The PC Building Thread

With the new CPU's coming out, here is the new builds for July:

£400
8c75.jpg

£500
rs9e.jpg

£600
gc3x.jpg

As you can see I have built the latest PC's using AMD processors this is because the new AMD chips are very good performers and now give a much better BANG PER BUCK, which allows you to spend more on the GFX card.
The main problem with building a PC at present is that as some may have noticed the price of RAM has doubled in the past month.

I have also built a XBOX ONE EQUIVALENT: - I just couldn't be bothered though to put it in a cube
izd7.jpg

Last edited:
@xbox one equivalent.

Don't you think phenom II X4 965 BE @ £60 gives better price per performance for AM3+ board.. Still leaves room for FX 8350 upgrade later down the road..

Has RAM gone up that much? I bought 8gb in May last year and it was £40.

RAM has gone stupid, it more than doubled in price in the space of two weeks. Went from £25 for 8GB to £60 for 8GB.

I will also get Scutch to update the home page again once other people have made comments.(Dags & Jonney)

Edit:
I have noticed the higher price ones need different cases and a better PSU.
Any other suggestions just add.

Last edited:
Have AMD really caught up enough? Last I read was Bulldozer and it got pretty much panned, I think.

I'd also point out the price difference between the 7850 and 7950, and then take into account that you can sell the free games you get, so it's worth going for the 7950 in my opinion.

I'd maybe remove the DVD drives, put a footnote on the bottom saying you could add £13. It's not much but people generally look at the final price and I can't remember the last time I used a DVD drive. I don't actually have one in my PC and just have an external USB DVD drive for rare occasions as everything is USB pen drives nowadays.

Maybe put a note on with prices of Windows 7/8, a decent monitor, keyboard, mouse etc?

Have AMD really caught up enough? Last I read was Bulldozer and it got pretty much panned, I think.

I'd also point out the price difference between the 7850 and 7950, and then take into account that you can sell the free games you get, so it's worth going for the 7950 in my opinion.

I'd maybe remove the DVD drives, put a footnote on the bottom saying you could add £13. It's not much but people generally look at the final price and I can't remember the last time I used a DVD drive. I don't actually have one in my PC and just have an external USB DVD drive for rare occasions as everything is USB pen drives nowadays.

Maybe put a note on with prices of Windows 7/8, a decent monitor, keyboard, mouse etc?

The new AMD chips have massively caught up now, the one listed in the build out performs the 4670K in most tests and is £40 cheaper.
I also have not used my DVD drive in my computer for a very long time, but some people somewhere might use them still.
I did not include adding a monitor, as most people probably have a monitor lying around or plug them into TV's.

I also did not include a Windows 7 license as this is something people can source themselves.

My DVD drive doesn't get much use but that said, it's very handy for ripping CDs and I still buy the odd disc-based game as my broadband speed is shite.

Regarding the AMD CPUs - are they really not far off now? The mere mention of an AMD build over at AVF is usually met with derision but surely they have their worth if the budget is tight and AMD does the job for gaming?

My DVD drive doesn't get much use but that said, it's very handy for ripping CDs and I still buy the odd disc-based game as my broadband speed is shite.

Regarding the AMD CPUs - are they really not far off now? The mere mention of an AMD build over at AVF is usually met with derision but surely they have their worth if the budget is tight and AMD does the job for gaming?

i bought bioshock infinite on disk so i still use mine occasionally.

i also have a cd player in my car so need to burn cd's as well.

AMD have a really bad rep at the moment with system builders myself included.

But here are the stats and you can't argue:

There is absolutely nothing between them and for £40 less it is a better CPU for your money, some could argue they are not as good for games, but you would just respond how much of a better card could you get for £40?

Last edited:
Very interesting. I hope AMD can offer some competition to Intel as the last thing we need is an Intel monopoly.

Seeing as I use my PC pretty much exclusively as a gaming rig and do very little else that is CPU intensive, I would definitely consider an AMD CPU next time I'm due for an upgrade.

Excellent, am thinking I'm going to get a 6350, more in my price range. Thanks for those builds above, I'm slowly getting my head around building my own box, current spec thinking:

AMD FX-6350: $140
MSI 970-A AM3+ Mboard: $90
8GB DDR 1600 RAM: $70 ish
NVidia GTX 650 ti Boost 2GB: $170
A case: $70 ish
Win 8: $100 (can't believe I have to buy another copy, mine is 32 bit :(

Should land it with tax around $700.

Excellent, am thinking I'm going to get a 6350, more in my price range. Thanks for those builds above, I'm slowly getting my head around building my own box, current spec thinking:

AMD FX-6350: $140
MSI 970-A AM3+ Mboard: $90
8GB DDR 1600 RAM: $70 ish
NVidia GTX 650 ti Boost 2GB: $170
A case: $70 ish
Win 8: $100 (can't believe I have to buy another copy, mine is 32 bit :(

Should land it with tax around $700.

If your American, give me a budget and I will sort a build for your price from NewEgg
Also what version of Windows do you currently have?

I am indeed in the US - was actually using New Egg :)

I currently have win 8 (not pro) - but it's 32 bit. I'm assuming I have to buy a new product to get to 64 bit? Will give a google.

I want to spend around $700 all in, including tax (which is the nasty bit - stupid california changin their laws!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks much!

I currently have win 8 (not pro) - but it's 32 bit. I'm assuming I have to buy a new product to get to 64 bit? Will give a google.

I want to spend around $700 all in, including tax (which is the nasty bit - stupid california changin their laws!)

I will have a look tomorrow for you.
Providing you have an actual COA and serial number for Windows 8, you can use it on both 32-bit and 64-bit you will just need to get hold of a 64-bit disk.

Also how much equipment do you already have?
Case
Power Supply
CD Drive etc......

I had a quick look on Newegg and they have decent bundles, so I would recommend the bundle with the i5 4670K and the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard and the graphics card I would get the 7950 with the 4 games, as although it is more expensive you could always just sell the games.

If your American, give me a budget and I will sort a build for your price from NewEgg
Also what version of Windows do you currently have?

Could you spec me a machine please mate, the most powerful you can muster for around £800 inc. VAT. I'll need a monitor and peripherals too but that won't be included in the price.

Will be used for a bit of gaming, editing and Inventor 3D studio for work.

Ok, will do you one tomorrow.

Do you have any preference towards components? Nvidia or ATI.

The machine you listed looks pretty good but you could do better for the price.

No real preference but just best of the price range. Like a graphics card that can easily handle games like BF3 and obviously BF4 coming. Crisis 3 etc.

Here is two builds.
The first one is right on budget, I have gone for a top Processor and GPU on the system build, as these are what you need.

All prices are from Aria as they are normally pretty cheap, but you can probably get some of components cheaper elsewhere.
The PSU is modular as that is something I would highly recommend getting, the case is just an example case of a decent one for around the £60 mark but this can be replaced with anything you want.

The GPU is currently available at Overclockers if you order soon with 8 FREE GAMES.(Farcry 3, Farcry 3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Sim City, Sleeping Dogs, Bioshock Infinite, Dirt Showdown). Even if you don't intend on playing the games I am sure you can sell them.

The bottom priced one is the exact components but with Intel, so other people can also see the price difference between 2 systems which will give the same performance.

AMD BUILD:

5ndi.jpg

INTEL BUILD:

xk03.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks for those mate! Any reason why you prefer the Intel chip mate?

I put the Intel one there for reference purposes more than anything.
I have only bought Intel the last few times as they have been the best CPU manufacturer for generations, quite like AMD were the best for years when the AMD64 chips were about.

I would probably buy the AMD chipset now as you can get the same performance PC for £50 less.

I also don't know what components you also already own, as you could save money on the drive, case and power supply.

I don't own anything mate. It would be a start from scratch system.

In that case, you just got to decide whether you want an AMD or Intel chip in your system.

The HEAD TO HEAD is up the page a bit higher and you can decide based on that, but I would get the rest of the system recommended.
You can change the power supply to what you would like, but would hugely recommend getting a modular as they make cable management and system building a lot easier.
Obviously as well change the case to one you like and prefer, I just chose the R300 as it is meant to be one of the best for that price range.

Also if you don't mind running Windows 7 HP, I can supply you with a GENUINE key for that.

Any other questions just ask.

Last edited:
Peripheral Talk:

Best keyboard: Recommended by all sites - Although expensive not overly expensive like most
Razer BlackWidow
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Black...d=1372945708&sr=1-1&keywords=razer+blackwidow

Best Mouse: Is always top of the review charts due to being an exceptional mouse and not being £100 like most
Shogun Bros Ballista MK-1 8200 Dpi Pro Gaming Mouse
http://www.amazon.co.uk/computers-accessories/dp/B008UR04T2

Best Monitor: This is mainly down to personal preference but would highly recommend BenQ monitors and my last 2 have both been BenQ.
BENQ RL2455HM - BenQ new 2013 gaming monitor - Hard to get hold off at present
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-Deutschland-GmbH-9H-LA9LB-QBE-RL2455HM/dp/B00CFFFGUM
But this monitor is also a TN panel and not IPS.

Here is a video about TN vs IPS panels and which is best:
YouTube - LCD Monitors IPS vs TN Panel difference

My only argument about it is the video looks like the guy uses an incredibly cheap old monitor, and all the points he makes are not very relevant, when you watch TV you watch it from all angles so you need a decent viewing angle but with a monitor your sat right in front of it about a metre away so viewing angles really aren't an issue.

what do you guys think about this pc it costs 500 euro should i buy it? intel core i3 , nvidia gtx 650, 4gb ram, 2 tb http://www.aldi-nord.de/aldi_multimedia_pc_system_48_5_1409_20375.html

So about £430. That PC is not too bad but I think you could do better. If you are prepared to do a self-build and can raise the budget a little then you will get a more competent gaming machine and your money will be better spent.

The GTX 650 will struggle with demanding games and won't last long until you need to upgrade. Something like a 7870 or, if you can afford it, a 7950 would be much better. Maybe look at getting an Intel i5 CPU or one of the AMD CPUs that bsmaff listed a few posts ago. As for RAM, I would look at 8gb as a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom