The PC Building Thread

Anyone looking to get one of the Nvidia 700 series cards?

Rather get a titan. Think about the price of a titan. To get to the same performance if a titan you have to wait on a 800 series card. That's two gens later mate.

700 series is a waste of time for 600 users. Watch Nvidia charge u 500 for a minor refresh.

I think I'll wait to hear more regarding AMD's 8000 series cards. My 7950 is plenty good enough for the time being.

Not keen on Nvidia's prices to be honest.

Planning to keep my 680 until the next generation. From what I've read, the 7xx series wont give me much of an increase.

I like the look of Arma2 and Planetside 2 but dont have a gaming PC though.

How much would I be likely to spend on a good gaming PC/Components that would handle these games at best quality?

If you need everything (including an OS) and do a self build you can put a very nice PC together for £700-800. It can be done cheaper but personally I think it's a false economy - you'll be upgrading again sooner than you think.

I will be selling my current machine in about a month's time.
As soon as the new Haswell processors are available to purchase, I will be selling my current i7 sandybridge.

It will include my current case, motherboard and processor.
Will not be looking to sell it for much, but will put it together with a 560ti, will also add a power supply and HD if anyone is interested.

The actual spec is:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel i7 2600k
Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Antec P180 Case
GENIUNE Windows 7 License
Nvidia 560Ti - Don't have to have if not needed.
16GB Ram

Currently don't have an HD, Power Supply or DVD Drive but will include these with a complete build.

Last edited:
I have a Benq XL2420Tx (haven't bsmaff and dags got this monitor?)

what settings do you use?

tried the 3D on BF3 and I didn't like it.

this monitor has really improved my K/D ratio on Bf3 by about 50% I would say, crazy.

although still yet to get used to the monitor for standard desktop use as I have only had it 2 days and I would say the colours look washed out.

these are the settings I am using

Picture Mode: Standard
Gamma: 1
Brightness: 5
Contrast: 50
Colour Temperature: User Mode
RGB: 96, 99, 95

and

from another forum

Monitor Settings:
Brightness 85 or 90
Contrast 50
Sharpness 5
Gamma 4
Color Temp ---> user mode 98 98 100

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
Desktop Use:
check the "Other application control color settings" option
Digital Vibrance = 56% (default = 50%)

Gaming Use:
For lighter maps, I check the "Other application control color settings" option
For darker maps, I check the "Use Nvidia Settings" option and use the following:
All Channels
Brightness = 37%
Contrast = 60%
Gamma = 1.28
Digital Vibrance =66% (default = 50%)

Shooto asked about playing games at the best quality though. Probably need to spend more than £400 to do that unless buying second hand parts/rig.

shooto

better off buying second hand. get better value

I would say £600 second hand should be enough to get you something decent

I have a Benq XL2420Tx (haven't bsmaff and dags got this monitor?)

what settings do you use?

tried the 3D on BF3 and I didn't like it.

this monitor has really improved my K/D ratio on Bf3 by about 50% I would say, crazy.

although still yet to get used to the monitor for standard desktop use as I have only had it 2 days and I would say the colours look washed out.

these are the settings I am using

Gamma: 1
Brightness: 5
Contrast: 50
Colour Temperature: User Mode
RGB: 96, 99, 95

and

from another forum

Monitor Settings:
Brightness 85 or 90
Contrast 50
Sharpness 5
Gamma 4
Color Temp ---> user mode 98 98 100

Nvidia Control Panel Settings:
Desktop Use:
check the "Other application control color settings" option
Digital Vibrance = 56% (default = 50%)

Gaming Use:
For lighter maps, I check the "Other application control color settings" option
For darker maps, I check the "Use Nvidia Settings" option and use the following:
All Channels
Brightness = 37%
Contrast = 60%
Gamma = 1.28
Digital Vibrance =66% (default = 50%)

I have the same monitor, I will let you know what my settings are when I get back after being away for the weekend.
Playing with the setting does massively help as I think the monitor looks pretty shite out the box.

it is doing my head in and giving me a headache

I have sensitive eyes. it is next to my dell monitor and it looks crap compared.

just looks to white and bright and if I dim it down it loses any decent colour.

in fact I would say the colour is really difficult to get right and have not managed that yet

BF3 on the other hand rocks with this monitor

dags, thanks but looks like there is loads of different settings there

is it these?
Picture Mode= Standard
Brightness= 36 (adjust according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 50
Gamma Mode= Gamma 4

Red= 96
Green= 97
Blue= 100

dags, thanks but looks like there is loads of different settings there

is it these?
Picture Mode= Standard
Brightness= 36 (adjust according to preferences and lighting)
Contrast= 50
Gamma Mode= Gamma 4

Red= 96
Green= 97
Blue= 100

Yep. But now I think about it, I might have found another site too. I'll just go through mine and put them here:

Brightness = 38
Contrast = 50
Sharpness = 5
Gamma = 4

Color temp = User
Red = 96
Green = 97
Blue = 100

Slightly different then, but makes a huge difference from stock. Like you, I found it hurt my eyes a little due to the white and being so bright etc. No issues at all now, looks pretty great.

As stated, I will be selling my current build within the next week.

I am offering it to someone on here if they would like it.

It can be sold with the following, components can be removed if people require.

Antec P180 Case, case is about 6 years old, so this can be replaced with a different case.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K Processor
Nvidia 560ti
8GB DDR3
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

The machine doesn't come with an HD, but can be added to the build at cost price. I will load the Operating System and drivers onto the system if the person wants this.

+ For those interested I am going to purchase the following:
Corsair 500r Case
Intel i7 4770k
Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
Corsair H110 CPU Water Cooler

Last edited:
I have decided now with my old PC, to put in a 1TB HD

So specs are:
Antec P180 Case, case is about 6 years old, so this can be replaced with a different case.
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K Quad Core Processor
Nvidia Geforce 560TI
8GB 1600MHZ DDR3
1TB Hard Disk
650W PSU
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (with COA sticker)

I would be prepared to sell this for £500-£600

Machine will be a fresh load, with just the Operating System and drivers installed.

Am looking for a little advice, have about $600 to build a PC, had picked out the following at newegg:
Sentey Optimus Extreme Division Tower Case $54.99
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $78.99
ASUS GTX650TI-O-1GD5 GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 $139.99
Rosewill Stallion Series RD600 600W ATX12V V2.3 $49.99
AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor $119.99
CORSAIR XMS 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $69.99
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM $69.99
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner $19.99

All in with discounts and tax comes out roughly at $600. Had 2 q's:

1. Is it all that difficult to 'seat' the processor on the motherboard? I've done every other step in building PCs, but that one step scares me a little.

2. If you were me, would you wait and see on the new consoles, or built a mid-range (as the above is) gaming PC to last a few years?

1. Is it all that difficult to 'seat' the processor on the motherboard? I've done every other step in building PCs, but that one step scares me a little.

I've only done the one build and that's with an Intel chip, but it's actually very easy. The CPU should have markings or notches on it that line up with the socket on the motherboard.

As long as you take you time and make sure the CPU is orientated properly, it's nothing to worry about.

2. If you were me, would you wait and see on the new consoles, or built a mid-range (as the above is) gaming PC to last a few years?

Difficult to say. If you're not in a rush to build it could be worth hanging on a few more months, saving a bit more cash and picking up a better graphics card.

The new generation of consoles should mean good things for PC players as well, but it will likely lead to more demanding games and I'm not sure how far a GTX 650Ti will take you before you feel the need to upgrade again.

AMD graphics cards offer the better value for money and they will most likely be releasing a new line of cards later this year.

Sorry, one more really stupid question - does the CPU fan come with the chip or the motherboard? In all these DYI kits I don't see where the fan is sold!

Sorry, one more really stupid question - does the CPU fan come with the chip or the motherboard? In all these DYI kits I don't see where the fan is sold!

You get a basic fan with the CPU but I'd suggest buying a proper CPU fan.

Back
Top Bottom