The "Not happy with PES 2012" thread

Which PES 2012 version do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm actually starting to wonder if I should buy the new FIFA Street when it comes out to get a fun football game to play.

See what you've done to me Konami? You've driven me round the effin bend!

:LOL:

Dribbling and ball control used to be a beautiful thing in PES.

What happened?

Still is if done right. Spamming sprint will get you nowhere.
Last night i beat 3 players with a controlled dribble, and careful precise use of R2 & L2 before side foot placing a shot in the bottom corner.

I'm not talking about sprinting. I'm talking about dribbling. I always walk-dribble. I always try fooling my opponents, keeping them guessing which way will I go. But this isn't the case much here. CPU is like my own shadow. It moves extremely instantly, the moment I move left or right. Like there's no momentum to CPU players sometimes. That's not right.

Still is if done right. Spamming sprint will get you nowhere.
Last night i beat 3 players with a controlled dribble, and careful precise use of R2 & L2 before side foot placing a shot in the bottom corner.

OK. How often do you manage that though?

Without the AI defence hacking you down or clipping you so you go into the horrible stumble animation or shoving you off the ball regardless of size and stats or sticking out a leg and robbing you despite being completely wrong footed or running into you at an insane speed to knock you off the ball or running alongside you so you become locked into the jostle animation and run straight out of play or any of the other annoying shit that happens in PES during every single game? That's just the dribbling part as well, I'm not even going to into the shooting where just about anything can happen.

That's probably the most infuriating thing about PES. There IS a good game in there somewhere trying to get out. Now and again it pokes it's head out only to have it stamped on by Konami's piss poor coding.

Last edited:
OK. How often do you manage that though?

Without the AI defence hacking you down or clipping you so you go into the horrible stumble animation or shoving you off the ball regardless of size and stats or sticking out a leg and robbing you despite being completely wrong footed or running into you at an insane speed to knock you off the ball or running alongside you so you become locked into the jostle animation and run straight out of play or any of the other annoying shit that happens in PES during every single game? That's just the dribbling part as well, I'm not even going to into the shooting where just about anything can happen.

That's probably the most infuriating thing about PES. There IS a good game in there somewhere trying to get out. Now and again it pokes it's head out only to have it stamped on by Konami's piss poor coding.

With the right players i can dribble and beat men quite often.
I dont see all what you mentioned above in every single game.
Ive experienced all of those points but only now and then and usually in isolation not all together. Certainly nowhere enough to make me think that dribbling is broken.
I find the dribbling in this years PES more enjoyable and repsonsive than it has been for many years.

As for the shooting, thats a whole 'nother conversation, but its absolutely apalling.

Ive experienced all of those points..

Surely that is bad enough though? Those things should NEVER happen in a football game! OK being hacked down is part of football, granted, but when does the AI ever get a card for it? The amount of times I skip past a player only for them to clearly clip me and get away with it is very annoying.

The other part of dribbling I find annoying is how the AI has absolutely no momentum whereas your players skate around like they are on ice. If I run towards an AI player and he wrong foots me I'm taken completely out of the game and have to try to select another player yet when I wrong foot an AI player he is immediately back on my ass making another tackle or shoving me from behind to make me stumble. They even recover from slide tackles 100% quicker than my players do.

One of the only methods that works is pressing R2 to stop dead but even then you only get about 1 or 2 seconds of space before some other AI player is in your face.

Dribbling can feel very satisfying when it comes off but it all feels so random I'm never actually sure whether my skill has beaten the man or that the AI has simply let me go past him that time. The same goes for the shooting and the passing and the defending.

So what does that leave us with? :COAT:

Surely that is bad enough though? Those things should NEVER happen in a football game! OK being hacked down is part of football, granted, but when does the AI ever get a card for it? The amount of times I skip past a player only for them to clearly clip me and get away with it is very annoying.

Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Imo, everything should happen in a football game. I've no problems with the things you mentioned btw. And I get plenty of fouls for being hacked down, plus cards as well.

I don't believe PES5/6 weren't "broke". To me, PES has always felt incomplete. I always felt something missing and wanted more. Yes this-gen's versions aren't what we were expecting, but that doesn't make the older games any better to me. I can't even play them again. I've done that numerous times before but never lasted more than a few hours. They're outdated and we have to move on.
Totally agree. The offline scripting is nowhere near as predominant in pes 6 as it is now. But.
I recently had a game of the game of the aforementioned title against another patient while I was in hospital on the ward. Great games, one which I won 7 - 0. It definitely brought back the nostalgic feeling but there was more rails than there is at Crewe Junction. It felt out of date and lacked freedom within the gameplay. Sorry, it really is time to move on.

Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Imo, everything should happen in a football game. I've no problems with the things you mentioned btw. And I get plenty of fouls for being hacked down, plus cards as well.

No I'm not exaggerating, I notice at least two or three of the things I mentioned happening at least once in every game I play (on the PS3) against the AI.

I think you are exaggerating when you say "everything should happen in a football game" though. There is absolutely no justification for how the AI behaves in PES 2012. It's about as far removed from real life football as it's possible to get, from the way every team sets up to play the exact same way against you, the total lack of midfield play and the whole "on rails" feel of the gameplay. The game offers us brief glimpses of how a football game should feel and nothing more IMO.

You are obviously one of the few players who can turn a blind eye to most of the flaws I and many other have mentioned in PES 2012. How you can have "no problem" with the things I mentioned is beyond me. They are all right there slapping you in the face every single time the game is played as far as I'm concerned.

You are a dying breed but good luck to you. It must be nice to still enjoy PES despite the state Konami have let it get into.

:COOL:

Last edited:
My final things to say on this like are:
The Game needs an overhaul. The whole thing stripped down to the bare basics and startin from scratch. Until that happens it will continue to disappoint with overly simplistic gameplay, everything on rails, collision detection which is god awful and ball physics which are laughable IMO.

a few observations

No I'm not exaggerating, I notice at least two or three of the things I mentioned happening at least once in every game I play (on the PS3) against the AI.

- Some games i het hacked to death and get nothing, other times i get free kicks for and against me.
Ebbs and flows, pretty much how it is IRL.
I will say that i get tripped a hell of alot when dribbling in the CPU box and hardly ever get a penalty unless its a blatant slide tackle.

I think you are exaggerating when you say "everything should happen in a football game" though. There is absolutely no justification for how the AI behaves in PES 2012. It's about as far removed from real life football as it's possible to get, from the way every team sets up to play the exact same way against you, the total lack of midfield play and the whole "on rails" feel of the gameplay. The game offers us brief glimpses of how a football game should feel and nothing more IMO.

- I had a game just last night that ended 0-0 and was a scrappy tight midfield battle, plenty of turnovers in posession, closing down space and passing lanes, ccrunching tackles, so midfielkd play is there, just alot of PES players almosty bypass it by trying to get the ball forward too quickly.

You are obviously one of the few players who can turn a blind eye to most of the flaws I and many other have mentioned in PES 2012. How you can have "no problem" with the things I mentioned is beyond me. They are all right there slapping you in the face every single time the game is played as far as I'm concerned.

Its not turning a 'blind eye' to the flaws, we all know they are there but then no game is perfect.
PES12 plays very very well when it behaves, when it misbehaves it shows the flaws more, but to say its a mess and every game is the same is inaccurate/
Its also amusing how you talk down condescendingly to people who enjoy the game, making out they are almost morons for doing so.
You fail to realise that the people moaning constantly on this forum are around 0.01% of the total people worldwide that are just getting on and playing the game and enjoying it.

You are a dying breed but good luck to you. It must be nice to still enjoy PES despite the state Konami have let it get into.

by 'dying breed' you mean that the number of people that admit the game isnt perfect and that it has some issues, but still manage to get enjoyment from it are in the minority???
Seriously? so 3million approx sales worldwide and you're saying the majority of those dont enjoy the game?

:))

PJR I'm not going to bother arguing with you about the quality of PES 2012 as you clearly play a completely different PES 2012 to the one I have at home. Your comment about having a scrappy, tight, midfield battle baffles me as this is simply not possible in the game I own. Suffice to say I think the game is absolutely terrible, not just as a football game but as a game in general. You disagree and that's fine, it doesn't make my opinion "inaccurate" though does it?

The strange thing is you admit to experiencing the problems I mention and talk about the game "misbehaving" (whatever the hell that means) then tell me you're NOT turning a blind eye to the flaws in the game? Bizarre.

You quote the 3 million sales figure as proof that PES 2012 is loved throughout the world whereas I would say that's proof of nothing more than the misplaced loyalty of the PES fanbase. How many of those 3 million copies were traded in or are currently gathering dust at home? There are 76 pages of complaints on this thread alone, how many people on this FAN SITE are actually still praising the game? It's irrelevant anyway because I couldn't give a shit who loves the game and who doesn't, I could be the only person in the world who doesn't like it and it wouldn't change my opinion so you quoting meaningless figures at me wont make any difference.

If you think I'm condescending that's your misconception and your problem. I've said many times I have nothing against people who enjoy the game, I just cant understand WHY they enjoy it. I also cant understand how anyone can enjoy eating olives as I find them disgusting, it doesn't mean I think they're "morons".

Last edited:
Just read on WENB that Jenky has passed his gaming exams for Capcom and will be joining them. Which is a great shame as this is a guy who Konami could have taken on board, hopefully they can still get someone like Yair to help out before his talents are noticed by someone else.

The problem with some of the PES guys, and Adam is falling into this trap, is their self importance. I don't think anyone related to the PES production actually want people to help and absolutely hate criticism of this shining gem on the PS3! You mention anything negative about it on WENB and members jump down your throat when quite obviously the PS3 version is pretty average. At least on here the game can be dissected properly and people can have their opinions; at times I think PES is its own worst enemy for being so inclusive and touchy about their game.

I think you are you right, I think people actually forget this a profit making business that Konami are running and we actually shell out 40 notes for the game, which gives us the right to post postive or negative comments - I don't understand this stance that wenb portrays anyway, it kinda goes against the ethos of an open forum!

Then how come I don't see these flaws in each and every game like you say? I do get a lot of fouls for example. The things you say might happen sometimes, not to the point where it's every time though, else that'll get very annoying for me. And I don't think it's on rails as well. On rails to me is more like the PS2 versions. This has much less rails to it. I'm not saying it's completely free, it's just not as on rails as you're implying it is. That's why I say you exaggerate things. There are faults and no one's denying their existence, but you take these faults and multiply by 100.

Dying breed or not, I'm enjoying the game for what it is and it lets me do what I want to, that is trying to play like real football. Sometimes it doesn't work, but hey I understand it's a game and it ain't perfect.

I don't know about WENB much, but I don't think they're as ignorant as some are implying.

Anyway, despite it's flaws, I really like PES 2012.

;)

Last night I fired up PES2012 for the first time this year, hoping that some time away will do me good. Perhaps I've been to harsh on the game? Unfortunately not. Two games in and I turned it off again.

Without wishing to tread over old ground again, what strikes me the most about PES2012 is how it's almost completely lacking in fun. It's a complete grind to play. Even the simple act of knocking the ball about looks and feels awkward, sluggish and lethargic. Every game involves a siege on an entrenched defence. Every long shot I attempt is magically charged down by a defender. In the event that I do find some space to get a decent shot away from outside the area, the ball is struck with all the venom of a toddler toe-punting a full-size football.

The simple things in PES used to be fun. Spraying the ball around, taking shots on goal, beating a man. All of these things just feel wrong these days. I'm not asking for a fully-assisted arcade game, but there is something to be said for the way arcade elements can make a football game so much fun and addictive.

Pes 2012 is zero fun - too right!

I fired pes 2010 up which is lacking big time, but it did some of the basic's right like shooting and fluidity of gameplay. In comparison I find myself preferring pes 2010 on this gen as my favourite pes, and that ain't saying alot!

I like a lot of what PES2012 has to offer but there is much I don't like also. The good tends to outweigh the bad for the most part in my experience and I have racked up hours upon hours of play (amassed in shorter burst than previous years admittedly) as a result, but that doesn't mean that I am ignorant to the games shortcomings. Some of these shortcomings are pure personal taste and could be deemed very much my own but there are of course others in which I share the opinion of countless others. I really don't see what is so controversial, damaging, or corrupted about such an outlook.

Anyway, I immediately thought of PES and the community at large when I read this...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-11-why-devs-owe-you-nothing

Last night I fired up PES2012 for the first time this year, hoping that some time away will do me good. Perhaps I've been to harsh on the game? Unfortunately not. Two games in and I turned it off again.

Without wishing to tread over old ground again, what strikes me the most about PES2012 is how it's almost completely lacking in fun. It's a complete grind to play. Even the simple act of knocking the ball about looks and feels awkward, sluggish and lethargic. Every game involves a siege on an entrenched defence. Every long shot I attempt is magically charged down by a defender. In the event that I do find some space to get a decent shot away from outside the area, the ball is struck with all the venom of a toddler toe-punting a full-size football.

The simple things in PES used to be fun. Spraying the ball around, taking shots on goal, beating a man. All of these things just feel wrong these days. I'm not asking for a fully-assisted arcade game, but there is something to be said for the way arcade elements can make a football game so much fun and addictive.

It's dire, I cant even play Demo 2 now for any more than 3 games at a time.

Back
Top Bottom