Windows 7

Well the girlfriend is more techie than me and she keeps telling me not to bother installing w7 so I dunno what to do.

I dunno really, cos its a new laptop she says I might as well get Acer to sort it out if its having problems and that cos it's in beta testing they're expecting problems to be spotted but not offering any support. I guess she's just being over-cautious. Also is there any problems with driver compatability or programs not running?

This little gem managed to slip through the cracks, but now that you've all had a chance to get your hands on the Windows 7 beta iso, it's definitely worth sharing.

In November Long Zheng - all around smartypants and good guy - released a handy tutorial on turning the PDC hard drive that Windows 7 was being distributed on at the time into a bootable installer. As luck would have it, he discovered that the process works with any old drive.

It's a pretty simple procedure. Create an active partition on your USB drive if there's not one there already. Mount your Windows 7 iso with a utility like Daemon Tools Lite, and copy the complete contents of the "disc" onto your drive. That's it. Reboot and force your PC to boot to the USB device, and you should be ready to install.

You should be able to pull the same thing off with Vista as well by following the same steps.

Well the girlfriend is more techie than me and she keeps telling me not to bother installing w7 so I dunno what to do.

Someone on this forum actually managed to find someone geekier than themselves?

Yeah as footyfan says, if it worked on Vista there's a chance it will with 7, but don't get your hopes up...

I got the networked printer working fine by the way, it did hang on the "finishing installation" phase, but I noticed that it had correctly added the printer to the Printers and Devices screen, so after waiting for 10minutes I just clicked the X of the finishing installation box and it just went away and the printer was still there and works fine :)).

I seem to be having wireless issues since I upgraded to 7068, not entirely sure it's W7 though or whether Virgin have gone back to being shite.

Anyone else getting a message saying their W7 has expired? My mate has just got that message and is saying he can't get online now.

A new build of Windows 7, one that appears to be the "escrow" build that eventually becomes a release candidate, is starting to build up steam on BitTorrent servers. Microsoft's Windows 7 engineering team posted yesterday that beta-to-RC upgraders would have to modify a build number to 7100 to enable the upgrade, so many distro-watchers are saying that build 7077 is the last one before Microsoft starts handing the OS out to its trusted partners.

The (non-BitTorrent) downloading public will likely still get a re-named release in May 2009, but those with a hunger for getting the cutting edge right away don't have to wait. Not too much that's really brand new, except, apparently, a tweak to the Start menu "orb," some new sound schemes, and a slight visual revamp on the Media Center. If you download and try it out, let us know how it runs in the comments.

Is there anyway to make the taskbar smaller?

its kinda annoying to me how big it is

I now have 7077. Just need to upgrade my laptop and computer tonight. I am praying that this will make my sound card work on my computer :PRAY:. I have realtek on board audio and it just will not work with W7 :((. I've tried almost everything.

Oh right. I THINK mine is AC97. The motherboard maker is foxconn. Other people have had similar problems it seems. I will have another go at it tomorrow.

Upgraded PC to 7077 last night and noticed the sound card still wasn't working. Illl have another go at it today but looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new sound card.

Just tried my Bluetooth USB stick and it works whereas it didn't in 7000 :D

Back
Top Bottom