The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

I remember, in 1995, i brought a PSX. Well i sold it 2 years later (was more in my "clubbing/buy some classy clothes period) but it doesn't matter.
For one game, as i see it and found it super realistic in comparison to ALL we played before, and i followed the sport that time....

I took that game with a steering wheel with pedals and with some old pieces we (me and my father) created a thing for the accessory to be stable.
It looked a bit like a school desk lol.
There were pedals above it. I had great, great fun with that game, revolutionnary at the time, it was like the first F1 simulation

FORMULA ONE (1995)

The game is running on emulator so it looks better but we don't care. There's not version with a TV CRT and scanlines on it, the others vids looks too pixelated in comparison to what it looked on a SDTV at the time.
EXCEPT there a bit of "fog" (like N64 games) on the horizon to hide the appearing polygons.

It's on my favourite circuit : Monaco. I struggled to get a good time on that one

Last edited:
Bros, I've been playing a lot of Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium lately, and honestly I can't get enough! It seemed really tough at first, but it's all about timing the grapple just right. The difficulty level is challenging! I've been playing the World Championship mode, and the quantity of moves each individual wrestler has is unparalleled! And I haven't even started on the edit mode, in which you can create your own wrestler. I can honestly say that it is the best Wrestling game I've ever played from SNES/Genesis, (I especially like the Japanese thematics, as well as the different personalities of the wrestlers/move list) and is up there with my all time favorites, along with WWF Wrestlemania 2000 for N64, which I will cover in a later post!

Sorry, too late to the thread as usual 😩

I'm yet to try this game. I've seen many people speak wonders of it, including your testimonial.

Mat Mania. This is the wrestling game I grew up on 👇 . Damn, I've spent so many quarters on it. The gameplay is just so good... It amazes me how many lists of greatest arcades of all time miss this timeless classic. And the music... damn, the music!!

@crustcyb This looks AWESOME, right up my alley! As you can tell I love wrestling games, and this one looks like I'd really enjoy it. The music like you say sounds really catchy and epic, and I like the speed and the variety of moves, very impressive! I love how there's a character called "Golden Hulk!" Right in the midst of Wrestlemania, that's really cool! I think there's no doubt that the Japanese were the absolute masters of the Wrestling retrogaming genre, makes me wonder what other retro wrestling games are out there that I've never heard of! :TU:

You have to check out Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium bro! Let me know what you think!

@millossobek I'll definitely check it dude! Will let you know ;)

And check what I found out ACCIDENTALY following the Mat Mania video: The Japanese version of Renegade!! "Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun" WUT!! 😲

Check the music!! Man, I'm POSITIVE that River City Ransom only exists because of this game... :...

That looks so cool!! It definitely looks like I'll have to check out the MAME emulator, it is the same saga as River City Ransom-Kunio Kun!! Now that you mention the music, have you noticed that the SNES version of River City Ransom, Super Kunio-Kun has the same rock and roll based 50's style boogie soundtrack?? Have you played this one?? So awesome!! I love these retro Tokyo-Osaka school brawling games!! :TU:

Dude! I had no idea these games existed (The Arcade Japanese version of Renegade AND SNES Japanese River City Ransom you just posted), like, up until 5 minutes ago!!! LOL!! YES! :LOL: :YES:

Can't believe you haven't checked out MAME mate... Google for a version with the xBRZ filter applied by default, by a dude named zenju. I don't know about you, but since I'm old, and I played all these games in either tube TV's or arcade monitors, I simply can't stand all the pixels anymore... I just need some upscaling, and some graphic filter that "des-pixelizes" stuff, and xBRZ does quite the job!

I HIGHLY recommend it ;)

Last edited:
I think I played MAME emulator before! Just not for years, and I've been missing out bro! It's time to re-download it and check out some more of these arcade classics! :BSCARF:

Will do on the recommendation for the de-pixelizer! I haven't really minded the pixels too much, but I've noticed that also sometimes applying scanlines(for example in SNES9x improves the experience!) In anycase thanks for the heads up!

Bro, for sure you're gonna have hours and hours of fun with the wrestling game and the Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun. If you loved Mat Mania and Kunio for arcade, you're gonna love these two!! Let me know what you think for sure. :TU:

Last edited:
Guys, for those of you who, like me, love Streets of Rage for the original Sega Genesis, I found a super gem, a PC remake made my fans which includes all characters from the Genesis Streets of Rage games, as well as all scenarios included in one game! Best of all, it has the "best of" soundtrack from master Yuzo Koshiro, one of my favorite acid-jazz urban video game soundtracks, graphics which are faithful to the original games, it's pretty much one of the coolest discoveries I've made! No emulators required, just download and play! :BSCARF:

https://sorr.forumotion.net/t838-new-streets-of-rage-remake-v5-2-download-and-info

1.png2.png

You may be interested in this excellent documentary here on the history of gaming in the arcades. So far he has done the 70’s and the 80’s and I believe he is working on the 90’s at the moment. They are very well put together and very interesting.

I was born in the 70’s so didnt go to the arcades at that time but the 70’s one is still a good watch because it shows how it all began. The 80’s is the one for me and is over 4 hours long! Have not finished watching it yet :D Some great memories there. :)

Here are the links:-

Defnitely looks interesting bro @geeeeee a history of arcade gaming! Will surely give it a watch! I see it includes one of my favorites, Final Fight, and my kind of arcade favorite genre, with King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Streets of Rage, etc.! I hope he does the 90's soon and stops there, maybe go to the early 2000's for King of Fighters era and other great games, but limit it to retrogaming! :TU:

Guys I've been playing Ninja-Kun saga for the NES, and thiese games so much fun. I love the simplicity of it, and it just really works! One button for jumping, another one for weapon (you start out with a ninja star, but you progress and get different special weapons). I attach one of the better known versions, Ninja-Kun Ashura no Shou, but if you guys remember, back in the multi-game cartridges for the Famicom, there were two earlier versions, with the same round ninja protagonist who I think looks so cool! These games are very fun, with well designed levels, enemies, and is actually really hard! 100% recommended! :)

Well, since I started off with Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, I think it's appropriate that I post the original NES version, Ghosts N' Goblins! (although I believe this one is based on an arcade!) I actually think this might be tougher than the SNES version!! This is one of my favorite franchises ever! I even got Ghosts N' Goblins, resurrection, the indie game which was released recently @vialli82 let me know and I've really enjoyed it, what a great game as well! But sometimes I just want to go back and simplify things, not to mean that simple means easy, in this case, it is even harder! One of the things I love about this franchise is how it always seems like a world of monsters against Arthur, your character.. It's like amazingly difficult odds, which is what makes it so fun! :TU:

I played it the first time on Arcade on a "café"
There was Arcade machine on 5 bar for 1 at the time.
When i was young and my parents wanted to have a drink somewhere, the condition for me to come was if it was an Arcade machine :LOL:
I remember the very first time i played it.

Then, my cousin got a NES to loan, and he gotted Ghost'n'Goblins on it. We played like fool on it.

Ah, also that game, it was on Master System with 2 missing stages :( but it was more fluid, there were more frame.
Played it on Amiga, and arcade port. One of my favourite B-T-A of all time, with the charging punch.
I rushed on it when i got MAME to play the Arcade version

Dynamite Düx / only on SMS for console, Amiga, C64, Atari St etc. for the "gaming computers"

Amiga

(Master System and Arcade vids)

MS

Arcade

I drew a lot when i was young, but when i means a lot, it was everything everytime. I won't lie, i was good (i probably lost it).
My favourite stuffs to draw as i created more than i recopied stuff, was to invent final boss stages lol. That game inspired me a lot.
Bosses where cool.

@vialli82 The Dynamite Dux duck looks pretty cool! Haha he reminds me of some of the J-League Mascots! Also, took a look at the bosses from the game! They are the best, there is nothing cooler than retro bosses, nothing can come close! Awesome bro! :TU:

1644950454519.png

Last edited:
Here's another NES classic that I've been playing quite a bit lately, Wizards and Warriors!! This game was unique on so many levels, very interesting levels, which were unique in their design and had so many secrets, a lot of special weapons and items (for example, wand of wonder, different types of boots), potions, etc.. It's not quite an RPG, it's more of an action adventure game with some RPG elements, and I think it has some of the coolest bosses out there now that we're talking about it. Great medieval setting (my favorite), very high fun factor, good replayability, and a nice variety of items, monsters, tricks, and enemies! Highly recommended! :TU:

Did you guys play ActRaiser 1 and 2 for SNES? Both games are awesome, but everyone has their favorite one! I've talked to people who like the first one better, it was such a unique mix of city building and action, with 2 modes integrated in the game: You are a God who has to rid your land of evil influences and guide your civilization to prosperity, building roads, creating earthquakes, etc (kind of like Simcity!) yet at the same time there is an action element to it, a platformer in which you guide a hero through stages and battle your way beating monsters! The 2nd Actraiser decided to focus only on the battle aspect, which has their supporters and detractors.. I think they are both great games!!!!!

Last edited:
They're both classics. But i played Arcade mode on the 1st, then i tried a bit the second, more "playable today" i mean it didn't took a riddle than the first one in terms of movements, graphisms, etc.

Well didn't know that Chrono Trigger had butchered its contents to the West Version, in contrast to the JP version.

A little bit patching, if you wanna go the extra mile. To ne honest, except for translation ips patching,i never messed with patches before GBA emulz.

Right! I've noticed that quite a bit of SNES rpg's got "changed" for the western release! I haven't played the Japanese translated version of Chrono Trigger (only the US release), but I still loved it so I can only imagine that the patched version would be much better! I think Final Fantasy IV also had a Japanese version which has been translated! Here is a website which reviews the best translations!

https://legendsoflocalization.com/which-final-fantasy-iv-translation-should-you-play/

A different translation patch was also released for one of my favorite SNES sagas, Ganbare Goemon (The Legend of The Mystical Ninja). The 2nd part was never released in America, but fortunately there's a patch that takes care of that so you can play the translated Japanese game! :TU:

Hey guys! I've been playing the original METROID and I really forgot how tough and fun it was! Even though in retrospect, it might've been overshadowed by the SNES Super Metroid, which I also think is a great game, and an all time classic, the original NES game has a charm all of its own. I am stuck right now in the 2nd stage, and can't remember how to pass it (I'm trying not to look at gamefaq!) but I'm really enjoying it so far.. The straightforwardness and simplicity of it, just a well-made game with tons of fun factor and atmosphere! :TU:

I just played a Japanese version of Punch Out, beat Super Macho Man and.. No Mike Tyson or Mr Dream! Haha perhaps it's an early version, but it seemed strange to me that no Tyson appeared.. LOL maybe it was a hacked version..

In anycase, to me Mike Tyson's Punch-Out is easily in my top 10 NES games of all time.. I remember so much about this game, special tactics for every fighter, my favorite was when I was finally able to beat Macho Man as a kid, couldn't wait to get to the final fight! I also thought Bald Bull 2 was incredibly frustrating, so I was glad I was able to find the trick to beat him! Needless to say, this is a classic :TU:

One more game I wanted to include for now is Super Dodge Ball! This is one fun game, based on the Japanese original Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu. From the creators of River City Ransom (The Kunio-Kun series), the two versions are slightly different in the stages and teams you play with, but they remain the same game. You play as a dodgeball team and you have to take out your opponents. So simple and fun. You guys have to check it out and see the players' superpowers and skill moves! A very fun experience! :TU:

Hi bros!! For today's game I would like to remember "Pirates of Dark Water" for the SNES! An often overlooked beat-em-up, based on the popular mid 90's Cartoon Network series!! Perhaps not as polished as other beat-em-ups like Golden Axe or Final Fight, but still a pretty cool gem! Loved the world based on the cartoon, an entire world is consumed by Dark Water, and the heroes must find 13 treasures to save the world, with the three heroes Ren, Tula, and my favorite, Ios. Colorful enemies and bosses! Check it out! :TU:

I never played that game in fact, it wasn't in location where i live. Forgot to launch it on Emulator.

Talking about B-T-A, there's a super one that was cancelled due to right with Sony etc. (but the game was finished) made by ARCADE ZONE.
It's the same producers as the B-T-A "Legends" who was already great.

The details, graphisms, gameplay was like the game from at the end of SNES, it looked like a real Arcade game. It wasn't an exclusive one, should be out on Genesis too btw.

There's a level in a chariot more like a shooter same with another one on a bike etc., there's a lot of variety in gameplay and the rest (levels, characters etc.)

I got an English version, don't remember if it's translated. No doubt, if it was out and sold, it should have raised the level of top 5 of best BTA on Snes.
I checked some ranking, and the one always at least on top 3 on snes BTA is "TNMT / Turtles in Times". Deserved to me, it's an awesome game.

There an exclusive version with TNMT for who loved Turtles in times and want a sequel...
But on Megadrive : "TNMT : The Hyperstone Heist". It's also ranked the best BTA on that console, you can run on it, i tried it's an awesome game :WORSHIP:

IRON COMMANDO (Snes, Megadrive / Cancelled then resorted)

And just to remember, the game Legends by the same producer, also great.

LEGEND

You can see the similitude's ;)
There's an unique Comics style from both.

Im a huge fan of beat em ups like Final Fight/Streets of Rage etc.. So Iron Commando looks really fun and well polished, I've never played it, will definitely check it out since it looks like it is very well made!!

Speaking of which.. What is you guys' favorite beat em up for 8 bit-16 bit-32 bit? Mine, when everything is counted (difficulty, fun factor, gameplay, replay value), my favorite beat em up of all time, is Streets of Rage 2!!

One of the best soundtracks of all time as well! :TU:

Last edited:
Oh, bro @vialli82 I didn't see that you posted Legend BTW! I've played this one before, and was surprised at the high quality comics graphics in this one, definitely late-SNES style. I've played it a few times but haven't been hooked on it yet, will definitely fire up the emulator for this one once more! Especially because it mixes two of my favorite genres: medieval and beat em up! ;)

Personnally? I don't have a favourite Beat-them-all, but let's say that my first big crush was Final Fight but on Arcade. Then the 2 and 3 on Snes.
What i liked is the tons of names for every ennemies. I can say it's the BTA with the design i love the most.

It was the BTA that redefined the style : without Final Fight, no Street of Rage or whatever else coming after (well, without Double Dragon or older i don't remember, no Final Fight neither lol). Talking about Double Dragon, for an oldie, there was a lot of moves! Headbutt, Elbow, Jumping Kick in the opposite direction, Catch-up etc.

8 bits it's Double Dragon on Master System/NES (i like both) and if i owned a NES, it would have been River City Ransom with Kunio-Kun.
I think that one got no concurrence, with the RPG elements, all the opponents with different names like in Final Fight...
But 16 bits...
There's too much good BTA for me to choose. Sengoku 2 and 3 on Neo Geo, Vigilante, Cadillacs and Dinausaurs, Asterix (that one is probably the one with the most animations on it), Ganbare Goemon.... And also some 2D BTA like Mystic Defender etc. edit/ i forgot the awesome "Hammerin Harry" too for example, some are more a BTA than a plateformers (Mystic Defender is more a action game when i think about it).
Vigilante or Renegade i don't remember which one, Kung Fu Kid on Master System or the well known Kung Fun Master on NES are two better example of 2D BTA.

There's too much good to make a definitive choice 😅

I would say that the most polished i played was Street of Rage III and TNMT 1 on Snes/Arcade and the 2 on But it's not my 2 favourite. On that type of game, the atmosphere is really important.

Edit : if you want to play Street of Rage 3 @millossobek , the most "recent" and the one that didn't get old at all, takes "Bare Knuckles III" translated : on US and Euro version there's a lot of censure and different colors, the jap version is more authentic ;)

Last edited:
Really sad that that Beat-Them-All don't got a translation... Because it's a really, really good one.
But there's too much dialogue.
Hokuto No Ken on PSX : it's the closer version to the Anime, from the story to the atmosphere : even the real japan Anime soundtrack (which is super rare) is on it.
Same intro etc. just take a look at the intro, you want to play it when you followed the anime, it's impressive. Sorry if it's in french, but it's in my suggestion lol.

"You're a shock!". Super faithful to the anime.

@vialli82 of course, Double Dragon! How could I forget, the one that started it all!!

Wow in terms of Double Dragon... That's really tough to choose between that saga and Streets of Rage.

I remember that with @Madmac79 we had this friendly debate going on between which one was better.. Double Dragon II or III.

This is something that I've thought up a lot in the past few days, all the while I've dug up my NES emulator and played both DD2 and DD3. I can see so many advantages in both.. But I think I'll summarize it here:

DD2:
- More variety of enemies
- More intuitive gameplay pick up and play
- Better ambiance/environment
- Better Soundtrack

DD3:
- More replay value
- Can play as several characters (the Lee Brothers, Chin and Ranzou)
- Much more intelligent enemy AI (game is much harder)
- Fighting feels more natural

At first I said my favorite is DD3, but now, I'm not so sure!!

What i don't like with DD2, is the left and right punch/kick which are on the pad (B for left, A for right, on Megadrive it's the same and the middle button to jump). I retried it after we talked about, the NES version and it was the same shitty controls as on Arcade.

I never played it but i doubt Double Dragon III got that system, that's one reason Double Dragon II was so bad rated.
But Double Dragon III on NES is another story than the Snes and Megadrive versions which are very average for not saying unplayable in comparison to any other BTA.

Back
Top Bottom