WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WE/PES 2008 Next Gen - Discussions Thread (Last Update 09/27/07)

To gomito (aka CSaunders):

Excited about it being an overwhelming, new, breakthrough, turn-my-world-upside-down thrill? Nope.

Excited about getting my PES fix in my next-gen console? You bet.

I'm sorry if this post sounds biased, but it is not meant to be that way. Actually, the following is just a matter of taste - and I completely respect anyone who thinks otherwise, I know a couple of them.

For me, PES is like a wife: I know she'll be at home when I get there, I know more or less what I'll get, I know what she does to me, I know what I can do, and I know the "don't go there" zones. It's like a long time relationship. I reckon - and I'd be blind if I wouldn't - that it's not perfect, but for me it's the best I know.

The other footy games have always been kind of affairs: I seldom try one or the other, but even though that there are some that are more complete or give me different thrills... In the end, they just don't make it for me and don't last long. The only game that kept me out of PES in the last 10 years was LiberoGrande 1 and 2... I still have them on my PSP, I have both original games for the PSOne and I'm sad that they didn't age well...

Now you know my taste in games, so I won't even go into the FIFA's absolutely huge managerial mode, or the mode that I crave the most which is the Fantasista - or FIFA's new "Be A Pro" - because yes, I want some of that in PES. I kid you not: I felt thoroughly disappointed for not having any of it in PES this year... but, truth being told, for me its like having the wife get breast implants. It'd be nice, it'd be prettier, it'd be more fun :) But hey, as good as those side affairs are in other games, they don't give me the feeling that I get from playing PES.

I gave FIFA08 a fair chance - and most likely I'll buy it this weekend for the "Be A Pro" mode. I was really hyped, when the demo came out I played it a lot, but in the end I shamefully resorted to playing PES6 and reckoning "Hell... this game (PES6) is really dated, and it doesn't have a lot of the things that FIFA has, but... man, I just can't get enough of how this plays.". Now with the PES2008 demo I know I'm at home - which, even though it might make it easier, and I reckon that for some it's not pleasant to be able to start winning right away (JB, I'm winking at you ;) ) the truth is that it is like make up sex after being away for so long... I was playing it and thinking "Yes, that's how it never should have stopped being - for good and for worse". Yes, it is mostly the same as last year, with polish, pretty graphics and some new animations.

But one thing that I feel that is being used incorrectly here is that some people tend to say that FIFA 08's gameplay is better because PES 2008 is too easy for them, and FIFA challenges them. That is just wrong. Personally, I feel that FIFA's gameplay, even though it is a huge leap from last year's attempt, still feels a bit awkward after playing PES. The control in PES feels better, but I admit: the passes and crosses seem too fast, and the running animation looks strange, yes. On the other hand, FIFA's player turns and contact seems sluggish... My opinion, just that.

In PES, when the CPU dribbles past me, I know - and I can see - how he got through! One can just use the dpad or joystick and feint. That's what soccer feints are mostly about. In previous FIFA versions, I always had the idea that the ball was sort of "glued", and if I make the right trick at the right time, I'd make it through.

I feel happy that some people find FIFA a challenge for them - it is challenging for me too, I haven't scored that many goals yet in the Demo... But the truth is that it doesn't compel me to keep trying...

PES isn't challenging enough for me - playing with these big teams in the demo, I win 50% of the time, draw 30%, lose 20% - but it compels me to keep playing, I don't know why :)

In the end, these are all just games, don't mistake my comments for anything more than that.

And I hope that everyone will be playing the game of their choice the sooner they can - be it FIFA or PES.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

PS- I know my posts are always late, but being in the office and such, it's kind of hard to keep up with the forum's pace :P

SAVE THE PICS THEN ROTATE THEM, i'm sure someone will post proper scans later...

By ibot19

Myspace ad :lol:

9/10 :lol:

How biased is that review.

Did ThomasGoal write it.

How can the review be biased when it's one of the few videogames available on more than 4 formats?

If it was a review of Gran Turismo 5 and they gave it 10/10, then I'd understand why you'd call it bias.

Can you do a close up of the 'the first 24 hours' bit, or describe what the fourth pic is of? :)

this is my first time to post i hope its not somthing old

in the demo there this comlpetely new move other than than the c.ronlado one

in xbox 360 controlers
and in possion of the ball
while pressing the LB (cursor change button) press RB (dash button) 3times

sorry for the bad english

Can you do a close up of the 'the first 24 hours' bit, or describe what the fourth pic is of? :)

00:05 - Get in!

core your 1st goal, save replay to HDD.

01:00 - Face/Off

Explore edit modes and discover that u can import pics of faces n shirt logos.

01:45 - Train in vain

Go through training options.

03:30 - Name game

Edit all EPL teams, kits, badges etc

24:00 - ML

After you've sorted all the edit out head to the ML universe.

Cheers Tobi.... Does it say anything about online modes (2v2?)

Thanks for the scans

Cheers Tobi.... Does it say anything about online modes (2v2?)

Thanks for the scans

No mention of online modes, :shock:

Shirt pull = R1 + X

I've spotted an IGN.COM adboard.

Cheers that makes me think this review is not of the retail copy. Probably the game wont change, but i'm hoping the online side of things is being worked on until the last day...... then hopefully 2v2 returns..... even if it was a patch like the Live one last year....

I think it is the final copy, they just didn't get to test the online modes, it does happen from time to time especially with mags.

Yeah maybe.... I've heard of mags doing reviews off 99% code too... I'm just living in hope that online is sorted and 2v2 is in..... :-)

I think they should rephrase

"there is no other other game on the PS3 that you are guaranteed to still be playing obsessively this time next year" with

"there is no other game to play on the PS3 for a year"

"there is no other other game on the PS3 that you are guaranteed to still be playing obsessively this time next year" with

:nono:

What does it say for the lookup cross? Hard to see... ;)

Hold :l1: + :r1: and then press O - your winger will look into the box like a catalogue model posing with a watch on hillside. The resulting cross is slighty more accurate.

wow, ur an idiot, congrats :applause:

wow, ur an idiot, congrats :applause:

Sorry i forgot about the dragons.....

P.S.
it is still amazing that when you make a little joke people get so nervous....well i guess when you touch a nerve that's what you get.

Last edited:

Hold :l1: + :r1: and then press O - your winger will look into the box like a catalogue model posing with a watch on hillside. The resulting cross is slighty more accurate.

Not so comfortable :)

reading the first paragraph explains alot in OPM. And why im pissed and dissapointed. I want a next gen expereince. this isnt it.

1 - 8 players ? PS3 it's only 7 controllers or you can invite a online player ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom