UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

So,first Schalke goal,Uchida handled the ball.
Second Schalke goal,where the heck were the CB's?
Third Schalke goal,facepalm.

First PAOK goal,OK that was good.
Second PAOK goal,wow.
Third PAOK goal,NOT.

Both that μοσχαροκεφαλή Lucas and Stoch missed the unmissable (Lucas just after the Draxler goal!). A bit after our 2nd goal,there was a foul just outside the box that wasn't seen by the ref.The definition of a foul there.

So,unlucky,maybe.But did we deserve to progress?As much as the Germans.

I think it's a bit harsh to blame Stoch, he looked like PAOKs best player over the two matches and the only one who was a constant threat to Schalke. In some ways PAOK were unlucky, but they really should have pressurised Schalke more when it was 2-2 and the Germans had a man sent off. The first leg was a great result for PAOK but they blew it at home. I think of the three teams involved in this tie before the banning (Metalist, PAOK and Schalke) Metalist were the best by some distance and PAOK and Schalke were fiarly even - Schalke's defence seems surprisingly bad given they have strong physical players like Santana and Hoewedes.

So,first Schalke goal,Uchida handled the ball.
Second Schalke goal,where the heck were the CB's?
Third Schalke goal,facepalm.

First PAOK goal,OK that was good.
Second PAOK goal,wow.
Third PAOK goal,NOT.

Both that μοσχαροκεφαλή Lucas and Stoch missed the unmissable (Lucas just after the Draxler goal!). A bit after our 2nd goal,there was a foul just outside the box that wasn't seen by the ref.The definition of a foul there.

So,unlucky,maybe.But did we deserve to progress?As much as the Germans.

I would say neither Schalke or PAOK deserved proceeding into CL. Absolutely poor games. I am still shocked by Schalke's perfomance since beginning of this season.

At the first goal there might be a handled ball by Uchida.
They showed it several times, but it was no clear view on it, but I also think he had touched it aswell with his chest and partially with his arm.
So PAOK was indeed unlucky.

When it comes to Uchidas foul you mentioned, there was also a clear foul by Kace comitted to Farfan in first game in the box. The referee also did not whistle and Farfan had to be substituted due to the inury as the result of this obvious foul.
So this is equal in the end.

But as I mentioned, normally even Schalke had not deserved to go through due to their performance - it was really a shame. :(

The good news for PAOK at least is they are directly qualified for Euro-League. I wish you the best for the groupstage. I hope you can qualify for KO-stage. I really like PAOK, not only for having our trainer of the century sitting on your bench. :D
I hope both teams will present each other better on the following internation games. ;)

I forgot to say that I´m Michel Platini :APPLAUD:
:D :D :D

Last edited:
Yesterday Dinamo won 2:3 against Austria Wien, but we lost 0:2 at home game so we will play in EL. Maybe it's better for us because we will be in 2nd draw pot and probably can do good result in group stage and maybe something in knockout stage.
I am very proud because Dinamo players played great match after 0:2 loss at home. The only mistake was by Leko who didnt shoot the ball out from our area and from that mistake we take goal for 2:3 and that result lead Austria in CL.
Full highlights:
http://www.footytube.com/video/fk-austria-wien-nk-dinamo-zagreb-aug27-200474

Yeah I watched the second half of that game too, it's a pity because Dinamo had really improved in terms of performances in the CL over the last 2 years. Also last night they looked very good in Vienna and their attack just couldnt be stopped by Austria Vienna. They screwed up totally in the first leg (in Zagreb) and if you lose 2-0 at home it means you have to score at least 3 away but really going for the win means you leave yourself open. I think they could do fairly well in the Europa League.

Group A
Man. United
Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Real Sociedad
Group B
Real Madrid
Juventus
Galatasaray A.S.
FC Kobehavn
Group C
Benfica
Paris Saint-Germain
Olympiacos FC
RSC Anderlecht
Group D
Bayern M.
CSKA Moscow
Manchester City FC
FC Viktoria Plzen
Group E
Chelsea
Schalke 04
FC Basel 1893
FC Steaua Bucuresti
Group F
Arsenal
Marseille
Borussia Dortmund
SSC Napoli
Group G
FC Porto
Club Atletico de Madrid
Zenit FC
FK Austria Wien
Group H
Barcelona
AC Milan
AFC Ajax
Celtic FC

Marseille, Arsenal and Dortmund all in the same group again just like 2 years ago!!
Now Napoli is there too! That is certainly the group of death and by far the most exciting in my opinion!

Not thrilled about Milan and Barca in same group again and Bayern and Man City in same group again as well though.

Porto and Atletico were in same group as well 2 years ago I think.

All in all though, looking forward to CL. Some groups are much easier to predict than others.

groups of death are A & F,
easiest one is chelsea's group and then group C, imo.

Last edited:
Group D

Oh, a five-time winner of the Champions Cup, one of the leaders of EPL and the Czech sturdy "black horse" - "excellent" group for CSKA Moscow. :D However, I believe that our champion will fight any of these teams, good luck CSKA, waiting you in play-offs of CL. ;)

Group G

In my opinion, it's a good draw for Zenit, the teams are growing stronger, but passable. Good luck Zenit, as always with you. :BSCARF:

Goodbye Plzen :( no chance to get into EL in my opinion :(
Do not worry, mate, I think, in this group, you can still count at least on Europa League. ;)

Last edited:
Group C is the weakest in my opinion.

Yeah I agree, Benfica are a good side, but they were the lowest ranked pot 1 team. PSG are a pretty strong 2nd pot team. Olympiacos used to be an ok team in the days of Djorjevic, but now they're garbage in Europe, the squad is made up of key players well into their 30s (Carroll, Ibagaza, Saviola, Fuster - players in their prime 5-10 years ago) Weiss is their only CL level player under 25. Anderlecht are a medium level 4th pot team, they could take points of the other teams in Brussells but I think 3rd would be a good achievment for them.

I think Benfica and PSG will be glad to be in this group.

My predictions for this years groups (no analysis, just group positions:
Group A:
Man. United
Shakhtar Donetsk
Real Sociedad
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Group B:
Real Madrid
Juventus
Galatasaray A.S.
FC Kobehavn

Group C:
Benfica
Paris Saint-Germain
RSC Anderlecht
Olympiacos FC

Group D:
Bayern M.
Manchester City FC
CSKA Moscow
FC Viktoria Plzen

Group E:
Chelsea
FC Basel 1893
Schalke 04
FC Steaua Bucuresti

Group F:
Borussia Dortmund
Arsenal
SSC Napoli
Marseille

Group G:
Club Atletico de Madrid
FC Porto

Zenit FC
FK Austria Wien

Group H:
Barcelona
Celtic FC
AC Milan
AFC Ajax

real madrid played absolutely nothing until the first goal. gs players completely lost their focus after that. it's really a shame what are happening to galatasaray now.

Paris scoring 3 out of 4 goals from corners, what the hell is wrong with Olympiacos defence? Ah, they have Medjani....never mind.

Paris scoring 3 out of 4 goals from corners, what the hell is wrong with Olympiacos defence? Ah, they have Medjani....never mind.
:p
Well, actually my team surprised me tonight! I have never ever seen us play as well as we played in the first half!! It was unbelievable! High pressing, short quick passing... No, that's not Olympiakos, that was some other team that wore our shirts! Normally we don't play quality football, but crap, but.. I can't explain that. We were almost perfect (almost because of the goal we conceded). Attempts were 10 for us and 1! for PSG.
BUT, I think it's understandable that because we don't play like that in the league (well, we never play like that in general), the players were extremely tired in the second half. This + our crappy defense led to a corner goal (the 1-2) which demotivated our players and let them play with a combination of fatigue and disappointment (and always crappy defense) for the rest of the game.
Aside from the 3 corner goals which was funny :p, I'm happy because I really liked what I've seen in the 1st half, even if it doesn't matter because football is 2 halves and not 1, and even if we lost, because I've seen that we are capable of playing some football and not just long balls from the defence to the offence. Plus, I never expected us to finish above 4th position this year (let alone beat PSG), so I don't really care :D.

ps. I was happy that Weiss scored that kind of goal against a defender like Thiago Silva.
ps2. You can watch highlights here: http://www.novasports.gr/LiveWebTV....etypeid=2&mediafileid=394667&tabid=categories but I don't know if it's only for Greece based viewers.

Agree for the most part, I was actually surprised to see Fuster staring over Campbell....guess the coach made the right choice this time.

Back
Top Bottom