Battlefield 3

Played it a bit earlier at around 12pm. Im doing pretty badly especially since I turned the aim assist off.

Did you guys buy MoH?

I'm not worthy apparently.

Did you guys buy MoH?

I'm not worthy apparently.

Yes. But I sold it ages ago. You don't need the disc. All I done was redownloaded the MOH Online Pass from my download history, logged out, logged back in and downloaded the BF3 beta. This was at 11:50 am. I only got the email about an hour ago. I was clearly ahead of the curve.

Looks just like bad company 2 graphics. Really poor after seeing all the trailers.
Game is good fun, the only problem I found is jumping into the subway trains is hit and miss. You line your self up and yet something blocks you. Just more annoying than anything as you're a sitting duck jumping on the spot.

I didn't notice any vehicles? None on this map?
Also didn't see any destructible buildings... Again not on this map?

Good fun but still a let down. Hardly blows me away.

Serious Rad if u want to be blown awany by an fps game, invest in a pc gaming rig and go buy arma 2 and play that until the real deal arma 3 comes out next year.

cant expect much from most games tailored for the masses. gota look deaper for indie games if you want innivative and refreshing games that can blow u away.

Red orchestra 2 is one of those games mate but again, PC only at the moment

Last edited:
They've been hyping this as a cod killer so I was just expecting something better. As it stands it's just bad company 2 with new maps. The full game should be better with vehicles but it won't change a lot.. It's still fun but this could just have been Dlc... There's hardly anything there that makes you go "whoa that's new". In fact the beta has probably pushed me into not buying this now as it just doesn't have anything that screams "must buy". It too similar to bad company 2..

Well i dont know about you but bad company 2 blows away COD imo so even if BF3 is just BC2 with more eye candy and bigger maps then it is still a better game then COD.

I enjoyed bad company 1 far more than 2. The choppers ruined the game because it became far too easy to jump in and fly to the a/b mcom's. The defenders AA were underpowered, in useless positions and homing rocket took ages to lock on and often still missed it's target.
People refused to play the game properly and would just camp in a hill sniping or could be stood in the building right next to the mcom and would just ignore the alarms warning a bomb was planted. It just became such a frustrating game because it was all about team work and too many cared about the k/d record.

I enjoyed bad company 1 more than the first few cods. I then enjoyed mw2 more than bad company 2. So far if looks like I'll be enjoying mw3 far more than this even though I was execting to love this.

There are good things.

When jumping over cover like walls or boxes the game has a brink style vault animation. Looks really nice.
When someone kills you you see their mini profile. It has their dog tags, weapon info and a nice little tally of times you've killed them and they killed you.
The sound is awesome. From rockets and bullets zipping past you to team mates screaming out they've been hit, under fire, pinned down etc. It's very impressive and more importantly useful to know what's going on around you even if players are not using their mics.
Rockets and sniper bullets drop over distances and should make it hard for campers to rack up kills from miles away

-

But the map is pretty piss poor boring. At first it's cool but then you realize what's missing and it starts to feel like a large MOH map with no destruction.

Played some more tonight and the more I play it the more problems I see.

Random problems/annoyances I ran into.

Joining games when already in a squad doesn't necessarily mean you will join a game and be on the same team.

Even if you do end up on the same team, it doesn't guarantee you will be in the same squad

I fell through the map 4 times while crawling on the floor. Seems to happen when crawling down hill and then the land moves up hill.. you pass through the floor and end up under the map able to kill anyone above you.

I spawned half through half out of the map when spawning on someone who was prone and was unable to move to get out.

When using the medic pack the animation takes ages and once you've dropped a pack, the animation continues as you pull out another pack ready to use. It leaves you WIDE open to attack and it's frustrating not to be able to just drop a pack quickly and keep playing. You have to first pull it out, then wait for the animation to stop, then drop one... which isn't instant because the game has a slight delay on everything you do... then wait for the taking out of another, then you can change back to your gun which means having to watch the pack get put away and then the gun gets taken out.... all the time leaving you open to attack.
It just seems really drawn out and clumsy.

Destruction is hit and miss. There ARE areas that can be destroyed but then there are mysterious wall that just char slightly when a rocket impacts them.

The silly static and screen effect upon spawning sometime glitch leaving the colours of the game a static purple/pink/blue and only death fixes it.

When dropping a mobile spawn pack onto the floor. Once you advance past the area you want to spawn into... if you die and then spawn and want to pull out another... it pulls out an invisible one, does the sound effect... but refuses to let you place this one on the floor. The ONLY way to use a second mobile spawn point is to run all the way back to the original one, pick it up and then run all the way back to the action.

Time to echo what Johnny said slightly

"If you want the game we were all led to believe this would be by the trailers, invest in a pc gaming rig and buy it on there".

Time to echo what Johnny said slightly

"If you want the game we were all led to believe this would be by the trailers, invest in a pc gaming rig and buy it on there".

interesting. Rad any chance you can invest in a gaming pc? You should seriously consider it mate. Many great games to choose from and play. If you got the money, think about it mate.

My expectations on this game is netrual. i dont want to hype myself up and get dissapointed. im not even keeping much track of this game and just realized the beta was released a few days ago.

I can't see it happening any time soon. If I had money like that sitting around I'd end up spending it on the the kids or wife or a 3D tv before it went on a pc.

Well I managed to get a beta key off my good mate, erm, loaded it up and so far I fucking hate the game. Hate it.

Don't know where to start;

* Graphics are nice, better than Bad Company 2 but only just. The beta is crazily glitchy, in fact the screen flashes every few seconds. Sounds are ropey, presumably due to being a beta. When you go into the park, there is one single short bird noise playing in a constant loop.

* Sniper rifles seem to have absolutely no bullet drop. It's just like MW2. Aim with the right stick, where the sight naturally wobbles around, hold in the left direction stick to hold your breath. Shite. What I loved in BC2 were that maps were big enough to get some great snipes, by looping bullets from distance ahead of people running so they'd effectively run into the bullet path. Really hard but really rewarding. None of that here, for starters the map included isn't large enough to allow for any kind of long distance sniping.

* Don't know if it's lag, or whatever, but my mate tried the game too and you could stand there hitting someone from behind, three feet away, no hit markers at all. I know it's a beta but hit detection is AWFUL. A joke.

* Going prone. I hate it. HATE it. It's getting abused already. Hit anyone from a distance and every player in the game goes prone instantly and out of site. I'm not exaggerating. One clip of someone and they fall to the floor.

* Snipers. Half of every team are snipers, lying prone, at the back of maps, hitting you through crazily small crevaces they've somehow already discovered in a short few hours of this coming out.

* Oh, and I don't know if it's because it's a beta, but almost NOTHING is destructable. No buildings to collapse, nothing. The odd window can be blown out, but the rubble disappears. The Paris map is a flat, basic map comprising of nothing to blow up beyond a few windows. Shite.

* Finally, the map itself. Anyone who likes Battlefield 2, or even to a lesser extent, BC 1 & 2, will know about the more open maps. People complained the maps weren't open enough on BC2, well, this map is as linear as it gets. Part one is in the park, a wide open area with both teams at each end. Nothing in the middle except a few trees and statues. Then part two moves into the underground, which is at one end of the park. Nothing else is there, just an entrance that you can't go over, or around. Then there's the underground which is a series of corridoors and an upstairs, which funnels everyone into the same tiny area. Then part three is another outdoor section with a few second floor windows that can be blown out and nothing else.

It's really linear. Whether they make stuff more destructable in the final game, I doubt, as there's almost nothing to collapse or blow up within the map itself. The aiming and sniping feels more like MW2, hit detection terrible, and the graphics are admittedly in beta but they seem like they're struggling to achieve nothing more than BC2's standard of graphics anyways. Seems a lot has been sacrificed from that game to make something that feels more basic somehow. Hopefully the destruction issue is only restricted to this map, because as it stands I'll be skipping the Paris map after just a few short plays.

So far, it feels like a cross over between BC2 and Medal of Honor. Seriously thinking about cancelling my pre-order, and this was my most anticipated game coming out this year :(

Last edited:
Serious Rad if u want to be blown awany by an fps game, invest in a pc gaming rig and go buy arma 2 and play that until the real deal arma 3 comes out next year.

cant expect much from most games tailored for the masses. gota look deaper for indie games if you want innivative and refreshing games that can blow u away.

Red orchestra 2 is one of those games mate but again, PC only at the moment

Gaming rig or no gaming rig, all the graphics in the world won't disguise the fact that apart from basic shooting and hiding behind bushes/lying on your front in dark tunnels, there's absolutely bollocks all to to on this map. I played for an hour and it felt predictable and boring. Given that I'd played Bad Company 2 all year round and am still not bored of the game, this isn't a good indictment of the game. I'm used to maps that allow multiple routes, collapsable buildings, vehicles (which we all know will be in other maps), and an absolute TON of different tactics. This is straight out of the the Medal of Honor school of map design, and it sucks balls.

Last edited:
I only played it for a short while earlier, will probs give a bash again soon.

But being a beta, I think the destruction is not on as with the alpha trial. But I started of useless, but got into it, some of the problems could be explained, I mean this is a beta not like a retail demo or anything so there are expected to be problems.

But I enjoyed what I had, I was hitting targets easy, dropping people with head shots couple of rounds to the body. The animations are lovely, the graphics are great, not as astonishing as the PC high res images etc but great none the less.

Sniping with bullet drop, I am not sure the map is big enough to actually be effected at the moment. I haven't noticed any sniper glare when prone or red dot flash on the face, but people probably hadn't unlocked any red dots yet.

I had a blast with the LMG and went prone and whacked out the bipod covering one of the defending zones.

Saying about the maps, I liked the outside part and the gun fights there were different to how it played out in the subway which is saying a lot. The game can change, with that the tactics. Obviously the maps will have a mixture of MOH, BC2 and Battlefield 2 (as they are remaking one or two for this aren't they? Caspian Border I think was one) so there will be a lot of greatness to come I hope.

But the only problem I had was I couldn't get into a game EA server never connected for a while.

I never noticed the going prone thing as I said with a good couple of shots they were down dead not prone, and I didn't even play well, I gradually got better as the games went on.

I did like it, and that was without vehicles and destruction. So will probs have different views after a second play through haha.

There's no destruction because there's nothing to destroy though, it's an empty map. They can stick vehicles in the first section maybe, but they'll just be rolling around an empty park.

But yeah I had the EA connection issue too, presume that's again a beta related issue. I get what you say about the maps changing the type of gameplay, but it seems to me to be really limited in what you can or cannot do.

Maybe it's just this map.

Just tried it again after a break and hated it even more. The subway sections look amazing in the PC videos but without the flashy graphics it's a let down to be sure.

Two problems with this section. First, all people do is fire RPG rockets down tight corridoors. Second, the entire map filters into two sets of staircases. Basically, to get to the MCOM station, you can only go up two sets of stairs. Which results in people blindly firing at each other in a large open room. Not exactly what I think of when I think of Battlefield.

Oh and another odd thing about the game, why can't you cook a grenade anymore??! I loved holding the grenade for a good few seconds before throwing, was really useful. Now that seems to have gone completely, you try holding the throw button but he just chucks it straight away.

Still not impressed at all. Feels like the gameplay has gone backwards in many ways to turn it into a generic shooter. And those graphics we've all drooled over? On consoles, it's still nowhere near as nice as Killzone 3, and that's been out a while.

Oh and one final thing, but the beta's only been released earlier today and there are people on level TEN already. TEN. And they're amazing at the game. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
I saw a few guys on levels 13-16 yesterday evening. It's madness.

For a restricted beta, I found it good. But I'm more interested in trying the full game out or the final demo if there is to be one. The map isn't terrible in my opinion, but could be better. There is more destruction to come on this map, it was shown in the MP gameplay teaser. Corners of the buildings outside the metro entrance were blown off in a short clip of that area. Who knows though how far that goes.

Won't be playing the beta too much but I will have another pop at it tonight.

still no code for me despite havin moh special edition with online pass activated seems like im not missing out on much though i knew those nice graphics must have been pc not 360 ah well mw3 for me then

I can't see it happening any time soon. If I had money like that sitting around I'd end up spending it on the the kids or wife or a 3D tv before it went on a pc.
family man :APPLAUD:

nice one mate but what if you have already purchased the above? treat yourself hehe.

anyways back on topic rad have u played BF2 before? has anyone her eplayed bf2? if so how does it compare?

I don't understand how they can beta test the game without having vehicles and destruction in. Surely all of that will add extra strain to the game?

The above video looks FREAKING AWESOME... So I hope that this map we've got is just one of the 'non vehicle' maps for the non vehicle game modes. So if you don't want to play it you don't have to... because it's as boring as MOH.

I'm hoping the Paris map we get in the beta is a one off, because that video looks freakin' amazing. Hopefully all the other problems like flickering graphics, placeholder sounds and hit detection will be ironed out before release.

family man :APPLAUD:

nice one mate but what if you have already purchased the above? treat yourself hehe.

anyways back on topic rad have u played BF2 before? has anyone her eplayed bf2? if so how does it compare?

I have got Battlefield 2 still, might give it ago then play the beta and see how a direct comparison works out. But will be hard due to game mode and map type.

I watched a competition on Gamespot last night with the beta and they made the game look amazing! I didn't even realise you go from outside in the park, through the subway back out to a city which looked to offer walls of destruction lol.

I think the main problem is the fact we are playing on a more enclosed map... well it starts open, gets contained and opens out again. I reckon it's a combination of the map and the game mode rush, as this restricts off areas and opens up as you take out the MCOM's or whatever they are. But if it were more maps like in the trailer above, I would imagine all the above mentioned problems would be eradicated. But I will have to give it another blast for a better opinion on the map.

Are you talking about the BC2 beta?

I loved that beta so much so that I traded in MW2 (?) just to fully focus on it.

EDIT: People still don't understand the benefit of spotting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom