The Retrogaming Thread! [8-bit/16-bit/32-bit/64-bit]

Man another saga that forged my gaming childhood! Played only 2 and 3 tho. I think 2 to me had that mystic I already talked about, obtainable only by the fact that it wasn't actually mine, but I used to go play it in 2 at a friend's home or have it in loan once in a while; also the fact there were more levels and I had the impression of a more classic, well connected adventure that completely looked like a big 80ies power fantasy movie, plus there were a lot of other things that made me go overboard (the shadow clones, the mini bosses, the platform parts, the soundtrack which I largely still remember to this day).

DD3 was one of the first games I had on nes and while I loved it it fell a bit short compared with 2 to me. I don't know, to me the fact you had that trip around the world was nice in terms of variety, but also felt a bit like they were all separate entities in a sense. Also maybe the fact I could play it anytime I wanted as I said above "watered" it a bit down.

By the way, among the other good things of 3, the altered Marion was a beautiful final boss, probably one of my personally most memorable ever. Back in school days we used to call her "The Phoenix" for some reason I can't remember and none of us at the times ever managed to ever beat her, which kinda helped in building up the epic.
I'd actually like to start a friendly discussion about which one is better, Double Dragon 2 or 3! It's actually very close, because both games have their pros and cons.

I would say Double Dragon 2, just like you mention, has a very nice 80s power action movie feel to it! You are so right about that. I think in many ways, it can be seen as more fun than DD3 because of the different kinds of enemies, sub-bosses etc. just like you mention.. But there's one thing that I don't like about the game and it is the cheap "rising knee" technique. If you master that technique, the game because very cheap, because that move is very OP. Take a look at this video, this guy beats the game just by using that one move!

Double Dragon III has more challenging gameplay. I think the game actually forces you to think of different strategies and use many different moves, which are actually very similar to DD2. One of the new moves in DD3 is the somersault throw that, even though is powerful, is not nearly as OP as the rising knee, so it makes the game more balanced. Also, even if DD3 doesn't really have the variety of mini bosses, it still has a nice variety of enemies, with the difference that they are more specialized, (chinese warriors in china stage, italian warriors in italian stage, etc..)

Overall I would say:
DD2 is a longer game, with more variation and perhaps more pure fun factor, but the game itself is perhaps a bit on the easy side, even without the knee technique.
DD3 is shorter, feels more compact, and perhaps not as purely entertaining, but it has the addition of bonus characters besides billy and jimmy, which add a lot, and is perhaps a more balanced game.

Would love to hear your opinions on this saga!! Also if you want to include the original Double Dragon, or Super Double Dragon for SNES, be my guest!! :TU:

Last edited:
I'd actually like to start a friendly discussion about which one is better, Double Dragon 2 or 3! It's actually very close, because both games have their pros and cons.

I would say Double Dragon 2, just like you mention, has a very nice 80s power action movie feel to it! You are so right about that. I think in many ways, it can be seen as more fun than DD3 because of the different kinds of enemies, sub-bosses etc. just like you mention.. But there's one thing that I don't like about the game and it is the cheap "rising knee" technique. If you master that technique, the game because very cheap, because that move is very OP. Take a look at this video, this guy beats the game just by using that one move!

Double Dragon III has more challenging gameplay. I think the game actually forces you to think of different strategies and use many different moves, which are actually very similar to DD2. One of the new moves in DD3 is the somersault throw that, even though is powerful, is not nearly as OP as the rising knee, so it makes the game more balanced. Also, even if DD3 doesn't really have the variety of mini bosses, it still has a nice variety of enemies, with the difference that they are more specialized, (chinese warriors in china stage, italian warriors in italian stage, etc..)

Overall I would say:
DD2 is a longer game, with more variation and perhaps more pure fun factor, but the game itself is perhaps a bit on the easy side, even without the knee technique.
DD3 is shorter, feels more compact, and perhaps not as purely entertaining, but it has the addition of bonus characters besides billy and jimmy, which add a lot, and is perhaps a more balanced game.

Would love to hear your opinions on this saga!! Also if you want to include the original Double Dragon, or Super Double Dragon for SNES, be my guest!! :TU:
I think I overall agree with your review, sounds pretty objective.. I never found DDII this easy but I guess it's more of a subjective thing indeed! Back in the days I had no idea it was possible to cheese the game with the flying knee thing. I (and with me my gaming friend) was more obsessed with hitting the flying cyclone kick which felt like the ultime satisfying thing to do :D .

Regarding other Double Dragons, I played this on Game Gear, which feels like a kinda "forgotten chapter" a bit in the veins of the mid evolution Winning Elevens :D:

Hard to rank it. While I enjoyed a lot playing it, it surely can't come near DD2 or 3 in terms of affection and "classic" status. I remember it was crazy hard (no idea if it was cause of controls/imput or whatever) and I never beat it, probably rewatching the gameplay video never arrived much more later than beyond mid game. The fact Game Gear eaten batteries like pop corns didn't generally helped the cause but it's another matter lol. Anyway one thing I distinctly remember are the shooting weapons, there was a good number of them in contrast with the other titles of the saga where there simply weren't any and it felt satisfying whenever I could pick one, especially the shotgun. But on the other hand it emphasized the feel this game was quite distant, in terms of sensations, from the other DDs.

I've been playing the first Final Fantasy (for NES), and I'm surprised at how well it holds up. Even though the story is simple, it is still very good, the graphics and sprites are solid (especially in the battles), but where the game really shines is in the gameplay, the stats/weapons/magic and character classes are all very well done and balanced. I love the fact that you can mix and match the different character classes in your party, right now I am playing with a Fighter/Red Mage/Thief/White Mage combination. Another great aspect of this game is the character class change, Fighter becomes Knight, the Mages become Wizards, Thief becomes Ninja, Black Belt becomes Master, etc.. Give this a shot guys if you haven't played it, it's a very solid installment with guaranteed hours of fun. :TU:

@Madmac79 you're making me want to pick up a Game Gear emulator, I think the only Game Gear game I ever played is Sonic the Hedgehog, but now I am curious about this edition of Double Dragon.

Did you ever play Super Double Dragon for the SNES? For some strange reason it never really captured me, maybe I have to give it another go.. But after the amazing Double Dragons for the NES, I was probably expecting more from the SNES version. Something about it seems a little off, I always thought they should've done more for Super Double Dragon, in the 16 bit generation. Kind of like how Ninja Gaiden never really had a SNES version (but that's a topic for another post!) But maybe this is just me loving the 8 bit Double Dragons.. What do you guys think??

@millossobek I strangely never played it, not even in my years ago period of emulation fever. Yeah I have to agree with you, watching the video it totally looks soulless compared with the Nes ones. I think I curiosly wasn't even aware of the existence of this game; I say curiously as I remember actively searching for a DD sequel at the times of my first pc with internet around 2001-2003, only to find this:

It was still a period of mistery, as there wasn't youtube, internet used to be slow and painful etc. etc. you all know what I'm talking about :) , so infos weren't as fluid and immediate as today; anyway, I have an intact memory of finding this rom and downloading it all pumped with the idea of a possible, incredible sequel of the Nes games.. only to find this ugly Street Fighter rip off that felt like an insult, a betrayal to the whole saga. Then I lost interest and just kept my memories of my beloved 2 and 3, with no real further investigations.

Who knows if I'd have found Super Double Dragon instead. Probably it would have captured my interest a bit longer but it's safe to say it wouldn't have stuck in my memory as it looks quite dull. With all the classic of the times that had deign sequels it's so disappointing to see noone was ever able to recapture the early magic of DD!

EDIT:

On a more positive note. Can't remember if you guys already talked about this? :)

Another title that I didn't own, but that accompanied many afternoons with friends as well. I'm reading now it was Rare's final game on Nes and an hell of a technical work.. and I have to agree, remember to this days the animations and the fluidity of it all. Maybe I'd place it a bit under DD 2 and 3 in terms of affection but boy, it was a fantastic game all the same.

Last edited:
@millossobek I strangely never played it, not even in my years ago period of emulation fever. Yeah I have to agree with you, watching the video it totally looks soulless compared with the Nes ones. I think I curiosly wasn't even aware of the existence of this game; I say curiously as I remember actively searching for a DD sequel at the times of my first pc with internet around 2001-2003, only to find this:

It was still a period of mistery, as there wasn't youtube, internet used to be slow and painful etc. etc. you all know what I'm talking about :) , so infos weren't as fluid and immediate as today; anyway, I have an intact memory of finding this rom and downloading it all pumped with the idea of a possible, incredible sequel of the Nes games.. only to find this ugly Street Fighter rip off that felt like an insult, a betrayal to the whole saga. Then I lost interest and just kept my memories of my beloved 2 and 3, with no real further investigations.

Who knows if I'd have found Super Double Dragon instead. Probably it would have captured my interest a bit longer but it's safe to say it wouldn't have stuck in my memory as it looks quite dull. With all the classic of the times that had deign sequels it's so disappointing to see noone was ever able to recapture the early magic of DD!

EDIT:

On a more positive note. Can't remember if you guys already talked about this? :)

Another title that I didn't own, but that accompanied many afternoons with friends as well. I'm reading now it was Rare's final game on Nes and an hell of a technical work.. and I have to agree, remember to this days the animations and the fluidity of it all. Maybe I'd place it a bit under DD 2 and 3 in terms of affection but boy, it was a fantastic game all the same.
One of the best crossovers in gaming history, imho.

Why I have a feeling I've played this on SNES though? Is my memory so old?

@Madmac79 Yes bro, I totally agree. SNES Super Double Dragon just doesn't have the same.. soul as 2 and 3.. Which are the absolute pinnacle of the series. Even though 2 and 3 are different, they are both insanely good games, they both have that "street" element to it which makes it great, you really feel like you're fighting against 80's bad guys. I think the Final Fights, for the SNES, actually follow up on that element quite nicely.. But I will definitely get into Final Fight later on.. Battletoads vs Double Dragon was a very fun game no doubt, but something about it seemed a little off to me, like the two worlds were too different for them to mesh together IMO haha.. I guess I'm just a very classic Double Dragon fan, I love the original concept, the enemies and the overall world is awesome.

Now I would like to focus a little bit on the original Double Dragon! This was a great game.. One interesting aspect about it was the fact that you unlocked the powers as you went through,, so you started off as a basic fighter but then the different moves like headlock, flying kick, etc.. were unlocked.. It's not as complete and polished a game as 2 or 3, but still when it comes to the spirit of the game, it has all the classic elements which started the whole saga, the picturesque enemies, the down n' dirty feeling to the stages, everything just feels very cool. Oh, and not to mention the "B side" of the game, one on one battles against your enemies in a temple, and you had the start of one of my favorite sagas ever! 🐉 🐉

Last edited:
Oh, nothing for the moment : i need to format my SD Card as i got some issues with pad etc.
I think to reinstall Batocera V31 (the V32 doesn't work with my scanlines generator, neither Recalbox V8)
I reinstalled Recalbox but i got more issue about my controllers too with Recalbox. I didn't paid more or less 70-80 euros of super pad 8bitdo for having an issue every time i make it run. I didn't got those stuffs with Batocera from the 29 to the 31... Then the 32 messed up the rest.

Ah yes, i wanted to talk about one special console i was discovering, even if i got all the isos on my hard drive : the PC Engine CD.
That version of PC Engine got what they called an "arcade card", a bit like the Saturn got for some games. But that one was a bit like a booster for CD loading, but also worked for some games on PC Engine... For i don't know what.

It's sad that too many games are in Japanese. Some games can be translated if you enter in the bios, a bit like the Neo Geo.

Will post some vids : i was outstanded by Art of Fighting version i played on it : that one was the closer Arcade port i ever played : better than Snes for a "8 bits" console !! There's also Street Fighter 1. I remember played it on Arcade, after the 2 lol, i think the guy who owned the Arcade probably asked "give me Street Fighter" and what he received was a scam :LMAO:

There's tons of version of PC Engine, with different possibilies i have no idea about it.

Example with the pads for each version : there's also a 3, and a 6 buttons controller lol. Some pics
Just to show how many version they did (Duo was CD + PC Engine. Coregrafx and Supergrafx were the American names)

1639710799128.png

The most common was that one :

1639710488167.png
Same as the most common PC Engine CD : it's white but you can add the black version above on the CD.

1639710445196.png

There's also a 6 button pad for more games than i trough

Some PC Engine CD games, and one which particularly became cult. Sad that it never imported in Europe and very very rare in America :

Art of Fighting

Street Fighter 1 (renamed Fighting Street lol) people said it was bad, but i kinda liked it on Arcade

Dragon Ball Z / One of the closest version to the anime of all time!

Lord of Thunder (the game was better rated than the Mega CD version)

And Finally the version "8 bits" (well, 12 bits let's say) of SFII Champion Edition on PC Engine NOT CD, very impressive for that console, Capcom and Konami were really above all when it came to port Arcade (Sega too, but only on their consoles)

@vialli82 I'm not really familiar with PC Engine games, but they look very fun! I find it so interesting because it's kind of like an intermediate between 8 bit and 16 bit, kind of like Game Gear, right? I especially like the "Lords of Thunder", kind of looks like Knights of the Round meets Gradius, a cool concept!

Maybe we could also include Neo Geo games in here?? Man, Neo Geo is an awesome consoles, and since it is easy to play with emulator, it's great. My favorite fighting series of all time, surprisingly, is not Mortal Kombat, or Street Fighter, or even King of Fighters (even though this one comes a close second).. it is Samurai Shodown!! I thought IV was one of the best installments out there, I especially played the Neo Geo version.. And my fighting character of all time, the ultimate badass YAGYU JUBEI!!

Big fan of Samurai Shodown series. But unfortunately, it was only on arcade, some ports on console like Samurai Shodown 3 on PS1, but not the 2 which is fantastic (and as good in my opinion). Even in Arcade i found one with Samurai Shodown 2 but very far from where i live, i was surpised there was a second version.

I ended with the 4, tried the big version on PS2 with almost 60 characters lol, and hesitated to buy the version 3D for PS4.

Well, with the recoil, it's hard to place it as favourite as it's a weapon based combat, which was a lot different, but on my overall top of all type of fighting game including 3D, yes. It's probably the one i took more pleasure on it.

Anecdote : all characters are inspired by existing historical persons from all eras. Hattori Hanzo was a great ninja, Kakui Jubei a samurai master, etc. etc.
But also the others characters. Earthquake based on the wrestler, Charlotte should normally would have been Jeanne D'Arc but for to assign some historical character real names from others countries.

The "main" character don't have his name but it's the considered strongest Samurai of all time but also a master, an artist (he paint) and he wrote a book of philosophy : Haomaru > Miyamoto Musashi.

And for Tam Tam, he just represent a Maya warrior. Gen-an Shiranui i don't know, there was a Shiranui clan at the time with no historical character super known in japan, he probably represent one guy from that clan.

When you learn that you considers Samurai Shodown as something really special in fact.

Yes! Yagyu Jubei was a Ronin, a Lordless Samurai! To me the utimate badass in SS. :TU:

That's one of the things I loved about Samurai Shodown, a lot of the characters were based on historical characters, or characters which were very typical to Japanese culture. For example, in SS 4 there was a priest called Gaira, I believe he was Buddhist, also how can one forget Kyoshiro, the Kabuki Master.

Another example, I thought it was very cool that Haohmaru was based on Miyamoto Musashi, and Ukyo Tachibana, based on his eternal rival, Sasaki Kojiro!

I even think this stage is based on their famous legendary encounter in Ganryu Island, so awesome!

Yes, for jap people it was history-mystical and the series got a large success, and even for people who don't know Japanese culture it was badass and appealing how SNK "transformed" those characters.
The 2 difference with Haomaru and Musashi was
-He used Niitoryuu (2 katanas style)
-He said himself that he used like training sword, in wood. But it wasn't typical wood lol, more solid.

The reason? The katanas from that time wasn't at all like the one you see in every "history" culture or current, even if they were from Edo's era. They were half heavy as a typical occidental sword, and bigger.
They were much more heavy, solid and dangerous. During this time when he did duels, Musashi used those wood, with 2 sword because as a combat philosopher, on one vs one, he believed that he could move much faster that his opponent with those sword.

If you know the "Baki" manga, there's a full arc with the old man reviving Miyamoto Musashi and as the author is a super fan of all related to fighting, a real encyclopedia about it... The old man gives his best sword to Musashi. And he said "it's not a katana. Could you cut a man in half with that? It's just a katana made for decoration. Rich people and lords offers that to each others. It's not a sword made for war" then he broke the katana in two 🤣

Well, i really liked that part, it shows how the samurai were in the past, and as he was "the best samuraï".

Haomaru style was only because they wanted to represent better the typical samuraï as everyone see it, without armour, based on how Musashi descriptions when he was younger.

@slamsoze @Madmac79 @vialli82

What's up in 8-bit 16-bit retrogaming land bros?? :TU:
Yo mate,i am on some type of "vacation". We traveled in my wifes parent house until Christmas and i decided to leave behind every thing gaming related, even my poor laptop and my Nintendo Switch,where i mostly play my emulators and the official SNES/NES online services (SWITCH).

It was a tough decision, cause my wife's hometown has very few staff to do in free time, and it gets often boring, but given the chance that her parents can take care of our 3 babies for some times, i decided to invest the time in our relationship, go some dates, go restaurant, cinema, and other activities we did when we were just "lovers", before we married and had kids... ;)

So for everything gaming related,i will be active back, after XMAS.. I am in a big PAUSE now, only lurking topics. :)

Last edited:
It's a very good decision, "la routine" we said in french means "every day the same stuffs" can mess up a relation even if people are totally compatible.
Plus with 3 kids, you can't be that compatible. You made a very good decision to revive the before you were only parents. Because at a time, there's only kids that matters, i see that with all my friend who got more than one kid.

Better to play sometimes, but not always, and you enjoy it lesser, the more you play. And nothing seems amusing anymore. I talk a lot about retro gaming but i play by far less and when i came back, it's a real pleasure, more than when i was all for it.

Personally i'm alone, no kids, and i didn't get very lucky in my sentimental life lol. Also didn't made the good decision.
i'm looking younger than my age, and i'm pretty reserved for those things, so i took girls that "asked" to me my phone or whatever else. But some were too young, annoying, nothing in common etc.
Example, the last girl i was with, well, more than a week lol got 25 years old and more the "study" type as i'm not at all, i was 35. Got bored after a month and stopped.

And times have changed a lot since Covid, i was about to found someone, something stable but it killed it. Covid didn't kills me but cuts my bollocks haha

There's one thing : I really hate it with all my heart and never tried once (in fact i'm fearing it a bit, as i'm not used to)
i always meeted women IRL, things were going all by itselve as i ain't at all player or dragger, but i think the only solution is meeting website.
You look like an object, like "take me please i'm alone" but whatever. I will got to put my pride and my hate on OFF. On 2022, i will check seriously, already lost 2 years...
And ATM it's impossible to meet anyone somewhere : you can't even see a face and all with all that mask, it looks like Tchnernobyl 2.0 everywhere, it's upper depressing. So... No way or "No Easy way out" like in Rocky 4, Rocky take his car after Apollo die and all his memory back (i love that scene and the music / Also watched the director cut, it's WAY more like it should have been)

Sorry for the O.T. and "my life, my story" lol. Next, get back to Retrogaming ;)

Last edited:
@vialli82 bro, you should check out my favorite Samurai movies of all time, it is the story of Miyamoto Musashi trilogy..

I don't know if you like these kind of older movies, these are from the 1950's but honestly, I love them, the story is so classic and so great, it really needs no special effects.. With legendary Toshiro Mifune.

If you watch these series, you will see that Musashi when he was younger (called Takezo) is really similar to Haohmaru's brash and somewhat arrogant personality, but also likeable like Haohmaru.. And also, in the second part, when you see Sasaki Kojiro, you'll see what I mean when he is so similar to Ukyo from Samurai Shodown!

Definitely recommended bro! This was a small "movie parenthesis" lol :TU: Anyway I will go back to retrogaming in my next post!

samurai1.jpgsamurai2.jpgsamurai3.jpg

Yo mate,i am on some type of "vacation". We traveled in my wifes parent house until Christmas and i decided to leave behind every thing gaming related, even my poor laptop and my Nintendo Switch,where i mostly play my emulators and the official SNES/NES online services (SWITCH).

It was a tough decision, cause my wife's hometown has very few staff to do in free time, and it gets often boring, but given the chance that her parents can take care of our 3 babies for some times, i decided to invest the time in our relationship, go some dates, go restaurant, cinema, and other activities we did when we were just "lovers", before we married and had kids... ;)

So for everything gaming related,i will be active back, after XMAS.. I am in a big PAUSE now, only lurking topics. :)
:) :) Nice bro, enjoy your vacation with your wife!! Nice to have some alone time! Just make sure you guys take care during pandemic!! :TU: :TU:

@vialli82 So, the PC Engine is the same Turbografx 16?? I'm reading about it in wikipedia and just found that out! Hahaha can't believe I hadn't noticed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboGrafx-16

It was actually known as Turbografx 16 in South America! Very few people had it.. And I was never able to play it.. But looking at lots of gaming magazines when I was a kid, Turbografx games always seemed very fun, and somehow different from the Nintendo/Sega family, so there's so much to be discovered there!

1639857438932.png

@vialli82 So, the PC Engine is the same Turbografx 16?? I'm reading about it in wikipedia and just found that out! Hahaha can't believe I hadn't noticed!
Yes Turbografx 16 is called "16" as it got a 16 bits graphics Cpu with a 8 bit Cpu, an hybrid console.

But there's a successor to the PC Engine! the Supergrafx / 16 bits completely / Only 2 games have been out on that one that really showed the power of the console. It was a monster of power... In fact, it was like a Megadrive with a Snes mixed.

-Darius Plus : which was compatible with PC Engine but with by far less details and colors
-Ghouls'n'ghosts (in japanese only Daimakaimura , better than the Megadrive version in everything)
There's 3 or 4 others (1941 the shoot-them-up if you remember the series)

All games PC Engine/Turbografx 16 games were compatible with. To get that console, you need a lot of money as it's super rare to found one.

It didn't sold well for some reasons, they wanted a plateform to counter Snes outcome. There's multiple reasons it didn't worked like it should be :

https://www.looper.com/422173/why-the-pc-engine-supergrafx-was-a-complete-failure/

The PC Engine is also called Coregrafx, or PCDuo (with the CD) and some others names. PC versions of the games really gives a 16 bits vibes, another stuffs that makes fail the Supergrafx.

One comparison with G'n'G (note : if the picture is smaller, it's mainly because the jap games, like for Snes, were conceived in 8:7 and not 4:3.
That's why some game in Snes looks "flat", just try them in 8:7 and you will get a way better representation. That was the TV's size in Japan like the 60hz vs 50hz.
Even if some games were conceived to work on 4:3, 80% of them were done for a 8:7 TV.

Last edited:
About Musashi : i was about to start (one day) "Vagabond", a manga based on his life. Drawing is superb, perhaps the most realistic in the mangaverse (but in my opinion, it's not better because it's looking photogenic. Some panels from One Punch Man draws by Murata are outstanding)

Check some images

1639909303322.png

Sasaki Kiyojiro (looks exactly the same as in Samurai Shodown!)

1639908901992.png

@vialli82 that manga looks awesome bro, I will try to find it,, I love everything that has to do with Miyamoto Musashi's story, I found a great 2003 J-Drama that is all about Musashi and his life, I'll definitely watch it all as well! Here's the entire first episode with subtitles. :TU:

Anyway guys, going back to retrogaming, maybe I can get the ball rolling with Racing Games! 🚗 🏎️
I think the 8-bit and 16 bit generation had a great set of games, as well as the Turbografx-16.. The first racing game I ever played was
Rad Racer for the NES, I replayed it recently and thought it was very fun going through the different stages, I believe the first one was a desert, also San Francisco, The Grand Canyon, the Ruins of Athens, etc.. I like the simplicity..

Last edited:
This is one of the earliest racing games I was aware of, Road Fighter! Very different from Rad Racer, this one had its own challenges as well. Even though it is still pretty basic, I thought one of the challenges of this one was the little fuel you had to start with. It was different in the sense that you didn't have to reach checkpoints but you actually had to collect candy cars in order to refuel.. This was definitely one of the tougher ones out there.. One of the earliest classics before moving on to a bit more elaborated territory.. :TU:

As you know that i didn't (unfortunately) owned a NES, there was a game like like that, mix shoot and racing i was a big fan on Master System : at every stage your car was transformed in a plane, it was cool at the time

Now about Racing game, perhaps one of my favorite of all with Micro Machine as the view and control, to be honest, fitted better than the one from behind on a 16 bits console / not arcade : for example Hang On, Outrun, Chase HQ were like practically 3D as the sprite were zoomed like if it was on 3D. But it still was pretty cool and i played a tons of games, but it was hard to get that arcade level of "growing" sprites when you advance.

Well here's the game: ROCK'N'ROLL RACING !

Some exception about the 3D feeling was F-Zero who handled really well the mode 7 even if all was flat, it didn't matter : there was less sprite than Mario Kart, and the screen was full.
There a rom about Super Mario Kart on Fullscreen i attached =if you want to try, but it's only running on Snes9x emulator or Bsnes! Tried on my RBPI 3B with every emulator on it, it never worked.
The game was divided in two with the race above, but it was more a tip for giving less work to the Snes.

Top Gear 3000 was also pretty awesome in terms of visual width like if the game was in 3D, with a Mode 7 but not all flat:

Attachments

• SuperMarioKart_FullScreen.rar
    346.3 KB · Views: 1
Nothing related, but i learned pretty late that Double Dragon was out on Megadrive, played at a friend house.
It's probably the best Arcade port they've done, Altered beast and Golden Axe were good but not at Double Dragon Megadrive level.

There's hack correcting colors btw, it's arcade at home. From the vid, it was even more fluid on Megadrive than on Arcade !

Here's the comparison

Rock N Roll Racing looks so fun! I've never played that one before, looks like the fun factor for that one is great!

That's cool you mentioned Top Gear. it is perhaps my favorite Racing games of all time, (I also love Gran Turismo for a more recent non nostalgic feeling, but Top Gear to me has a special place). I played all 3 of them, Top Gear, Top Gear 2, and Top Gear 3000.. I think these games have some of the coolest soundtracks of all time in video games to be honest, I mean listen to this, it sounds soo cool, just makes you wanna race in the futuristic setting.. I also liked the fact that it was an intermediate setting. Not as tough as GT, not as basic as Rad Racer, just a well balanced game.

Another thing that I thought was so original about the series were the upgrades. Having to wait and race and race and get good positions in order to get money for a new engine, that was a rush.. I remember buying a new engine and gearbox and just waiting to see how the car would run, that was a real pleasure, no doubt. I loved the change from 2 to 3000, very original idea to make the game from earth to space racing. But if I would have to pick a favorite, it would definitely be Top Gear 2. Awesome tracks, songs, gameplay. In fact, I think I might even start a campaign right now. :LOL:

Regarding racing games, anybody played RC Pro Am for NES? A friend of mine had it and we played it for countless hours. A fun racer, where you control one of four rc cars in short races with collectibles like power ups and obstacles like oil slicks and stuff. Was frustrating at times but always tons of fun.

One of the very first games I've played "multiplayer" with my cousin,after the Atari games, was Top Gun NES (KONAMI again).
Countless hours of aerial battles, in a time even before i got my first Gameboy.

This game, given the 8-bit status, has not many things to envy from latter flight/airfight "simulators", it stands very good on its own, at least up to the end on 16-bit era..

Nice game, nice memories. :)

Back
Top Bottom