The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Regarding racing games, anybody played RC Pro Am for NES? A friend of mine had it and we played it for countless hours. A fun racer, where you control one of four rc cars in short races with collectibles like power ups and obstacles like oil slicks and stuff. Was frustrating at times but always tons of fun.

RC Pro Am is a classic mate!
Everyone even guys who don't have a NES (like me) were aware it was on NES catalog such as i don't know, Metroid, Baloon fight, Megaman etc.
At least on my entourage. Perhaps one of the first (good) 3D isometric racing game. Without that one, Rock'n'Roll Racing or i will send some isometric racing games would never have existed.

Buggy Run (Master System) : got a great fun with that one

RC Grand Prix (Master System) : same system as RC Pro Am in less good, for M.S., the view is less good too

Neo Drift out (Neo geo) : i played it on Arcade especially, great game but hard

Biker Mice from Mars (Snes) : OUTSTANDING game, perhaps better than Rock'n'Roll Racing but i didn't got the chance to play it. It's a really high rated game.

Enduro Racer (Master System) / Not totally 3D isometric but more like "Paperboy" (never played that game btw)

EDIT / I Forgot the port arcade the most know of all of 3D Isometric games : OFF Road!

There's a video comparison with multiple port. I remember the game in Arcade, the screen was pretty big, adapted to the game.
I played in on M.S. personnally, but cars where a bit too small to be honest. I prefers RC PRO AM type.

Note : pretty impressive on Game Gear with the screen moving : at 9min15
-NES at 10min40
-Master System at 12min14

Best version to me 8 bits is Gamegear, console was of course Super Nes 1st then Megadrive 2nd from what i saw.
Amiga, Atari St, Dos etc. are pretty good too. But it's a game we played on 8 bits. Exceptionnally i tried the Off Road Snes.
I put some attention about that game not because it's the best, but the one who gets the more ports, incredible as every supports got their version, even Atari Lynx.

Last edited:
I was wondering, how large was the Game Gear catalog.. And I was surprised to see it is larger than what I thought.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Gear_games

364 officially recognized games!

Looking at the list, there are a few surprises! Like I mentioned before, I only played Sonic for Game Gear, this console is almost a complete mystery to me!

Action Adventure:

Interestingly there are some RPG's as well:

A couple of J-League games!

And most interestingly, this! (Continuing with the theme of Racing games, this looks like Sega's answer to Mario Kart!)

Looks like I should give Game Gear emulation a try!

Last edited:
Gotta say, those isometric racing games look really fun! I only played a few of them, one of them of course RC Pro Am mentioned by @shumway (which was awesome), and those posted by @vialli82 look great, especially Biker Mice from Mars, that looks really fun and action packed! However, I actually remember playing Super Off Road on the PC as well, which I thought was fantastic, really different at the time and I liked the physics of the turns (how it really felt like dirt roads) and how it was a completely different experience than any of the other racing games at the time!

@slamsoze I remember Top Gun bro! Fun factor to the Max, this is the kind of game in which the graphics are not the protagonist, it had fun combat and enemy encounters, the battles felt intense! Definitely the late 80's/early 90's had a lot of fun flight simulators.

One of the games I remember from this era (even though it was PC, I think it qualifies for this thread), is RED BARON from Dynamix. Man this was awesome, to be able to fly and fight with WWI planes, with a nice addition of being able to choose an actual flying historical Ace pilot from the era, I can't even remember how many hours I spent playing this! One of the cool aspects of this game was, since you only fought with chainguns, you had to get close to the enemy plane to gun it down, bringing a lot of close quarters combat to the forefront.. Great game!

Browsing around to see if there is a SNES or 16 bit equivalent, I found this! Wings 2: Aces High! Never played it, but it looks like a more advanced version of Red Baron, still with the old school fighting planes, although I'm not sure if this is WWI or WWII, emulator here I come!

Last edited:
HI guys! What's new in retrogaming land?

I've been playing quite a bit of NES wrestling games lately. Very entertaining!

To me M.U.S.C.L.E. is the best of the bunch. It's really original and fast paced. Love the original concept of having wildly different special attacks when you grab the "special pill" thrown in the ring.. Some wild an fast animations. I think for pure entertainment you can't beat this one.. Plus you have so many colorful characters, a 4 armed Goro like monster, a Blue Medieval Knight, a Fu Manchu martial artist, a Freddy Krueger type, give it a shot! Will post some more wrestling games soon! :TU:

Here's another wrestling title that I think was quite interesting, TECMO WORLD WRESTLING! This one was a bit different, you had to push button combinations in order to pull off the moves, one of the cool things about this one was the Japanese style commentator who got REALLY intense with the action, haha.. I think this was quite advanced for its age! Also, the music really got you going, like you were really in the Budokan watching one of the wrestling matches. This is one of the better NES wrestling titles out there, also had training mode, and a variety of moves! :TU:

Cool! Some very nice games covered in the video, some of the absolute classics like Final Fight, Chrono Trigger, Zelda 3, Sonic, Altered Beast, Streets of Rage. one of my favorites from the list has to be Golden Axe, to me until today it is in my top 5 beat em ups, along with some of the previously mentioned titles! And that's saying a lot, since that's one of my favorite genres! Anyway, here is Golden Axe, will probably continue with the beat em up series after I post a few more wrestling games for 8 bit and 16 bit! ;)

Never played this, but looks solid! Only out for FAMICOM, I will look for the rom.. TOUKON CLUB! The Wrestling looks fun and surprisingly fluid, with colourful characters who I'm guessing are likenesses of Japanese circuit early 90's Wrestlers! Have a feeling I'm gonna like this. :TU:

Continuing on with the Wrestling series, here is one that looks really good, but quite difficult to master! Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium! This one is actually from a looooong line of Japanese Wrestling games I think they started off in famicom and have many installments.. One of the most famous ones and most recognizable is this Premium version, not least because it is one of the few editions which has an English Translation patch! An interesting aspect to this game is that it's not dependant on button-mashing like a lot of Wrestling games are, but actually based on timing! Plus, it has a huge roster of wrestlers (from the Japanese and Western circuits) and the option of creating your own!

Last edited:
I was a big fan of WWE Westerlmania, with Hulk Hogan on the cartridge.

Two games i loved, the first more on Arcade (the ports were missing characters etc., never tried. 32x and PSX version.

And that one,

Saturday night Slam Masters : the SFII of Wresting. There's Haggar from Final Fight on it

Also Megadrive version but for comparison:
Never tried but there's the 10 characters vs 8 on Snes. No Referee on Megadrive. So i'll post the Arcade version for a full view (i played on Arcade first too)

Capcom was probably the best about makings Arcade > Console ports. But they were restricted about Sega or Nintendo i think, who dicted to them how much MBytes from a game > about the game cost, it should've sell.
If devs weren't restricted we would get complete port about rosters, cinematics etc.

I'll post the arcade version too :

Note : there's also the 2, but i never tried it before emulation ( a bit like World Heroes)

@millossobek maybe you can change the title so we can post some PSX (or even 128 bits early games), PC games etc. as "Retrogaming thread!" if you agree bro :SAL:

Well on my side it will be PSX/Saturn/Dreamcast maximum lol, even if i owned a PS2 i played practically all Dreamcast game. What a console, with the mini memory card with a screen on it :LOVE:

But it will still 8-16 bits based, just for posting some extras of course.

Like those ones / I'll post it on spoil
Mortal Kombat Trilogy, also on Saturn and N64.

A better version than you may think, even if it seemed like a "put all the characters on a game and close it" but there was new moves.
It was more fun than i through, with old version of Raiden for example second fatality etc.
UMK3 and others version are of course more authentic, but that one was a pretty good move from Midway : instead of making a compilation from all MK, they did one game with all characters and stages lol

3D was pretty new, but we played more at it than some new games

Another one, one my first PSX games i owned (it was also on the Demo disc)

LOADED / PS1 (perhaps Saturn too, didn't checked)

To stay in gore games, a pretty good to let of steam, everything explode and enemies too
Super dynamic, just the good balance about having your dose of action.
Very good ambiance a bit funny as a parody of action movies from 80-90

Hi bro @vialli82 Great to see that you're back! :TU:

Yes, I think we should be able to include PSX games and definitely PC games, in fact I just changed the title to Retrogaming Thread, also to include N64, etc! In my opinion though, I think we should have PSX/N64 as the absolute latest games, because once we get into 128 bit/PS2 territory, even though these are older games, many of them are more similar to modern games and I think it's cool that we keep the spirit of this thread retro! Just my take! :BSCARF:

Last edited:
@vialli82 Is this the one you mean bro?? This is the NES Wrestlemania I remember playing! You could choose 6 wrestlers, The Million Dollar Man, Bam Bam Bigelow, The Honky Tonk Man, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Andre The Giant, and of course, Hulk Hogan. The gameplay was a bit limited compared to other wrestling games at the time, (punch or elbow, kick, pick up opponent, running attack, turnbuckle attack) but at the same time it was entertaining! I remember Andre being really tough, and when I bodyslammed him using Hogan, how happy I was haha.. I actually remember picking this one up in the rental store! :LOL:

Continuing on with the Wrestling series, here is one that looks really good, but quite difficult to master! Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium! This one is actually from a looooong line of Japanese Wrestling games I think they started off in famicom and have many installments.. One of the most famous ones and most recognizable is this Premium version, not least because it is one of the few editions which has an English Translation patch! An interesting aspect to this game is that it's not dependant on button-mashing like a lot of Wrestling games are, but actually based on timing! Plus, it has a huge roster of wrestlers (from the Japanese and Western circuits) and the option of creating your own!

Bros, I've been playing a lot of Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium lately, and honestly I can't get enough! It seemed really tough at first, but it's all about timing the grapple just right. The difficulty level is challenging! I've been playing the World Championship mode, and the quantity of moves each individual wrestler has is unparalleled! And I haven't even started on the edit mode, in which you can create your own wrestler. I can honestly say that it is the best Wrestling game I've ever played from SNES/Genesis, (I especially like the Japanese thematics, as well as the different personalities of the wrestlers/move list) and is up there with my all time favorites, along with WWF Wrestlemania 2000 for N64, which I will cover in a later post!

And now, talking about WWF Wrestlemania for N64! I played a lot of this with my friends back in the day! We actually created likenesses of ourselves and participated in WWF Royal Rumble, haha. This game was really fun, smack in the middle of the "attitude era" of American Wrestling, with The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind, Kane, The Undertaker, all of these guys. The wrestler creator was really fun, so if you wanted, for example, to create NWO with Hollywood Hogan and those guys, you could do it too. Insane number of moves, entrances, theme songs, special moves, this was definitely one of the best wrestling games ever made. :TU:

And now, talking about WWF Wrestlemania for N64! I played a lot of this with my friends back in the day! We actually created likenesses of ourselves and participated in WWF Royal Rumble, haha. This game was really fun, smack in the middle of the "attitude era" of American Wrestling, with The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Mankind, Kane, The Undertaker, all of these guys. The wrestler creator was really fun, so if you wanted, for example, to create NWO with Hollywood Hogan and those guys, you could do it too. Insane number of moves, entrances, theme songs, special moves, this was definitely one of the best wrestling games ever made. :TU:

In have not enjoyed a multiplayer experience more in my entire life than a four-player Royal Rumble on Wrestlemania 2000.

My friends and I also created/renamed wrestlers - ourselves, family members, teachers, footballers, Neighbours characters, the lot.

My friends and I also created/renamed wrestlers - ourselves, family members, teachers, footballers, Neighbours characters, the lot.
That was definitely fun. Haha my favorite part of creating ourselves was the entrance song and walk!

We would always crack up with that feature. some of us would put rock numbers, soul music, heavy metal, or even hip-hop. Seeing our alter egos going at it was always hilarious. :LOL:

That was definitely fun. Haha my favorite part of creating ourselves was the entrance song and walk, we would always crack up with that feature. :LOL:

The walk ons were great. So many options in the edit mode!

Away from the silliness it was indeed a phenomenal game with solid single-player options too. Blew away the competition (and came along at a good time as WWF Attitude was a massive disappointment) and still stands up today.

I didn't ever get into No Mercy as I'd ditched wrestling/N64 by that point and was obsessed only with ISS Pro Evolution 2. But I see it's still widely-regarded by many as the best wrestling game ever.

That's what i was searching. A lot of games i didn't know, all those mascot establishment attempts. Some of them look really interesting.

Speaking of mascots, one of the underlooked ones was Bubsy (shown in the video by bro @slamsoze). I always called it "The Sonic for SNES", haha. But it was definitely a solid game! I could definitely tell that SNES wanted to capitalize on the success of sonic of a fast character, a lot of similiarities, and the game honestly holds on on its own as well! In anycase, Bubsy was a cool mascot, a bobcat, who instead of rings collected yarn balls. There was a sequel for SNES as well, and also for playstation and atari jaguar, but I remember the original the most!

Continuing a bit with the main theme of the forum, I wanted to share my favorite soccer game for NES/Famicom that I remember playing a lot in my childhood. Goal! Two.
The things that I liked the most were the perspective of the camera, the aerial view for long balls, the bicycle kick and the possibility of curving the ball in shots and passes, wich adds variety to the game.
Anyway, all you retro gamers and nostalgic give it a try if you haven't.

I wasn't aware of this one bro! I only played the first Goal! for NES, which brings me lots of memories, but I've never played this one! I will definitely check it out.. I like the long balls and how it zooms out to see the whole pitch when you pass! It continues the original Goal! tradition of curving passes and also cutscene celebrations.. A good addition to the retro football list! :TU:

This game was great for its time! F-15 Strike Eagle II was one of the first games I ever played as a kid. There were several things I liked about this one: The game felt very open, and the missions took their time, nothing rushed, you actually had to really think and plan your moves ahead. For example, if you had to take out a few targest with your missiles, say a military base, you really had to think of a strategy while looking at the map for the best way of getting there, while taking out the enemy planes, and the anti-air artillery. I loved the fact that it was mission-driven. A great game which gave me hours of fun!

Last edited:
I've been playing a lot of Final Fight lately for the SNES, and boy I can't get pass Abigail! I remember back when I was a kid I beat the game a few tmes, but now I'm having a lot of trouble with that particular boss, haha. Anyway, I'm playing Final Fight Guy (the one that has Guy instead of Cody), and I'm really enjoying it. I remember me and my friend used to play co-op all the time, I was always the fast character and he preferred to be Haggar, lol.. I love this game, the urban decay, the kick-ass soundtrack (The Bay Area theme is still one of my favorite of all video game tunes), and the variation of enemies and bosses (even if I can't get past that damn Abigail!) LOL :LOL:

Continuing a bit with the main theme of the forum, I wanted to share my favorite soccer game for NES/Famicom that I remember playing a lot in my childhood. Goal! Two.
The things that I liked the most were the perspective of the camera, the aerial view for long balls, the bicycle kick and the possibility of curving the ball in shots and passes, wich adds variety to the game.
Anyway, all you retro gamers and nostalgic give it a try if you haven't.

THE BEST 8 bit football game of all time.. OMG.. its all full manual lets be say it ! Only ball chasing can be assister but everything else is FULL MANUAL !
For years I have been trying to find it on cartage, a physical copy but unfortunately without success. I bought it last year on eBay from Argentina, I waited for it for about 2 months, but after it came, the game didn't work. There was a sound yes, but the image is buggy. Yes, it's a clone game, but it's not a problem for me, when I was a kid I played it under the name FIFA international.

How to forget that strange sound of dribbling the ball in the first Goal! :LOL:
Also I play a lot of the Shoot Competition in that one, what a great mode!

I had Goal but I didn't think I played it that much. However, having seen and heard that clip I realise now that I must have as it's very, very familiar!

It felt like you were wrestling with the controller to make your players move. They ran slower in certain directions, and the animation juddered. And then there's the sound effect you mention.

Must play it again sometime.

Back
Top Bottom