The Retro-PES Corner

Was playing some game here and there in my no effort Master on Winning eleven 2010 Club Championship, and this cool finish by CPU happened:

Admittely I haven't played Pes 2008/onwards as much as others, so maybe it's nothing new for others, but personally I've never seen CPU canceling the power shoot animation halfway to switch with a soft lob of this kind. Was nicely surprised.

A random question...

Who is the best club team on a PS2 PES game? So for example it could be AC Milan on PES 5? Inter on 2008? Barcelona PES 6?

Same question for the national teams too, but to be honest I think that might actually be England sometime around PES 5, 6, 2008.

Milan and Inter of PES 5 & 6.

From mine and my friend's experience back at that era, MILAN PES 5 was the most difficult team to face, CPU or Human controlled.

INTER MILAN in my opinion was the more fun to play,than MILAN, due to player variation. MILAN pushed you hard to play 4-4-2 diamond with DMF-CMF-CMF-AMF. INTER had Recoba, VAn Der Meyde, Killy Gonzalez, Dejan Stankovic at general more versatile players, allowing more variation in formations.
Milan PES 5 on the other hand, had the most complete defense line i have ever seen in any PES game. Maldini-Stam-Costacurta-Kaladze-Dario Simic-Cafu-Jankulovski. Only Esajas was a dicordance there!

For some reason in my experience, Barcelona and Real Madrid from PES 3 to 6 were playing very bad teamwork wise, and were bad both CPU or human controlled. IMHO KONAMI started to adapt the gameplay to help BARCELONA shine and showcase their skills, initially after PES 2008 (nextgen) and mostly after PES 2011(nextgen).

P.S.1: Also after the GOD-TIER MILAN-INTER, the very next S-TIER pair was Arsenal-Chelsea in PES5. Although in PES 6 they declined both.

P.S.2: Barcelona of PES 4 was also decent enough, not MILAN-INTER level from PES 5 & 6, but too rough still.

This would be a great idea, especially for the twitter guys, to create a poll to vote best teams based in their PES appearences.

Last edited:
A random question...

Who is the best club team on a PS2 PES game? So for example it could be AC Milan on PES 5? Inter on 2008? Barcelona PES 6?

Same question for the national teams too, but to be honest I think that might actually be England sometime around PES 5, 6, 2008.
Inter PES 6 as well, I used to win European Championship finals easily in PES 6 ML, like I would score at the first half and then the second goal at the second half to secure the title. But the final I played against Inter... My god I honestly thought that one was going to give me the silver medal instead of the trophy. They just wouldn't let me play. Luckily I resisted until the penalty shootout after a 0-0 draw and then I won.

Is there a pack of logos (if possible the same format as in the original PES 5/6 game, so front view and without any effects) to download with classic logos from 1980s, 90s and 2000s that can be added by using game graphic studio and put them in the unnamed files? I have been looking around a lot, most I find are for 2014 or newer, so many clubs are missing that I need or have newer logos.

The next match in the EURO's is complete :)

Portugal v Denmark (me)

Portugal won all 3 games in the 'Group of Death' while Denmark scraped through their group by means of a Cornelius hat-trick against Russia in the final game. In fact I just realised that his goal in 90+ minutes is what got them through as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

Also the April update for the option file has now been uploaded for PS2 and PSP, the link is in my signature.:)

Last edited:
I was playing some ISS 2 on PS2 this week and it got me wondering was the PS2 ISS games the first Konami football games to introduce game speed options in the main menu?

Of course we wouldn't see this incorporated in PES until 2011 and even then there was no range as you could only increase the game speed up to +2 but not in the negative in true Konami logic. Was quite interesting KCEJ and KCEO didn't cross incorporate more ideas on the PS2.

I was playing some ISS 2 on PS2 this week and it got me wondering was the PS2 ISS games the first Konami football games to introduce game speed options in the main menu?

Of course we wouldn't see this incorporated in PES until 2011 and even then there was no range as you could only increase the game speed up to +2 but not in the negative in true Konami logic. Was quite interesting KCEJ and KCEO didn't cross incorporate more ideas on the PS2.

You could be right. I think on the PS1 ISS/PES games you could only change the speed in-game.

Scenarios and a coin toss. It's all I wanted, Tokyo...

Out of all the PS2 PES I've replayed last month I can safely say WE7i was the best. It captured the essence of football perfectly. A win in this game felt extremely satisfying, and a loss insufferable - it's hard
That's exactly how I feel with PES5. I remember how I struggled to win Copa América, and how satisfying it was when I did.
It may seem meaningless, but to me the turning point was when Konami decided to put the referee in the field at all times rather than just on cutscenes.
does anyone have the pes management game for PS2 on PC?
I had it. Not sure I still do. But yeah, it's not hard to find the ISO floating around.
I particularly prefer Let's Make a Soccer Team, though. It's not as good-looking as PESM, but it's much deeper.

Actually, scratch whatever I wrote about WE7i/PES3. There's a reason why it never came up in most people's minds when asked about the old PES games. The script is too heavy: every single human tackle hitting the ball is called foul, AI fouling with impunity (I witness my players being hacked down from behind in ML, twice in a game, without referee blowing), soft penos, mysterious AI crosses that freeze your control of the whole back line, and "catch up bug" (or feature). It can be fun to play, but goddamn it when the script kicks in it's insufferable

It's a shame how Seabass made those games the way they were: great, but it's like he intentionally left at least a few frustrating things for the players

Last edited:
Actually, scratch whatever I wrote about WE7i/PES3. There's a reason why it never came up in most people's minds when asked about the old PES games. The script is too heavy: every single human tackle hitting the ball is called foul, AI fouling with impunity (I witness my players being hacked down from behind in ML, twice in a game, without referee blowing), soft penos, mysterious AI crosses that freeze your control of the whole back line, and "catch up bug" (or feature). It can be fun to play, but goddamn it when the script kicks in it's insufferable

It's a shame how Seabass made those games the way they were: great, but it's like he intentionally left at least a few frustrating things for the players

I actually cite this as one of the reasons I prefer PES3 and family, because I find the handicapping less obvious in it than in later PS2 games! The freezing back line at crosses really pisses me off though.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, much of the classic PS2 PES DNA is on PES3, right down to the scripted difficulty.
Sometimes I think the real reason why most people laud PES6 as the best in the series is that it's largely the same great game as 5, except that the AI got noticeably more lenient in it.

On another note, here's some kit concepts for the D2 League in PES 2012 (home kits only, just to show them off). I'd had another idea for this league, which was to take fictional soccer teams from all over and make them here, but then I figured out the game can only store 51 badges Edit Mode, and I'd already used up 47 for Premier League, Portuguese League and Bundesliga, which also sank my plans of making a "Rest of World" block (I mean, I still made it, just not as big as I wanted to); I had to use up the remaining four with Asian and African clubs - two each - to randomize the Club International Cup at the end of the year. A big waste considering the game can save 600 custom jerseys (I have kits for all unlicensed teams, plus these, and their total doesn't even get to 400).
The only thing left now is finding a website where I can get the faces of the classic players in a size good enough to import them.

Last edited:
Oh dear this would be a dream.
I did the same for PES 3 but I went and changed kits and crests in the data file (plus PES 3 had very few licensed teams so it was easier)...
What I can tell you is that you can "use" Other Teams C's logos with some fantasy. I mean, you have the logo of Team A? Why won't it be used for a team called, who knows, "Atlético Fuenlabrada" or "RCD Antequera" from Spain. You have the B, it may be "Borussia Berlin" (incidentally, the name of the team I used to have in FUT but we're off topic), Team R could become "Ribatejo FC" from Portugal... Something like that.

As for names and surnames, other than to the ever-useful FM saves with newgens, I'd suggest you to have a look here:
https://www.behindthename.com/
https://surnames.behindthename.com/
https://forebears.io/

They've been very very useful to me when creating the PES 3 content.
Fun fact: there's a team in Germany called "Tennis Borussia Berlin", it used to play in the Bundesliga back in the 70's

Afternoon all. I have a quick question if I may?
I am currently playing PES 2013 on PC & have some stadiums installed under the GDB structure. Is there a way that I can assign a stadium as a teams home ground in the way you can on other 2021 for example? The Map file that came with the stadiums only lists the number of stadiums and the paths so that the game can load them.
I can load them manually before each game using the pop up overlay, but if the game does it automatically it would save a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Russ

Afternoon all. I have a quick question if I may?
I am currently playing PES 2013 on PC & have some stadiums installed under the GDB structure. Is there a way that I can assign a stadium as a teams home ground in the way you can on other 2021 for example? The Map file that came with the stadiums only lists the number of stadiums and the paths so that the game can load them.
I can load them manually before each game using the pop up overlay, but if the game does it automatically it would save a lot of hassle.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Russ
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can. I remember wondering that a little while ago when I was playing 13 and couldn't see any way to do it.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can. I remember wondering that a little while ago when I was playing 13 and couldn't see any way to do it.
Yeah that's kinda the conclusion I have come to. You can do it in older games right or am I making that up?
It's possible via the in game overlay but is just easier if it's all set up beforehand. I was hoping there was something that you could add into the map file but I guess there isn't unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply though :)

Back
Top Bottom