WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 10/10/07)

Thanks mate.

hey Han this is for you and our long lasting team vision conversation.....

"Bragging about the extremely fuzzy "TeamVision" as the big news underlines their way of thinking. Sure the AI feels better than previous installments, but you don't market something as the big thing, when players on their 20th hour of playing with a bit of luck might hint at it's presence. Sadly it says qute alot about Seabass and his team, but also about PES 2008 as a game".

I am pretty sure they have the final version, Seabass was handing out signed copies in Seville.

It is okay to say "Wait for the final version!" but the release is getting closer and if I end up paying £40 for a crippled game I will be pissed.

But all is well because I know why the game stutters, if you notice the game is 60Hz only on Xbox 360 and as I've said before the PS3 only outputs at 50Hz in standard definition.

Lazy Konami couldn't be bothered to optimise the game. :D

If you have an SD TV buy the game on Xbox 360.

Don't worry guys, Seabaps will release an online update for better editing options, slower gameplay, no slow-down, more stadia, better music, better menus, more teams, more leagues, new master league . . .

Oh wait there, no he won't. He will be laying in a hammock in Jamaica, sipping a cocktail, laughing to himself.

hammock.jpg

Last edited:

so it looks like TeamVision was hype without any substance..

Last edited:

Thanks mate.

hey Han this is for you and our long lasting team vision conversation.....

"Bragging about the extremely fuzzy "TeamVision" as the big news underlines their way of thinking. Sure the AI feels better than previous installments, but you don't market something as the big thing, when players on their 20th hour of playing with a bit of luck might hint at it's presence. Sadly it says qute alot about Seabass and his team, but also about PES 2008 as a game".
I wait with a defenitive reaction. I said before it might only work in the ( Master-)leagues and cups where your stats will be recorded and used by TeamVision.
If that's not the case I will not hesitate to agree with you ;)

As always, it's a case of "if the gameplay alone is enough you'll love it" - just a shame it's not for me any more. As with every previous year, if you only play mates, it will be fun, but personally I don't want to play the ML any more, or online matches against Barcelona EVERY SINGLE TIME (the online leagues function of FIFA is amazing, I'm having more fun with FIFA 08 in an authentic online Premier League than I've ever had with a football game in my life).

So the usual customers will be happy, the usual critics (even when the criticism is well-founded) won't be. Another year without the game for us... Oh well.

Mate I have respect for you but you need to take your fifa rose tinted glasses off. As I have said earlier there is no doubt that FIFA is very good this year, I am really enjoying it, but stuff like the online play is the same as Pro Evo, not all of us are part of leagues, so if I want to play a quick ranked match it is usually against people playing as Barca, the fact that there is no simple way to play against friends on the PS3 is irksome. It is not the perfect game that you and some others make it out to be.

In the end for me it is always about gameplay, FIFA 08 gameplay is very good and if PES gameplay is up to it's usual quality me and many, many others will be extremely pleased. Of course it would be better to have a deeper management mode and state of the art graphics but if it was at the expense of gameplay then no thank you. PES has always and will always be about gameplay, that is why it has such a hardcore following. It looks like Seabass is looking at the other aspects of the game for PES2009 but I really hope that the gameplay always remains as compelling as it has ever been.

So its confirmed then.

The 360 version is actually better than the PS3 version.

Hate to say I told you so \\:o/

kamy100 mustard post. fair and objective - and i agree 100% with the content.:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

So its confirmed then.

The 360 version is actually better than the PS3 version.

Hate to say I told you so \\:o/

confirmed by whom? ur imaginary friend? :lol:

Mate I have respect for you but you need to take your fifa rose tinted glasses off. As I have said earlier there is no doubt that FIFA is very good this year, I am really enjoying it, but stuff like the online play is the same as Pro Evo, not all of us are part of leagues, so if I want to play a quick ranked match it is usually against people playing as Barca, the fact that there is no simple way to play against friends on the PS3 is irksome. It is not the perfect game that you and some others make it out to be.

In the end for me it is always about gameplay, FIFA 08 gameplay is very good and if PES gameplay is up to it's usual quality me and many, many others will be extremely pleased. Of course it would be better to have a deeper management mode and state of the art graphics but if it was at the expense of gameplay then no thank you. PES has always and will always be about gameplay, that is why it has such a hardcore following. It looks like Seabass is looking at the other aspects of the game for PES2009 but I really hope that the gameplay always remains as compelling as it has ever been.

Gameplay isn't enough, we're in next-gen now. I read an interview with someone working on Assasins Creed on the BBC website and they were saying Next Gen means gameplay AND graphics need to be improved to be classed as next-gen.

People keep going back to PES gameplay as it's saviour, but the thing is too many fans have lost faith with it's gameplay. It's not as good as we all thought it was. Now FIFA 08 has shown a different type of gameplay, it makes PES pale in comparision. Not just my opinion but of many others who have abandoned PES for FIFA's gameplay.

Then when you add the modes that FIFA has to offer, as well as the graphics (apart from faces) and the presentation in general, FIFA is leading the football game world on the closest game to next-gen.

PES needs to really switch up its gameplay, with even Seabass admitting they need a big change in how they're bringing PES. It's had its reign on top of the football world, now FIFA has shown us there's a new challenger. Still debatable which people prefer, but there can be no doubt FIFA is more next-gen than PES.

True, and I did enjoy that, but purely for the Fantasista game mode (which is what I want to see - new game modes, new leagues, new competitions), and it was the best thing to happen to PES in years IMO. Which is why it's annoying that it isn't in PES2008...

What Seabass has said about PES2009 intrigues me, that they have several new game modes ready to go. That's what I want in a new PES. But I don't believe anything until I see it when it comes to Konami and PES, as far as I'm concerned they're going down the road of EA and FIFA up until last year ("completely rebuilt engine" - nope, don't think so).

IGN: What about the weak points then - what do you think they are?

Seabass: They're not so much weak points with the game, more within the team. Our team has good points and bad points but the problem is the way we create the game is almost the same as when we made the SNES games. We've been creating games in the same manner for many years and in that sense it's good for upgrading AI and so on. However, if we want to dramatically improve the graphics and add hundreds of new stadiums and so on the SNES way of making a game cannot be applied. This is the weak point I'm speaking about and that's also a hint about what you can expect from the next game.

IGN interview

From IGN: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/827/827315p1.html

IGN: You described PES2008 as "the best PES yet". If that's the case, where do you go next?

Seabass: I've already started on the next version because I have new next-gen ideas I want to include in the game. The Pro Evolution / Winning Eleven production team is brilliant to work with. However, I know that there are many weak points that need concentrating on and in this sense I've already started to get my team working on them, to make my next-gen ideas come to life next year.

IGN: When you say "next-gen ideas", what do you mean?

Seabass: I cannot say at the moment.

IGN: What about the weak points then - what do you think they are?

Seabass: They're not so much weak points with the game, more within the team. Our team has good points and bad points but the problem is the way we create the game is almost the same as when we made the SNES games. We've been creating games in the same manner for many years and in that sense it's good for upgrading AI and so on. However, if we want to dramatically improve the graphics and add hundreds of new stadiums and so on the SNES way of making a game cannot be applied. This is the weak point I'm speaking about and that's also a hint about what you can expect from the next game.

IGN: How difficult has it been to create PES on PlayStation 3?

Seabass: Because of the weak points on the team it was really, really difficult to create PES on PS3. The workload has been massive, not just on PS3 but across all the next-gen, and that has been the hardest thing to overcome.

IGN: When you're creating a new Pro Evo game what aspect of the game - AI, visuals, etc - do you focus on first?

Seabass: The team is split into several groups, so working on AI, some working on graphics, and they're each responsible for coming up with new ideas and upgrades. Everything we do is always viewed from a user's perspective so when a new idea really meets a user's needs we give it the go ahead. However, sometimes ideas get dropped because they're not that important at the time so they carry over. So we don't just focus on one area, we have lots of ideas which we compare to see what works best.

IGN: PES makes its debut on PS3 this year. How satisfied with the game are you compared to the Xbox 360 game?

Seabass: This year the 360 and PS3 versions of the game are exactly the same so I'm satisfied with both. I think it's a good start.

IGN: In the PS3 version we've played we noticed some slow-down in the game, plus the crowd and stadiums aren't as polished as some of the on-pitch features. Will you look to rectify this in the next game?

Seabass: Of course. To be honest I don't think the slow-down is that bad compared to the 360 and as I said, we don't create just a PS3 game, we created both together. But when we compared them directly we were shocked because the PS3 has a little bit more slowdown and we don't really know why.

IGN: Which version do you prefer?

Seabass: I like both, but I don't really like the 360 pad that much. But then I don't really like the PS3 pad either - it's too light and the triggers don't feel right. I have been thinking of ways to only use two shoulder buttons instead of four so it would work better on PSP as well as 360 and PS3. I'm still looking into ways of using the L2 and R2 buttons less.

IGN: One feature that has already divided the opinion of the fans is the ability to dive. Why did you feel you needed to include it in the game?

Seabass: It's been something I've wanted to try over the past couple of years and this year we decided to include it, so it's not just a quick idea we chose to include at the last minute. We've already experimented with it on numerous occasions and we've played around with it a lot, so it won't affect the gameplay as much as maybe you think it will. Like other elements in the game it's a skill you need to learn to use, to master the timing.

IGN: Will we see another Pro Evo on PlayStation 2?

Seabass: We will keep releasing PES on PS2 because the majority of consumers still play it on that machine. It's still going strong and I think it will for the next year or two, so we wouldn't want to let those users down. Also, we would like to keep adding new elements to the game on PS2, although that will keep getting more difficult.

IGN: What's the inspiration that drives you to make new games and at what point will you decide it's time to hang up your boots?

Seabass: The inspiration that drives me is when I see my work and realise it doesn't have all the features in the game that I want it to have. As for retiring, if someone comes along who has the same - or even better - ideas then maybe I'd be happy to hand the reigns over. But until that time comes along I'm very happy to keep PES moving forward.

My word the game looks gash. Just went through the screenshots off the winningeleven blog. The first thing that strikes me is how souless the whole thing looks. It looks BARE MINIMUM. The players are stiff and thin looking, with strange body types.

It looks like it lacks atmosphere too, whereas fifa has plenty of atmosphere and flair as well as gameplay.

At the moment im getting it purely out of curiosity - if its crap its going back. Im hoping its good but im not holding my breath. Dreadful ball physics, dreadful keepers, terrible running animation and super speed players grafted together with some souless looking last gen graphics ( i mean the players are straight out of pes one for goodness sake, where are the athletic looking bodies and flowing kits?).

Dreadful. I fear for Pes this year, but its what happens when your king of the castle and you take your eye off the ball. i cant help but think some reviewers have cut Konami some slack this year because of previous versions, rather than score it objectively.

I like the Level 7 review, hard hitting.

My word the game looks gash. Just went through the screenshots off the winningeleven blog. The first thing that strikes me is how souless the whole thing looks. It looks BARE MINIMUM. The players are stiff and thin looking, with strange body types.

It looks like it lacks atmosphere too, whereas fifa has plenty of atmosphere and flair as well as gameplay.

At the moment im getting it purely out of curiosity - if its crap its going back. Im hoping its good but im not holding my breath. Dreadful ball physics, dreadful keepers, terrible running animation and super speed players grafted together with some souless looking last gen graphics ( i mean the players are straight out of pes one for goodness sake, where are the athletic looking bodies and flowing kits?).

I agree. If you look at Adriano's body type, it does not look right. His model looked miles better in last years version.

Fifa has much more dreadful keepers in my opinion. And even though the responsiveness needs a lot more tweaking, it is a very, very good game and loads of fun online.

Also, Seabass confirms in that interview that PS3 does suffer from in game slowdown a bit more than the 360. That about does it for me. I have preordered a PS3 copy of this game in shopto.net. I have to go with that version since I live in the US. After reading that part of the interview, I am thinking of canceling my preorder later today. Slowdown in next gen consoles is unacceptable and insulting to us consumers in my opinion.

When the game is launched in the US in the spring, I will then buy the 360 version.

Slow down??? unbeleivable!

Last edited:

IGN: In the PS3 version we've played we noticed some slow-down in the game, plus the crowd and stadiums aren't as polished as some of the on-pitch features. Will you look to rectify this in the next game?

Seabass: Of course. To be honest I don't think the slow-down is that bad compared to the 360 and as I said, we don't create just a PS3 game, we created both together. But when we compared them directly we were shocked because the PS3 has a little bit more slowdown and we don't really know why.

I guess there is slowdown in the final version then. It came directly from Seabass' mouth.

IGN said:
I have been thinking of ways to only use two shoulder buttons instead of four so it would work better on PSP as well as 360 and PS3. I'm still looking into ways of using the L2 and R2 buttons less.

How will it ever become more complex and controllable when the way Seabass wants to go is to not even use all the buttons on the pad? Can the game even become more simple than it is now? Pretty soon we will see a simultaneous release of PES2009 on X360, PS3 and NES, with no controller differences... :(

PS3 slowdown confirmed. :(

IGN: Which version do you prefer?

Seabass: I like both, but I don't really like the 360 pad that much. But then I don't really like the PS3 pad either.

Is anyone else confused? So he likes both the pads, but at the same time he doesn't like them?!

I hope Seabass doesn't do that.

I mean not really easy to justify the purchase of this year game:

Gameplay tweaked but nothing really revolutionary, Off line more or less the same (same old gamemodes/masterleague as PES6), on line they took away the fantastic 2vs2 which was truly the best thing of PES6.

The PS2 version will be best again probably.
At least it won't have slowdown(stupid PS3).

The PS2 version will be best again probably.
At least it won't have slowdown(stupid PS3).

I agree, then again with a nice tv and a little patch the ps2 might turn out to be visually excellent as well.

Last year, there was a hint of a XBox360 pad just for PES, but we didn't get it :(

That whole article screams of: "I am sorry but this version is not next gen, infact its been a struggle to get it looking and playing anywhere near next gen...............ahh well sorry I will try and sort it for next year"

Is that what members here have been saying since the first pics and video's emerged.

In short Seabass has just masked over his own admission that this years game is a slight dissapointment....you can say that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom