Battlefield 3

It's not a patch on Bad Company 2.

Agree :(

The maps just aren't engaging, absolutely no-one tries to play properly, all the aircraft barely do anything, and that's speaking as someone who never even flies them, and some of the maps where you start off in an aircraft carrier are the biggest pain in the arse. If there's no-one to spawn on and no vehicles, you have to fucking swim across to the beach? Seriously? It takes ages.

It's a really good game but the 'one more go' factor that had me playing BFBC2 just isn't there. Don't know what it is, but it's missing something. I played a lot of Rush matches on BC2 that were epic, going for 45 minutes or longer, involving mass stand offs between both teams. That factor just isn't there. Everyone is constantly scattered, there's no real scope to offer much support for your team mates as you hardly see any of them. If you do, they're running and gunning on their own.

Well this was my most anticipated game of the year along with the new PES, and I'm not getting along great at all with either :(

Last edited:
how so?

im bored off bfbc2 maps

The shooting is a lot looser than BC2, playing about with the sensitivity can make it slightly better but it's still awful when compared. Hard to keep a steady aim on someone because it feels so light.

The maps are probably great on PC but you spend absolutely ages without seeing anyone, and it's not immediately obvious where to go when out of the base, I also seriously dislike the display for where each map is, it's too intrusive and doesn't always disappear when you're clear of it.

The whole menu design is confusing as well, it was so simple on BC2, easy to get into a game, easy to pick your weapons, easy to spawn in the right place and it just isn't on BF3.

The squad system is fucking appalling as well, that was the best thing about BC2, joining your mates from the menu was a piece of piss and then if the game was full and you ended up on the other side then it always sorted itself out for the next game, it doesn't on BF3.

It also feels less well paced (obviously it's hard to describe the pace of a multiplayer game but that's the only way I can think to term it) but that could also be to do with the fact that the maps are absolutely massive.

Finally dislike the levelling up system for weapons, how you have to unlock the attatchments for each one. Means for me having just started I'll be stuck with shit guns with no scope/other attatchments for a while because I'll be switching depending on the map/squad I'm in. Don't like some of them as well, having been blinded by a torch or by a bright red light it just smacked of MW2 and how they went overboard with perks.

When I got the BC2 beta, me and my friends went on it every night, then I've pretty much been on BC2 every night since I got the full game. I played it to the point whereby I'd buy a new game and either not touch it for weeks or just not at all (had Deus Ex for a month and a half and traded it in still in it's plastic wrapping) I just can't see that happening with this one.

Maybe I'll grow into it but it's completely different to BC2 and I feel they've overcomplicated it just to appeal to the COD crowd.

Regarding the Jets, I am not too sure whether they begin with them, I was under the impression you had to unlock them just as you unlock more for your classes or weapons.

As you can get A2G missiles, or what they call smart bombs etc, same way you don't have flares when you start off in a helicopter or jet.

Agree :(

The maps just aren't engaging, absolutely no-one tries to play properly, all the aircraft barely do anything, and that's speaking as someone who never even flies them, and some of the maps where you start off in an aircraft carrier are the biggest pain in the arse. If there's no-one to spawn on and no vehicles, you have to fucking swim across to the beach? Seriously? It takes ages.

It's a really good game but the 'one more go' factor that had me playing BFBC2 just isn't there. Don't know what it is, but it's missing something. I played a lot of Rush matches on BC2 that were epic, going for 45 minutes or longer, involving mass stand offs between both teams. That factor just isn't there. Everyone is constantly scattered, there's no real scope to offer much support for your team mates as you hardly see any of them. If you do, they're running and gunning on their own.

Well this was my most anticipated game of the year along with the new PES, and I'm not getting along great at all with either :(

I hear that. When I was playing Battlefield 1943 online it was a major PITA if you had to swim to shore. Couple times this sob I played against would let you get close to shore then blow yer a$$ up near land.

The shooting is a lot looser than BC2, playing about with the sensitivity can make it slightly better but it's still awful when compared. Hard to keep a steady aim on someone because it feels so light.

The maps are probably great on PC but you spend absolutely ages without seeing anyone, and it's not immediately obvious where to go when out of the base, I also seriously dislike the display for where each map is, it's too intrusive and doesn't always disappear when you're clear of it.

The whole menu design is confusing as well, it was so simple on BC2, easy to get into a game, easy to pick your weapons, easy to spawn in the right place and it just isn't on BF3.

The squad system is fucking appalling as well, that was the best thing about BC2, joining your mates from the menu was a piece of piss and then if the game was full and you ended up on the other side then it always sorted itself out for the next game, it doesn't on BF3.

It also feels less well paced (obviously it's hard to describe the pace of a multiplayer game but that's the only way I can think to term it) but that could also be to do with the fact that the maps are absolutely massive.

Finally dislike the levelling up system for weapons, how you have to unlock the attatchments for each one. Means for me having just started I'll be stuck with shit guns with no scope/other attatchments for a while because I'll be switching depending on the map/squad I'm in. Don't like some of them as well, having been blinded by a torch or by a bright red light it just smacked of MW2 and how they went overboard with perks.

When I got the BC2 beta, me and my friends went on it every night, then I've pretty much been on BC2 every night since I got the full game. I played it to the point whereby I'd buy a new game and either not touch it for weeks or just not at all (had Deus Ex for a month and a half and traded it in still in it's plastic wrapping) I just can't see that happening with this one.

Maybe I'll grow into it but it's completely different to BC2 and I feel they've overcomplicated it just to appeal to the COD crowd.

I tried going back to BC2 but it's shocking now, there's no-one playing it. Tried tonight and played 3v3, then left a match that was 3v8 (with 7 of the 8 players ridiculously good anyways, all level 50's), and then I joined another match which was one guy running around the base on his own. Until I joined it was 0v1.

That said, it may as well be the same in BF3 sometimes. I can run around for a minute or so at a time before even seeing a team mate on occasion. Massive maps coupled with every player running around like it's a MW3 team deathmatch means the games just aren't fun at the moment. I said before about old BC2 Rush games lasting up to an hour, well the longest I've seen in BF3 is a Rush game where the base is taken every 5 minutes or so. No-one defends the MCOM's, so some straggler can sneak in from any angle and set it over and over. Then no-one ever tries to disarm.

Just played a few rounds of bfbc2 I agree the whole setup, menus, broswer,levelling up etc is well better in bfbc2 as for the game I think its much more in your face faster paced? but then again it really depends on the maps and game modes but maps like bazzar and seine are kinda bfbc2 esq whereas firestorm and kharg island are prob only good for pc 64 player servers.

Regarding the Jets, I am not too sure whether they begin with them, I was under the impression you had to unlock them just as you unlock more for your classes or weapons.

As you can get A2G missiles, or what they call smart bombs etc, same way you don't have flares when you start off in a helicopter or jet.

But I cant even make any points/xp atm in jets so how am I gonna level up lol?

I tried going back to BC2 but it's shocking now, there's no-one playing it. Tried tonight and played 3v3, then left a match that was 3v8 (with 7 of the 8 players ridiculously good anyways, all level 50's), and then I joined another match which was one guy running around the base on his own. Until I joined it was 0v1.

That said, it may as well be the same in BF3 sometimes. I can run around for a minute or so at a time before even seeing a team mate on occasion. Massive maps coupled with every player running around like it's a MW3 team deathmatch means the games just aren't fun at the moment. I said before about old BC2 Rush games lasting up to an hour, well the longest I've seen in BF3 is a Rush game where the base is taken every 5 minutes or so. No-one defends the MCOM's, so some straggler can sneak in from any angle and set it over and over. Then no-one ever tries to disarm.

on pc loadsa players on bfbc2 and bfbc2 vientam still

IMO I could spend all day playing diff maps and modes on bfbc2, bfbc vietnam and bf3....I guess this is a good thing but at end off the day they are all still very good playable games and sometimes you know what its like a map/server is great then the next one is crap....

I recall testing out squad deathmatch on bf3 the other night and I ended up playing for liek 3 hours. I recall an amazing macth on kharg island 4v4v4v4. It was just a atest but turned out amazing. Usually I wouldnt play SDM.

Also, I recall a few months back playing cold war SDM on bfbc2 and ended up having a great game.

With the amoutn of maps and game modes between the 3 games really there is limitless hours of fun. For me its hard to chose a game, map, number of players, game mode that I want....I just dont know what I prefer tbh.

I havent even bohtered with MW3 as well.

Last edited:
Well there are loads of unlocks in this game, I found out what all the unlocks are for each weapon, class and vehicle, pretty amazing to be honest. Looks to me you get rewarded with how you want to play. So those guys in the skies maybe crap atm, give them too much time in the air, and they will be raining hot rain down on your ass.

But I think you can gain points easy, just gotta try get it in them more often I guess, then try dog fighting first, then spray the floor for enemies, then work your way upto higher bigger things? I am not so sure as not flew one, only a helicopter which went horribly wrong haha.

Attack Helicopter Unlocks
300 - IR Flares
800 - Heat Seekers
1,600 - Stealth
2,800 - Autoloader
4,400 - Zoom Optics
6,500 - Proximity Scan
9,000 - Air Radar
12,000 - Guided Missile
16,000 - Extinguisher
20,000 - Maintenance
25,000 - Thermal Optics
30,500 - Laser Painter
37,000 - Below Radar
44,000 - ECM Jammer
51,000 - Guided Rocket
60,000 - TV Missile

Scout Helicopter Unlocks
400 - IR Flares
1,200 - Heat Seekers
2,500 - Stealth
4,400 - Autoloader
7,000 - Proximity Scan
10,000 - Air Radar
14,000 - Extinguisher
19,000 - Maintenance
25,000 - Guided Missile
32,000 - Below Radar
40,000 - Laser Painter
48,000 - ECM Jammer

Jet Unlocks
300 - IR Flares
700 - Heat Seekers
1,500 - Stealth
2,700 - Autoloader
4,200 - Proximity Scan
6,200 - Rocket Pods
8,600 - Air Radar
11,600 - Extinguisher
15,000 - Below Radar
19,000 - Maintenance
24,000 - Guided Missile
29,000 - Beam Scanning
35,000 - ECM Jammer

That's what I had found regarding the aerial units anyway.

Well there are loads of unlocks in this game, I found out what all the unlocks are for each weapon, class and vehicle, pretty amazing to be honest. Looks to me you get rewarded with how you want to play. So those guys in the skies maybe crap atm, give them too much time in the air, and they will be raining hot rain down on your ass.

But I think you can gain points easy, just gotta try get it in them more often I guess, then try dog fighting first, then spray the floor for enemies, then work your way upto higher bigger things? I am not so sure as not flew one, only a helicopter which went horribly wrong haha.

Attack Helicopter Unlocks
300 - IR Flares
800 - Heat Seekers
1,600 - Stealth
2,800 - Autoloader
4,400 - Zoom Optics
6,500 - Proximity Scan
9,000 - Air Radar
12,000 - Guided Missile
16,000 - Extinguisher
20,000 - Maintenance
25,000 - Thermal Optics
30,500 - Laser Painter
37,000 - Below Radar
44,000 - ECM Jammer
51,000 - Guided Rocket
60,000 - TV Missile

Scout Helicopter Unlocks
400 - IR Flares
1,200 - Heat Seekers
2,500 - Stealth
4,400 - Autoloader
7,000 - Proximity Scan
10,000 - Air Radar
14,000 - Extinguisher
19,000 - Maintenance
25,000 - Guided Missile
32,000 - Below Radar
40,000 - Laser Painter
48,000 - ECM Jammer

Jet Unlocks
300 - IR Flares
700 - Heat Seekers
1,500 - Stealth
2,700 - Autoloader
4,200 - Proximity Scan
6,200 - Rocket Pods
8,600 - Air Radar
11,600 - Extinguisher
15,000 - Below Radar
19,000 - Maintenance
24,000 - Guided Missile
29,000 - Beam Scanning
35,000 - ECM Jammer

That's what I had found regarding the aerial units anyway.

whoa thats awsome, shame ill prob unlieky to even make 1 kill in the plane and get any point to unlock anything.

And even good playrs will take a whiel to unlock all that.

But imagine you had it all or a cheat to have it all, wow, would be cool eh, make flight stuff worhtwhile

Haha, I just realised it can all be found in your origin account. If you check your stats, you can see what you've unlocked and what you haven't and it's all displayed there. The flying vehicle unlocks look like they get good, the guided missile can be used to lock on with your self when you have a land vehicle in sight, or if someone has marked it (I believe as a Recon class) then you can use them out of sight and still hit the target.

But the Jet points are lower than the choppers, but, I think you get points quite quick anyway, not sure how much you get for aerial fighting ribbons.

Also checked out some of the land vehicle unlocks, think I might actually have to start giving them a run around to get some more unlocks. So much to do in this game, and then there's bloody more maps in December :/ Haha spoilt for choice.

The recon in our squad last night was using SOFLAM lazer targetting so i used Guided Shells when i got into a tank.

It worked a treat to be honest, especially on Helicopters. The shell almost instantly locks on and it kills them in one hit.

-

Possibly the best team-work fun i've had so far that isn't me playing my usually medic role when my mates are on was when it was just me using MAV and spotting, while my mate used Mortars and dropped them on the highlighted targets.

That was actually comedy hour and i cannot emphasise how useful MAV is to the team. For one it was great to see Mortars rain down on targets instead of firing blindly, and the blue team-mates were mopping up.

Haha, I just realised it can all be found in your origin account. If you check your stats, you can see what you've unlocked and what you haven't and it's all displayed there. The flying vehicle unlocks look like they get good, the guided missile can be used to lock on with your self when you have a land vehicle in sight, or if someone has marked it (I believe as a Recon class) then you can use them out of sight and still hit the target.

But the Jet points are lower than the choppers, but, I think you get points quite quick anyway, not sure how much you get for aerial fighting ribbons.

Also checked out some of the land vehicle unlocks, think I might actually have to start giving them a run around to get some more unlocks. So much to do in this game, and then there's bloody more maps in December :/ Haha spoilt for choice.

I know what you mean I was thinking off going back to bfbc2 but if I do that I will never unlcok anything.

I better just stick with bf3 eh so I can unlcok all the fun stuff and make it more enjoyable.

The recon in our squad last night was using SOFLAM lazer targetting so i used Guided Shells when i got into a tank.

It worked a treat to be honest, especially on Helicopters. The shell almost instantly locks on and it kills them in one hit.

can flares prevent this from hitting?

can flares prevent this from hitting?

I am not sure about flares. As laser assigned missiles would follow the lasers pattern hitting the particular vehicle or object, so the heat from flares shouldn't deter it from the target.

However there are electromagnetic counter measures, or something along those lines, which could probably confuse the lasers signals to the missiles stop lock on's to be able to track etc. But that's at a guess how it would work haha, I am not entirely sure in game, but would make sense if that was the case.

Last edited:
I am not sure about flares. As laser assigned missiles would follow the lasers pattern hitting the particular vehicle or object, so the heat from flares shouldn't deter it from the target.

However there are electromagnetic counter measures, or something along those lines, which could probably confuse the lasers signals to the missiles stop lock on's to be able to track etc. But that's at a guess how it would work haha, I am not entirely sure in game, but would make sense if that was the case.

guess so but you need to unclock them

so its a battle of the unlocks so to speak lol

Pretty much agree with matherto's post. In a nutshell BC2 is a simpler, purer game but all the better for it.

Knowing EA they'll probably take the BC2 servers down soon.

Pretty much agree with matherto's post. In a nutshell BC2 is a simpler, purer game but all the better for it.

Knowing EA they'll probably take the BC2 servers down soon.

on pc they still have servers for all old bf games way back to bf1942.

I played bfbc2 last night and in many ways its simpler more fun action.

BUt if I want to unlock stuff in bf3 i need to play it a lot.

Im not sure what Id rather prefer.

I quite like trying new maps so stick with bf3 for now

Bad Company was the worst thing to happen to the Battlefield series. As a result some of the poor gameplay and design choices made in BC1 and BC2 have now seeped into the main series. Battlefield 3 should have been a continuation of Battlefield 2 only but it feels like the bastard child of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2 instead and its the worse for it as a result.

I'm not saying its a bad game but if you hadn't played BF2 on PC before or even 1942 or Vietnam then you won't really understand where I'm coming from.

Bad Company was the worst thing to happen to the Battlefield series. As a result some of the poor gameplay and design choices made in BC1 and BC2 have now seeped into the main series. Battlefield 3 should have been a continuation of Battlefield 2 only but it feels like the bastard child of Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 2 instead and its the worse for it as a result.

I'm not saying its a bad game but if you hadn't played BF2 on PC before or even 1942 or Vietnam then you won't really understand where I'm coming from.

I think you die to easy in bf3 and bad coampany games.

I n old bf youd cahse each other round the flag areas and shoot for ages to get a kill.

Instant deaths are much easier now

God the campaign mode on this is horrible. I've struggled my way through the first couple of levels and it just feels like just a chore.

The checkpoints at times are a complete mess

I hate the way the game just throws endless waves of spawning enemies at you until you step past a magical invisible line to trigger the next part.

I keep having constant pauses where my team will stand by a door and the game tries to load the next area - for a few seconds nothing will happen leaving me to wonder if I'm doing something wrong and then it will kick in.

Other times I've ran ahead of the ai teammates and got to the door first. They'll then catch up, the animation for them opening the door and continuing will kick in.. but the door will remain closed until it's fully loaded the next section so I'm left on my own waiting.

The AI fail to react to being shot - so you can be unloading rounds into someone who just completely ignores them and manages to head shot you right back.

One of the worst SP story/campaign experiences I have ever had on a FPS game. And I've played and finished Haze!
---------

Online is getting better. At first I felt like the above comments, some maps are too big so you hardly ever see your team, lots of selfish idiots hogging vehicles to get to some place to snipe or mortar or camp. Yadda yadda yadda...

But the more I play it and start to bump into high ranked players... the more I'm starting to enjoy it. It's probably because to get to that rank, you need to know what you're doing and be a team player. and so when I'm in a game with these people I'll see loads of cool new weapons/toys around the map. People revive me, there is ammo and medic packs all over the place... snipers provide mobile spawn points or use the motion sensors or spot for you. I've seen jets with heat seekers taking down the enemy choppers who were trying the old Bad Company 2 trick of flying a full chopper into the mcoms and everyone bailing out and using the numbers and chaos to get the advantage.

I still have bad games where people are clueless... but I think this game will be a grower. The longer it's played for, the greater it becomes and the idiots will find themselves being battered over and over.

I still have bad games where people are clueless... but I think this game will be a grower. The longer it's played for, the greater it becomes and the idiots will find themselves being battered over and over.

This is my experience too now, i'm starting to find games where there are at least two good squads per side or at least one really playing well and making it easy for the slackers to fill in the rest.

In the early days i wasn't free to play classes i like (Assault and Recon)and was pretty much forced into capping flags or destroying vehicles myself: Now though, i can slot into squads better and fill in as the missing class and do my bit, instead of finding myself up against it.

PS3 mic issues are my big gripe now but i am enjoying the game overall

This is my experience too now, i'm starting to find games where there are at least two good squads per side or at least one really playing well and making it easy for the slackers to fill in the rest.

In the early days i wasn't free to play classes i like (Assault and Recon)and was pretty much forced into capping flags or destroying vehicles myself: Now though, i can slot into squads better and fill in as the missing class and do my bit, instead of finding myself up against it.

PS3 mic issues are my big gripe now but i am enjoying the game overall

Bailzebub, can I add you?

Sure mate.

I pretty much only play Conquest mode though because you're less reliant on the other team mates. Bad memories from people sitting watching M-Com blow up on Bad Company 2 :CRY: :LOL:

LOL, on a Rush match last night, our final MCOM station had been set, I was legging it across to try and get there and was too late, but while approaching I saw a series of random team mates walking/running past, then away from the charge.

Do people realise they get tons of points for defusing it? Or that a flashing red siren usually means you're in the process of losing the match? It's crazy.

If anything, even if they want to play selfishly and treat it like a team deathmatch then surely they must realise that if the MCOM blows up it's game over, they won't be a able to run into the opposition because the game will have finished. Defies logic!

At the end of the day many people play the game as if it's a team death match regardless of the game mode. You also have to consider that many people are incredibly thick.

There are some proper tools about, including the objective-ignorers, the vehicle-hoggers. But the fact it happens on both sides cushions the blow at times. There's also the brainless numpties mucking around who I really like. The Colonels who have spent the majority of their BF3 time sat camped in twos in a tank on a hill, pummelling away randomly at buildings, open spaces. The plebs who just fly around aimlessly in jets. The nobs who only try to kill with a knife. Or those running straight into a bottleneck time and time again, no hesitation. There's a ton of mindless players ripe for the picking, life after life. It adds to the playability for me, knowing there's always some guy forcing me to facepalm.

Last night I killed the same 3 guys on Seine Crossing a total of 11 times whilst defending at the C base by myself, purely with claymores. They kept running into the same tunnel following deployment, no tact.

Epic moment on Noshahr Canals, also on CQ. Started on the carrier out at sea. Went to the edge of the deck upstairs, sat prone with the M98B. Bipod enabled. Some guy who had kicked my ass with a tank on Caspian Border ran to the same spot to capture the Train Yard (C base) that I see most people going to every match. Aimed pretty high, one shot, got him in the head. Marksman bonus of 548, so I stood up for a moments silence. Waited on the ship for a chopper, it spawned after 30 secs. Just taking off and the guy I nutpacked has bailed out of his own chopper, coming for revenge on the carrier, within the 10-second boundary countdown. I road-killed him and went to get stuck in on land.

Back
Top Bottom