The PC Building Thread

I am that lad. And yes, the primary purpose of the build is to play PES2014, and somewhat future-proofed i.e. exceeding the specs (comparatively) of the PS4.

Money is not the limitation, I just don't want a behemoth energy-sucker under the telly. Also, my past experiences with desktop graphics cards is that they become noisy, and I need to mitigte that.

Currently I play on an i7 laptop with Radeon 6570M, but it's dying. I'm not inclined to buy a new console.

Really I'm looking for a decent-spec AMD with a well-suited graphics card that provides enough oomph to handle the new graphics, but not overkill.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic. Thanks for any advice.

For info on AMD processors, check bsmaff's advice a few posts back. Intel CPUs are generally recommended but bsmaff made a good case for AMD chips and which motherboard to get. (posts #1745 & 1754)

As far as GPUs are concerned, around £200 is the sweet spot right now. You should be looking at either a GTX 670 or 760 from Nvidia, or a Radeon HD7950 from AMD. These cards will play most games on max or high settings. There are some great deals on these cards right now. The 7950 is a good choice because it offers 3gb VRAM which makes it a little more future-proof. The Gigabyte Windforce 7950 supposedly has the quietest, most effective cooler.

A PSU of around 550-650W will do fine. Modular is best to keep the mess of cables down to a minimum.

8gb DDR3 RAM will be plenty for gaming. Get low profile if you can.

If you can afford it pick up a SSD, even if it's just a small one to use as a boot drive for Windows. That way you get console fast start-up times. Get a 1-2TB HDD to put your games on.

Hi, need some advice. Currently my spec is as below.

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 41 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QC (LGA 775) 40 °C
Graphics
SA300/SA350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Thinking of getting a new card. I only have a budget of 100 pound. What card do you recommend and what other things can I do (without spending a fortune) to improve my old towers performance.

Definitely get a new card as that will give you the best performance increase for your money. I think you will need to overhaul your system at some point, particularly with next-gen consoles on the horizon.

For £100 you could pick up an AMD Radeon 7790, which is the card the XB1's GPU is based on. However, I would try and increase the budget a little and pick up a 7850 (which is what the PS4 is using). I had one of these and it's a great card.

You can get a 1gb version for around £125 or the 2gb card for around £140. 2gb will be a bit more future proof and will help when playing texture intensive games and mods.

Otherwise wait until October when the AMD releases the 9000 series and see if there are price drops on 7000 series cards. I wouldn't recommend Nvidia at this price point as they don't offer the same value for money as AMD.

Also check your power supply is up to the task of powering a newer card.

Thanks for the advice.

Psu is 650w so i think it will be fine.

will updating to window 7 and increasing my mobo ram to 8gb help? or will it be not a huge benefit.

From my experiences, 8gb from 4gb on windows 7 64 make everything a bit snappier. Especially, alt+tab-ing game back and forth to windows with multiple tabs, programs open just faster..

TBH I wouldn't bother going from Vista to 7 I'd go straight to 8, it's the superior OS in every way in the areas that matter (stability, speed, driver support), ignore all the negative opinions about tablet/mosaic shit you can avoid all that anyway with a couple of free/cheap apps.

TBH I wouldn't bother going from Vista to 7 I'd go straight to 8, it's the superior OS in every way in the areas that matter (stability, speed, driver support), ignore all the negative opinions about tablet/mosaic shit you can avoid all that anyway with a couple of free/cheap apps.

Windows 8.1 is now RTM and you can download that right now and upgrade for free if you have Windows 8.
It adds a start menu without additional 3rd party tweaks and has a couple of new features, and seems a little quicker than 8.
But as Placebo quoted Windows 8 is far superior to Windows 7, boot times are half and overall system performance has been massively improved.

Wouldn't the i7 4770k also require a higher spec (more expensive) motherboard? and maybe a daft question but I guess all the other stuff I've got will still work fine with the newest mobo/processors?

Not at all prices are pretty much identical to the Ivybridge, but Haswell has an increase of 10-15% in performance to the Ivybridge and 20-25% compared to the Sandybridge. Although the Sandybridge has the massive advantage that their overclock a treat compared to the new processors.

I am that lad. And yes, the primary purpose of the build is to play PES2014, and somewhat future-proofed i.e. exceeding the specs (comparatively) of the PS4.

Money is not the limitation, I just don't want a behemoth energy-sucker under the telly. Also, my past experiences with desktop graphics cards is that they become noisy, and I need to mitigte that.

Currently I play on an i7 laptop with Radeon 6570M, but it's dying. I'm not inclined to buy a new console.

Really I'm looking for a decent-spec AMD with a well-suited graphics card that provides enough oomph to handle the new graphics, but not overkill.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic. Thanks for any advice.

As Jamez stated you can build a PC for PES 2014 for around £400, but PC's vary a lot. I would recommend spending £500-£600 on a PC. £600 will guarantee you a decent build.

I did do a few builds about a month ago a few pages back and prob worth checking them out at some point.

Windows 8.1 is now RTM and you can download that right now and upgrade for free if you have Windows 8.
It adds a start menu without additional 3rd party tweaks and has a couple of new features, and seems a little quicker than 8.
But as Placebo quoted Windows 8 is far superior to Windows 7, boot times are half and overall system performance has been massively improved.

Does Windows 8.1 require a full clean install?

Despite my early reservations about upgrading from Windows 7 to 8, I really like the OS now. I have very few issues with it. There's no way I could run it as it comes 'out-of-the-box'. Metro is annoying to me, so the third party add-ons to make Win8 look and feel like Win7 were crucial for me. With those add-ons it's great to use.

Hi, need some advice. Currently my spec is as below.

Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 41 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QC (LGA 775) 40 °C
Graphics
SA300/SA350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Thinking of getting a new card. I only have a budget of 100 pound. What card do you recommend and what other things can I do (without spending a fortune) to improve my old towers performance.

TBH your system has gone to the stage where you will be better off doing a new build.
Your system is now pretty dated, and requires most components to be upgraded

I assume at present your system can probably run most games at Mid to High settings so I would wait a year or so for the new graphics cards to arrive next year and maybe wait till games become truly next gen and your system is completely incapable of running games. As current consoles are equivalent to running PC on low settings and I expect next gen consoles will run games at MED/HIGH settings, as BF4 has proven what I thought already that the next gen consoles just can't cut it compared to a PC.

Completely forgot to mention that the best thing for now to speed up your games is to add another 4850 and SLI them, that would give a really good performance increase and probably only cost £40.

Last edited:
I built a system for battlefield 3

i5
8 gig of ram
560ti

I've just changed to a 2 gig 670 twin frozr and what a difference that makes

I built a system for battlefield 3

i5
8 gig of ram
560ti

I've just changed to a 2 gig 670 twin frozr and what a difference that makes

Did you take advantage of one of the deals? I've seen these going on OverclockersUK daily deals for around £175. Fantastic price for quite a lot of performance.

What is best a hd 7790 or hd 6870?

Would I be better of getting a high end 6 series or opting for a 7 series?

I think I would go for a mid range 7000 series card. AMD's drivers have improved greatly this past year or so and the 7000 series cards have benefitted massively (improved performance).

A 7850 would be ideal if you can afford it but the 7790 isn't far behind for performance.

Don't rule out a second hand card either.

hi, jamezinho i want to buy a new pc, so my budget is at 700-800 euro what spec do you think i can have with that money? it would be enough i5,8gb ram and what graphic card i prefer gtx?

hi, jamezinho i want to buy a new pc, so my budget is at 700-800 euro what spec do you think i can have with that money? it would be enough i5,8gb ram and what graphic card i prefer gtx?

Look a few pages back and there are a few machines which are listed for the price you are quoting.

An i5 with 8gb RAM is the standard gaming build it seems. Should be ok with your budget, although I'm not sure how prices compare in Germany.

If you want an Nvidia card then the GTX 670 and 760 probably offer the best value right now. The 670 seems to be the better card (only slightly).

An i5 with 8gb RAM is the standard gaming build it seems. Should be ok with your budget, although I'm not sure how prices compare in Germany.

If you want an Nvidia card then the GTX 670 and 760 probably offer the best value right now. The 670 seems to be the better card (only slightly).

yep i saw a pc i5 8gb ram and gtx760 800euro so i can play some new games with it on high settings like gta5 pes14 ?

You can do it as an upgrade I believe as well as a standalone installation.

I am going to do it as a clean installation at some point next week.

I see, but from what I'm reading there's some issues with install serials? You have to use one found online to install but then you can use your current legit one to activate right?

I see, but from what I'm reading there's some issues with install serials? You have to use one found online to install but then you can use your current legit one to activate right?

I am not too sure at the moment as I have not tried installing 8.1, but I am also not using an ISO downloaded from the net.

I am using the .iso which is available from Microsoft TechNet, although the one on the net should be the same.

yep i saw a pc i5 8gb ram and gtx760 800euro so i can play some new games with it on high settings like gta5 pes14 ?

As Jamez stated build one yourself, you will get twice the spec for the same price.

With the specs above you will be able to play pretty much all games at HIGH/ULTRA settings.

Last edited:
Took the plunge and ordered it all...

LG 23EA63V 23 inch Widescreen LED IPS Monitor - £125
Corsair 300R Case - £60
MSI Twin Frozr 7950 3GB - £190
XFX 550W PSU - £50
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB 1600mhz RAM - £58
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Motherboard - £145
i7 4770k - £265

:(

Also got Far Cry 3, FC3 Blood Dragon, Crysis 3, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider with the graphics card... so softens the blow quite a bit! haha

Back
Top Bottom