Battlefield 3

BF3 on the PC is amazing.

i am so much better on the PC than the xbox.

it took me ages to get the hang of it on the xbox and i still feel i get mugged off i.e when i find someone to shoot first and they turn around and kill me. happens loads

on the PC not had that happen yet and i seem to kill them first. Accuracy is so much better.

i can actually move about quite easily now.

all the action that is going on, it is just amazing

If you are playing with a group of friends and one of you does not have the new map pack, will all of your friends default to the old maps? otherwise the person without the new map pack would not play?

Is it just me or do the new maps seem a lot better than the ones on disk.

Yeah I think so. They seem better structured and have a decent ratio of infantry to vehicles too. I think I'm enjoying them more because there's simply more foot soldiers out there. Some of the other maps can feel empty in comparison.

Hey guys,
Can someone give me some tips on levelling up Recon for a noob? Every other class is straightforward where u get the points...assault revive teammates and chuck medpacks, engineer blast some tanks, support just pump that trigger and chuck ammo packs, but recon?

I.e. specific maps, game modes,scopes and what I should be doing. Just unlocked the SV98 so haven't got very far.

What I've figured out...Recon is the stealth and infiltration class. Spawn beacons are useful for securing a strategic location. But I usually switch kits with any fallen comrades for more firepower. It jus seems difficult to get the kills I need to level up with a sniper rifle. I try helping the team play the objective but that usually just means getting those 10point spot bonuses by scouting out enemies around flags etc.

EDIT: Just unlocked the TUG-s wooooooo, gonna have fun with that, if I can figure out how to use it lol

Last edited:
I barely play Reckon I'm about to unlock the Soflam still, but the SV98 felt good when I played with cause at least kills with one shot more often. I might play more as a sniper from now on.

But you can always play with SMGs or Shotguns with the class, doesnt make much sense, but with a motion sensor you can protect some important places with a close range weapon, who knows?

There's so much stuff to figure out in this game, the other day I played with a good Helicopter pilot, I wasn't doing much points cause I stayed inside it near the missiles wing repairing it mid air. But he was tearing it up while I got repair and spot points pretty much, but at least it was an easy win.

The one piece of advice I'd give to anyone new to Battlefield is to make good use of the back button (or select on the PS3). It's your friend, yet often misunderstood and definitely under-used. Use it to spot enemies - spot everything....soldiers, tanks, aircraft the lot. Spot assists can really help bump up your score and will help the team as well.

Also, use the back/select button to request/offer ammo and medi-packs to team mates, and as an engineer use it to offer repairs to damaged vehicles. Just aim at the team mate or vehicle and press back/select.

Finally, if you are squad leader use it to select objectives for the team to focus on. It's surprising how many team order points you can rack up in a game.

Yeah I wish more people would spot, when I play it seems like it's only me doing it sometimes. I have been getting revived a lot more lately which is nice,

Hey guys,
Can someone give me some tips on levelling up Recon for a noob? Every other class is straightforward where u get the points...assault revive teammates and chuck medpacks, engineer blast some tanks, support just pump that trigger and chuck ammo packs, but recon?

I.e. specific maps, game modes,scopes and what I should be doing. Just unlocked the SV98 so haven't got very far.

What I've figured out...Recon is the stealth and infiltration class. Spawn beacons are useful for securing a strategic location. But I usually switch kits with any fallen comrades for more firepower. It jus seems difficult to get the kills I need to level up with a sniper rifle. I try helping the team play the objective but that usually just means getting those 10point spot bonuses by scouting out enemies around flags etc.

EDIT: Just unlocked the TUG-s wooooooo, gonna have fun with that, if I can figure out how to use it lol
I think I've already posted about Recon in this topic, but either way I'll say something again.

I find it the hardest class out of the four, mainly because the class-specific weapons are pretty shit until the final two rifles. I used the MOD mostly at first, a bit of the SV98 and then gave up on medium-to-long range sniping. So I unlocked the UMP-45 (rank 16) and because it's an all-class weapon I used it in Recon, with a holographic sight and within 2 sessions on the game had increased my Recon total score from around 40,000 right up to 110,000. Try and get that spawn beacon as far towards the base nearest the enemy's deployment or a MCOM as possible, making sure you're in a squad of four for maximum whoring of it.

The best rifles in my opinion are:
  • the M40A5 (104,000 score)
  • the M98B (146,000 score)
They're both long range bolt actions and I've used them with 4x, 7x and most of all 12x zoom scopes to good effect. Bagged a 844m headshot the other night with the M98B, it feels like Lana Del Ray noshing you off with those dinghy lips. You have to spot absolutely everything, as much as possible, to get your score up. The MAV (45,000 score) has got me so many motion sensor assists (over 800 to date) and they're worth 350 points every five assists as you get a ribbon for each five. On maps with bottlenecks (Bazaar, Damavand, Operation Metro, Seine Crossing) and around MCOM stations they're great for flying around and hammering the spotting button (my record is 49 assists in a match of Rush. They can also be left in a busy area but out of sight (on a ledge, in an unused building) and it'll rack up the assists whilst you're busy hunting down enemies. If you've been damaged by an enemy sniper but can't find their location, hide out of sight and set MAV off to get that position found.

Great sniping maps are Op. Firestorm, Kharg Island, Sharqi Peninsula, Noshahr Canals, Tehran Highway, Gulf Of Oman and Wake Island. On Wake Island in Rush, if you spawn on the carrier (as an Attacker) by jumping out of a parked chopper, you can pick off those on land by either going prone on deck or heading to the small island near the carrier. Obviously, your range will depend on what rifle you have unlocked. I'm not sure that the MOD or the SV98 could reach anyone from the deck. You can perform a similar routine on Kharg Island if Attacking. Stay on the carrier, send MAV in, spot everything, park him up in a sly area and then pick off the guys you've lit up. The carrier on Kharg isn't as far out as the one on Wake, so the early rifles may reach.

Last edited:
I was mucking about with my gun attachments for assault last night and oddly found the opposite to my mate. He swears by the foregrip plus heavy barrel, but I do far better with just the foregrip. It reduces recoil when firing, which seems ro drop people a lot faster for me than when I have the heavy barrel also attached. That makes it more powerful but the accuracy seems to go through the floor.

For about the first time since buying the game I had some genuinely awesome matches, everyone was playing as a team and backing each other up, reviving, laying ammo etc. Some games went down to the wire, a CQ match went down to scores of just a coupleof tickets each before being decided. Shows how good or bad the game can be depending on who's playing really.

Last edited:
Which maps have the 9K22 TUNGUSKA-M?

Its a monster vehicle, by far my best performance so far, I was tearing it up 15 kills and 6 vehicles destroy in 10 minutes, which was what the match lasted!

"Shows how good or bad the game can be depending on who's playing really."

This is key, I've had some awesome games recently when I've been in a squad with a couple of mates or randoms who play the game properly.

We were attacking on caspian border and my whole squad stayed together and layed medi packs and ammo everytime we found cover, everytime we came up against enemy troops they didn't have a chance as we just revived squad members if they were taken out. I would love to see a replay of the whole game, cause it would be a treat to watch.

Just a quick question to all: -

What is your favourite weapon + attachments?

Mine is the KH2002 + HOLO sight + Heavy Barrel + Fore Grip

Over the full range from CQB to long distance on burst fire is fantastic.

So far im loving the M416 assault with holo sight and foregrip. Just unlocked the bipod I think, love using that on my support guns so I'm sure I'll be using this on assault too provided it doesn't replace the foregrip.

I'm terrible with c4, even in BC2 I never used it. Nine times out of ten I'd contrive to blow myself up....

Anyone else have troubles with heavy barrel? If I aim and shoot it seems to somehow miss an easy target, take it off and keep foregrip and I can nail players from distance miles better. I took it off last night and went from averaging negative k/d ratios to going something like 20-5 straight away.

Oh and another thing, has anyone tried shooting aircraft down with the anti aircraft chain gun thing on Karg Island CQ? I took out a chopper that was already on the verge of blowing up but other vehicles were ridiculous. I must have hit a jet that was flying around about 20+ times with sustained bursts of fire and just hit markers came up. I gave up in the end because it doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise, I nailed another chopper repeatedly and it wouldn't go down. Why?!

Last edited:
I can't play without the heavy barrel, every time I'm without it I loose the 1 on 1 situations, maybe its psychological.

But I never really payed attention to the recoil, I might test it out more without to see if I'm better.

I'm terrible with c4, even in BC2 I never used it. Nine times out of ten I'd contrive to blow myself up....

It was a major factor in me getting the MVP achievement the other day. I laid waste to about 4 or 5 tanks with it by laying it across the choke point roads on Kharg Island, then laying prone and waiting. Ended up getting about 7500 points at the end of that game.

It's hugely satisfying. The constant tank whoreing provides a steady stream of customers, and because it's a support weapon I could keep rearming myself with fresh C4.

Anyone else have troubles with heavy barrel? If I aim and shoot it seems to somehow miss an easy target, take it off and keep foregrip and I can nail players from distance miles better. I took it off last night and went from averaging negative k/d ratios to going something like 20-5 straight away.

Oh and another thing, has anyone tried shooting aircraft down with the anti aircraft chain gun thing on Karg Island CQ? I took out a chopper that was already on the verge of blowing up but other vehicles were ridiculous. I must have hit a jet that was flying around about 20+ times with sustained bursts of fire and just hit markers came up. I gave up in the end because it doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise, I nailed another chopper repeatedly and it wouldn't go down. Why?!

theres a aa gun/vehicle with big chain gun in firestrom. NOt only was ai destorying helis easy I was taking out the tnaks with the chain gun lmao...I can fire like 100 roudns before it burnos out so by the time I wreck in 100 rounds+ into the tank the tank has only managed to fire 1 shell at me and I actually destroyed tanks...thought it was a bit odd that aa vechle was more powerful against the tank than vise versa

It was a major factor in me getting the MVP achievement the other day. I laid waste to about 4 or 5 tanks with it by laying it across the choke point roads on Kharg Island, then laying prone and waiting. Ended up getting about 7500 points at the end of that game.

It's hugely satisfying. The constant tank whoreing provides a steady stream of customers, and because it's a support weapon I could keep rearming myself with fresh C4.

how long does it take to get C4

i am only using engineer class

i best start using support then

Are there any maps for the DLC available online? I tried the Google search function a couple times, but it seems like there are no high-resolution maps to peak at. Unless the maps a quite similar to the BC2 versions, I am assuming I can simply look those up instead.

Back
Top Bottom