UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

Clearly not everyone is "smart behind computer" as you put it, I noticed you made some pretty dumb points about gay people and it being a personal choice.

Anyway, I'm done throwing stones as one of us obviously has to be the grown up around here or this will just continue. Feel free to hate me, I honestly don't give a shit.

FYI, just as a courtesy I'll throw in a piece of advice to all of you; If you spend more than one hour computer gaming every day your grades will drop. This is statistically proven, although it's not clear whether the computer actually makes you dumb or if it's the fact that those people who actually play computer games tend to play a lot more than one hour and don't prioritize school work as a result. I'm betting on the latter but you never know. There are indicators even on this very site that could support an empiric study of the first hypothesis as well...

Last edited:
What with all the banning stick waving about :LOL: I think Ronaldo was missing throughout the match ,but not the tournament . He should of had a penalty ,when his free kick hit Gabi`s flying elbow :P in the box ,his shirt taken off display would of been better at that moment. Its never to late too flex whether it was 2-1 , or 4-1 .

people also missing that gabi tripped him in the penalty incident, because I saw some saying he dived (not here though). guess it's due to the ref booking the wrong man(godin).

here you go
article-2638462-1E2E873500000578-454_634x565.jpg

Congratz to Real.
In the end they clearly deserved it. Since second half RM was the only team that played well. Felt sorry for Atletico.
Costa in starting eleven was a big mistake.

And when it comes to Ronaldo: Once again he was invisible during an important match. First I thought the celebration of Marcelo was ridiculous, because Ramos and Bale scored the important and winning goals.
Shame on Ronaldo for not celebrating of any other goal of his teammates but only his penalty. The celebrations was ten times mor ridiculous than the one from Marcelo.
But he is still one of the best strikers in history and very skillful.
Respect aswell for his record in scoing goals in one CL season.

I have read a lot of times that he is a very nice person in private, but his behaviour on the pitch a lot of times is lacking respect aswell for the opponents and aswell for his teammates. Just have a look how he was "celebrating" the winning goal by Bale - ridiculous as hell. You can easily think he hates all players that score instead of himself... ;)

It would be nice if he would also take part in celebrating the success of his teammates. If he would do so, he would be a much greater player than he already is due to his skillz.

Shame on Ronaldo for not celebrating of any other goal of his teammates but only his penalty. The celebrations was ten times mor ridiculous than the one from Marcelo.
But he is still one of the best strikers in history and very skillful.
Respect aswell for his record in scoing goals in one CL season.

I have read a lot of times that he is a very nice person in private, but his behaviour on the pitch a lot of times is lacking respect aswell for the opponents and aswell for his teammates. Just have a look how he was "celebrating" the winning goal by Bale - ridiculous as hell. You can easily think he hates all players that score instead of himself... ;)

It would be nice if he would also take part in celebrating the success of his teammates. If he would do so, he would be a much greater player than he already is due to his skillz.

This is exactly the lack of respect I was talking about. Celebrating this goal like this is childish, but this guy needs to be the focus all the time.

After Marcelo scored the third goal, in the 118 minute, with the final settled, Cristiano took the ball on the sideline and started doing bycicles and silly tricks. To do this against an opponent that is absolutely beaten (and has 1/4 of your budget and his 3 best players out to injuries), in the 118th minute, is absolutely ridiculous and classless.

There's a line between being competitive and being an idiot. And this guy crosses the line too often.

On the other side, I'm glad for Di Maria, Iker and Ramos, who had to swallow a lot during the season and proved they were the most crucial players of the team in the important stages of the competition.

how did Iker prove anything besides that he's past it? agreed on the other two though, particularly Ramos who basically won the cup for Real if you also count the brace that killed Bayern :D

how did Iker prove anything besides that he's past it? agreed on the other two though, particularly Ramos who basically won the cup for Real if you also count the brace that killed Bayern :D

Iker failed but he is not past. Every goal keeper fail. He prove he is still one of the bests playing very well in the Champions League, in general. Everybody fails sometimes...

You obiviously haven't seen a lot of Iker then, he's always been shaky in the air (like most Spanish keepers actually) One mistake and he's past it, lol.

Last edited:
Ronaldo didn't play well at all, however he was the one who tracked back which led to Madrids 2nd.

Iker did only one mistake in the whole Champions League. Yes, in the final, and yes, probably could have costed them the trophy. But Courtois is an excellent goalkeeper and also had a mistake in the final. Mistakes happen. The important thing is the average of your performance, and Iker did a splendid tournament.

Di Maria, though, is probably the MVP to me for Real this season.

Today i made my son's day...i was in Bilzen with a customer who has become a friend...Bilzen is the village of Courtois and my son will have a signed Courtois shirt, one that he actually played with.

It turns out that my friend's son went to the same school as the Racing Genk youth players...

Every where in Bilzen there were Courtois posters and the shop windows were done in Atletico colours...very strange, but nice to see...

Iker did only one mistake in the whole Champions League. Yes, in the final, and yes, probably could have costed them the trophy. But Courtois is an excellent goalkeeper and also had a mistake in the final. Mistakes happen. The important thing is the average of your performance, and Iker did a splendid tournament.

Di Maria, though, is probably the MVP to me for Real this season.

I agree with you about Casillas but you can't say Di Maria was the best player this season. He is a brilliant player, but you can't compare him to Ronaldo! For me, Di Maria is underrated but, for god sake, Ronaldo was the best player in the world this season, so far!

Di María or Modric for thst matter had a way better season than Cris did. He was brilliant, yes, but not as vital as the other two players I mentioned.

How can you say that? I am not a Ronaldo fan but if wasn't he, Real would never be the Champions League champion!

How can you say that? I am not a Ronaldo fan but if wasn't he, Real would never be the Champions League champion!

I disagree about that. Ronaldo is a great finisher and a great athlete and someone you can count on, but the players that have broken the important matches have been Di Maria, Ramos and Bale, with the help of Modric.

Would Real be Champion without Cristiano? In my oppinion they could perfectly win. Without Ramos and Di Maria? No way. I'm talking about the Champions League, not the whole season, and sometimes statistics tell only a part of the story.

Goals are overrated. Yes, I know it sounds silly. But this season, for example, Messi has scored 40 goals and has been one of the worse players for the team in the last 3 months. Cristiano and Messi are so good that even in their worse moments they can score aplenty. But what really makes a team stand out are the people who break the first lines of pressure, the ones that create the danger and the ones who can avoid it. To this respect, I think Ramos and Di Maria were by far the best players of Real.

I disagree about that. Ronaldo is a great finisher and a great athlete and someone you can count on, but the players that have broken the important matches have been Di Maria, Ramos and Bale, with the help of Modric.

Would Real be Champion without Cristiano? In my oppinion they could perfectly win. Without Ramos and Di Maria? No way. I'm talking about the Champions League, not the whole season, and sometimes statistics tell only a part of the story.

Goals are overrated. Yes, I know it sounds silly. But this season, for example, Messi has scored 40 goals and has been one of the worse players for the team in the last 3 months. Cristiano and Messi are so good that even in their worse moments they can score aplenty. But what really makes a team stand out are the people who break the first lines of pressure, the ones that create the danger and the ones who can avoid it. To this respect, I think Ramos and Di Maria were by far the best players of Real.

What you said is right man, but players like Ronaldo in my opinion, even in bad moments can make the difference and score in crucial moments.

Di Maria, Modric, Bale were so so so important but Ronaldo is the best player in the world and you are underrating him. Clearly not in the final, but in the others crucial moments he was there and he decided (of course with the very very important help of Di Maria, Modric...)

But, well, it's your opinion and I will respect it. It's useless we being here saying the same things for hours. I got your point and you got mine (I think) :)

I just rewatched the game, now with no stress ..

about the +5, it was totally justified, 5 substitutions = 2 mins (Marcelo & Isco in one sub), before the free cick by Ronaldo when Miranda was booked, there was nearly 1m40s or more, before the end of the 90 mins, Godin (I think) was on the ground for nearly a minute , plus, the usual wasted time, which is clearly more than a minute. Do the Math.

and even the goal was exactly at 92:48.

about who deserved to win, ATM just deserved to not-lose in the 90 minutes, and they got what they deserved. Fair enough for them.
in fact, even in first half, they weren't the better side.

the rest, needless to remind who was the hugely dominant side.

so all this drama, is just due to the bias.

I think it was not fair because, taking the final off, Atlético was the best team in Europe this year... But, this is football. The best doesn't always win...

best team in Europe???!!!

that's too much ...

yes they were solid and consistent during the season, but, best?

in what?

if you speak attack? not the best.
defense? neither.
playstyle? good and organised but not pleasing and not even deadly, they had always to play according to their limits, they're not creative, nor dominant ..

if you speak results, they're the 2nd best team in Europe.
if you speak playing and "force", they come third after RM & Bayern, or even fourth after BVB (who are better than Atletico in every aspect, even with injuries, they just got in the way of the best)..

please put your noble romantic sympathy for the underdogs aside and just be more realistic.

Don't think they were the best team in Europe. Real thoroughly deserved the Champions League this season. They went trough quite a tough group and smashed both finalists of last season. I don't see Atlético dominating Bayern like Real did. Atlético had an easier group imo and their route to the final was a bit easier. Milan were laughably bad and Barça weren't in their best shape at all. The only time Atlético looked like they were the best in Europe was after they equalized against Chelsea at the Bridge.

spot on, damjan. agree with everything you said, especially to the last sentence but let's not forget that real actually had a scary night at westfalen (oh wait, they were without ronaldo then, weren't they?).

Quite clearly Atletico were the best team in LL.

They were also a last minute header away from winning the CL and without their strikers.

Do they have the highest top level in europe? no, I don't think so but cup competitions are less reliable than leagues when determining who is the best.

really? chelsea beat you and liverpool in both games in pl but finished just behind. imo, the cup format makes more sense to determine the best. not the second or the third or the fourth, but for the best it's the right way. league format is like an endurance race.

Last edited:
No because everyone plays everyone. And the more games there are the more reliable the results are.

The fact that Chelsea beat us twice shows how one off games aren't as reliable.

best team in Europe???!!!

that's too much ...

yes they were solid and consistent during the season, but, best?

in what?

if you speak attack? not the best.
defense? neither.
playstyle? good and organised but not pleasing and not even deadly, they had always to play according to their limits, they're not creative, nor dominant ..

if you speak results, they're the 2nd best team in Europe.
if you speak playing and "force", they come third after RM & Bayern, or even fourth after BVB (who are better than Atletico in every aspect, even with injuries, they just got in the way of the best)..

please put your noble romantic sympathy for the underdogs aside and just be more realistic.

How can you tell that BVB made a better season than Atletico? For god sake, they win nothing! And Madrid? Well, Atlético finish La Liga on 1st place and Madrid didn't. Every weekend, during the whole season, they played in that competition and the result was Atlético on 1st place. I am talking about a whole season, not about the last months or the CL matches. Madrid was the best team in the Champions League, but looking at the whole season they weren't...

Last edited:
No because everyone plays everyone. And the more games there are the more reliable the results are.

The fact that Chelsea beat us twice shows how one off games aren't as reliable.

how would you determine the better of two teams? looking at their head to head results or looking at their results against other teams? clearly the first one makes sense. simple logic. and chelsea beat you home and away. not just a one off.

Back
Top Bottom