The PC Building Thread

I wanna build now, also I'm in Brazil so it might take longer than May/June for those to appear here.
I'm leaning towards the 760 because of the price, but how long you think it keeps running the good stuff?
Maybe its better to sacrifice for the 780 then

The 760 should be fine for a good few years, it plays all games at 60FPS right now and is two generations newer than the "Next Gen" consoles. So technically it should last the whole next generation.

I done a few system builds a few pages back, so I would recommend checking them out, I will post new builds on here as soon as the new AMD GPU's become freely available and pricing settles.

Buy now and enjoy PC gaming. Waiting for the next best thing is not always the best way to go, unless that next best thing is literally around the corner. Nvidia's Maxwell cards (due next year) sound impressive, but knowing Nvidia they will be hideously expensive.

Nvidia's 760 is a great card for the price. Looking to the future, I would probably go for a 780. Nvidia have just announced the 780ti which will hopefully push down prices on the 780. The 780 is over-priced at the moment, but once it falls below £450 I think it's worth considering.

Another option - AMD's newly released R9 280X offers a lot of performance for a small price. They are going for around £250 over here in the UK. A lot of performance for the money, particularly if you aren't going over 1080p. It is essentially a re-badged 7970 so you could always pick up a cheap 7970 or 7950 and they will serve you well. All of these cards I've mentioned have 3gb vram which gives them a little more future-proofing over 2gb cards.

Also keep an eye on the new high-end cards from AMD - the R9 290 and R9 290X.

They should be good performers but we are still waiting on solid info and pricing.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look

Also best place to go and look at stuff is Anandtech bench.
You can select what you want and it gives a direct comparison, you could even get a 680GTX as they can be bought now for under £200 but not sure how good eBay is in Brazil.

Yeah, 680 prices have really tumbled in recent weeks. Don't worry about it being an older generation card - it's still a strong performer.

The Nvidia 700 series cards are all essentially re-badged 600 series, with the exception of the 780 and Titan.

can anyone explain why my turtle beach usb sound card wont do proper 5.1 on video games. I read something on there site that it wont do that for video games... i assume installing a pci express card will solve the problem? pci sound card, like sound blaster. also can anyone recomend a good sound card that will play video games in 5.1?

Personally I'd strongly avoid anything by Creative Labs, had a couple of their cards in the past and they are terrible at releasing drivers. Most onboard soundcards (assuming you didn't buy a really crappy mobo) will have decent sound chips that can do 5.1, I recently bought an:

"ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

As I wanted a card with optical out (I wanted an easy way to get the 5.1 sound to my AV receiver in the bed room and this combined with a 20m optical cable was perfect) and liked the stuff it offered for microphones as I'd had a number of problems skype chatting with my Mum in England so figured this would tick a few boxes and it did :)

Personally I'd strongly avoid anything by Creative Labs, had a couple of their cards in the past and they are terrible at releasing drivers. Most onboard soundcards (assuming you didn't buy a really crappy mobo) will have decent sound chips that can do 5.1, I recently bought an:

"ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

As I wanted a card with optical out (I wanted an easy way to get the 5.1 sound to my AV receiver in the bed room and this combined with a 20m optical cable was perfect) and liked the stuff it offered for microphones as I'd had a number of problems skype chatting with my Mum in England so figured this would tick a few boxes and it did :)

Great call bro, I have same issue where reliever 20 feet from pc

You can get a long optical cable pretty cheaply and it's a nice simple cable to move around rooms and hide in the skirting boards if you have those over there ;)

You can get a long optical cable pretty cheaply and it's a nice simple cable to move around rooms and hide in the skirting boards if you have those over there ;)

Yeh I have the cable it is behind my drywall, problem is that it is short of my PC and I don't think there is a way to extend an optical cable thus why I used USB in first place :(. I was able to extend USB sound card to meet the cable...

Apparently it is possible to join two optical cables with a "coupler"

http://www.amazon.com/Steren-260-70...2276313&sr=8-3&keywords=optical+cable+coupler

41glW-TzSsL.jpg

can anyone explain why my turtle beach usb sound card wont do proper 5.1 on video games. I read something on there site that it wont do that for video games... i assume installing a pci express card will solve the problem? pci sound card, like sound blaster. also can anyone recomend a good sound card that will play video games in 5.1?

What sort of setup are you running? Are you looking to get 5.1 through an AV receiver and/or surround headphones?

For true 5.1 over an optical cable you need a sound card with Dolby Digital Live. I use the Asus Xonar DX which has this feature. I only bought it to use with my surround headphones. The rest of the time I get 5.1 over HDMI from my graphics card to my amp.

What sort of setup are you running? Are you looking to get 5.1 through an AV receiver and/or surround headphones?

For true 5.1 over an optical cable you need a sound card with Dolby Digital Live. I use the Asus Xonar DX which has this feature. I only bought it to use with my surround headphones. The rest of the time I get 5.1 over HDMI from my graphics card to my amp.

Optical via a denon receiver

My setup is:

HDMI from gpu to receiver and then another HDMI from receiver to the tv. You don't need a sound card this way.

If you want proper 5.1 over optical then you will need a Dolby Digital Live sound card.

My setup is:

HDMI from gpu to receiver and then another HDMI from receiver to the tv. You don't need a sound card this way.

If you want proper 5.1 over optical then you will need a Dolby Digital Live sound card.

My Hdmi goes from gpu to tv not enough Hdmi on my first generation Hdmi receiver

16GB over kill for games, get 8 just for now, and wait for the price to come down for an extra 8

I personally wouldn't get a toshiba SSD, get a trusted brand like samsung or kingston, the kingstons are very good value at £75 atm

Also spend more money on a quality case as a good case will house your PC for the next 10 years...you should also spend money on a quality PSU, you shouldn't be looking to save on PSU's as cheaper ones are not reliable and can take out components.

Actually comes in quite abit more expensive for obvious reasons.
The motherboard has been replaced with a more expensive model, as I personally would never get a budget board.
The case has been replaced with a better case and new PSU, as footyfan says a decent case (£100+) would probably last 10 years, the PSU has also been replaced as the one free with the case would never be able to electrocute a hamster let alone run a 7950.
I swapped your Blu-ray drive for a budget one and last replaced your SSD for the new Samsung EVO SSD.

Last edited:
Saw the Nvidia price drops yesterday and decided to pull the trigger on a 780. Gone for the EVGA Superclocked ACX version.

I was debating the 290/290X but it sounds as if temps and noise are a problem.

Saw the Nvidia price drops yesterday and decided to pull the trigger on a 780. Gone for the EVGA Superclocked ACX version.

I would of held off for a while, if what Nvidia is saying is true, then the next gen PC cards will be worth the wait.

Looks like a monster of a card, I'm running the MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 you recommended, overclocked it a bit and still playing everything I throw at it fine at 1080p.

I would of held off for a while, if what Nvidia is saying is true, then the next gen PC cards will be worth the wait.

I don't think we will get any considerable advancements until 20nm, and from what I understand we are most likely 12 months away from that. Just can't be bothered waiting for the next best thing. If you do that you never buy anything. Plus, I never buy cards at launch, preferring to wait for price drops. The 780 is now at a great price imo.

A 780 will eat up most games at 1080p, a resolution that I won't be moving up from any time soon.

16GB over kill for games, get 8 just for now, and wait for the price to come down for an extra 8

I personally wouldn't get a toshiba SSD, get a trusted brand like samsung or kingston, the kingstons are very good value at £75 atm

Also spend more money on a quality case as a good case will house your PC for the next 10 years...you should also spend money on a quality PSU, you shouldn't be looking to save on PSU's as cheaper ones are not reliable and can take out components.

Actually comes in quite abit more expensive for obvious reasons.
The motherboard has been replaced with a more expensive model, as I personally would never get a budget board.
The case has been replaced with a better case and new PSU, as footyfan says a decent case (£100+) would probably last 10 years, the PSU has also been replaced as the one free with the case would never be able to electrocute a hamster let alone run a 7950.
I swapped your Blu-ray drive for a budget one and last replaced your SSD for the new Samsung EVO SSD.

Cheers lads. :D

I don't think we will get any considerable advancements until 20nm, and from what I understand we are most likely 12 months away from that. Just can't be bothered waiting for the next best thing. If you do that you never buy anything. Plus, I never buy cards at launch, preferring to wait for price drops. The 780 is now at a great price imo.

A 780 will eat up most games at 1080p, a resolution that I won't be moving up from any time soon.

What would one of those cost me? What would be a decent price for second hand?

Back
Top Bottom