The Transfer Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) ---> FC Barcelona for Villa+Thiago(re-buying clause)+£3.4m

Before Villa was confirmed to Athletico this already sounded like horse shit when I read it. I actually think United would've been the stupid ones had that been true. Rooney as a player and marketing tool combined is worth substantially more than that IMHO.

I wonder what other people think, but IMO that would have been a very bad deal for Barcelona if you only look at the raw talent of the 3 players involved. Don't misunderstand me: Rooney is a top player, but two years ago FourFourTwo considered Villa the 3d best player in the world (the best of the rest). One might argue about this, but to say the least Rooney and Villa are at least as good as each other (Villa will definitely come back after his injury) and swap Rooney with the second best forward in the world and one of the most exciting youngsters...that would have been a hell of a deal for United.

no gerd that would be a great deal for Barca , they already sold villa for 2 mil and they'll sell Thiago for another 18-20mil , you can buy rooney with 20 milion ;)

I wonder what other people think, but IMO that would have been a very bad deal for Barcelona if you only look at the raw talent of the 3 players involved. Don't misunderstand me: Rooney is a top player, but two years ago FourFourTwo considered Villa the 3d best player in the world (the best of the rest). One might argue about this, but to say the least Rooney and Villa are at least as good as each other (Villa will definitely come back after his injury) and swap Rooney with the second best forward in the world and one of the most exciting youngsters...that would have been a hell of a deal for United.

You grossly overvalued Villa there imo and underestimated the commercial value Rooney has compared to the two other players. That is worth a lot in today's football.

Agreed, losing Rooney would give Kagawa more chances down the middle which is a benefit both to United and Shinjis growth. Villa is definitely one of the most talented pure strikers in the world imo, played down the middle he could have been the best in the premier league. Along with Thiago who can be as good as Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas, we'd have got two quality players for the price of losing Rooney who isn't even that fantastic if we're honest.
Apart from losing the grand scale of advertising Rooney brings we'd have had huge benefits from this deal.

Still, Atletico Madrid have got a fantastic player for almost nothing.

Mark Schwarzer: Fulham -> Chelsea

Just about done, pics of him at Chelsea and everything. Clearly going for the Carlo Cudicini model of professional bench warmer :)

Mark Schwarzer: Fulham -> Chelsea

Just about done, pics of him at Chelsea and everything. Clearly going for the Carlo Cudicini model of professional bench warmer :)

This is bizarre, he could still play first team football at some clubs in the league, and he might not even be second choice if Chelski secure Ruddy..

This is bizarre, he could still play first team football at some clubs in the league, and he might not even be second choice if Chelski secure Ruddy..

They had an offer for Ruddy refused, so I think they won't try to get him, especially if they sign Schwarzer.

Tottenham Hotspur’s attempt to sign 17-year-old attacking midfielder Alen Halilovic from Dinamo Zagreb has fallen through, according to reports in Croatia. Tottenham are said to have been unable to agree personal terms with Halilovic, who was apparently demanding €1.2million (£1m) a year, a house and scholarship for his two brothers.

For a 17 year old, wants £20,000 a year, a new house and family benefits.. wow.. but in this day it seems less than greedy.

Januzaj got a comaprable amount of money and a house for his parents a couple of weeks before he became 15...

Always something that bugs me, the amount of money/benefits young kids are given/demanding like Pogba expecting to be up with the main squad in terms of salary before he had even played a full game!
I'm 18, and I don't know what I'd do with £20,000 a week.. within a couple of months I'd have everything I could need or want. Then I'd be feeding the homeless just cause I can.

IMO Tottenham is the one asking too much since he's only 17 and his family would abdicate of everything they have in Croatia

Januzaj got a comaprable amount of money and a house for his parents a couple of weeks before he became 15...

Where did you get that? 20k a week for Adnan as a 15 year old U16 player?

That's about what Smalling, Cleverley and Welbz and several other first team players were on at the time, can't imagine United pay him that much.

I also seem to remember John O'Shea was on similar about halfway through his time at United!

Yes, I mean how is one expected to live with only 20k a week? A measly six figure salary.

If a kid like him is moving to another country, his whole family should go as well and it looks he has 2 younger brothers who could not adapt to England. Perhaps they are happy in Croatia and those high demands are a compensation for everything they would be leaving behind.

If a kid like him is moving to another country, his whole family should go as well and it looks he has 2 younger brothers who could not adapt to England. Perhaps they are happy in Croatia and those high demands are a compensation for everything they would be leaving behind.

Then he/they should take the decision that if they are not in a position to uproot then he goes alone, and if he is not ready to leave without uprooting them then he should stay. Making huge demands on the basis that his family are unlikely to be happy is frankly ridiculous.

Making huge demands on the basis that his family are unlikely to be happy is frankly ridiculous.

Not ridiculous at all, that's how things work. Imagine you, happy with your job and your current life, then there is this offer from another company located at Croatia. Why would you leave your confort zone to a country unknown to you? Good money is what most people would answer

Not ridiculous at all, that's how things work. Imagine you, happy with your job and your current life, then there is this offer from another company located at Croatia. Why would you leave your confort zone to a country unknown to you? Good money is what most people would answer

Firstly I'd consider whether I'd be happy doing it alone, if yes then I'd accept. If I had family to consider I'd sit down with them and see if they're happy to follow me or if they will stay, then depending on their views I'd re-assess, but I wouldn't expect my potential employers to house my family and set them up with their futures just because I wanted a job with them.

EDIT: This is off topic, and I guess it's opinions are opinions :)

EDIT2: Emanuele Giaccherini --> Sunderland, Completed tomorrow.

Last edited:
Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma) ---> Chelsea FC for £11m
Hernanes (SS Lazio) ---> Chelsea FC for £15m
John Obi Mikel (Chelsea FC) ---> Galatasaray AS for £12m
Oriol Romeu (Chelsea FC) ---> Valencia CF out on loan

Last edited:
Where did you get that? 20k a week for Adnan as a 15 year old U16 player?

That's about what Smalling, Cleverley and Welbz and several other first team players were on at the time, can't imagine United pay him that much.

I also seem to remember John O'Shea was on similar about halfway through his time at United!

It was all over the Belgian papers at the time. Januzaj's birthday is in february, a couple of days after mine (it must be around the 10th). At that time he would be 15 years, the age where players can sign their first contract. It made me wonder what i made of my life (professionally) if a 15 year old would a salary like that and get a house, where i remembered how we got our house...

Don't misunderstand me: i'm not jealous. I don't care what those kids earn. I would do exactly the same. The problem is that most of the time those young boys don't get any guidance from the club and then things tend to go wrong. I don't blame those young boys, but the clubs, the agents and their parents.

Three years ago my son's team (he was 7 at the time, seven !) won a tournament in Holland. In the final they beat the mighty Ajax by 8-2. My son scored one goal and provided the assists for all the other goals. Especially this feat impressed scouts. He was MVP of the tournament. After a couple of weeks we had to change our telephone number...we got calls from all over Europe (if one has to believe those so-called agents). This is insane for a boy of 7 years old. At the moment my son is still playing for that same team and at the beginning of last season he had growing pains. He didn't play for weeks and had a bad season until february. Imagine what would have happend if he had played for one of those big clubs ? We tend to forget that it's about childeren and young kids....

Back
Top Bottom