The Mobile Phone thread

Re: Best mobile phone out there

I considered that phone, it looks damn nice, but opted for the N96 8GB in the end. The WiFi swayed me, as well as the storage space.

The Viewty looks nice, has a touch interface, same camera as the N95 and I'd definately consider it.

I must admit, the chunkiness of the N95 is starting to put me off it a bit. Some of the apps can be slow to load up, the menu system generally feels sluggish, and the browser is poo. Even using Opera Mini on my D900i was better than this (and I've tried OM on this phone and it doesn't feel right).

Last edited by a moderator:

T-mobile have given me 12 months free webnwalk to come over to them so the wifi wont really be missed i hope. Looked at the N95 but the looks of the viety swayed me, ive heard the video recording on it is amazing!

120fps on the Viewty compared to 30fps on the N95, pretty good hammering right there :)

I considered that phone, it looks damn nice, but opted for the N96 8GB in the end. The WiFi swayed me, as well as the storage space.

The Viewty looks nice, has a touch interface, same camera as the N95 and I'd definately consider it.

I must admit, the chunkiness of the N95 is starting to put me off it a bit. Some of the apps can be slow to load up, the menu system generally feels sluggish, and the browser is poo. Even using Opera Mini on my D900i was better than this (and I've tried OM on this phone and it doesn't feel right).

haha

Have you ever been satisfied with something you have bought ;))

I'm satisfied with this phone really, it is a very nice phone. But I've came from a pretty basic D900i which was very thin (VERY thin I thought), had hardly any power behind it so ran pretty quickly and Opera Mini ran well on it. It's just a case of getting used to the thickness of this phone really, the speed of the OS will improve with firmware releases.

We're just waiting for Samir to release a version which we can sign, I'm sure it wont be far away DJ :)

Anyone on O2 with an N95? I've never been able to get a better connection than GPRS so my download speeds have been utter crap. I should be getting a 3G logo in the top left of my screen when I'm in an area that I can get HSDPA but I've never had that :(

I'm wondering if, when I debranded my phone, I've lost some settings somewhere. I've got Packet Data set to "when available" but the "Access Point" box is empty. Can someone on O2 tell me if there's meant to be something in there?

Already got the settings, I guess Liverpool/Warrington must be shitty for getting 3G connections :(

What is debranding?

When you get a phone from O2/Vodafone/3 etc, you'll notice they have their own startup logo, backgrounds, themes etc. Debranding removes all of that.

Occasionally some companies may also restrict certain phone features (I believe Vodafone have removed a few on the N95) and debranding gives you those back.

And lastly, phone companies use their own version of the phones firmware. Nokia might release a new firmware update today, and O2 might not release their version for months. Debranding lets you use the generic Nokia firmware as opposed to having to wait for your phone company to catch-up.

Anyone on O2 with an N95? I've never been able to get a better connection than GPRS so my download speeds have been utter crap. I should be getting a 3G logo in the top left of my screen when I'm in an area that I can get HSDPA but I've never had that :(

I'm wondering if, when I debranded my phone, I've lost some settings somewhere. I've got Packet Data set to "when available" but the "Access Point" box is empty. Can someone on O2 tell me if there's meant to be something in there?
When you say empty, do you not have 02 mms or 02 mobile web
or wap under access points.. In my access box I have mobile.o2.co.uk

what process did you use to debrand your n95?

Used NSS (program you download) to change the product key to a standard EURO1 code, then run the Nokia Update app and it see's a new firmware, click to grab it and you're set :)

When you say empty, do you not have 02 mms or 02 mobile web
or wap under access points.. In my access box I have mobile.o2.co.uk

That was the one I needed, the mobile.o2.co.uk one, Joe provided me with it yesterday and I've started getting EDGE connections now :D

Cheers tho Nick!

Had my Viewty for a day now, must say im quite impressed it certainly looks the part, very easy to use although the delete key for writing out text or email ect is actuly not on the touch screen but is a normal button inbetween the call and end. Camara is very good and the Video is really quite amazing for a mobile, There is no lens cover though which is quite dissapointing, You tube and google maps built in is quite cool feature, not sure yet what other apps are out there for it. Scrolling on the net takes some getting used to, i keep clicking links rather than scrolling down the web page. how does the iphone manage with this?

no1 likes the HTC TYTN 2?

i've been a huge fan of the smartphone/ppc since the original SPV e100 way back in 2003.

since then, i've had the yearly orange upgrade, going from e200, c500, c600 and m3100.

my contract is up at the end of this month, and the tytn 2 is the obvious progression, but i just feel bored now with the ppc and i'm looking for a change. i own an iphone, but i'm not sure what phone to go for in a few weeks when my contract is up for renewal...

Back
Top Bottom