The Retro FIFA Discussion Thread (All FIFA games by EA are welcome!)

I know it's been said before (likely by me after an edible) but I can't believe we live in an age where we're close to Artificial Intelligence and robots walking among us and we're having to go back to FIFA 19, 16 and way prior just to have a bloody enjoyable football game :RANT:

it seems we will end up like in terminator 2 or atlas movies sooner then we imagined.

I've been replaying FIFA 16 lately. I couldn't like it. As AI would pass and turn and make decisions way too fast, robot like, few errors, twitchy, even using other's sliders I wasn't satisfied. I have since messed with sliders myself and my passing and shooting settings, it is fantastic. AI are challenging, unpredictable and make realistic errors. Passing for me is loose, but fair and doable. Real risk reward thing with it, as it should be. Shouldn't just be able to mindlessly spam pass with no thought. I edited pass error, speed etc. Moreso shooting is excellent. Variety and you can do many types of shot. The key for me is R1 button alot, as it gives tighter 1st touch and close control/dragbacks to carefully keep possession. Think I slightly prefer FIFA 14 untouched, but as a package 16 is right next to it.

I know it's been said before (likely by me after an edible) but I can't believe we live in an age where we're close to Artificial Intelligence and robots walking among us and we're having to go back to FIFA 19, 16 and way prior just to have a bloody enjoyable football game :RANT:
Well, the classics are classics for a reason. I mean PES 5 and 6, FIFA 11, 16 were invented even before all of this, maybe we just don't need a robot revolution but only a good, solidly built game which respects the great offline gameplay.. :LOL:

It's hard for me to understand why in 2024, when the possibilities of creation are huge, football fans have only 1 title at their disposal that has a career mode. And this is basically its only advantage, because the gameplay has been heading in the wrong direction for several years. We are talking about a game simulating the most popular and profitable sport in the world. We should have at least 3-4 high-level games to choose from. The same thing happened with football managers. Only FM remains.... That's why we come back and still play PES 6, FIFA 11 or 16 because they were games created not only for online players but mainly for the career mode. Moreover, there was a lot of competition between Konami and EA sports and that's why they were created after just good games. Now the only hope for this situation to return is 2K and their FIFA

Well, the classics are classics for a reason. I mean PES 5 and 6, FIFA 11, 16 were invented even before all of this, maybe we just don't need a robot revolution but only a good, solidly built game which respects the great offline gameplay.. :LOL:
Oh go away with this "I don't want to be raped and murdered by robots" attitude. You'll like it and be happy :APPLAUD:

@TheWolf

Actually, I never said that, all I said is that PES 5, 6, and FIFA 11 and 16 are good offline gameplay games without the need of an AI overhaul. :LOL:

Anyway, FIFA 19 is a great game too, very solid gameplay in both Manager and Career Mode. :TU:

Last edited:
Question for console users. How the heck do we unlock the catalogue items, now that servers went down?
As far as I know, you can't unlock the catalogue items on console.

If anyone does know, feel free to advise.
Hi both, the code required and input location to get the catalogue unlocked offline is well known.

The problem is being able to modify your game files to be able to do it, which modern consoles don’t allow out of the box.

This means you’ll need to have a hardware modified Xbox 360, or a jailbroken PS3 to be able to do it.

It may also be possible on a PS4 and the Frostbite FIFA games assuming that the PS4 jailbreak gives you full read/write access to internal game files (which would mean you can access and modify locale.ini contained in the Frostbite game files in the same way as the below steps, noting that the .big stuff is not applicable to Frostbite).

Note that this cannot be done on the Xbox One, Series X and PS5, as those have not been compromised by modders and they cannot run modified game code.

Steps
Find the locale.big in the FIFA game files, copy to your computer, extract its contents using a .big software tool of your choice, add the following lines to the locale.ini file, save it, and then rebuild the locale.big

Replace the existing locale.big in the FIFA game files on the modified/jailbroken console using a USB stick, and then play the game. Good to go.

[]
UCC_MULTICHARACTER = 1
UNLOCK_ALL_UCC = 1
UCC = 1

[POW]
ENABLE_ALL_UNLOCKABLES = 1

I’ve attached the one I’ve previously done for 2014 FIFA World Cup for the Xbox 360 as an example.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 2014 FIFA World Cup.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 4
I've been replaying FIFA 16 lately. I couldn't like it. As AI would pass and turn and make decisions way too fast, robot like, few errors, twitchy, even using other's sliders I wasn't satisfied. I have since messed with sliders myself and my passing and shooting settings, it is fantastic. AI are challenging, unpredictable and make realistic errors. Passing for me is loose, but fair and doable. Real risk reward thing with it, as it should be. Shouldn't just be able to mindlessly spam pass with no thought. I edited pass error, speed etc. Moreso shooting is excellent. Variety and you can do many types of shot. The key for me is R1 button alot, as it gives tighter 1st touch and close control/dragbacks to carefully keep possession. Think I slightly prefer FIFA 14 untouched, but as a package 16 is right next to it.
Just went back to FIFA 14 after years away. Yeah I think it is better than 16. I remember being very good at 14, so figured yeah just do normal formation, I'll blitz this, but NOOO I was wrong. Started manager career as Spurs, got sacked 1st season, Took over Leicester in Championship, midseason, midtable. I went on a great run near end of season but just missed out on playoffs. I think, OK, next season I'm up, easy! NOPE. I am something like 16th and have good defence but I think lowest scorers in the league. I just can't create clear chances. I have had to tweak and tweak and tweak my formation and exactly how I play, how I press, when, how I pass, when I run etc. There is such depth to the gameplay and the AI are very challenging in defence and attack. My biggest joy is the feeling of satisfaction you get when you time run perfectly then nail a pinged ball across the pitch. Similarly I find dribbling so satisfying. It really does feel like dribbling IRL. I can sprint then stop then hold off defender then stop dead, use defender's inertia against him etc. I think it has maybe best dribbling in any FIFA/PES. 16 is similar in many ways, but I like 14 more.

If anyone with nvidia gpus have fifa 09, could you guys check if you all get the T-pose bug?

I had been getting T-pose bug on my 980 Ti and never managed to fix it in last 8 years. Recently my GPU died and I just started using my CPU's integrated gpu (intel hd 530) and the bug is gone. Also before I got my 980 ti, I was playing fifa 09 on my laptop which had AMD gpu.

It's possible that the bug is limited to nvidia gpus and most likely a driver issue since the problem definitely wasn't there with 8800 gt and older gpus. But I need to confirm. If it can be suspected as a driver issue, we need to report this to nvidia in hopes they care enough to fix it [hopefully they will since they do usually fix gamebreaking bugs on older games].

Just went back to FIFA 14 after years away. Yeah I think it is better than 16. I remember being very good at 14, so figured yeah just do normal formation, I'll blitz this, but NOOO I was wrong. Started manager career as Spurs, got sacked 1st season, Took over Leicester in Championship, midseason, midtable. I went on a great run near end of season but just missed out on playoffs. I think, OK, next season I'm up, easy! NOPE. I am something like 16th and have good defence but I think lowest scorers in the league. I just can't create clear chances. I have had to tweak and tweak and tweak my formation and exactly how I play, how I press, when, how I pass, when I run etc. There is such depth to the gameplay and the AI are very challenging in defence and attack. My biggest joy is the feeling of satisfaction you get when you time run perfectly then nail a pinged ball across the pitch. Similarly I find dribbling so satisfying. It really does feel like dribbling IRL. I can sprint then stop then hold off defender then stop dead, use defender's inertia against him etc. I think it has maybe best dribbling in any FIFA/PES. 16 is similar in many ways, but I like 14 more.

Yep, I've tried quite a few games now, trying to find one to settle on.

PES17 & FIFA 16 are both very good but FIFA 14 is the one.

I'm on console, so no mods. I've setup my own sliders. Most drastic one is shot speed at 53.

What this has done, is allowed me to score some absolute worldies. If you catch a volley or hit a long ranger at the right time, it absolutely rockets into the net.

I've tinkered with shot speed on other FIFAs and it doesn't seem to have the same effect with just a slight tweak.

Will be starting a new Career Mode in a bit, probably as AC Milan who are my go to for saves.

I'm on console, so no mods. I've setup my own sliders. Most drastic one is shot speed at 53.

What this has done, is allowed me to score some absolute worldies. If you catch a volley or hit a long ranger at the right time, it absolutely rockets into the net.

I've tinkered with shot speed on other FIFAs and it doesn't seem to have the same effect with just a slight tweak.

Will be starting a new Career Mode in a bit, probably as AC Milan who are my go to for saves.
Ah interesting. Yes, I am on console too. I did change some sliders, but wasn't satisfied, so went back to vanilla. That reminds me with the shot speed comment. The variety in the shooting is fantastic too, then add in the big differences in shooting with a guy who can't shoot and a guy who has high ratings. The gulf is massive. You really feel the different in attributes in players. Especially the traits like long ranger etc, every player feels very unique, it's like each attribute is so defined.

I know sounding like a crazy fanboy here now, but the more I'm playing FFA 14, the more and more I appreciate it. I don't know why I ever stopped playing it.

I'm in the middle of a game (me Swiss v England) and I'm enjoying it so much, that I then start thinking, OK I like this, but come on, surely there are faults to it? Then I struggle to find many.

Shooting = great variety, challenging and realistic, especially on semi. Headers feel weighty and realistic and same for volleys and long shots, long shooting especially is very satisfying, especially with a player with powerful shooting.

Dribbling = excellent, can do many, many things and react spontaneously to the situation with a plethora of options.

AI = Great. Attack like a human and defend in a realistic shape, some teams press high, some don't, some attack, some all out defend. Very human-like, will make mistakes if pressed well, but punish you if you press badly. Shooting is realistic, they miss some and score most they should. Will dribble, will try things I don't expect.

Goalies = Mine is fine, nothing spectacular, but they do everything well. COM goalies are usually a tough test, will come out quickly for 1on1s and will often close angles and make good saves if the ball isn't right in the corner.

Fouls = OK. Last game there were about 8/9 fouls and 3 yellows. And AI will often hack you down if you are breaking away on a transition.

Runs = Pretty good. AI make very good runs that are often find hard to track whilst pressing the ball. My team-mates runs are usually what I'd expect and then R1 will obviously help too.

Tactics = I think they work well, as they should, and the game really requires you to tinker and tweak the formation and how you play. Hence I was 16th after 20 games and now I'm 3rd, with pretty much same team and mostly cos I created a formation and way to play that allowed me to compete.

Inertia = Exceptional.

Ball physics = Ball physics seem very good to me, like a 8.5/10, played on mostly semi settings. I really like the general tempo of games and the amount of freedom I have with short and long passes. As you can easily overhit long passes, crosses or through balls. So when you get it right, it feels extra special.

Collisions = VERY good. I think maybe the best. It's very satisfying jumping for headers and sliding into tackles, or trying to hold off players with the shield button.

Player ID = OK. Controlling different types of player, you can definitely feel a big difference. You notice who can shoot/pass/dribble and turn well. Fast players feel fast, slow strong players feel so. Players do feel unique.

Career Mode = Excellent. Would be here all day if said all the good little ideas in here. I like all the news items and how I have to scout players many times to even get a picture of a player's stats that I don't already know. I like the steady player progression and youth academy system too. My players will often talk to me and get annoyed if they are not playing and even demand a transfer out. Transfers by me and AI seem pretty realistic in terms of prices and who goes where.

One slight negative is I wish the superstar teams and players were a little more unique and difficult than the regular players, but at the same time they are still very good.

Current day EA are a terrible abhorrent organisation, but the EA of 2013-2016 deserve so much respect and kudos, as they have created well crafted thoughtful masterpieces imo. I LOVE PES, PES3-6 etc, but in many ways they cannot compete with FIFA 14. They are exceptional, but different, way more simplified.

Last edited:
Totally agree bud. The game just hits the spot on so many levels.

My only gripe is the prize money seems broken.

I did an Argentine League and finished midtable. I got about £3,000 and that was it. All my players wanted new contracts, it proper stuffed me and I got sacked about 10 games into the new season.

I put Villa in the Championship and did a season, won the League and I got about £500,000!! I had a load of players scouted expecting to be able to bring them in and had to rely on loans.

It'll be interesting to win a major European League and see what that gives you.

Gameplay wise though, I can't put it down. That '1 more game' feeling is there.

Hey mate which console are you playing on? I picked up 16 and 17 recently and while both are decent in there respective ways i found the AI lacking at times.

@Pagi84 @abcdefg1 i had the same feelings but on FIFA 16. Can you tell me guys in which aspects FIFA 14 is better for you than 16?? Im watching some gameplays on YT and it looks less smooth and a bit artificial...

@Pagi84 @abcdefg1 i had the same feelings but on FIFA 16. Can you tell me guys in which aspects FIFA 14 is better for you than 16?? Im watching some gameplays on YT and it looks less smooth and a bit artificial...
Ha what? I just told you in great detail why 14 is good. Although 16 is excellent too, I prefer how AI plays in 14 and I prefer how pressing and defending works in 14. I probably prefer dribbling in 14 too. And sliders work better. Probably more stuff, but I'd have to play 16 again and think more.

Last edited:

I did an Argentine League and finished midtable. I got about £3,000 and that was it. All my players wanted new contracts, it proper stuffed me and I got sacked about 10 games into the new season.

I put Villa in the Championship and did a season, won the League and I got about £500,000!! I had a load of players scouted expecting to be able to bring them in and had to rely on loans.

It'll be interesting to win a major European League and see what that gives you.

Ahhh. I think at the start of career game you can set it so you get more realistic money, not sure though, may be a later FIFA.

I'm in Championship as Leicester and had realistic cash. Didn't sell loads and had 9m start of 2nd season. Which is good amount for the game. As you can buy good players for million or so.

I leave my 14 on constantly, literally haven't turned it off for a week or so. I play few games and then just stay in the menus and listen to the soundtrack as background music when working etc.

Ha what? I just told you in great detail why 14 is good. Although 16 is excellent too, I prefer how AI plays in 16 and I prefer how pressing and defending works in 14. I probably prefer dribbling in 14 too. And sliders work better. Probably more stuff, but I'd have to play 16 again and think more.
Ohh I've only just read that you play on PS4, I'm interested in the comparison on PC because as far as I know, FIFA 14 on PS4 was powered by the Ignite engine and the PC version was not. That's why PC gameplay on YouTube may look strange..

Ahhh. I think at the start of career game you can set it so you get more realistic money, not sure though, may be a later FIFA.

I'm in Championship as Leicester and had realistic cash. Didn't sell loads and had 9m start of 2nd season. Which is good amount for the game. As you can buy good players for million or so.

I leave my 14 on constantly, literally haven't turned it off for a week or so. I play few games and then just stay in the menus and listen to the soundtrack as background music when working etc.

I'll have a look later when I fire it up been too busy watching all the Euro games last few days.

I do like the fact the money is a bit less, it means, especially playing as a smaller team, sometimes you have to sell a star player to scrape by or offer contracts to several other players.

As to answer the question about why it is better than 16 - I don't think it's one thing, I think as the earlier post alluded to, it's lots of little things. They all add up and are giving me a brilliant offline experience.

Actually that's pretty accurate. Argentinean economy IRL is broken. That's the reason we can't retain good players and most of them leave to Europe or Brazil

Here's a shot of my Leicester team, midway through the season, in Championship and midway through crunch tie v Hull team near top of the table. Yeah have bought in Grealish and Kante and Antonio, but they were all young unproven players back then and not better than average Championship players. All rated low 70s.

lcfcs.jpg

Last edited:
I like how stamina works too, cos I press hard and my players are starting to tire and by about 65 mins I need subs on. Injuries regularly happen midmatch too, player stays down after a collision or tackle, then you see a replay of the incident and have to do a sub. Another two aspects many games get wrong yet 14 excels at.

Last edited:
I like how stamina works too, cos I press hard and my players are starting to tire and by about 65 mins I need subs on. Injuries regularly happen midmatch too, player stays down after a collision or tackle, then you see a replay of the incident and have to do a sub. Another two aspects many games get wrong yet 14 excels at.

Yeah, I've had a fair few players pull up injured during a game.

One was through on goal, I played him in and was like 'what is he doing' and he collapsed holding his hamstring.

It also tells you what the potential injury is when you go to the pause menu and look at your team. This is a brilliant feature they removed from later games.

Decent Leicester team, I looked at Kante & Mahrez and saw they were both low rated in French 2nd division. I'd be interested to see what they top out at.

Yeah, I've had a fair few players pull up injured during a game.

One was through on goal, I played him in and was like 'what is he doing' and he collapsed holding his hamstring.

It also tells you what the potential injury is when you go to the pause menu and look at your team. This is a brilliant feature they removed from later games.

Decent Leicester team, I looked at Kante & Mahrez and saw they were both low rated in French 2nd division. I'd be interested to see what they top out at.
Oh yeah I bought Mahrez too of course, but he's not great and can't get into my team. My formation doesn't really suit him either. I had to create this formation though, as I was really struggling.

Vardy was already at Leicester, but he is hugely underrated, nowhere near as fast as he was IRL and not a great finisher, so he has never performed for me either.

I think this is a nice little clip that shows off 14.

I'm Leiceister and Swiss manager. I was in a Euro Qualifying group with France, Belgium and Portugal! Which I don't think is possible, but whatever. We ALL finished on 17 points! I was outside top 2 qualifiers on GD.

Anyway, I'm playing Belgium here and first watch how because the defender who starts with the ball exerts force to accelerate, after I intercept it, he then can't stop himself instantly and turn back, instead he propels forward for half a second.

Then, see after my pass, with my 1st touch I decide to change direction ever so slightly to get a better angle for a shot. This causes the nearest chasing defender problems and inertia means that leg back is literally all he can do to block me in that second. Looks very realistic.

Finally, see how the speed at which the goalie bursts off his line and the inertia/dive means he clatters into his defenders and wipes them out.

Last edited:
I should try 14 again,so.
I always find 16 better in dribbling and physics, expecially collisions and first touch.
Game Speed is better on 14.
I want test more a.i, cause i found that on 14 through ball are too much effective compared to 16.
But a thing i don't like at all on 16,a.i speaking,is how CPU doesn't react good at players dribbling's attempts. On 16 i can really abuse dribbling too much, even with players that are not that good at it.

Back
Top Bottom