UEFA Champions League 2013/2014

It's not about winning, if we get there we'll win it (not a single doubt in my mind).
The thing is, I like Carlo and I'm also very fond of RM. A final involving the two clubs I like the most is a loose-loose situation for me, I don't wat us to take away La décima.

It's not about winning, if we get there we'll win it not a single doubt in my mind.
The thing is, I like Carlo and I'm also very fond of RM. A final involving the two clubs I like the most is a loose-loose situation for me, I don't wat us to take away La décima.

I hate RM so it's ok by me
but it's only football right?
what if A Madrid will take the La décima? it will be even harder for you right?

I don't wanna sound like that guy that goes against everything, but I will anyway :P Even though I will try to make a point.

But that win does not impresses me at all, lets not forget the first two goals basically came from 'corners'. After that it was all too easy.

Defending & Counter-attacking was always beautiful and I know it requires skill.

But from a few years I've been noticing this, ball possession became a huge pressure. Being an underdog has never felt so good.

I don't wanna take anything from Real at all, as a matter of fact, I think they will suffer that ball possession pressure on the finals too, no matter who they face. They faced it the whole season actually.

The point I wanna make is football is hitting a physical peak, at least for current rules.

Everybody runs more and are quicker now, and pitches are 105-68 meters, I remember here in Brazil we had 110-75m pitches back in the day and matches were just better to watch, depending on your point of view of course.

But I'm noticing it is becoming too easy to close out on players, and most opening goals are corners and/or free-kicks.

Offense isn't as affected as defense when it comes to speed. Although these world class teams have brilliant technique with incredible quickness, but I still see a defensive advantage.

I'm probably over analyzing this game, even though I've been seeing games like these all time in all levels and I didn't considered just this match to my theory.

Not saying is not fun to watch, I mean the tension of the football game has elevated a lot as well. But tension is just not my thing. Football is feeling like it has the golden goal rule for the 90 minutes, one mistake you are doomed.

I don't wanna sound like that guy that goes against everything, but I will anyway :P Even though I will try to make a point.

But that win does not impresses me at all, lets not forget the first two goals basically came from 'corners'. After that it was all too easy.

Defending & Counter-attacking was always beautiful and I know it requires skill.

But from a few years I've been noticing this, ball possession became a huge pressure. Being an underdog has never felt so good.

I don't wanna take anything from Real at all, as a matter of fact, I think they will suffer that ball possession pressure on the finals too, no matter who they face. They faced it the whole season actually.

The point I wanna make is football is hitting a physical peak, at least for current rules.

Everybody runs more and are quicker now, and pitches are 105-68 meters, I remember here in Brazil we had 110-75m pitches back in the day and matches were just better to watch, depending on your point of view of course.

But I'm noticing it is becoming too easy to close out on players, and most opening goals are corners and/or free-kicks.

Offense isn't as affected as defense when it comes to speed. Although these world class teams have brilliant technique with incredible quickness, but I still see a defensive advantage.

I'm probably over analyzing this game, even though I've been seeing games like these all time in all levels and I didn't considered just this match to my theory.

Not saying is not fun to watch, I mean the tension of the football game has elevated a lot as well. But tension is just not my thing. Football is feeling like it has the golden goal rule for the 90 minutes, one mistake you are doomed.

you said it man +1000

Despite the extreme possession system been put to test on three occasions, two of them pretty embarrassing (Barça last season and now Bayern), I still believe in it's merits. But come on Guardiola you have to put a B plan in check. I understand that in Barcelona is difficult to play a direct style of play, because of the lack of size of the players. But in Bayern, that it's completely non-sense. They have tone of taller, physical players. Look at last season. Bayern were the best because they had three or four styles of play, depending on the opponent. They could play with 2 strikers, counter, deep possession, long ball. They had it all. Now, with a better squad they cannot do that as well?

Plus, the lack of intensity in the last month or so is appalling. The coach is too blame. Ribéry played so poorly in both matches. Guardiola didn't had the courage to leave him out. Götze play about 30/40 minutes in both games and was the player with more chances to score. He should have played instead of Ribéry.
The trademark of a great coach is it capability to adapt to everything. That's what makes Ferguson and Mourinho so great. The amount of systems that they played in is remarkable. Guardiola if he does not have a re-think on what he is doing we will probably end up like Erikson, Capello, Van Gaal, great coaches in certain periods of time, marked an era, but failed to be dominant when "theirs football" start to became obsolete.

Yes, Guardiola needs to think about that. He have to respect his ideias and put his teams playing in possession style, but he has to look at the players of the team he is training and see what's better. In Barcelona, this style worked really well but he tried to put Bayern playing exactly the same way. It has to change some things according to the players he have. So, clearly Bayern players can not play exactly the way Barcelona played because they can't create danger so Guardiola must change some things. I think these players need to play a more direct football and risk a bit more.

But I repeat: of course Guardiola must keep his essential ideias...

why did he do that? probably carvajal shut him off all the game? carvajal and coentrao are awesome defenders for attacking fullbacks.

you guys would laugh at it but I overslept and missed the whole game. :CRY:

oh and btw hello @we7god #548 :BYE:

Last edited:
48917113.jpg

Just a little joke now, I might write something constructive tomorrow when emotions cool down a bit as I am really overjoyed now

but you got the one that matters. this must have been an amazing game to watch for a madridista.

so, guardiola the new rijkaard? :)

anyone saw this shamefull disgusting act?
I really didn't expect Ribéry to be that dick

Really? He is dirty and a dick, I though everyone knew it.

Bayern could easily have beaten United and RM and the others, they still have the best squad, but you know, Guardiola and that gay football style happened, and now that Bayern is no more.

They really didn't deserved even to be in the semi-finals playing like that, well, I really hope Atletico can beat RM in the final now :P

Would you care to explain what a "gay football style" is? Because "gay" means "carefree" and what I saw tonight was far from "carefree" from Bayern.

The term was originally used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy". -wiki

Alternatively you could be trying to say that Bayerns football style is homosexual but that wouldn't make sense at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3cuCEt9k8
Bayern doesn't look anything like this and ballet isn't "homosexual" even though rumors say that many (male) ballet performers prefer sex with the same gender...

Last edited:
What? It's an awesome style. What's happening is that Guardiola are not being very sucessfull using that kind of game in Bayern. He cannot change is essencial ideias about possession game, but he must change some stuff according to the kind of players he have. That is not Barcelona, so they will never play well while they are trying to play exactly like Barcelona...

that ref died too :( he died from a internal sickness *politically correct.

It's not about political correctness on my part. It's about making sense. I would strongly agree if he had called Bayerns/Pep's style "retarded".

informal offensive
very foolish or stupid. - google

It could also indicate "slow" which definitely fits. We use words to transfer qualities all the time, for example; "her neck was long and swan-like and her hair curled down in waves. Her socially retarded boyfriend started kissing her gently along her long neck... etc". So if one of them is offensive, all of them are. The swan and waves never did the woman or the writer (in this case me) anything and should not have to endure being used to describe her. Oh wait... see what I did there?

Anyway, I was thinking of cohesion rather than political correctness. I don't care about political correctness because it's a shallow way to pretend you're on the high road.

Regarding CL, it would be fantastic if Atlético Madrid could grab the trophy at the expense of Real Madrid but if the final is between those teams I fear Real would win out of habit.

Last edited:
What? It's an awesome style. What's happening is that Guardiola are not being very sucessfull using that kind of game in Bayern. He cannot change is essencial ideias about possession game, but he must change some stuff according to the kind of players he have. That is not Barcelona, so they will never play well while they are trying to play exactly like Barcelona...

But Bayern won the league breaking all records, and hadn't lost a single game until last month with his football.

After losing to a very organised Madrid side over two legs, everyone seems to think his style doesn't work.

After losing to a very organised Madrid side over two legs, everyone seems to think his style doesn't work.

There's a significant gap between "doesn't work" and "need a plan B". If Guardiola's teams had a distinctly different plan B that could surprise opponents from time to time it wouldn't be so simple (note that "simple" does not mean "easy") to prepare for matches against them. Having one main style that works most of the time due to the quality of the players actually makes it really interesting to work out several plan B's for those moments when plan A doesn't work. Not having several plan B's or plan B, C, D and even E is actually sloppy. The only good reason why a team doesn't have at least two-three strategies is because they're still working on plan A, in my opinion.

It's as simple as this; If you shoot the penalty kick in the lower left corner every time, it's going to get easier for the GK to save it. So the clue is to mix it up a little.

Last edited:
There's a significant gap between "doesn't work" and "need a plan B". If Guardiola's teams had a distinctly different plan B that could surprise opponents from time to time it wouldn't be so simple (note that "simple" does not mean "easy") to prepare for matches against them. Having one main style that works most of the time due to the quality of the players actually makes it really interesting to work out several plan B's for those moments when plan A doesn't work. Not having several plan B's or plan B, C, D and even E is actually sloppy. The only good reason why a team doesn't have at least two-three strategies is because they're still working on plan A, in my opinion.

It's as simple as this; If you shoot the penalty kick in the lower left corner every time, it's going to get easier for the GK to save it. So the clue is to mix it up a little.

I agree with you , by the look of things you can be Bayern manager ;)

It was a good performance by Real in both matches.
I like how they beat Bayern and especially Pep Guardiola. I don't want to see any Tiki Taka nonsense anymore - it is dead, for godsake. The most boring kind of playing football.
Another issue which was annoying was the arrogance of Bayern regarding the Bundesliga. The statement: "The ligue is over for us" by Guardiola in the end of march was ridiculous. He is responsible for destroying the rhythm and the good flow Bayern had until that stage.
If they would have been focused all matches as they were some month ago, they would have been able to go through into the final.

Ancelotti did a great job. He outplayed the stupid titki taka system and beat them with effectiv counter football.
While Bayern copied Barcas boring possession football style and trying to play: tikia taka, tiki taka, tiki, taka, tiki.....
Real simply played: tik, tak, tor (goal!) :D :D

Now really looking for Atletico to reach the final. Would be a nice to have a town derby in CL final.

Once again, congrats to Real !!! :)

I don't want to see any Tiki Taka nonsense anymore - it is dead, for godsake.

19 points clear on top of the league says otherwise.

The most boring kind of playing football.

Greece under Otto Rehagel was far worse, but it is boring I agree.

I agree with you , by the look of things you can be Bayern manager ;)

It's easy being wise in retrospect, although I've been saying the very same thing about Pep's teams for years. Teams good enough to "force it to work" more often than not often becomes stagnant. I expected Guardiola to have ironed out significant weaknesses in his otherwise successful style when he took over Bayern. Obviously, he didn't.

So, in my opinion the "tiki-taka" has a place in football and I do appreciate it when done right. By that I mean that there's a time and place for everything, even tiki-taka. That particular style is for pure domination, and when you're not able to do it properly you should revert to another strategy. Barcelona has done it successfully under Gerardo Martino taking into account that Barcelona anno 2014 is a much weaker team than a few years ago. Todays Barcelona on a good day is funnier to watch because they actively pursue counter attacks, they cross the ball, they use long passes occasionally and they use the width of the pitch.

What tiki-taka is about is almost the oposite of total football. Tiki-taka exclusively embrace a single (but very important) part of a very complex game. The theory is simple, if you have the ball the opponent can't score. Well, it's correct but very simplified. It also require that you don't lose the ball in vulnerable situations, and Guardiola's teams constantly put themselves in awkward situations that runs a high risk of losing the ball in a vulnerable situation. I would stop that nonsense the second my back four was under heavy pressure while in possession. Learn from hockey where they don't start the actual power play until the team is in a position to do so relatively risk free. Also, by not *always* having to hug onto the ball in every situation and playing slowly from the back, other unique opportunities would arise which would upset and surprise opponent teams by default. Using tiki-taka as a defensive measure, is of course brilliant if you're able to.

Anyway, I'm going to stop now because I'm clearly far too interested in this topic and risk creating a wall of four pages of text unless I stop myself.

Last edited:
Stupid tikitaka.
Boring football

This is all very subjective (coming from a biased Schalke fan who is delighted that Bayern is elimintated).

This is all nonsense.

IMO Ancelloti must be one of the best coaches in football,but this is also subjective nonsense.

A coach who wins is a good coach, and it doesn't matter which kind of football he plays: parking the buss, tiki taka, total football,...

People admire Ferguson, yet Man Utd under him could be the most cynical team in the world.

Mourinho is seen as a negative coach, but Chelsea played fantastic football in january, february and march...Hzard is not the only creative Chelsea player.

The fact that Real eliminated Bayern is far from the end of tiki taka. football...

If a certain football style dominates too long, football fans want change, that is what is happening now.

I remember the Dortmund x Bayern and they were playing so damn well! I was not boring watching that game at all! I had a lot of fun! On that time I tought Bayern will rape the Europe and win the CL.

But Bayern fall since they become champions...

Of course this style of game is working on Bundesliga but against a big team like Madrid we can see that some little things has to change... (and also have a plan B, of course to use when they can't create danger, like yesterday. Maybe a more direct and risky game as a plan B should be trained)

Last edited:
Tiki-taka is the best style of football if dome with pace. Bayern have just lost that pace in the last few months. Maybe they won the league too early and haven't been able to get out of slumber mode?

Stupid tikitaka.
Boring football

This is all very subjective (coming from a biased Schalke fan who is delighted that Bayern is elimintated).

This is all nonsense.

IMO Ancelloti must be one of the best coaches in football,but this is also subjective nonsense.

A coach who wins is a good coach, and it doesn't matter which kind of football he plays: parking the buss, tiki taka, total football,...

People admire Ferguson, yet Man Utd under him could be the most cynical team in the world.

Mourinho is seen as a negative coach, but Chelsea played fantastic football in january, february and march...Hzard is not the only creative Chelsea player.

The fact that Real eliminated Bayern is far from the end of tiki taka. football...

If a certain football style dominates too long, football fans want change, that is what is happening now.

Of course is this my personal opinion.
For me Tiki-Taka of Barca, Spain, Bayern or which team else is the most boring kind of football. This kind of as much as possible possession of the ball does not make the matches very attractive.
Of course you will need a lot of good players technical wise to play this style, but it makes no fun, watching this.
I agree parking the bus like Greece did all the time, is boring as hell either.
But parking the bus as a tactic to take care of stupid possession tactics in a single match or for a torunament leg is quite ok for me. Chelsea, ManU, Real or who ever did so in several matches did this for a good resason, normally in most other matches the played different style.

And this is what makes the difference. Mourinho and Ancelotti are good coaches, they know how to change the way to play according to the opponents tactic. Guardiola failed a few times this season, when the opponent coach used special counter tactics to face their one and only tactic.

Since Van Gaal was at Bayern the tried to copy and improve old Barca style.
Right now, they play only this way and are not able to react and play differently, if the opponent plays good counter tactics with also world class players. Bayern seemed to be helpless.

We have seen tiki taka for too long and some of the good teams know to deal with it, so i hope that this trend will come to and end. You might like watching this kind of possession football - I did not and still do not like it. Reminds me too much of handball. Waiting for the gap. Absolutely boring for me - even if this happens on a high quality level.

That is why I liked that Real beat Bayern. This has nothing to do with Schalke. I know that our team sucks in comparisson with Bayern or Real, due to several reasons. But that is ok, because i am not a gloryhunter, so I can deal with getting defeated by those clubs.

And I am not delighted that Bayern is out because I am a fan of Schalke 04.
They got what they deserved, by taking the Bundesliga not serious after they won the Championship in Berlin. If it comes to final stage in CL you have to be in a good shape, rhythm. You need confidence, but Bayern lost most of it by claiming officially that only CL and DFB Pokal are important and they don't care about the league anymore and are only watching out that no player will get injured...
I think now they know at latest, this was definetly the wrong way. It was not good for their flow to win that title that early.

To keep the tension high they should have claimed they aim for the first team in Bundesliga history to be undefeated by the end of the season and trying to set a new highscore for most points.

And come back to being a "biased Schalke fan" and happy about Bayerns defeat. If you will check the threads "Who will win CL" I alsways voted for Bayern, because most of the season they showed such a domination in nearly all matches and this shape made me think the were able to defend the title.
If CL final would have been before they won the national championship, they would have had good chances, but not with the attitude the showed since end of march.

And by the way - yeah, we got beaten heavily by Real in Knockout stage, but at least, we were able to score a goal home and away ;)

Back
Top Bottom