often strafe nearer the first bases, tactically place a spawn beacon behind a rock, launch MAVwina off on a major spotting mission and hide her in a rock too and then fuck off in the boat back to the carrier. I play Recon on WI - is this strategy a helpful enough start for my team-mates?

Out of the last say, 20 attacking matches on Wake Island that I'll do this strategy, I'll get to the carrier and either pick off a few defenders or get MAVwina on the move again and more than half of these games, some fanny-bandage on my side will lay down in front, firing directly at me, blocking me wherever they can. I've had messages saying "camper" from the ex-COD kids, "ur not helping the team dik" from general retards and "wotta prick" from the fucked-from-birth crowd. They'll stay in my way for the entire game. Utterly braindead. Last match I played, I took 8 defenders out from the carrier, whilst spotting constantly, getting over 10 assists and getting 4 surveillance efficiency ribbons, other stuff like spawn ribbons. We ran out of tickets at the first base, partly due to three guys on my side harassing me throughout and getting themselves shot from defenders on land. They even dropped the Viper on me! Tools.

Man that's crazy, there really are a lot of stupid people around. Placing spawn beacons, spotting, and not getting yourself killed (and so not draining your team's tickets down) is a great recon tactic, and helps everyone else to place pressure on the defending team. I'm pretty sure that those people bugging you are the same people who never bothered to find out that you can spot, or even that you can lay ammo etc.

Some of the stupidity I've seen has been priceless. I've been repairing a tank only for a team mate to steal it and drive headlong at a cluster of enemy engineers and tanks on about 10% health, I've seen people repeatedly drive off on their own with the last remaining vehicle leaving me to have to run across a huge map area on Caspian Border or Operation Firestorm, and I've been hiding behind a wall in Grand Bazarre with hoards of enemy players pinning me down and absolutely no ammo left, and had a team mate using support class standing next to me absolutely refusing to throw down some ammo to the point where he starts waving his knife at me just for asking......

Playing recon properly is invaluable (as Proxi stated) and can give the team such a huge advantage if done properly. I think too many people play the recon class purely as a sniper - it's always been the staple modus operandi of the k/d ratio obsessed in fps games - when in Battlefield it's more about providing intelligence.

Re: Re: Battlefield 3

Man that's crazy, there really are a lot of stupid people around. Placing spawn beacons, spotting, and not getting yourself killed (and so not draining your team's tickets down) is a great recon tactic, and helps everyone else to place pressure on the defending team. I'm pretty sure that those people bugging you are the same people who never bothered to find out that you can spot, or even that you can lay ammo etc.

Some of the stupidity I've seen has been priceless. I've been repairing a tank only for a team mate to steal it and drive headlong at a cluster of enemy engineers and tanks on about 10% health, I've seen people repeatedly drive off on their own with the last remaining vehicle leaving me to have to run across a huge map area on Caspian Border or Operation Firestorm, and I've been hiding behind a wall in Grand Bazarre with hoards of enemy players pinning me down and absolutely no ammo left, and had a team mate using support class standing next to me absolutely refusing to throw down some ammo to the point where he starts waving his knife at me just for asking......
*facepalm*

Muppets. The amount of times I'm MAV-spotting a couple of enemies laid in a bush or creeping up on my team-mate and the guys nearby on my side don't take any notice. I play with a headset on always but mic off unless necessary. I'll flick it on tell a squad-mate of incoming danger but they'll just ignore it or has the volume off, I dunno. Even had one guy leave my squad just after me telling him "there's a guy climbing your crane". He lost his life with a low IQ. *violins*

Right what the feck is going on with the servers on 360???

I had another rubbish night of lag and strange stuff happening on quick matches, so I checked the nationality of most of my opponents and team mates and they were all from the USA.

So, I chose to go through the server list and choose my own matches, each time specifying through filtering to play on European servers ONLY. I played four different servers and each time probably one in five players were from Europe, each server was absolutely flooded with players from the USA. Anyone have an idea why American players are all over the European servers? No wonder it's lagging.

Getting annoyed at people using exploits to get to places you shouldn't be able to.

Using the MAV to fly upto the top of the construction site on a couple of different levels and then snipe people from the top. Bellends.

Was funny when I popped all six of them that were up there though.

LTFC could it be problems on your side? I was playing last night on quick matches and it was all fine? I don't seem to have any problems at all regarding lag and my internet connection isnt great. Just a thought?

Matherto, how do they use the MAV to get ontop of buildings? I haven't unlocked it yet, but I thought they just fly it around spotting people?

Right what the feck is going on with the servers on 360???

I had another rubbish night of lag and strange stuff happening on quick matches, so I checked the nationality of most of my opponents and team mates and they were all from the USA.

So, I chose to go through the server list and choose my own matches, each time specifying through filtering to play on European servers ONLY. I played four different servers and each time probably one in five players were from Europe, each server was absolutely flooded with players from the USA. Anyone have an idea why American players are all over the European servers? No wonder it's lagging.

Apparently there is a hit detection problem with latency

You might find some people have an advantage using servers with higher lag

Back
Top Bottom