WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/27/07)

I agree with you about the ball physics in particular.

About the speed of the game: Of course it looks quicker when the players are not in wide screen. Just watch real football on TV; when they show a close-up of a dribbling player it also looks quicker than with the normal view... has nothing to do with PES.

My problem is that the game as a whole does not seem to be moving on except for spit and polish.

The gameplay is still a PS2 engine with smoother animation, ML is still the same apart from 4 more teams, only 15 stadiums, Edit mode still not 100%,The nets are now all the same at every ground??,general atmosphere still average.

The list goes on for me and thats why Ive fallen out of love with it.I appreciate what Konami did for the footy game lovers over 8 odd years but they have had millions of pounds to boot yet i do not see the huge profits in improvements to the game.

IMHO Konami have gotten a little like EA in that respect and its showing its true colours now ino next gen, i already hear people talking about the true game next year, if thats not FIFA talk ( which we all use to laugh at) then i dont know what is.

I was expecting a different experience from PES 5.4 on the 360, instead I see a faster game, easier to score and bits put back in that were originally taken out, not really worth another £40 is it?

Every time I see a video it does not fill me with excitement or anticipation, evry time we hear new announcements it dissapoints me and I am afraid fans are starting to drift.Just look at the FIFA thread, 2 years ago this site was 98% Pro Evo, 2 years on I would say its come down alot.

If they could only use that euphoria engine to make a rugby game and not an american football one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway both pes6 and the 2008 demo feels very light to me in terms of ball physics and players weight. In pes5 my impression is that they were heavier and that gave a more realistic feeling of simulation simulation.

Yes I agree ;)
However being an experiment I hope it work well so other sports simulation producers will use it [-o<

My problem is that the game as a whole does not seem to be moving on except for spit and polish.

The gameplay is still a PS2 engine with smoother animation, ML is still the same apart from 4 more teams, only 15 stadiums, Edit mode still not 100%,The nets are now all the same at every ground??,general atmosphere still average.

The list goes on for me and thats why Ive fallen out of love with it.I appreciate what Konami did for the footy game lovers over 8 odd years but they have had millions of pounds to boot yet i do not see the huge profits in improvements to the game.

IMHO Konami have gotten a little like EA in that respect and its showing its true colours now ino next gen, i already hear people talking about the true game next year, if thats not FIFA talk ( which we all use to laugh at) then i dont know what is.

I was expecting a different experience from PES 5.4 on the 360, instead I see a faster game, easier to score and bits put back in that were originally taken out, not really worth another £40 is it?

Every time I see a video it does not fill me with excitement or anticipation, evry time we hear new announcements it dissapoints me and I am afraid fans are starting to drift.Just look at the FIFA thread, 2 years ago this site was 98% Pro Evo, 2 years on I would say its come down alot.

Well done! :applause:

A fantastic, succinct, post.

Does not shy away from the truths, and shows the utter disappointment of PES fans who have been told about this game being 2 years in development - but being offered nothing more than a glossy incarnation of last years Xbox travesty.

The inherent fact is that the game is still based on the PS2 engine, and Konami have been found out. Their inconsistencies and blatant trumpeting of this new development are for nought.

You can lipstick on a dog, but it’s still a dog.

Well done! :applause:

A fantastic, succinct, post.

Does not shy away from the truths, and shows the utter disappointment of PES fans who have been told about this game being 2 years in development - but being offered nothing more than a glossy incarnation of last years Xbox travesty.

The inherent fact is that the game is still based on the PS2 engine, and Konami have been found out. Their inconsistencies and blatant trumpeting of this new development are for nought.

You can lipstick on a dog, but it’s still a dog.

What I dont get is no interview with Seabass or Konami ask these kinds of questions / query why it doesn't change the ML, ask why the nets are all the same, they are all sucking upto the development team. I was hoping that the Blog would do more than PESFAN did and ask these questions but all they seem to do (which I am not trying to belittle) is use those contacts to see versions of the game rather than feedback (if they are doing it then I have missed that blog entry!)

How is the master league far better? Only feature I've seen announced is the fan support thingy which affects your chances of signing players? Which isn't a new feature anyway (previous PES' have a club prestige system which affects your chances of signing players).

Guys,, maybe sounds weird but anyone knows if there is any gameshops in Heathrow or Gatwick cause a friend is coming to my country but way too early in the morning on 25th so im praying something is open so he can buy the friggin game :( or ill be doomed :(
thanks

From my experience shops in UK airports stick to the normal 9am-5pm opening times so chances are if he's there really early any gameshop will be shut.

dirty=smart=lots of money for little evolution=corporate konami happy.

I was hoping that the Blog would do more than PESFAN did and ask these questions but all they seem to do (which I am not trying to belittle) is use those contacts to see versions of the game rather than feedback (if they are doing it then I have missed that blog entry!)

It's very hard to get Konami Japan to say anything at all tbh

i was pleased to see the pc vid of newcastle vs ac milan,the commentary sounds great,the speed of the game should be slower,ballspeed seems ok,but the speed of playermovement and running is somewhat to fast compared with that.
i hope the ps3 version is the slowest game,just like we games compared to pes games.
the guys playing played it like good online players,the atmosphere in the game is great,cant wait to play the game.
i hope no delay.

one of the best (if not, the best) post I've read on here in a long time!!!:applause::applause::applause:

Maybe they have little options like boots and stadia in there and will release more as downloadable content. Remember the extra PS3 mystery option?
Clutching onto straws, but who knows?

Maybe they have little options like boots and stadia in there and will release more as downloadable content. Remember the extra PS3 mystery option?

[-o<

lol

The game ain't getting delayed.

Be the first in Australia to play the full version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on October 10, at MySpace and IGN’s latest community event. Black Beta is a totally free, over 18 videogame party in a central Sydney nightclub. First 150 to RSVP are in!

261mc74.gif

Shame. I was rather hoping for a delay so that they could fix some things...

lol

The game ain't getting delayed.

Be the first in Australia to play the full version of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 on October 10, at MySpace and IGN’s latest community event. Black Beta is a totally free, over 18 videogame party in a central Sydney nightclub. First 150 to RSVP are in!

We’re proud to present Atari’s acclaimed football game, Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

:lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

What I dont get is no interview with Seabass or Konami ask these kinds of questions / query why it doesn't change the ML, ask why the nets are all the same, they are all sucking upto the development team. I was hoping that the Blog would do more than PESFAN did and ask these questions but all they seem to do (which I am not trying to belittle) is use those contacts to see versions of the game rather than feedback (if they are doing it then I have missed that blog entry!)
I agree, a lot of these games magazines and internet sites seem to ask a lot of bullshit questions!

Useless questions like "Seebass, tell us who you favourite team is?". lol!

I am crazy, o Winning eleven 2008 (beta) looks better than PES 2008(beta).

Look this video:
http://www.gamespot.com/video/94055...en-pro-evolution-soccer-2008-gameplay-movie-4

lots of ppl say its all the same,but i play the jap Winning eleven serie every year and i always find it better then the european PES.(i personaly think the jap. version is alsow slower then eu PES)
The best version of the gameplay for me is JLWE2007CC.
After playing the 360 demo,the gameplay is not like that.
If Winning eleven 2008 has the gameplay of JLWE2007CC then thats deffo my game this year.

M8, not that I care that much but I have to point out that it is still relative based on view, take a plane in the sky, if you are watching a Jumbo jet from the ground then it looks like its moving slowly when in fact its airspeed is 100's km's/h. I understand the theory of speed = distance / time as I have a degree in mathematics, however in this case a game can seem slower / faster based on the view, the easiest way to prove this is with the older versions of PES on 4:3 and Widescreen, if you play 4:3 it feels slow, play on widescreen it feels fast. The game itself has not changed and the distance has not changed and your point of the ball geting from a to b has not changed.., however visually your brain sees the pitch as bigger (although its not its simply stretched) and therefore the player covers more ground in your eye's.

Not that I care cause I have no life and will be playing the new version for the next 12 months as I have with all the previous ones..

Cheers

Stumpy

Hey there Stympy. :)

I see your points, but I don't really agree with them.

First of all, in your example of 4:3 vs. 16:9 on the old PES (which only had 4:3 ratios and no widescreen), the streched view is a false representation of distance ratios. Therefor it is useless to make any measurements on speed 8unless you compensate for the false aspect ratio in which case you get the same data as if the game was in 4:3.

As for the plane, I see your point. Problem is, a plane in the sky leaves us with very little basis for measuring the speed, since the plane is not moving relative to something.

When we play PES; we always have the pitch there as a fixed point for measuring speed (player speed in relation to the pitch) so we never are in the situation that the plane is in. Even if we are very far from the pitch (as we are very far from the airplane) with good eyesight we can still see thepitch patterns, and those give us a point of reference since the players all move just above the surface of the pitch.

So you are right about planes, since those don't move on a surface which provides an anchor point for your eyes so that you can measure how fast something moves.

If the PES players were all hovering in the air against a blue sky background, then your points would be valid (as would they be if you only saw the player models in a 3D program against an all-grey background etc). But since the plane has no immediate surface which serves as a non-moving relative point to judge the movements of objects on, I feel it's not really in the same ballpark.

We HAVE a point of reference in PES (the pitch) which has markings on it that help us see how fast the player is moving. Therefor, in PES, there is sufficient conditions to make accurate speed measurements.

With the plane in the sky, you have no reference point, so you have nothing to compare the speed to. A different ballpark IMO. If Adam was talking about planes in the sky, I would have no problems since then ALL we have is the movement relative to our eyes (no fixed pitch or surface or such to give us absolute movement).

I hope I am not coming acros as a raving lunatic from my posts, this is just an interesting discussion, nothing else. :)

Last edited:

Anyway there is a new post over at neoseeker with the guys saying that the PS3 160gb will have a slightly upgraded Wi-Fi and Bluetooth receiver. Also the PS3 will be available in both Black and Silver, come with an unamed Blu-Ray movie, demos and trailers packed onto the HDD and a voucher for 2 PSN titles for the first number of customers. Sounds quite tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom