UFL [All Platforms]

Our approach to UFL would be different if the developers said "hey, we want to work with you to create the best soccer game with classic offline modes and classic online divisions", while they are aiming for an f2p game that is the equivalent of EA FC and eFootball, while doing it's even worse, so it's hard for us to feel that "we are in this together." More like "it's your problem, keep trying". Personally, I want offline modes, if I wanted to play the equivalent of Ultimate Team, I would just play eFootball. UFL is being created to be another machine for making money from microtransactions. They would have to be better than EA and KONAMI to break through, but as you can see, it is difficult to even match them.

I agree with everything you said above, but your original argument was different. You were saying that expectations are too high to make a realistic football game. Unless I misunderstood.
I thought you meant expectations from us - fans. Maybe you meant expectations from the bosses to make certain amount of profit - in that case - yeah, true.
Unless we get passionate indie developers, who care less about profit and more about creating what they love - we're bolloxed.
Oh yeah I think maybe our expectations are high and we expect a new IP to have a sophisticated standard, We got dozens of football games on the PS1 because they were simple products of their time, once ISS and PES took off, we realised football games could be varied deep and dynamic, we got fewer football IPs on the PS2 and then it was only really PES & FIFA beyond because they already had the talent, expertise and infrastructure to build upon their games. In recent years we've seen a couple of indie football games but in fairness they are primitive and aren't has deep and I think the reality is a huge undertaking to make a new football game that can match the standards of mid 2010's PES and FIFA.

Personally speaking I'd love to see more devs try and i'm not overly picky personally as I can enjoy the retro football games so I'm sure I could enjoy modest new ones, but the sad thing is, games like UFL seem to be creating addictive gambling machine first and good football game second and sadly I think that's just the culture that's here to stay until the world ends.

Oh yeah I think maybe our expectations are high and we expect a new IP to have a sophisticated standard, We got dozens of football games on the PS1 because they were simple products of their time, once ISS and PES took off, we realised football games could be varied deep and dynamic, we got fewer football IPs on the PS2 and then it was only really PES & FIFA beyond because they already had the talent, expertise and infrastructure to build upon their games. In recent years we've seen a couple of indie football games but in fairness they are primitive and aren't has deep and I think the reality is a huge undertaking to make a new football game that can match the standards of mid 2010's PES and FIFA.

Personally speaking I'd love to see more devs try and i'm not overly picky personally as I can enjoy the retro football games so I'm sure I could enjoy modest new ones, but the sad thing is, games like UFL seem to be creating addictive gambling machine first and good football game second and sadly I think that's just the culture that's here to stay until the world ends.
Well said

Since the release of the Super Star Soccer Franchise in the 90's, it was clear to me that there were only two companies battleing for that piece of market.

With the move from Konami creating the most revilutionary football Franchise ever, the Winning Eleven, further changing its name to give a more westernized look, the "PRO Evolution Soccer", Konami estblashied themselves as king of the market.

In PS3/360 era tho, Konami shoot themselves in the foot for believing that their excelent position on the market, despite having a lot lower exclusive deals for licenses, was enough so they didnt invest in technology. All the while, the advancement on Fifa franchise was claro as Day.

But despite that Huge progress from EA, lets be honest, Fifa never really had that Magical touch of the Classic ProEvo/Winning Eleve games.

Konami initially treid to make a good come back moving to Fox Engine, and despite some of its advancement, for me at least they never got that PES essence and quality, both in gameplay experience and in between modes (the Classic manter league of instance).

Currently, despite the High tech advancements, both companies have stagnized if not regressed, even ethically I would say, taking advantage of vicious kids who are willing to spend huge amount of money on a pathetic online mode with a gameplay experience that doesnt ressemble real football in a slightest

With this tragic current scenario, we know that having a third game was something that we all wish for for a long time.

Now, what we do? Should we really bash the team behund UFL and their game in case this doesnt fulfill our desires?

As real football fans, we have nothing left other than welcoming the team Behind UFL and do our part to support them on improving the game wich is what a beta test is all about

Theres a lot of risk envolved in creating New IPs, let alone on sports genre.

Its a a first atrempt from a New team of developers with limited resources. Lets do our best to support them and give the right feedback

Sorry for the long post.

I will try it, and highly doubt I will disappointed, because I expect it to be utterly dreadful
You will not be disappointed. ;)

Just watching a "creator" playing it now. Not sure why they are called creators, as I don't see any creativity or creating, just shouting and the same tired ideas. Anyway...

The ball speed and movement is inexplicably mental, I wanted to give an analogy, but I can't think of what you'd have to be kicking for something to move like it does. It's laser guided passes, that move at the speed of a laser. Ball physics needs real work.

If they slowed down EVERYTHING by like 75% you have the basis for a half decent game, even then needs so much work to be considered as a viable alternative to EF or EAFC. And I think those games are trash, but they are far more polished.

The animations are fine, graphically OK, I like the general player positioning and how your team-mates make decent runs for you. Massive bugbear of mine when on FIFA I had to tell my team-mates when and where to run, or they'd offer barely any decent runs. Not sure on the shooting, seems to lack any punch.

Last edited:
I will definitely try that. Nevertheless, I expect another disappointment :(
Yeah, I am with you on this. It's indeed a huge task for any devs to jump into the realm, big money sink in development the system foundation and all the licensing within the football world, espeically with EA still the big money spender here. But imo we need to keep giving these devs shots so they know there's a market here waiting eagerly for something better.

had a look at it, it looks nice but the ball physic and the gameplay still needs work
also a simple thing but they should make the fabrics of the uniform less shiny, add some roughness maybe ? it looks the players are wearing plastic.

Just played first game, gotta say I don't completely hate it, but I expected to. Does some things well, good off ball runs from AI, I like that you CAN'T just hold sprint when defending or attacking, as you will be punished and lose the ball or defensive position quickly. Good skill gap. Promising. In time can iron out very weird ball and body/contact physics.

I played a game earlier and honestly it was better than I was expecting. There's some nice animations and compared to FC24 there's some decent weight and inertia and little skating.

There's some things that aren't clear such as a super cancel or pressing, But I've only had one game so I'll explore more later.

Been playing most of the afternoon & it's already full of tricksters constantly ball rolling their way to the edge of the box & finesse shot finishing. It reminds of PS3 FIFA in the worst possible way. There's occasionally some nice passages of play but this is a million miles away from being a half decent current gen football game sadly.

Haven't tested it myself because I haven't got PS or Xbox. But based on the videos I have seen, it's much more interesting than EAFC 24's skating players.
There are some really big issues with the speed of ball. Some passes look like taken from a pinball game. It has much more movements than what I would have expected. Also, it needs a bit more of randomness in shooting, because some of the shots look goalkeeper-directed.

It's a good beta game. I would improve nets, ball physics, add more passing animations, some better shots (and release a beta for PC).

My newly released football game checklist (let's see how many apply to this game) :

-Has fouls
- Shouldn't be able to run in a straight line through the middle and get into the box (midfield battle)
- Shouldn't be able to run in a straight line down the side and cross
- Midfielders track back instead of the atk vs defence NBA style gameplay
- No Catch up bug (Stats based)
- GK not glued to their line when one on one
- Variety in goals and attack patterns
- What happens when the ball is loose or cleared off a corner for example, In terms of players running away from it or it's scripted to fall into a certain player
- Shooting has to be varied and can hit anywhere in the goal instead of the usual FIFA and PES crap where they're all identical shots
- Off the ball runs are important, Instead of having 9 wooden players standing waiting for me to move them

After that I will bother looking into faces,kits,licences...bla bla

The main issue I have so far is that when your player receives the ball, they automatically turn and face a certain direction so I have no control over how I receive the ball. I don't always want to turn and face goal ffs.

Also, has anybody been able to pull off a first time pass? It seems like the players MUST take a touch.

Also, has anybody seen any headers or fouls on this so far?

My newly released football game checklist (let's see how many apply to this game) :

-Has fouls
- Shouldn't be able to run in a straight line through the middle and get into the box (midfield battle)
- Shouldn't be able to run in a straight line down the side and cross
- Midfielders track back instead of the atk vs defence NBA style gameplay
- No Catch up bug (Stats based)
- GK not glued to their line when one on one
- Variety in goals and attack patterns
- What happens when the ball is loose or cleared off a corner for example, In terms of players running away from it or it's scripted to fall into a certain player
- Shooting has to be varied and can hit anywhere in the goal instead of the usual FIFA and PES crap where they're all identical shots
- Off the ball runs are important, Instead of having 9 wooden players standing waiting for me to move them

After that I will bother looking into faces,kits,licences...bla bla
Nice checklist, which game passes this checklist most successfully then?

Nice checklist, which game passes this checklist most successfully then?

Don't wanna derail this thread

FIFA 18 (full manual) and PES 5 are the most balanced games ever imho

Good luck to UFL if they're trying to create a genuine simulation video game rather than a gambling scam like FIFA and PES nowadays

I hadn't followed any news about this game because I had extremely low expectations from it. Another FUT game, arcady stuff. However, the good thing about lowest expectations is that you can't be so disappointed. Its better than I expected, not the greatest but the animations are better than in fifa (and no 6-7 scorelines at least yet).
Wish there was offline mode to see AI. also wish passes were slower, same as shots, I saw a bullet shot that couldve killed someone. More enjoyable offline experience than the last time i played efootball. Im sure ill find more negative things the more i play, but because its something new its ok.
It sometimes feels rigid... I feel like Im playing a FIFA game from 10 years ago, which is not bad but wish it was more.

Also, has anybody seen any headers or fouls on this so far?

50% of my goals and the ones received have been headers from corner kicks. At first I thought they were overpowered or maybe my 50 rated keeper and defense is just trash. any fouls so far have been from sliding tackles, standing tackle foul I havent seen.

Last edited:
I'm not as disappointed as I expected to be. I'd play it all day long over anything FIFA 20 - EAFC 24 but it plays like a mobile version (on console) in it's feel. I know it's taken forever to develop but at least it's some competition for EA (not significantly) and Konami to hopefully get them to put in the effort to not lose their lottbox revenue to UFL which you know will be their biggest motivator. For a BETA, there's definitely hope and with the feedback, analytics, etc. hopefully they'll provide a stable game quicker than Konami did with the eFootball experiment.

Back
Top Bottom