The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

For the history, i searched about it, the first Beat-them-up was Kung Fu Master...
But the VERY "real" beat them up in "3D" (i said 3D as you can move all the screen) was... Renegade.

I'm pretty surprised, i was thinkin' that it was out after Double Dragon, but no.

I personnally prefers the Master System lol, the overall design looks better to me... The arcade design didn't aged pretty well.
Nes version looks more like Arcade so...

Let's be honest, Double Dragon seems a copy paste from that game when he punch, jump etc., but there's more moves like i said earlier.

Never heard of this renegade!!! At first I thought it was based on Lorenzo Lamas' TV series "he was a cop and good at his job" LOL but then I realized that this was WAY before that series even existed, haha.. You're right!! It honestly looks so similar to Double Dragon, especially the first installment!!

And right! DD2 controls were confusing with the backwards kick and all.. You should definitely try DD3 the Rosetta stone as a challenge bro.. If you've never played it, it's guaranteed hours of fun and difficulty!

Yeah i never got the chance to play it on NES before. That one looks great and didn't get that old.
But the 16 bits version (or was it Double Dragon 4? Don't remember) where pretty bad.
I remember the "Rosetta Stone" name without checking on NES so it's probably the Megadrive or Snes version i tried who got a so bad feeling
But that NES version still got the DD same system and feeling when you punch or kick. Will definitively play it (and finish it) when i will got time...

Still working on my O.F. lol, it's a big work as i retouch EVERY stats took from WE10 or PES6 when unavailable... As my version is a restoration, so based on summer transfers and WE10 got some departure from player who were loaned or left on January. I'm editing every single player lol. Sometimes i'm kinda crazy when it cames to edit, i'm a bit too perfectionist for stuff no ones cares (but me) haha

Yeah definitely bro, let me know how you like the Rosetta Stone on NES only. The SNES double dragons honestly I never liked at all, or the Megadrive versions..

But NES DD3 is a classic, bro. Make sure to play it and let me know how it goes!! :TU: And also continued good luck with your patch!! ;)

1646852384467.png

Im a huge fan of beat em ups like Final Fight/Streets of Rage etc.. So Iron Commando looks really fun and well polished, I've never played it, will definitely check it out since it looks like it is very well made!!

Speaking of which.. What is you guys' favorite beat em up for 8 bit-16 bit-32 bit? Mine, when everything is counted (difficulty, fun factor, gameplay, replay value), my favorite beat em up of all time, is Streets of Rage 2!!

One of the best soundtracks of all time as well! :TU:

Well, first of all, there was a period in childhood, during summer school holidays, that the TV cartoon zone was going in a hiatus, no Dragon Ball,no Transformers no GI Joe, no Flintstones, no Scooby-Doo, no Marvel/DC series, no Disney Club, no Looney Tunes, no Mighty Max.

It was only Barbie, my little pony other girly toons, and from watchable series, there was only Phantom 2040 & Flash Gordon adventures Pirates of Black Water.

Where i want to conclude.. Due to this i ended up renting Pirates of Black Water from my neighbourhood Video Club. It was a 3-day rental, and for 2 or 3 summers ,i overkept it for 2 months, making my dad angry,when he got it back and paid the delay :P

For the record i never achieved to complete it, it was tough. But it was for the first video games I've played, that it was too faithful to its respective TV show.

Well, first of all, there was a period in childhood, during summer school holidays, that the TV cartoon zone was going in a hiatus, no Dragon Ball,no Transformers no GI Joe, no Flintstones, no Scooby-Doo, no Marvel/DC series, no Disney Club, no Looney Tunes, no Mighty Max.

It was only Barbie, my little pony other girly toons, and from watchable series, there was only Phantom 2040 & Flash Gordon adventures Pirates of Black Water.

Where i want to conclude.. Due to this i ended up renting Pirates of Black Water from my neighbourhood Video Club. It was a 3-day rental, and for 2 or 3 summers ,i overkept it for 2 months, making my dad angry,when he got it back and paid the delay :P

For the record i never achieved to complete it, it was tough. But it was for the first video games I've played, that it was too faithful to its respective TV show.
For the question , as i actually forgot to reply :P My favourite can't tell for sure, but my most played beat-em-up games are Battletoads and Captain Commando, with the last, Captain Comando, being my most played, in SNES , coin-op arcades and MAME. I have only achieved to complete it once, only in MAME32 in PC, where i can instert unlimited coins, i am a little bit bad to finish it in console. :)

I remember only a playthorugh, where i got to last stage with full lives, but there i lost them all, it was difficult and i didn't play with the META and the patterns.
1646900729795.jpeg

I like the mechanics, well nothing revolutionary here to be honest, i like the characters, especially the Mummy and the Ninja. Captain Commando was also my favourite character in MArvel VS Capcom fighting game. A lot of combos and lot of diversity...

Great game, great graphism Captain Commando. I only got the chance to play at a friend house, but that game wasn't (on the video store i was going) on location.
Ahahhaha me too i completely forgot a thousand time to send back the game after 3 days (there were 1 day, 3 days, and a week deal in every video store location i was going)

But then, i got two friend one after the other who worked on one location vids. I took sometimes 2 weeks a game or a movie and it was my friend(s) who worked there who said "you should bring back (example) Matrix II and Top Gear 2000, there's some people asking for it" hahaha.

I still got two or three games and movies on my cave i never sent back, when the closed (a bigger opened elswhere in the town, but there wasn't that much choice. And later, one with only PS2 and Xbox games... Well, before i installed a chip on my PS2 + Emule. Sad that FreeMcBoot didn't existed at the time or i wasn't aware of it : i killed 3 lens at least.

The last one was when PES 6 cames out : i was in possession of an X360 with PES 6 on it + a PC good enough to run that game, i brought the 2.
Now, i got a PS2 in occasion with FMB + an HDD, but put on the USB port.
Weirdly, it's on FAT32, but wayyy faster and by far less issue in cinematic than with an USB key.

Well, back to the thread, i got a PS2 game with all Samurai Shodown / Samurai Shodown Anthology (even the 6 or 7 with tons of characters) that last Samurai Shodown was out only on Arcade i think. I also got it on PS4, but there's no filter and it's too pixallated. I don't have issue with my Scanline generator, and a bit less visible with only a YUV cable than on PS4.
They should have added a scanlines filter like KOF 95 or others old games i brought in the PS Store. But it's a copy paste from the PS2 version, not the arcade one so....

SENPU RETSUZA! (or something like that)

Great game, great graphism Captain Commando. I only got the chance to play at a friend house, but that game wasn't (on the video store i was going) on location.
Ahahhaha me too i completely forgot a thousand time to send back the game after 3 days (there were 1 day, 3 days, and a week deal in every video store location i was going)

But then, i got two friend one after the other who worked on one location vids. I took sometimes 2 weeks a game or a movie and it was my friend(s) who worked there who said "you should bring back (example) Matrix II and Top Gear 2000, there's some people asking for it" hahaha.

I still got two or three games and movies on my cave i never sent back, when the closed (a bigger opened elswhere in the town, but there wasn't that much choice. And later, one with only PS2 and Xbox games... Well, before i installed a chip on my PS2 + Emule. Sad that FreeMcBoot didn't existed at the time or i wasn't aware of it : i killed 3 lens at least.

The last one was when PES 6 cames out : i was in possession of an X360 with PES 6 on it + a PC good enough to run that game, i brought the 2.
Now, i got a PS2 in occasion with FMB + an HDD, but put on the USB port.
Weirdly, it's on FAT32, but wayyy faster and by far less issue in cinematic than with an USB key.

Well, back to the thread, i got a PS2 game with all Samurai Shodown / Samurai Shodown Anthology (even the 6 or 7 with tons of characters) that last Samurai Shodown was out only on Arcade i think. I also got it on PS4, but there's no filter and it's too pixallated. I don't have issue with my Scanline generator, and a bit less visible with only a YUV cable than on PS4.
They should have added a scanlines filter like KOF 95 or others old games i brought in the PS Store. But it's a copy paste from the PS2 version, not the arcade one so....

SENPU RETSUZA! (or something like that)
You asked somewhere, sorry i forgot where, about Wukong aka Monkey King.

The original book is "Journey to the West" and the abridged, Monkey : a folk tale of China,or simply Monkey. To be honest I used to know it as Monkey King.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_(novel)

There is also a cult movie loosely based on the book, "The forbidden Kingdom" starring both Jet Lee and Jackie Chan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forbidden_Kingdom

Sorry for OT.. :)

I know, i know, i've already talked on a french forum but i didn't know the english name (only the french one "La Pérénigration vers l'Ouest" / "The Pilgramage to the West")

He got all that there's in Dragon ball, he can become giant, got a stick who can grown up, and can jump from cloud to cloud (he doesn't have a "magic cloud" but well)
Also @slamsoze Sun Wukong (chinese) in japanese is translated by "Son Goku" too ;)

That's also why the game "Black Myth : Wukong" is interesting me. It's one of most popular novel in China if not THE most popular with the one called in french "L'art de la guerre" (the "Art of War").

I didn't know about the movie. But there's a fighting manga (well it's a manwha > Korean so) where people emprunt gods are affronting each others.
But at the end of the first season, one is the incarnation of the Monkey King, considered as a god.
And he's wearing the same clothes as Wukong... Probably something took from the book and drawed on a illustration.

I don't think the monkey king got some kind of armor and crown looking a lot like the one from the rebuild armor from Seiya in Saint Seiya.

Journey to the West is awesome, I love the idea, story, and environment, as I am a huge fan of Ancient China and I think the whole story and ambiance of it is so cool. I know that in PS5 a game was released based on the book, with all the graphics and flash, and but honestly, it doesn't look like my kind of game, it seems a bit too over the top for my taste, lacking subtlety. I wish there was a retro option for Wukong Monkey King, or in a modern option, something more similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms or even Jade Empire for the PC which I absolutely loved! In anycase Wukong is awesome!

1646922125906.png

Which kind of makes me think.. There was a character in Breath of Fire 2 called "Sten" who was a fighting martial arts monkey.. I wonder if he was somehow based on WuKong he looks similar to some of the illustrations, you can see him in the video.. Funny because in the game he was part of a "Highlander" tribe (maybe based on Scotland?) but in the actual game he is very similar to WuKong!

Last edited:
@vialli82 Hahahaha yeah I could never make out what Haohmaru was saying Senpu Retzuza, sounded to me like Sempuu Getzuza, something like that. :LMAO:

@slamsoze you made me LOL with my little pony barbie etc etc... hahahahaha... Yeah, Pirates of Dark Water was an awesome cartoon, even if the quality of the drawings decreased overtime, because they had less budget for the animators etc, the story was always solid. I think they weren't able to finish the cartoon, the 13 treasures weren't found. :LOL: But the good part is in the video game the story is completed!

Back to Samurai Shodown, it is my favorite fighting game of all time (fighting, not BTA, hehe).. And to be the biggest badass in all of videogames, my favorite character Yagyu Jubei!

@millossobek Black Myth Wu Kong is a Souls like, a BTA but hardcore, you should like it no?
I saw the characters super typically chinese, i loved it. The guys without head or arms fighting against you, the talking bird, it's was super typically chinese.
Now, it start on a snow kind of mountain, all is white of course.... But you should check the fight against the semi-boss then the Dragon, the fight is awesome.
You'll see, like me i was suspicious about the Bloodborne theme such as the Victorian era, but it was fantastic, and got a lot of variety. I think Wu Kong will too, with level on the sky/coulds etc.

I'm super bored about Medieval-fantastic Souls as i made 5 games on it, i REALLY got enough of the theme.
That's why i will buy Elden Ring later : i still got Nioh 2 to finish, Sekiro, 2 japanese based but very different (Samurai/Shinobi and one is not an RPG), now there's Wukong in another type of universe (chinese mythology : it's pretty rare as games are more focused on Japan so.... It's the game i'm more hyped from every new gen games in preparation).

Personally i was amazed the first time i saw it.
Of course no, it can't be like a Souls "dark" in terms of atmosphere : the novel doesn't fit with it, it's more high in color and a bit crazy, but there's still fights, darks stuffs, deaths on it etc.

Sorry for the O.T., just that i'm astonished you didn't liked Wukong, as a Souls fan (well if you're a fan of medieval fantastic first... Personnally i'm not that much. I accept it as something "basic")

Journey to the West is awesome, I love the idea, story, and environment, as I am a huge fan of Ancient China and I think the whole story and ambiance of it is so cool. I know that in PS5 a game was released based on the book, with all the graphics and flash, and but honestly, it doesn't look like my kind of game, it seems a bit too over the top for my taste, lacking subtlety. I wish there was a retro option for Wukong Monkey King, or in a modern option, something more similar to Romance of the Three Kingdoms or even Jade Empire for the PC which I absolutely loved! In anycase Wukong is awesome!

View attachment 149756

Which kind of makes me think.. There was a character in Breath of Fire 2 called "Sten" who was a fighting martial arts monkey.. I wonder if he was somehow based on WuKong he looks similar to some of the illustrations, you can see him in the video.. Funny because in the game he was part of a "Highlander" tribe (maybe based on Scotland?) but in the actual game he is very similar to WuKong!

It surprises me too, since in the most modern RPG games, basically the type of mobile RPG/monster collecting/turned based/IDLE games, the most common characters, that do exist almost in every game, are those Chinese folklore cliché characters.

Like a WuKong, a Kung Fu Panda, a Kung Fu Tiger, a drunken Kung Fu old man, a Kung Fu Peacock, a martial artist or magical Swan, etc..

The most J-RPG and RPGs in 90s, have the pseudo-medieval setup, pardon me not sure if it is Norse folklore,or Goths , or Brits, or Gauls, or whatever, you know the typical, Trolls, Ogres, Elves, Dwarfs, animal like villains, or human-beast hybrids, like reptileans, minotaurs, frogs, rats, etc ...

@slamsoze my issue is not so much that, haha,, I actually love Chinese folklore, it's more like I don't like how most modern games have to look like a movie, and try to be super epic and extreme and in your face, when actually I think Journey to the West is a much more grounded folk tale, which I think retrogaming did much better, even with old famicom games which had Chinese, Korean, and Japanese folklore which are coincidentally, my favorites. :TU:

Here's another underappreciated gem SNES beatemup.. Batman Returns! (My favorite out of the bunch no doubt about it) I thought this game was very well made, and it was pretty faitfhful to the movie, with the clowns, the bosses (Catwoman and Penguin) and other denizens of the Penguin underground.. Good graphics, very good ambiance, quite difficult and also recreates well the Tim Burton Gotham City and Batman world which I actually thought was brilliant! As a game itself it holds up excellently as well! Highly recommended! :TU:

Search the top of Beat-em-up from Snes on google, don't worry he's not depreciated (the first one i fall on ranked that Batman second, the 1st was... TNMT)

I believe that game is just less known than other arcade games such as Final Fight etc.
Don't even remember if it's an arcade port or an original Snes game. Probably the reason it's less popular, weird for a Batman (as we know all versions from Megadrive to Gameboy to NES etc.)

Perhaps because of... The movie, who was very criticised, the game is a mix with the comics in terms of graphisms. Not like the Batman who looked like a Mortal Kombat lol. That one was weird, i throught it's based on the same movie but every characters were digitalised.

Last edited:
@vialli82 I actually just read your post about WuKong my friend, and I would like to expand. :) It looks great in terms of graphics and gameplay but for WuKong, I think a game design like Ganbare Goemon would work better for me, with updated graphics. I would actually love a retrogaming version of WuKong haha. :LOL: In fact, if you were to ask me, Ancient China is my FAVORITE setting, I love the characters you guys mentioned like talking bird, dragon, etc.. even more than medieval. Maybe because I like the book and fable, I was expectiing something less like God of War and more like Romance of 3 Kingdoms or Ganbare Goemon, my expectations are really high for Wukong! It's more a question of personal preference of game style. ;)

Anyway, back on topic, I actually liked the Batman Returns movie haha! The first one and the second one were my favorites.. Haha,, I actually remember the Batman that was similar to Mortal Kombat, that one was funny. I actually couldn't play it for too long because I was expecting Batman to say something like "come here,, excellent" like Scorpion haha... Just too weird. :LMAO:

Last edited:
Yeah i was doing something else and didn't posted that version.... It was "beatiful" for the time (now it got older... And a bit kitsh, well, at my age i don't feel it lol) much more than digitilased pictures from synthesis image (i don't know if it's what you call that in english, but well you know what i mean, let's say "Pixar" level of 3D transformed on sprite with the same system of animation.

Not only on 16 bits consoles, as 16 or 64 even 128 bits didn't reached that level... Will post 4 example of 3D games who used that method, 2 on PSX 32 bits, and one on N64 64 bits and another (already posted? don't remember) on 16 bits.

Well, about 16 bits i will post the only Action or Plateformer i remember ;) but there's a tons using the system of it on 16 bits. Already posted (Toy Story, Foreman, Mario RPG etc.)
If you want to check, i tried EA Sports games from 1995-96 (NBA Live and Fifa on Snes)... On SNES only, the 1996 i think version from both games where using that system. Not on Megadrive trough, probably due to the result less colourful etc.
I was very surprised when i tried it.

32bits (note, both have 3D elements but sprites and many elements got the same system)

Skeleton Warriors (PS1/Saturn)

Tomba! (PS1)

Both games are awesome. There's tons of 3D games in terms of movement, but those ones were looked like a new generation of 2D Action-Plateform

64 bits (well there's only one console 😆)

Yoshi Story / N64

It may sound childish, but the game is very amusing and it was super beautiful.
So much that you forgot the childish style. Well it's a Nintendo game after all.
That one is in full 2D when you look closer. It's the best example of all.

16 Bits

Doom Trooper (Snes/Megadrive)

I ended the Snes version, only the 1 and 2 level megadrive, due to less colors, is less beautiful...
But more gore, levels have all the same theme but the level design. Games feels pretty different overall.

-On SNES you can block your player pushing L1 or R2 button when you shoot : you can't on Megadrive. That's why the level are built differently i think, and why the Megadrive version is more "run'n'gun", the overall tempo is faster and there's more ennemy, more items if you know what i mean. Not the same experience.

Some people prefers Megadrive version as it's a bit more fluid in terms of action even with less fidelity in terms of graphims and movement (like i said you can shoot and block your character), i like both personally...

It's a VERY fun game, underrated to me. Same as Skeleton Warriors, no one talks about it but it's really fun and well polished.

Yoshi's story is the one that caught my eye immediately! The second part of Yoshi's Island perhaps?? Looks so creative, in fact it is assured I will love this one because I thought Yoshi's island was the most brilliant game ever.

Also Skeleton Warriors looks cool! Looks like it's time to fire up my PSX emulator and give this one a whirl! These type of 32 bit platformers I would like to know more about, especally for PSX/Neo Geo or PC, since I don't know much about them besides symphony of the night and a few others!

I will also look doom troopers! Looks like a kind of Contra meets Metal Slug! Speaking of which.. Maybe we can also talk Neo Geo games!!

And actually the version of Samurai Shodown I played the most was the Neo Geo version as well, with the already mentioned Yagyu Jubei! :TU:

I've done all the Metal Slug from Neo Geo except the 2 latest i think (5 and 6... Or there's a 7th version remade recently i believe).

Definitively the best Run'n'gun game, even series of all time with zero rivals to me.

I've done all the Metal Slug from Neo Geo except the 2 latest i think (5 and 6... Or there's a 7th version remade recently i believe).

Definitively the best Run'n'gun game, even series of all time with zero rivals to me.
& @millossobek first of all about Yoshi's Island franchise, great games. Surely the SNES, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, one of my life's top-10 best of the best, and no surprise , according to Wikipedia one of the greatest games of all time. Polished, inovative, accessible for everyone ( not even as difficult as Super Mario games). From the first games in my life, i completed the main story, on my own, no outside help at all., No friends help, no Nintendo magazine tips.

I also finished the N64 Yoshi's Story, similar set-up but different in the same time. And much easier than the SNES game.

Finally in NDS emulator, i finished the sequel of the OG, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS. Brilliant game again, another masterpiece. Only the dual screen of NDS, was a little bit pointless for this game, but that's life. If you like the OG, i strongly suggest the NDS version.

Yoshi's Island DS
150px-YoshisIslandDSscreen.jpg

As for Metal Slug, I agree, the best in its genre, i always felt it as a relief outlet, a psychotherapy. Played it a lot on arcade cabinets, basically 1 & 2, and the 2-fixed version, aka Metal Slug X, a MS 2 without the slowdowns. I also played it in PSX, where i liked the extra content, not present in arcade.
But here again I only completed it in MAME32 with unlimited coins, and only one time in PSX, playing 2P coop with my best friend.

Although the boss battle, that you are in a concrete pillar and the boss is a metallic jaw below you, and you have to fight vertical, jumping and shooting downwards, is a real mess, don't know how anyone passes that boss without losing a life.

And the final boss battle that is a mayhem. Also LOVE VERY MUCH, the Independence Day reference , when winning the final boss :)

A different genre game that i love, it is a platform but i like it for similar reasons to "Metal Slug". It is Spinmaster? or Spin Master? I had played this only in arcade cabinet, but what i like was, that most things of its environment, vehicles, objects, etc are shootable and destructible. It is a very big outlet for me, when in a shooting game you can shoot and destroy almost everything in the screen.

Last edited:
And for the last part of tonight's entry . Now i i don't know how i ended up here. I think i was trying to remember two games we used to play in Arcade cabinets, the 1st was a pool game with tricks, that after each level completed,the award was a picture of a woman half-naked and a similar game with naked pictures of women again, I think it was a maze-type game, with a spider leaving a web behind... Well if anyone does remember, drop the name, cause i can't recall lol :D

Well from this i remember a very decent pool game, billiard as we call it in Greece. It was a period between 2001 and 2003 that I was playing a lot billiard in real life, being a senior-highschool student. So i was searching a good pool/billiard video game, to "exercise" at home, since my parents rejected my idea to buy a real billiard table, in our basement :( ;)

So my only solutions were, a pool game i had on PSX , which had good physics, but very bad camera angle and serious performance issues, IIRC it had a lot FPS drops.

Then Virtual Pool 64, for N64, which was good gameplay wise and performance wise, but was impossible to find it to buy in my City, could find it only for rent. And for PC was also difficult to find a decent pool game to buy. For the record, there wasn't online internet e-shopping back then. Only what you could find in local stores.

So my companion was a pool game for Sega Genesis, playing it in emulator for a lot years, basically until Yahoo!, offered a pool game in Yahoo games, besides hearts, backgammon,etc...

Top quality game, a lot modes, IIRC, classic mode, 9-ball mode and trick-games mode with glasses of wine on the table .

Side Pocket (Sega Genesis)

@slamsoze Coincidentally bro, I just downloaded a Neo Geo emulator which has pretty much all the big games, so I'll definitely be checking out Spinmaster!

Thing about Yoshi's Island, is to me, it is still so unique and different from any other game I've seen. I never played it as a kid on SNES but actually discovered it much later through ZSNES, and I've been blown away ever since. Everything from the world design (it seems like you're in an impressionistic painting!) to the movements, the gameplay, the soundtrack (which is cute but at the same time so creative and fun), the super unique levels and challenges, everything about Yoshi's Island blew me away when I first played it.. It just feels different from any other platformer I've played!

Will definitely check out Yoshi's Story! :TU:

@slamsoze Speaking of pool games bro! The first pool game I ever played as a little kid (even before I even knew there was a thing called pool or billiards in real life, lol), was Lunar Ball for NES/Famicom! With time I realized that this was very different from other pool games, because it was on the moon, and I think different planets, so you had different gravity, friction, spins, effects, and strange pool table shapes etc. Very fun! Check out the ROM whenever you get the chance! BTW, Side Pocket also looks very good, the realistic choice for lunar ball crazy choice! ;)

Trivia question, that i always wondered. Anyone know the answer welcome, i hope @vialli82 being so deep in arcades, has the answer :D :

What does the "LEVEL-4" mean, what's its use for???? The one being center bottom of, if not all , in most of coin-op games

Wow, never heard of Spin Master (i don't think there's console port, like Windjammers... Unfortunately) but it's definively my type of game.
I love Run and Gun (or Shoot in that case with shuriken etc.).
There's one other more serious on Neo Geo who is pretty great but i'm lazy to check.

Side Pocket, i remember only the arcade version, uncensored, the biggest score you've made the most clothes the girl removed, but it was drawed (not real women). I played it because i loved the system. Pool games like Side Pocket are great, with tons of variation based on the power, the position etc.

There were even some, slightly more modern where you could choose where to point on the strike on the ball.
To me, it's perhaps the closest "sports" we can call a simulation.
When you think about it, all the maths and algorithm included on the stuff... A bit like Arkanoid-like, it was really amazing from the time.
That's what i call, like Tetris, really timeless games, but on video games.

Like Chess, Poker etc. but in video games; i was even searching a "controller to roll" called a "Spinner".
The game takes a whole other dimension of gameplay with it. Without, it's basic.
Even my father played the first version (don't remember the name) before Arkanoid (you may found the name by yourself). He told me he was strong at it lol

There was one for NES btw for Arkanoid I and II, also a Taito version of the spinner

Here's some type of "rolling controller" i was searching for. Now i just found that it cost nothing. I will probably buy one for my Raspberry. One button, one circle.

1647090706420.png

Here's the type of spinner, the more classic you may found... I found some, one with two buttons but it's 78 dollars for that lol. Too much for 5 or 6 games.
That one :
1647091292844.png

@slamsoze one friend asked me the same stuff lol, but sorry i don't remember : i still got a lot of that kind on MAME, included in packs when you download it (same as fucking mahjong game, tooking me a whole day to erase everything as i don't understand). Yes most of them were puzzle games, and amusing to play too, some were kinda different. But the classics type was : you got some ennemies on the panel and you have to make "hole" to eliminate them when they were inside.

There were tons of games like it in the early 2000 on some bar less "for kids" and a slots machine, for winning money. There was some tricks for winning the big price, you've got to wait for the machine to be "full" and it released half of the money.
But i stopped quickly. It's a drug, like every money/casino games.

Trivia question, that i always wondered. Anyone know the answer welcome, i hope @vialli82 being so deep in arcades, has the answer :D :

What does the "LEVEL-4" mean, what's its use for???? The one being center bottom of, if not all , in most of coin-op games

Ah, for that you need to enter into the BIOS of the game. For NEO GEO there's a button combination well known i don't remember. It's like F2 for a computer, when it start. Then you can change stuffs like levels, add blood, etc.
On MAME you can directly change it with a button combination without entering the bios, it's on the panel.
But when you buy a Raspberry or something like that with an Emulation O.S., it's better to buy a mini keyboard with it. I got one personnally, but it doesn't serve to nothing anymore as Retroarch, the main system who is running under both Android and Windows, have improved a lot.

Here an old video showing example of the UNIBIOS for neogeo, that's one cracked you can do one or two thing more on it.
There's two settings, Software and Hardware. In Software you got the level of difficulty (Level 4 by default), it's 1 to 8.
You can choose USA, Europe or Japan version (japan characters)

Now on MAME, which is a single emulator, but here you can see it from an O.S. taking all the emulators in charge (Retroarch) and the Menu you can see where you can navigate is called Emulationstation. You can use Retroarch without EmulationStation, but let's say it's a navigator, a frontrend.
Both are used by all pack for Raspberry or any computer (you can install it on a old CPU if you want).

With a button combination you can change after, or one single button (personnally i use for entering in MAME R3+L3) all the stuffs you can change from the game. For example, you can litterally put on "FREE PLAY", so you don't have to push any button for continue. Also increasing the level of difficulty, remove blood for some game etc.

There's also "dispswitches", it's something which includes some tricks like Gamegenie etc. which, like the UNIBIOS on Neogeo, add stuffs only for developpers. It sounds complicated but it's super simple. It's a sub-menu.
Just hard to explain lol. In resume: it's about to push buttons and change what you want from the game. But the most important is to change button by games, and level of difficulty if you've got too easy.

Both, the Unibios for NEOGEO and enter the Mame submenu are the same : just that the process differs a bit for NeoGeo as a separate console. For others game let's say it's just hidden, there's no menu for the bios.
Another vid for Mame this time, just to show you what you can change.

I remember playing NBA Live 96 on PC A LOT when I was a kid. Growing up in the 90's, the NBA was a huge love of mine, as Jordan and the Bulls were my basketball idols. But my love for the NBA didn't stop at the Bulls, as I was also a huge fan of Shawn Kemp, Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Mitch Richmond, you name it. I remember playing a whole 82 game season with the Sacramento Kings, but I did something different: I created my own roster of players but nobody could have over 83 overall rating, so it was a well balanced team with no superstars. Also, one thing I thought this game did really well was STATS, I was a stats geek, and playing 12 minute quarters, the game produced some beautiful and realistic stats! Really enjoyed this one. 🏀 :TU:

I remember playing NBA Live 96 on PC A LOT when I was a kid. Growing up in the 90's, the NBA was a huge love of mine, as Jordan and the Bulls were my basketball idols. But my love for the NBA didn't stop at the Bulls, as I was also a huge fan of Shawn Kemp, Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Mitch Richmond, you name it. I remember playing a whole 82 game season with the Sacramento Kings, but I did something different: I created my own roster of players but nobody could have over 83 overall rating, so it was a well balanced team with no superstars. Also, one thing I thought this game did really well was STATS, I was a stats geek, and playing 12 minute quarters, the game produced some beautiful and realistic stats! Really enjoyed this one. 🏀 :TU:

Looks like a spruced up version of Lakers vs Celtics from 89. That was one of my favorite games back in the day but I would not try another EA sports NBA game until 97 or 98. I bet I would have liked this one as well.

Back
Top Bottom