The Retro-PES Corner

@geeeeee Very much enjoying your Euros man. I had a stab at taking England to glory ahead of this summer and was surprised at how tough it was. I didn't even qualify for the tournement proper! Odd given how much I've played ML on PES 2008 (PS2).

@du0 How do you even go about editing pitch textures on PS2 PES? I thought that was a PC only thing.

I've just changed my set up and hooked my PS2 up to a HDTV with a HDMI converter rather than to an old CRT (it was taking up too much space and the missus rightly complained). It's an old HDTV with 720p and, crucially, it can run games in 4:3 format so not strrrrrrreeeetching. I'm also using a different camera setting - one of the Braodcast ones on 9 angle.

It's great to be back on PES 2008 ML. I'm now up to season 2018 and still loving it compared to the state of current gen PES and, dare I say it, current gen footy. ;)

@geeeeee Very much enjoying your Euros man. I had a stab at taking England to glory ahead of this summer and was surprised at how tough it was. I didn't even qualify for the tournement proper! Odd given how much I've played ML on PES 2008 (PS2).

@du0 How do you even go about editing pitch textures on PS2 PES? I thought that was a PC only thing.

I've just changed my set up and hooked my PS2 up to a HDTV with a HDMI converter rather than to an old CRT (it was taking up too much space and the missus rightly complained). It's an old HDTV with 720p and, crucially, it can run games in 4:3 format so not strrrrrrreeeetching. I'm also using a different camera setting - one of the Braodcast ones on 9 angle.

It's great to be back on PES 2008 ML. I'm now up to season 2018 and still loving it compared to the state of current gen PES and, dare I say it, current gen footy. ;)

I'd recommend a component cable if your TV can take it, having used both it and an HDMI converter - just a friendly suggestion!

Ironically I'm in the market for a CRT, but that's mainly for 16-bit.

@Flipper the Priest My TV hasn't got component input but I've tried that connection on another TV and I didn't find it much better than the HDMI convertor. I do like the CRT but you can see why we all were so desperate to get shot of them when LCD/plasma TVs came in. I'll put it in stoarge, just in case though.

@Flipper the Priest My TV hasn't got component input but I've tried that connection on another TV and I didn't find it much better than the HDMI convertor. I do like the CRT but you can see why we all were so desperate to get shot of them when LCD/plasma TVs came in. I'll put it in stoarge, just in case though.

Ah okay. I found the converter looked good in menus, text etc but that the picture was really noisy on the pitch. Whereas the component cable looked good. All said, it was a pretty cheap converter.

I keep forgetting just how big CRTs are. It's ridiculous and I'm working with limited space!

Thanks @reinelt97 that's much appreciated. Sometimes I wonder whether it is worth all the effort doing the videos but if one or two get some enjoyment out of it then it's worth it :)

Yes it is difficult. Playing the EUROs, I haven't done a count but, I think I am losing more than 50% of the games. In PES5 I would win more so when playing a competition as all teams against the CPU, the team I controlled always had the advantage but in 2008 it is the opposite.

I am pleased you are back playing ML and that you have the camera sorted. I may try a different angle eventually.

So back into the EURO's.

Here are the top 10 goals from fixture 3, in no particular order.

Here are the final group tables:

A3.jpgB3.jpgC3.jpgD3.jpgE3.jpgF3.jpg

The top 2 teams go through along with the 4 best third placed teams. Which means the teams that qualify for the Round of 16 are:

1st Place - Wales, Belgium, Netherlands, England, Spain, Portugal
2nd Place - Italy, Finland, Ukraine, Czech, Slovakia, Hungary
3rd Place - Denmark, Scotland, Poland, France

The shock of the tournament so far is no Germany after that hammering against Hungary. Denmark and Serbia actually finished on the same points, goals etc... so it came down to discipline. It turned out that Luka Jovic's sending off against Netherlands cost Serbia their place in the knockout stage. It worked out quite well really as Serbia only qualified because North Macedonia are not in PES2008.

Here is the draw for the Round of 16:

Tournament Table.jpg

:)

@geeeeee I'm going to predict Belgium v Portugal and Spain v Italy semi finals.

Pleased that Mourinho has gone? Hopefully they'll be enjoyable to watch again now at least. :))

@geeeeee I'm going to predict Belgium v Portugal and Spain v Italy semi finals.

Pleased that Mourinho has gone? Hopefully they'll be enjoyable to watch again now at least. :))

You had better hope i’m not in control of any of those teams :LOL:

Regarding Mourinho, yep it is such a relief. I have never felt so empty about a season in all my years supporting Spurs. I wasn't even interested in the Final. I know that he is not the only one to blame but with him there the confidence was completely drained out of them.

@geeeeee Yeah it will be interesting to see how they play tonight. Much more attacking I would hope.

I got a ML started on the PES 2008 emulator. I decided to pick Helsinki for a real challenge and after 3 games I think I'm in for one! Lost 0-3 and 0-2 then got a 1-1 against 7th place! Been out shot about 50 shots to 10 so far in total in those three games! All good fun though. :))

@geeeeee Yeah it will be interesting to see how they play tonight. Much more attacking I would hope.

I got a ML started on the PES 2008 emulator. I decided to pick Helsinki for a real challenge and after 3 games I think I'm in for one! Lost 0-3 and 0-2 then got a 1-1 against 7th place! Been out shot about 50 shots to 10 so far in total in those three games! All good fun though. :))

They played pretty poor in the first half but thankfully they did better in the second half and actually looked like they were enjoying their football again. Bale played well and didn't look tired at all. :)

Yes it is tough Matt, are you using the default or Helsinki team?

Here is the first match of the Round of 16 in the EUROs, and it's a cracker.

Belgium (me) v France

France got that crucial third just before half time, but Belgium battled well in the second half and should have got the equaliser. Lloris and some great clearances got France over the line.

@geeeeee Well my prediction aged well :LOL: Great game though! Yeah I watched the Spurs game, they seemed very subdued first half but got well on top in the second and for once I thought there were two good VAR decisions, with both the disallowed goal and the penalty.

It's the Helsinki team. I think the defaults might be better :YES:

I checked today and saw that in the entire history of the European Cup/UEFA Champions League to this date there have been only 77 different clubs that reached the semi finals. The latest addition to this list was RB Leipzig after reaching the semis last season.

For some reason I thought there were more? Lmao.

Okay here's the idea (I probably won't be able to do it myself due to lack of time): a PES 6 updated OF, that has the current squads of all the 77 clubs that have reached the UCL semis at least once, plus of course more extra clubs since there's only 77 clubs that reached UCL semis xd.

EDIT: There's 77 if you count the teams that reached that group stage from the 1991-92 and 1992-93 seasons in which there were two groups and the winner of each group went directly to the final, I count them since they basically reached the round that got you qualified to the final so yeah, idk if you don't count it I think there would be 74 clubs because Sampdoria, Sparta Praha and CSKA Moscow would be excluded. But I count them since one of those three clubs managed to reach the final (Sampdoria in '92).

I checked today and saw that in the entire history of the European Cup/UEFA Champions League to this date there have been only 77 different clubs that reached the semi finals. The latest addition to this list was RB Leipzig after reaching the semis last season.

For some reason I thought there were more? Lmao.

Okay here's the idea (I probably won't be able to do it myself due to lack of time): a PES 6 updated OF, that has the current squads of all the 77 clubs that have reached the UCL semis at least once, plus of course more extra clubs since there's only 77 clubs that reached UCL semis xd.

EDIT: There's 77 if you count the teams that reached that group stage from the 1991-92 and 1992-93 seasons in which there were two groups and the winner of each group went directly to the final, I count them since they basically reached the round that got you qualified to the final so yeah, idk if you don't count it I think there would be 74 clubs because Sampdoria, Sparta Praha and CSKA Moscow would be excluded. But I count them since one of those three clubs managed to reach the final (Sampdoria in '92).

Nice idea. It'd be tough seeing Dundee United in there and not Aberdeen but ah well!

////

Back with another Master League episode. Such a tight league so far, and getting increasingly tough as the other teams have strengthened really well. Up against it, but still in the hunt for the playoffs!

Nice idea. It'd be tough seeing Dundee United in there and not Aberdeen but ah well!

I mean, with being only 77 clubs that reached the semis Aberdeen can be one of the extra teams being added to fill the remaining spots of the OF, since there are 139 clubs in the game.
It would be those 77 clubs, plus other 62 clubs that never reached a European semi, and that means Aberdeen can be one of those 62 other clubs.

//

By the way does any one of you guys know how to transfer the data from a PES 5 option file to PES 6? Because I wanted to do that with @TheKusanagiBlade's OF but I can't seem to be able to do it.
I have it downloaded but when I go to Options to do the tranfer, the game says they don't find any PES 5 OF. What can I do to enable the game to detect the OF?

They played pretty poor in the first half but thankfully they did better in the second half and actually looked like they were enjoying their football again. Bale played well and didn't look tired at all. :)

Yes it is tough Matt, are you using the default or Helsinki team?

Here is the first match of the Round of 16 in the EUROs, and it's a cracker.

Belgium (me) v France

France got that crucial third just before half time, but Belgium battled well in the second half and should have got the equaliser. Lloris and some great clearances got France over the line.

Hell of a game. Loved the Kante goal (sorry!).

I am trying to create a 100% fictional option file in PES 6 with no real clubs and no real players (except for Adriano since he's the player who appears in the menu of the game, I was planning to make him an unlockable player).
Oh dear this would be a dream.
I did the same for PES 3 but I went and changed kits and crests in the data file (plus PES 3 had very few licensed teams so it was easier)...
What I can tell you is that you can "use" Other Teams C's logos with some fantasy. I mean, you have the logo of Team A? Why won't it be used for a team called, who knows, "Atlético Fuenlabrada" or "RCD Antequera" from Spain. You have the B, it may be "Borussia Berlin" (incidentally, the name of the team I used to have in FUT but we're off topic), Team R could become "Ribatejo FC" from Portugal... Something like that.

As for names and surnames, other than to the ever-useful FM saves with newgens, I'd suggest you to have a look here:
https://www.behindthename.com/
https://surnames.behindthename.com/
https://forebears.io/

They've been very very useful to me when creating the PES 3 content.

@geeeeee Well my prediction aged well :LOL: Great game though! Yeah I watched the Spurs game, they seemed very subdued first half but got well on top in the second and for once I thought there were two good VAR decisions, with both the disallowed goal and the penalty.

It's the Helsinki team. I think the defaults might be better :YES:

:LOL: Fortunately no bets were taken.

I felt sorry for Belgium though because Lukaku who scored in their first group game was unfit for the rest of their games and I think they missed him plus I was in control.

@geeeeee Great game. Love that miss by the French on 20mins. A right howler but rather realistic. Lloris rode his luck didn't he?

There were a lot of goal mouth scrambles which I like. It's a shame that the game only 'remembers' so much of the play. I hate pausing the game so that I can look at the replay from different angles but if it's left too late that part of the replay is gone.

Hell of a game. Loved the Kante goal (sorry!).

I loved it too, the way he controlled it with his head and then whacked it in. Great stuff! :)

Next game in the Round of 16 is Wales v Ukraine (me).

I actually played this game before the Spurs game against Southampton. I think the real Bale tried to copy his goal in this match. A great win for Wales, not a brilliant game but that is what I like about retro PES, some games good some games bad. The win means they face France :)

@geeeeee Uncanny how similar the Bale goal was, even the end of the celebration had similarities.

I was just thinking, you are in danger of being knocked out of your own tournament 😁

I don t know if anyone remembers in pes 2017, playing the asian cup with lebanon, who has players 60 and 65s , i managed to make it to the final with those bunch of players and the game feels much better when u play in low tier slow team like lebanon, i enjoyed pes 2017 a lot with low tier teams

Back
Top Bottom